closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a classic car

Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    Have a low mileage mk1 and couldn’t agree more
    I used an MGB GT for a couple of years as my daily driver and while it was fun it wasn't too much fun commuting and being at the mercy of everyone else and that's without factoring in the chrome bumper blindness that causes lots of people to pull out in front of you (or nip in coming up to some lights) because they think you'll get in their way. I also used a Porsche 924S as a daily driver for a couple of years and while it was a lot better I'd not do it again. Remember that modern cars have ABS and lots more grip and people drive relying on them and with little consideration for cars without.

I now have a Big Healey in the garage and an MX-5 Mk1. I used MX-5s for a number of years as daily drivers and they're brilliant. Always start, things don't tend to break, fun to drive, easy to have the undersides cleaned and undersealed, cheap to run and cheap to service and for replacements. They were designed as a modern version of a classic car with the home mechanic in mind. I also drive my wife's 2010 Fiat 500 and love it. Great town car and for short journeys but also fun to drive.

The best solution for me in your situation would be to try to find an extra parking space! Spend £2k on a really good Mk1 MX-5 as the daily and have a £5k MG Midget to play with/weekends.

I do like those Fiat Coupés a lot though and would seriously consider a good one of those. Although £7k isn't far of that S2000 that may still be on SC...
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Had a 1275GT for a while, fun to drive but a chore as a daily. Certainly feel vulnerable driving in it at times amongst modern traffic. Currently have a 89 Golf GTi which is also great fun, and a Nissan Figaro, which is perhaps not a classic but has the looks (some love, some hate).

Type 3 VW fastback are good value and you'd get one in good condition for your budget.

Triumph Spitfire, BMW 840, Merc 420SL would be on my radar next time.

Expect any 'classic' you go for to need work in short and long term, they are labours of love, if you have 7k, spend 5 and save 2 for repairs/tweaks...

Grand Master
    I ran a 1978 MGB Roadster as an everyday car back in 1981/82 when they were still a common sight. Even though it was only 3 years old I had my fair share of problems with it!

I got the bug to own a classic early MGB, so I sold the 78 Roadster in late '82 and bought a 1968 MGB GT with a view to restoring it over the winter. That turned into a 3 year labour of love, the car needed totally stripping down and rebuilding, I ran out of money a couple of times, but finally got it finished in Oct 85. I ran it as a summer car for 4 years, buying a cheap car for winter then selling it on in spring. This worked out OK, but I was in my late 20s with a reasonable garage and, more importantly, boundless energy and enthusiasm. I built a nicely uprated engine (bored +60 to 1870, uprated cam, gas-flowed head) and the car seemed reasonably quick by mid-80s standards. I think it gave around 105-110bhp which made the car brisk if not fast.

Thesedays we all take the comfort of a modern car for granted, power steering, air-con, electric windows, central locking etc.........back in the 80s these were rarities so the 60s/70s cars weren't that much different to the everyday cars (apart from being noisier!)

My current MGB's fine on a summers day with the hood down, that's when it really comes into it's own, but it's a different story in winter with the hood up! Like all the old British sports cars it's noisy; modern cars are so quiet we forget what the old stuff was like. You get used to it, I enjoy driving with the hood up for shortish distances, but it does get a bit wearing and I wouldn`t want to be commuting in it. The TR6 I owned was the same, slightly nicer noise from the 6 cylinder engine but still noisy.

I hope we haven`t pissed on the OP's fireworks; a few of us have told it like it is but I hope we haven`t totally disillusioned him. Hang on to the dream, but maybe now isn`t the right time to turn it into reality. Classic cars are cool, I love 'em and I have done for many years............but we have to be realistic.

Can`t help thinking an MX5 could be a good compromise for the OP. The MX5 captured the essence of the classic British cars but Mazda executed the concept a whole lot better. Another one to consider is the Toyota MR2, I had a Mk2 version with T bar roof and leather seats, that was one nice car back in the mid-90s. These cars are getting old now but the Toyota build quality was excellent and I`m sure there are some nice survivors out there.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    I appreciate your input, for that little I’ve heard over my years in Italy.. British classic are very prone to rust.. German new classic are not for me though, I’d rather keep it either British or Italian, but thanks again for your input. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about Alfa GTV these are beginning to appreciate and quite a few good ones still around or the Spider (based on GTV) the older models of Spider will now be beyond your budget but these are about to start climbing.

I feel like I’ve told off of buying one.. and for good reasons!

It has been my “dream” from when I was a kid.. but I assume I have to face the fact that the life style here in London and the one I use to live in Sicily are to worlds apart.

I guess I’ll have to start thinking about the future of motoring rather than the past..

Electric?

Why not pop down to Brooklands this coming Saturday 5th of May for Auto Italia day, there'll be plenty of owners to chat to there.

Master
    I would support what everyone says about the challenges of using a classic as a daily driver.

How about picking a “to be” classic ? I use a 12 yr old Mk1 Audi TT as my daily driver. Completely reliable, but different enough, and a good one will probably lose little value.

Pete

Blog Entries
    Somewhere in this thread, I read about the daily distance, being pretty small. In short, that will kill any engine over time. It won't heat up properly, wear and tear will present you with major bills. Especially cars like older Alfas are not happy with short distance trips. Think twice and buy a proper bike and perhaps a classic for Sunday trips to the country!

Menno

Just after I posted on this thread I noticed this on Facebook!

Craftsman
    TT is a good call , had em and like em

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Somewhere in this thread, I read about the daily distance, being pretty small. In short, that will kill any engine over time. It won't heat up properly, wear and tear will present you with major bills. Especially cars like older Alfas are not happy with short distance trips. Think twice and buy a proper bike and perhaps a classic for Sunday trips to the country!

Menno
    Hi Menno.. ideally that would be perfect! Growing up in Italy that’s all I had, a bike.. and it was all I needed really, but given that I now live in England, how can anyone bear to live with a bike as a daily transportation?! I mean the weather is what it is...

Master
    I ran a 1989 Mk1 Mr2 as an everyday car until last year when I've taken it off the road for some pampering.

I bought just to try something different after a long string of MX-5s, of which I've still got one, however, the Mr2 offered something "extra" as well.
    People stop me at supermarkets & petrol stations, every bodies mate had one which invariably ended backwards in a wall or in a pile of rust.
    Kids have never seen them & ask if its a Lamborghini.
    Additionally they are incredibly practical considering two boots & an airy cabin.

I'm not saying "get a Mr2", more that if you're after the classic experience you should consider thinking a little outside the box.

Blog Entries
    It is what it is... But there's enough foul-weather clothing to protect you. Musto has a wide variety of proper foul-weather stuff and if well-chosen, you can use it in your classic as well and keep the top down when it's raining (as tried and tested by yours truly...).

Back to cars: I think that Japanese cars deserve so additional attention as well. The MR2 and the MX5 are mentioned. But an older Carina, Celica or Supra, Mitsubishi GT3000 and first-gen Honda Civic - just to name a few- are certainly worth a look. Keep away from those 'cuddly' small Japanese cars like the Datsun Cherry with the horrible springs at the rear!
    Last edited by thieuster; 30th April 2018 at 10:50.

Grand Master
    Only problem I had with the MR2 was driving it on snow, damned thing was lethal. With the engine over the back wheels traction was good, you got the thing going OK.....but after 100yards you wished you hadn`t! Most RWD cars are reasonably controllable once they're moving, the MR2 was the opposite! Maybe winter tyres would've helped, but I doubt it. The car would spin at the least provocation, it had to be driven v. slowly unless the road was straight, then it lulled you into a false sense of security.

Like a pig on a skateboard on snow, but excellent in the dry and fine in the wet.

Paul

Master
    I ran a Jaguar 3.8 MK2 for 12 years and a 4.2XJC Coupe for 10 years. Lovely cars but immensely impractical for normal use and they are not cheap to maintain.

I now run a Honda Civic and it just boringly reliable.

My budget sits at around 7k, and the cars that I was looking at are MG midget, Mini Cooper and maybe an old fiat 500 or 124..
    Midget or Mini out of that lot. Definitely not an old rear engined Fiat. They are ghastly. No idea why they're considered classics :)

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    What about Alfa GTV these are beginning to appreciate and quite a few good ones still around or the Spider (based on GTV) the older models of Spider will now be beyond your budget but these are about to start climbing.
    For £7k I'd expect to be able to get an Alfa Brera S. But if you wanted the Busso V6, yes, a well sorted GTV will be a lot less than £7k. They don't handle all that well, though.

How about a Golf GTi MKII? Brilliant cars.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    How about a Golf GTi MKII? Brilliant cars.
    Good call!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Good call!
    agreed!

Blog Entries
    Good call! GTIs are still great and easy to work on. Parts are readily available.

Menno

Master
    Some really great deals on here, there was a genuine 500 Abarth on a couple of weeks ago

https://www.catawiki.com/s/?q=fiat+500
    Last edited by uktotty; 2nd May 2018 at 10:22.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    It's a hard balance. I think if I was to get another classic it would be tax exempt. However, as others have said, the older you go, the more you have to do. Modern classics will be easier, but will be slow to go up in value.

If you do go this route, perhaps consider older golfs or maybe the vr6 corrado? In another thread we were discussing Porsche 944's, some of these would be in your budget and are likely to go up in value if you get a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a wee bit over your budget but feel free to check out my z3m advert in fs section.

It’s an appreciating classic I would suggest

Good luck to you too

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    TT is a good call , had em and like em
    This is a very good suggestion - a design classic, modern enough to use regularly and will become increasingly sought after.

I would also recommend the excellent magazine "Modern Classics" - mainly focuses on the cars from the 80's and 90's.

I have a weekend Maserati Cambiocorsa from 2003. It is modern enough to have the mod cons I like, but distinctive enough to be different and fun. The problem I have with most older cars - eg from the 70's or before, is that when I have had a go driving them, I have found them too crude for my liking.

However, I am very glad that others are passionate about conserving them - for me I prefer looking at them rather than owning and driving them.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Citroen DS ?

Unpractical?, actually the ID models are mechanically/hydraullically simpler and comfy as hell with loads of leg room....
    ubercool?, guarranteed...

though for 7K they are thin on the ground and would need some work... like mine which is getting tatty round the edges but otherwise drives like a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Citroen DS ?

Unpractical?, actually the ID models are mechanically/hydraullically simpler and comfy as hell with loads of leg room....

though for 7K they are thin on the ground and would need some work... like mine which is getting tatty round the edges but otherwise drives like a dream
    Beautiful and fascinating cars - but can you really get one in any semblance of reasonable condition for around 7k? I would have thought they were much more than that now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Beautiful and fascinating cars - but can you really get one in any semblance of reasonable condition for around 7k? I would have thought they were much more than that now.
    still possible from france i guess but in need of another 4-5K spending on top - I'd consider selling mine for under 10K to the right person - but everytime I get behind the wheel....

Blog Entries
    Citroen DS ?

From an era when labour rates were next to nothing. How things have changed...

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    My tuppence worth, amongst other things £7k should just get you into a classic TVR wedge. Nice on on eBay for £5k at the mo but minor engine fire so needs some attention but makes it a great bargain.

Yep, Wedges rock. Rather than the Tasmin linked above (which is on Pistonheads too for a bit less money), you could hunt around for a V8 which you could probably get within budget.

TVR V8's - a soundtrack to die for. I am a bit biased though - I have a Chimaera.

Apprentice
    Citroen DS ?

Learnt to drive in a DS 1972 column 5 speed shift .... beautiful, when the door fell off I just picked it up and re-hung !
    Volvo Amazon's are really cool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by actionvin View Post
    Learnt to drive in a DS 1972 column 5 speed shift .... beautiful, when the door fell off I just picked it up and re-hung !
    Volvo Amazon's are really cool
    Amazons are great. Run perfect on LPG as well (go for the one car version then - easier to tune). Don't overlook the later 140 models as well. If you really want to go overboard... Peugeot 504! Every now and then a Cabrio comes to the workshop (I've written about that car when a lady came in and told that she was looking for a b'day present /retirement present for her husband. Marvellous car. All those 504s were shipped to the former French colonies in Africa and ran there for years and years. Quality-wise, a 504 is indestructible. Keep away from the intricate Ti-versions.

But... this is the car you've been waiting for!

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C913139

This is the 'small tail light' 99 with the 1850 engine - more or less the same as in the Triumph Dolomite. Oh man!

Last edited by thieuster; 3rd May 2018 at 08:02.

Craftsman
    The advice to go to shows, find owners and see if you can sit in some of the cars you fancy is excellent advice.

I lusted after an Austin Healey Sprite but after getting in one I realised I couldn't actually fit.
    A different issue with an Alfa Romeo Boat Tail Spider which I couldn't drive because of a bad back and offset pedals.

Don't be afraid of LHD cars in your search. Driving on the continent in my RHD car becomes second nature after a very short while and I now realise LHD cars wouldn't be much of an inconvenience.

Have fun in the search.

My in-depth and highly technical analysis of MG ownership may be found here http://porlm.com/toys/mg-midget

The conclusion may be familiar to TZ-UK readers.

Amazons are great. Run perfect on LPG as well (go for the one car version then - easier to tune). Don't overlook the later 140 models as well. If you really want to go overboard... Peugeot 504! Every now and then a Cabrio comes to the workshop (I've written about that car when a lady came in and told that she was looking for a b'day present /retirement present for her husband. Marvellous car. All those 504s were shipped to the former French colonies in Africa and ran there for years and years. Quality-wise, a 504 is indestructible. Keep away from the intricate Ti-versions.

This is the 'small tail light' 99 with the 1850 engine - more or less the same as in the Triumph Dolomite. Oh man!

Nice Saab - somehow still look rather timeless.

I've always had a soft spot for the Triumph Dolomite Sprint - quite an innovative car in it's day, and a friend's dad had one in red.

I also rather like TR6's - but I think prices have climbed significantly on good ones.

Another very left field suggestion - if one can be found - the Panther Kallista. It has ford underpinnings so is basically pretty easy to maintain.

Craftsman

I think the allure of these cars is looking at them. I owned a 1980 Saab 99 GLi (in the coppery orange color on the front of the brochure) in the late 1980's, and though it was a pleasant car to drive, especially on intermediate roads, it was no sports car. 110 Hp, 3620 lbs, it was in truth a bit of a wallowy boat in the corners; stable, soft and quiet in regular driving, and great in snowy weather, but a driver's car its not.

http://www.vintagesaabmanuals.org/up...9_brochure.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    My in-depth and highly technical analysis of MG ownership may be found here http://porlm.com/toys/mg-midget

The conclusion may be familiar to TZ-UK readers.
    A heap is a heap is a heap. Don't buy a heap.

That's a beauty.

A turbo would be nice, too.