closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longines Hydroconquest

Apprentice

Longines Hydroconquest

I seem to have an uncontrollable urge to buy a Hydroconquest in the near future although I'm not sure how well it will go on my twig like wrists (less than 6.5").

Unfortunately I haven't been able to see one in the flesh as the local shops don't have them in stock. I'm also debating whether to go quartz (a 'grab and go' watch) or automatic. The quartz is 41mm whereas the auto comes in either 39mm and 41mm.

Will probably buy second hand as I would hopefully lose less if I find that the reality doesn't live up to the dream. I'm trying to sit on my hands to prevent me clicking 'buy it now' on a well known auction site.

Any TZers care to share their thoughts? I've already browsed a lot of the threads using the forum search but not sure if it's helped !.

I'm currently wearing a SARB033 which is a nice size, but could go up a few mm without it looking like I'm wearing a clock on my wrist (hopefully) .

Cheers :)

Craftsman
    A great value watch for the money, in my opinion. I have a similar sized wrist and have owned both the 41mm and the 39mm auto. I bought and sold the 41mm pretty quickly because it did feel and look a bit too large on me but I really liked the watch so kept a lookout for the 39mm which was much better. After a few months I fancied trying something different but it's one of the watches I do wish I'd hung on to. I paid less that £450 for each of mine and didn't lose anything when I sold them. Even the 39mm was quite heavy on the wrist with the bracelet, so I also wore it on a black leather strap for a while. I know that a diver on leather is a contentious subject (!) but I thought it worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Just go in and try one on and if you like it buy if not don't. Simple isn't it.
    Did you even bother reading the original post?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryTDM View Post
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to see one in the flesh as the local shops don't have them in stock.
    I bought a 39mm quartz Hydroconquest for my twig-wristed son and I have to say it's a cracking little watch for the money. I'm sure they regularly pop up on eBay if you want to go 2nd hand.

Apprentice
    A very strange post indeed! Want to buy second hand in case you don't like it??? This model is available at big chains like Goldsmiths, Beaverbrooks, Ernest Jones. Just go in and try one on and if you like it buy if not don't. Simple isn't it.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    And two of these big chains are in my town and they don't stock it. Hence my post. If it was that easy I would have done so.

Craftsman
    Just found a photo of mine on the strap.... IMG_20140124_080431.jpg

Not sure I’ve still got any photos of mine. The bracelet doesn’t come with any half links (or didn’t when I was looking), you might need to order a regular conquest half link as I did to get a good fit.

I have the auto 41 and have 7.75 wrists, it is a good size and weight on the bracelet, I would imagine a 39mm would be a good size for you but I guess that would depend on your preference

I personally think it is a great watch for the money and is very versatile suiting (just about) every strap I have thrown at it.

The only pic I have to hand on my wrist is on the rubber... to me it feels bigger on the bracelet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they really are a fantastic watch and, in my humble opinion, possibly the best value Swiss Made automatic out there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes I did and if it's the watch you want be prepared to go none local!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'll keep my reply to the draft thread...

Banned
    I think the hydro is a very hard to beat watch in its price range , I’d go auto , better size , has a heart and a lovely all round watch .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I bought the quartz 39mm HC with red bezel for a holiday watch . It was the now discontinued non-pcl version with numbers all the way round the face rather than the 12-3-6-9 . Perfect size for my 6.75" wrist and very well made. As a grab and go, I don't think you can fault it from wise.
    As an aside, for some inexplicable reason, I have just bought myself a Hamilton khaki navy scuba for just over £400, which may replace it as thoroughly good value for money (not that I need another black faced auto sub in the watch box).

In a moment of madness I bought two, a white dial black bezel and a black dial red bezel and stopped the bezels over as I want a white and red combination.
    Nice watch, but with no half link getting a good fit was impossible so as mentioned already ordered a half link from a conquest and that made it much better.
    I didn’t keep either very long, can’t put my finger on why but just not for me, but good value if bought used.

Have a few seiko divers but this will be my next purchase although I don’t know if it will be the current model or the new one for the extra couple of hundred

Hi.
    I've had mine from new about 2 years and as above have dropped a cheap plastic / rubber on it. I wear it as a going abroad holiday beater and it slips under the radar but its a top quality piece.
    At the time i got it there was a toss up between this model and model with just the 6, 9 and 12 numerals but that looked too divers so went with this 12 numeral which i think crosses both camps. It's a bit diver and a bit dressy it you know what i mean.
    Also mine was been discontinued and is supposed to have a better quality movement , so cheaper and better, lol.
    A past photo.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I find my Hydroconquest so easy to read and the two sizes really do make a massive difference even though 39mm compared to 41mm doesn't sound a lot. Plus if you don't like it, they are very popular anyone easy to move on.
    I currently have the 41mm, quartz, gold two tone blue dial, but also had the 41mm auto stainless black dial dial/bezel and 41mm auto stainless black dial dial and red bezel. On balance i prefer the quartz as they are cheaper and less hassle and as i have 7.5" wrists 41mm is a no brainer but for you, definitely go for 39mm versions :)

And here's a photo of my current hydroconquest :)

Last edited by odyseus10; 29th April 2018 at 12:13. Reason: Added photo

Apprentice

Thanks

Thanks to all those who have contributed positively to this thread :)

I'm aware of the issues around getting a good fit with the bracelet and the workaround with obtaining a conquest half link. Anybody know if this works with the 39mm version or just the 41mm?.

I believe the 39mm quartz is discontinued, so would definitely be s/h if this is what I decide on.

I'm currently trying out a £14.99 Casio 'diver' (bought following a thread on here around December time) which measures in at about 42mm which doesn't seem overlarge , so I might be able to wear a HC 41mm on a strap (and yes I'm fully aware that this might not be a perfect test for all the keyboard warriors out there).

Thanks again.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I find my Hydroconquest so easy to read and the two sizes really do make a massive difference even though 39mm compared to 41mm doesn't sound a lot. Plus if you don't like it, they are very popular anyone easy to move on.
    I currently have the 41mm, quartz, gold two tone blue dial, but also had the 41mm auto stainless black dial dial/bezel and 41mm auto stainless black dial dial and red bezel. On balance i prefer the quartz as they are cheaper and less hassle and as i have 7.5" wrists 41mm is a no brainer but for you, definitely go for 39mm versions :)
    Thanks - you posted whilst I was typing my earlier response. Being 6ft and 12 stone, I always assumed my wrists would be a bit bigger. I think even 6.5 ins is being slightly optimistic.

The lug widths are 21mm and 19mm for 41mm and 39mm case sizes respectively, so you will need to see if you can get half size links as required?

Master
    Great watches for the money, here’s my 41mm auto:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the 39mm quartz is discontinued, so would definitely be s/h if this is what I decide on.
    Hi Jerry,

39mm automatic is definitely available s/h. Judging by your wrist size I would recommend the 39mm. I used to have the 39mm white dialled automatic diver with red markers. Moved it on quite quickly simply because I never got on with the crown.

Happy hunting!
    Mark

Master
    There was a lovely grey/blue dial version of this watch. Saw it in 39mm and it really looked perfect on my 6.75 inch wrist. Occasionally looked for it but never found it!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Several times I came close to buying a HydroConquest which is a great watch for the price, but I don't like polished centre links. When the lovely Mark 2 came out I had diverted my spare cash to housing projects and by the time I had spare cash again, the Mark 2 was history. A great shame but life goes on.

Visually the current/original watch looks a bit too much like the Orient which was my first "diver style" watch - and which was only just over £100. Consequently I don't feel the love for the standard dial.

Thanks to all those who have contributed positively to this thread :)

I'm aware of the issues around getting a good fit with the bracelet and the workaround with obtaining a conquest half link. Anybody know if this works with the 39mm version or just the 41mm?.

I'm currently trying out a £14.99 Casio 'diver' (bought following a thread on here around December time) which measures in at about 42mm which doesn't seem overlarge , so I might be able to wear a HC 41mm on a strap (and yes I'm fully aware that this might not be a perfect test for all the keyboard warriors out there).

Thanks again.
    Hi

I had the 39mm Hydroconquest auto, which sounds like the better size option for yourself. I thought it was a lovely watch, the only problem was that I couldn’t get a good fit on the bracelet. I tried to get a half link but my search led me to believe they were only available for the 41mm model. I ended up fitting it on a Pav leather strap, IMO it looked good and felt great.

Cheers

Awesome bang for your buck, I have a bi metal blue/gold quartz Hydroconquest bought off a well know auction sight at a great price & only 7 months old at the time! I wanted a 'sub-you-like' style watch without being a Rolex homage, think Steinhart, Davosa etc. The Hydroconquest fitted the bill perfectly as it has its own identity but is similar in style to a sub. Longines also has buckets of history as a brand, with some classic models in its range over the years. I also wanted a quartz (grab & go) as all my other watches were auto's. It's been my most worn watch now for the past few months......says it all really.

Craftsman
    Have the 41mm version and find it a bit on the large and heavy size.

Apprentice

Update

Well if anybody is still interested I took the plunge and acquired a secondhand one off a 'well known auction site'. On the basis that you only ever really hire things off ebay :)

In the end I went for a 41mm (or is it 42mm?) quartz model. I kept remeasuring my wrists and getting different results and got fed up and just went for it as39mm quartz appear very thin on the ground, (or were when I was looking), reasoning that it wouldn't cost me too much to move it on if it didn't work out..

Very pleased with it, large but not overly so. I've managed a good fit with the bracelet but I've bought one of Eddies 22mm rubber straps to squeeze on as an experiment.

I went quartz as I wanted minimum fuss. I've never had a watch with a screwdown crown before and I'm glad I don't need to touch it very often, I was paranoid I was going to cross thread it.

That hopefully concludes my watch buying for a little bit, especially as I've just found out I'm likely to be made redundant. :)

Craftsman
    Glad you found one that met your needs. Hope you continue to enjoy wearing it but as you say, they seem to hold their value pretty well so you shouldn't lose too much should you wish to move it on again.

These are great looking watches, any chance of a wrist shot?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I'll try and get a picture sorted tomorrow. Might do a poor man's SOTC.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax99 View Post
    Great watches for the money, here’s my 41mm auto:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I started getting into watches these were a lust item for me. It's passed now, but I still love them, especially in blue. I really should get one. But, I think I've just figured out why I didn't really take to these new full numeral dials over the original layout.

Is it me, or are the 6, 9 & 12 larger than the remaining numerals?

Journeyman
    Yep :)

Master
    I'm after one at the moment, either 39 or 41 mm and not bothered whether its quartz ot automatic.
    I've been outbid on ebay twice in the last week, the second time by a matter of seconds and £10.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I'm after one at the moment, either 39 or 41 mm and not bothered whether its quartz ot automatic.
    I've been outbid on ebay twice in the last week, the second time by a matter of seconds and £10.
    probably using a auction bidder like myibidder...worth a look rather than being in a bidding war

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    probably using a auction bidder like myibidder...worth a look rather than being in a bidding war
    Auction bidder??
    I'll have to look into that. A note came up saying please bid 455, with seconds to go, which i did but 465 won
    Last edited by RD200; 27th September 2018 at 08:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuisance Value View Post
    When I started getting into watches these were a lust item for me. It's passed now, but I still love them, especially in blue. I really should get one. But, I think I've just figured out why I didn't really take to these new full numeral dials over the original layout.

Is it me, or are the 6, 9 & 12 larger than the remaining numerals?
    It obviously wasn't a popular design as they went back to the original in a year or so, making that model quite rare these days!

Funny, as when it came out there were lots of 'oohs and ahhs' from TZers about how much better this design was than the previous (and again current) one - Guess it just shows (again ) that TZ isn't really typical of most watch buyers.

Me? I bought the original style when they announced this one because I preferred the simpler looking dial (less numbers)

I still think the HC is a cracking watch for the money and I really like Longines as a brand, although if I'm honest, my 39mm auto tends to get passed over in favour of my Sinn Arktis when I choose a watch to wear (if I'm REALLY honest, most of my watches do!).

I'm kind of surprised they haven't released it with a ceramic bezel though, seems to be the thing to do, but then I guess it may conflict with other watches from stablemate brands...

This thread, though, has inspired me to put it on this morning!

M

PS I seem to recall the 'all numbers' version had a better movement, anyone know if they kept that when reverting to the original design dial?
    Last edited by snowman; 27th September 2018 at 08:49.

Craftsman
    The HC is a very nice watch but if I am not wrong they did 2 sizes ? 39 and 41? I would prefer the bigger one. But nice watch

Master
    I've always liked the look of these. The thing that has put me off is the crown and crown guards look a bit too pointy. I have seen a couple of reviews saying they are uncomfortable on the back of huge hand.

I suppose the answer to that is to try one on.

Had a HC as my first fairly expensive (for me) watch in 2015. Paid about 800 quid at goldsmiths for the updated 41mm auto in black. To be honest despite all my flipping among omega, zenith, seiko etc etc etc. I've yet to significantly better the HC in terms of how it felt on the wrist. I traded it for a Ball Engineer Hydro Carbon which was a significantly better built watch in all respects especially the bracelet. But then it should be at over 2 grand a pop new. The only part of the HC which disappointed me was the diver extension and the clasp on the bracelet, both of which felt slightly inferior to my citizen promaster excalibur...though the clasp closing bracket was better on the Longines. I think the HC is a good buy used. If i was to start over again I would probably have gone for the Oris Aquis at only 300 quid more than the HC. I also had an LLD for a short time which i liked better to look at, but not on my skinny wrist. The HC felt fine on my 6.5inch wrist even at 41mm. Which is probably the best recommendation for it. Despite preferring the Aquis it would probably have become heavy and tiresome to wear except for its intended purpose. Nope HC is a good all rounder.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    Had a HC as my first fairly expensive (for me) watch in 2015. Paid about 800 quid at goldsmiths for the updated 41mm auto in black. To be honest despite all my flipping among omega, zenith, seiko etc etc etc. I've yet to significantly better the HC in terms of how it felt on the wrist. I traded it for a Ball Engineer Hydro Carbon which was a significantly better built watch in all respects especially the bracelet. But then it should be at over 2 grand a pop new. The only part of the HC which disappointed me was the diver extension and the clasp on the bracelet, both of which felt slightly inferior to my citizen promaster excalibur...though the clasp closing bracket was better on the Longines. I think the HC is a good buy used. If i was to start over again I would probably have gone for the Oris Aquis at only 300 quid more than the HC. I also had an LLD for a short time which i liked better to look at, but not on my skinny wrist. The HC felt fine on my 6.5inch wrist even at 41mm. Which is probably the best recommendation for it. Despite preferring the Aquis it would probably have become heavy and tiresome to wear except for its intended purpose. Nope HC is a good all rounder.
    Good to know the 41mm is OK on a skinny wrist
    Last edited by RD200; 27th September 2018 at 17:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    The HC is a very nice watch but if I am not wrong they did 2 sizes ? 39 and 41? I would prefer the bigger one. But nice watch
    They do, but if you think 2mm makes much difference...

I've never understood why they do two sizes so close, side by side you can make out a difference, but on the wrist...?

M

Apprentice
    I bought my 41mm quartz off eBay as there weren't any 39mm ones going at the time. I would like to try the smaller one sometime. I have managed to get a good fit with the 41 bracelet but sod's is that I'll get a 39 and the bracelet won't micro adjust correctly for my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    They do, but if you think 2mm makes much difference...

I've never understood why they do two sizes so close, side by side you can make out a difference, but on the wrist...?

M
    I bought the 39mm after trying the 41mm. For me it was a much better fit on the wrist. Obviously lug to lug is smaller than the 41mm to.

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
    I bought the 39mm after trying the 41mm. For me it was a much better fit on the wrist. Obviously lug to lug is smaller than the 41mm to.

Cheers
    Which colour did you get, auto or quartz ?
    I originally wanted blue but already have a seamaster and an Aquaracer in that colour.
    Last edited by RD200; 28th September 2018 at 07:41.

Which colour did you get, auto or quartz ?
    I originally wanted blue but already have a seamaster snd an Aquaracer in that colour.
    Hi
    I bought the automatic red model with the full arabic dial, it was a very nice watch. The only problem I had was getting a good fit on the bracelet. There is no half link l, and I believe they are unavailable for the 39mm but Cousins could supply them for the 41mm. Anyway it’s doesn't matter now, I put it on a nice Pav strap and gave it my Dad.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Waldorf; 28th September 2018 at 07:45. Reason: Info missed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
    Hi
    I bought the automatic red model with the full arabic dial, it was a very nice watch. The only problem I had was getting a good fit on the bracelet. There is no half link l, and I believe they are unavailable for the 39mm but Cousins could supply them for the 41mm. Anyway it’s doesn't matter now, I put it on a nice Pav strap and gave it my Dad.
    Cheers
    I'd only seen the red chronograph before but i like the one you had. What does your dad think?

Journeyman
    I had the 41mm for several years and only sold it recently as I needed funds elsewhere. Possibly a mistake selling, but couldn't help it at the time.

I have a 6.5" wrist and it wore very well

I've seen them in stock at most big ADs. Try Fraser Hart. Also if you really want try one on then order a brand new one online and you can always return it if you're unhappy. Much less risky than buying secondhand

Craftsman
    I've had the blue one and I think they wear smaller .! Not a thick watch height wise. Thing about this model i like it's very smart for suit and very sporty casual .Imho bargi n buying one second hand nearly new on Tz....wicked auto

I had the 41mm black dial auto and think these are great watches. You can often get these with a great discount too if you use voucher code. I got 15% off RRP from Ernst Jones.

Interested to see what the new model with ceramic bezel is like...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.a...mic-bezel/amp/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bigger I see! 41mm and 43mm

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I'd only seen the red chronograph before but i like the one you had. What does your dad think?
    TBH although I’m sure he appreciated it, he’s just not a watch person. When I gave it him he said
    “Thanks, i’ll use that ......................for telling the time!”. At least now its getting worn everyday for everything.