closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What do you think of it so far?

As it regards the Seiko VK64 module... after the chrono has been running for 60 minutes... does it continue to run (as with mechanical chronos) or does it automatically stop (to preserve battery life)?

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    As it regards the Seiko VK64 module... after the chrono has been running for 60 minutes... does it continue to run (as with mechanical chronos) or does it automatically stop (to preserve battery life)?
    Stops.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Thank you. Second question as it regards the VK64: Whilst the chronograph is running... if you press the "return" button... will the button...

1. Found to be locked?
    2. Return the hands to zero (without first pressing "stop")?

Quote Originally Posted by brummie64 View Post
    Stops.

Thank you. Second question as it regards the VK64: Whilst the chronograph is running... if you press the "return" button... will the button...

1. Found to be locked?
    2. Return the hands to zero (without first pressing "stop")?
    I'm trying to think if this is a good or bad thing. As a 'safety' feature it's good to have i guess.

But then I also understand your follow up question as you won't necessarily know the state of the chronograph if it stops all dead on the zeros after an hour?

The second question has nothing to do with the first question. With mechanical chronos, while the chrono is running you cannot push the return button as it is locked. I have a Bulova quartz chrono and with the chrono running the return button is not locked and will zero the hands (while they are running). I was wondering if it is the same with the VK64.

The second question has nothing to do with the first question. With mechanical chronos, while the chrono is running you cannot push the return button as it is locked. I have a Bulova quartz chrono and with the chrono running the return button is not locked and will zero the hands (while they are running). I was wondering if it is the same with the VK64.
    Scan_20190116 by Paul, on Flickr

Hope this helps answer any questions you may have.

Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Hi John.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Hi John.
    Hi

Anyway, I have found a utube video which demonstrates the issue... in the instruction manual (you posted), they call it "aborting". I've extracted the section below from the utube video. By the way, this operation is not what a "flyback" is. A flyback is when one presses the return button during the running of the chronograph... the chronograph hands will return to zero and start moving forward again without having to press start. (The video is of a VK63 but the operation is the same as the VK64)

SEIKO Meca Quartz VK63 Start/Return
    https://youtu.be/jxY9kBpetlE

As it happens, the original Blancpain (Eddie posted) was a real flyback.
    Last edited by abraxas; 20th January 2019 at 00:57.

Anyway, I have found a utube video which demonstrates the issue... in the instruction manual (you posted), they call it "aborting". I've extracted the section below from the utube video. By the way, this operation is not what a "flyback" is. A flyback is when one presses the return button during the running of the chronograph... the chronograph hands will return to zero and start moving forward again without having to press start. (The video is of a VK63 but the operation is the same as the VK64)

SEIKO Meca Quartz VK63 Start/Return
    https://youtu.be/jxY9kBpetlE

As it happens, the original Blancpain (Eddie posted) was a real flyback.
    I wonder how much effort it would have been to make the movement a proper flyback. This half 'abort' version seems a bit in no man's land (IMO) at least. Not sure any full mechanical chronograph has this sort of 'abort' function?

The "abort" appears to be a new thing. I have now seen it on two modules made by different manufacturers.

I can see why it's sensible for the design: when you press the reset button, the first thing it does is disconnect the powering of the seconds hand if necessary. Then, when button is fully depressed, the mechanical element engages and returns the second hand.

For the second hand to start moving again, the movement would have to take the release of the movement as an instruction to start.

The problem here would be, how would the movement still have the information that it was running before the pusher was first engaged it? Whatever the solution to that would be, it would cost money, and half the point of this movement is that it is not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Very nice, although I am not in the market for a chrono, but I especially like the bezel, very Blancpain 50 Fathoms.
    The Blancpain Air Commander of 1951 was the progenitor of both the 50 fathoms and the Type 20 chronograph design language.

Master
    Now the new owners have had a chance to live with their new Aerotimers - what are peoples thoughts on the movement - is it nicer to use than a conventional quartz chronograph, any views on the accuracy v other quartz, are you missing the running seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Now the new owners have had a chance to live with their new Aerotimers - what are peoples thoughts on the movement - is it nicer to use than a conventional quartz chronograph, any views on the accuracy v other quartz, are you missing the running seconds?
    All good here, I have a couple of watches without running seconds so not an issue for me.

Craftsman
    I've always preferred chronographs with 2 sub dials instead of 3.

It seems like the chronographs with 3 sub dials are much more popular though, but the function of the 3rd dial is purely to tell AM or PM which seems a bit unnecessary.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Yep its great, been wearing as daily when I am on the bike as my PRS-18 COSC is a bit to chunky on a Nato. Not missing the running seconds and seems to be keeping good time, very set and forget.

Delighted to have had confirmation that mine should arrive tomorrow. It's my 1st new watch for a couple of years and really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh so to speak.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Eventually got the opportunity to order the Aerotimer which arrived this morning; superb watch and for me best on the leather strap.

Like with the recently released Newmark 6BB with the same movement, then a running second would have been nice but far from a show stopper.

Ed

I couldn't get on with the clasp on the bracelet (as I feared) and I couldn't find a clasp to fit, so I've bought a leather strap to put mine on.

It's a very simple, but reasonably rugged looking black leather strap (A Rosario), which (again, personally) I prefer to the style that Eddie provides with it (I'm not a big fan of tan straps generally).

A different look, anyway, in case anyone is thinking about options. I did try a brown Di-Model Rallye strap I have, but to my eye if didn't look right (the strap style was fine, I didn't like the colour on this watch, but I've a number of watches on those straps already, so fancied something different for this one).

I think it's a great watch, very pleased with mine.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 1st May 2019 at 16:27.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

That looks good.

It looks pretty good on that black strap.

I wonder whether a Toshi would overpower it?