closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ‘Hangover’ from non alcoholic beer?

‘Hangover’ from non alcoholic beer?

I’ve not had a drink for a months now, just in the interests of trying to cut down and be healthier.

A couple of weekends back I had a load of non alcoholic beers and G&Ts and woke up feeling worse than I would after 10 real pints. Proper fuzzy head, headache, lethargic, nasty.

Last night I thought I’d try again whilst out with the boys for a curry.

I had 2 of the tiny Cobra Zero beers and again, woke up with a banging headache and massively fuzzy head. Only just starting to feel normal again at 2pm!

Anyone else had this issue? Google throws up a few similar stories but it does t seem to be a common thing.

What the heck is it?

Your mates are spiking your drinks?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Your mates are spiking your drinks?
    He said he had a sore head not a sore.......

Journeyman
    You might have an intolerance to alcohol. I have it and I can’t have even a small amount without skin flushing, flu like symptoms and a banging head in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Diuretic maybe?

I remember trying non-alcoholic beer a few years ago and getting hangovers. Can't see the point of the stuff - it doesn't even taste nice. Now I either drink the real thing or stick to soft drinks.

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    Blog Entries
    I drink a lot of Becks Blue and have never had this problem.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I drink a lot of Becks Blue and have never had this problem.
    Me also

I have a month off drinking every now and again, and if I’m being honest with myself, I don’t have any of the supposed clear head and feeling much better in the morning benefits that the teetotal evangelists claim.

I think feeling a bit groggy and tired in the morning is probably just normal, particularly if it’s been a late night, and if you’ve been drinking the previous night, you just blame it on the booze.

Blog Entries
    I had a night of drinking non alcoholic beer a couple of years ago, I wouldn’t say it was a hangover but I felt horrible the following day, headache, nauseous... hell I am describing a hangover!!! all I can think of is what the hell are the chemicals they put in that stuff, had a couple of pints of it since and same thing but not as bad. Last time I drink any, if I can’t have a drink I stick to Diet Coke or orange and lemonade.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a night of drinking non alcoholic beer a couple of years ago, I wouldn’t say it was a hangover but I felt horrible the following day, headache, nauseous... hell I am describing a hangover!!! all I can think of is what the hell are the chemicals they put in that stuff, had a couple of pints of it since and same thing but not as bad. Last time I drink any, if I can’t have a drink I stick to Diet Coke or orange and lemonade.

Craftsman
    Have experienced similar, we went to St Peters Brewery for the tour. The guide was explaining the processes but "glossed over" the process for their non alcohol products saying they are brewed in the same way and the alcohol removed. I was driving and had a few sips of their regular product and elected to have a pint of the no alcohol beer, now I'm a seasoned beer buff, but the no alcohol beer didn't taste good, had a "fizzy" mouthfeel and I had a stinking headache soon after. A great shame as I wanted it to be good but it just wasn't. I believe hangovers are caused by the lack of hydration, I understand alcohol causes this but can't figure out why this no alcohol beer did the same/worse so will just avoid in future. Cheers, John B4

Master
    Surely if it’s made the same way the issue is your constitution rather than the beer.

I realised a couple of years ago why I was always ill and it was the food and drink I was having. Drinking beer would have me bad the next day, certain foods and I’d feel weak and depressed almost (as well as dodgy stomach)

Changed my diet and was like a weight lifted, unbelievable difference.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am teetotal and alcohol free beer always gives me a headache.

On another note, I find it immensely irritating that most pubs only serve soft drinks fit for children. I do not want to drink tooth rotting fruit juice or sickly fizzy pop. Not 0% beer is no longer an option I am frequently left with only water. What's wrong with a decent selection of adult cordials? Not drinking alcohol should not automatically equate to having a sweet tooth.

I find that that good quality drinks (and food) leave me waking up the next day feeling fine. Poor quality drinks and junk food leave me waking up feeling like crap. I’ve put this down to additives/chemicals that aren’t present in good quality organic products. I wonder if some of the alcohol free beers have other stuff added to them?

Processed chemical cocktail = not good!

Quote Originally Posted by UsefulG View Post
    You might have an intolerance to alcohol. I have it and I can’t have even a small amount without skin flushing, flu like symptoms and a banging head in the morning.
    We’re alking about non alcoholic beers! I’ve no issues with drinking masss of the real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Surely if it’s made the same way the issue is your constitution rather than the beer.

I realised a couple of years ago why I was always ill and it was the food and drink I was having. Drinking beer would have me bad the next day, certain foods and I’d feel weak and depressed almost (as well as dodgy stomach)

Changed my diet and was like a weight lifted, unbelievable difference.
    Interested to hear more detail about which foods and drinks you changed.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post

On another note, I find it immensely irritating that most pubs only serve soft drinks fit for children. I do not want to drink tooth rotting fruit juice or sickly fizzy pop. Not 0% beer is no longer an option I am frequently left with only water. What's wrong with a decent selection of adult cordials? Not drinking alcohol should not automatically equate to having a sweet tooth.
    Totally agree. After this realisation, I’m pretty much stuck with J2O’s or fizzy water.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Becks Blue wont give you a bad head. Try it
    I’ve tried them all mate. Becks Blue wasn’t as bad as some but still gave me a monster headache the next day.

I wonder if it’s the malt or hops they use that’s different. Interesting that there seem to be a good few people finding the same reaction to non alcoholic beer, but pretty much zero info on the topic seems to be out there.
    Last edited by mr noble; 29th April 2018 at 22:23.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

What the heck is it?
    Do you have a connection to the Royal Air Force?

Craftsman
    Could be the preservatives?

When you used to drink alcoholic beer did it impact you like this?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I have a month off drinking every now and again, and if I’m being honest with myself, I don’t have any of the supposed clear head and feeling much better in the morning benefits that the teetotal evangelists claim.

I think feeling a bit groggy and tired in the morning is probably just normal, particularly if it’s been a late night, and if you’ve been drinking the previous night, you just blame it on the booze.
    I have come to the conclusion that not drinking, losing weight, getting fit etc. doesn't make you feel better. It just makes you feel less shit.

fizzy water and a dash of angostura bitters.
    i dont drink fizzy sugary pop, thats what i drink in bars/pubs if i don't want alcohol. you can substitute the soda for slimline tonic. there is alcohol in bitters but if you are having 1ml at 40% alcohol in 500ml its insignificant.

I was under the impression that it's by-products of fermentation/distillation/brewing called congeners which contribute greatly to hangovers.

I have no idea if they are present in low- or zero-alcohol drinks, however.
    ______

​Jim.

Can't find any onfo to suggest there are congeners in non-alcoholic booze.

I'll get a hangover from normal beer too. Less so from white wine and bubbly stuff. Red wine isn't as bad for me as beer either.

Just amazed to feel so crappy after drinking non-alcoholic pop.

I wonder if any science research folks are looking into why it happens..? They've probably all got better things to do.

Grand Master
    I would definitely blame the congeners, these are the organic chemicals present in small quantities that give beer much of its flavour, it's well-known they can give you a thick head and contribute significantly to the hangover feeling.

I had a similar experience many years ago, I was racing next day but out on the Saturday, so I wisely (?) drank a very low alcohol lager called Swan Lite that was popular at the time. I probably had around 5 or 6 pints over the night. Next morning I woke up feeling worse than if I`d drunk normal beer, with the characteristic thick head associated with a hangover.

I raced in the afternoon and did'nt run well. I would've been better drinking 3-4 pints of normal beer, something I often did on a Saturday and trained OK on Sunday mornings. After that episode I avoided drinking low alcohol beers in quantity. Ironically, Swan lite lager was probably the bebst of the low alcohol beers, I think it was around 0.5% from memory.

I don`t think the OP's experience is down to the (very low) amount of alcohol in the drink unless he has a proven intolerance to alcohol....and if that was the case I`m sure he'd know about it by now.

Paul

If it was brewed in the U.K. then it might have contained lots of preservatives. Which based upon personal exprience gives me horrible headaches.

Hence I only drink export beers these days.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Preservatives/....congeners?......there's something else besides alcohol that causes hangovers. I spent a short time working in Switzerland, stayed on the German ride of the Rhine, and drank plenty of German beer (nothing else to do at night!). Never had a hangover next morning despite drinking plenty.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 30th April 2018 at 22:00.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Can't find any onfo to suggest there are congeners in non-alcoholic booze.

I'll get a hangover from normal beer too. Less so from white wine and bubbly stuff. Red wine isn't as bad for me as beer either.

Just amazed to feel so crappy after drinking non-alcoholic pop.

I wonder if any science research folks are looking into why it happens..? They've probably all got better things to do.

I've been conducting a privately funded research project into the effects of beer, wines and spirits for the majority of my almost 61 years. I've come to the conclusion that I find them all very enjoyable.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Have you tried Seedlip? A distilled botanical in a similar way to gin but without alcohol. Created exactly to challenge alcohol rejectors into something interesting to drink from Diageo’s research.

I love it at get through a bottle of ‘garden’ a week, my favourite vs the ‘spice’ although both are good. Only thing that annoys me is paying more for it than gin despite a lack of duty.

Some of the better pubs I frequent have it available, the more less evolved ones look at you blankly if ordered!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Have you tried Seedlip? A distilled botanical in a similar way to gin but without alcohol. Created exactly to challenge alcohol rejectors into something interesting to drink from Diageo’s research.

I love it at get through a bottle of ‘garden’ a week, my favourite vs the ‘spice’ although both are good. Only thing that annoys me is paying more for it than gin despite a lack of duty.

Some of the better pubs I frequent have it available, the more less evolved ones look at you blankly if ordered!

Do you treat it like bitters - very concentrated so just a dash of it in something, or more like a cordial, with a measure akin to spirits and then add your mixer?

At 20+ a bottle, it's not a total winner on the financial side of things!

you'll get 'hangovers' from the impurities in what you eat and drink - so if you over indulge a bit in food and drinks - you dehydrate a bit too from all the boogeying etc...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Do you treat it like bitters - very concentrated so just a dash of it in something, or more like a cordial, with a measure akin to spirits and then add your mixer?

At 20+ a bottle, it's not a total winner on the financial side of things!
    Sorry, missed this!

It is more akin to spirits in measure size. Although thank you for reminding me about bitters, not used it for ages but something I’ve always enjoyed with tonic.

Certainly not a winner price wise, I justify it in not being able to put a price on health and will happily drink it instead of a G&T.

Quote Originally Posted by UsefulG View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is me. I never thought it could be an actual intolerance. I only need one drink and face is red and I don’t get Merry I feel rough.

I stopped drinking over five months ago, really don't see the point in non-alcoholic beer, give me a cup of tea any day.