closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomending a new watch for £1000 as a first "Proper Watch".

Recomending a new watch for £1000 as a first "Proper Watch".

A friend of mine asked me an interesting question the other day, one that I've probaly spent a bit too long thinking about.

He's a professional in the city working for a music booking agents, he represents alot of well of well know metal bands, he's asked me what i'd recommend as a good first "proper" watch, he's looking to spend £1000, in past conversations he's talked about Pateks as his dream watch etc, so with that in mind and his job I'm finding it hard to come up with too many options. So far I'm thinking:

Nomos Campus Nacht or a similar Nomos.

Oris, Hamilton or similar brands.

This got me to thinking though, what watches out there are able to cater for someone with reasonable watch knowledge, (knows what a good watch is meant to represent) and is within the £1000 price bracket?

How about having a look at Christopher Ward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    There’s not much out there for that money now. TAG Heuer, maybe Raymond Weil Beatles/David bowey collaboration etc. He’d be better stretching if possible and buying a used Tudor or Omega.

For £1000 or under I'd recommend an oris aquis. Great watch for the money

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    For £1000 or under I'd recommend an oris aquis. Great watch for the money

Used yes. New no. Start about £1300 unless in a sale.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

If he would wear a diver most of the CWC range is under £1k and these watches have a history.

Master
    Blog Entries

Question

I'd echo the Christopher Ward suggestion - good looking watches at a decent price for the quality. I may get a smaller diver for myself.
    Last edited by JonRA; 23rd April 2018 at 18:08.

Sinn...

Master
    Sinn 104. c £850-900

Ginault Ocean Rover c. £750

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I’d go for a Hamilton in that price range. Maybe a Khaki Mechanical?

If he talks about Patek then a vintage omega seamaster or Longines admiral or similar might be suitable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    With a bit of help, it is still possible to find an Omega Seamaster Bond 2541.80.00 for around the thousand pound mark.

It would be pre-owned but in those circles I think it would hold more cachet amongst the clients than many other new watches for the same price.

Blog Entries
    Tag aren't my favourite but there are some under 1k. Could be a starting point and has the bonus of being a brand name non wis might recognise.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/c/Brand...pient_For-Him/

Sinn 556a (my preference) or 556i are about £1000. 38.5mm, Swiss ETA, sapphire crystal, screw down crown, 200m WR, drilled lugs so strap can be changed easily to dress it up or down, black dial makes it very versatile. I've never owned one, but the research I've done makes me feel it's one of the best every day watches you can get for that price.

northward
    I think a vintage Seamaster might be the way to go, or a used Nomos club? https://www.chrono24.co.uk/nomos/clu...e=&sortorder=1

Master
    Sinn 556 or 103 variant from Chronext would be my choice. Alternatively the Nomos Club. A lot would depend on what he liked stylistically.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    With a bit of help, it is still possible to find an Omega Seamaster Bond 2541.80.00 for around the thousand pound mark.

It would be pre-owned but in those circles I think it would hold more cachet amongst the clients than many other new watches for the same price.
    Great suggestion.

Craftsman
    If it doesn’t have to be mechanical how about a longines VHP , looks like a lot of watch for the money .

A CW? Perfectly decent, but given the alternatives that would be last one my list.

Sinn, Damasko, Halios, Nomos, Precista, Junghans, Squale to name but a few offer far more interesting and WIS pieces than the High St. If the High St choices appeal I’d look st Alpina, Fortis and Ball

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Sinn 104. c £850-900
    I can't think of a nicer watch for the money - superbly built, looks awesome, has WIS-cred, and especially on a bracelet, it works equally well in a business environment during the day and in the concert hall in the evening.

Master
    Sinn for me too. Seiko Presage also worth a look.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

A Sinn
    Or a Sinn
    Or an Ollech&wajs Mirage if you can track one down?

I like Oris at this price - often in sales and can be bought for around the £1000 mark. I have a couple and they are excellent - proper independent watchmaking company too.

Perhaps half a notch down, I really like Alpina too - some lovely designs and nicely put together. Less widely available but great value for money (again, in a sale).

Journeyman
    Lots of decent suggestions so far. Both the Sinn 556 and the Longines VHP would be pretty near the top of my list. Would also suggest a look at Stowa to seethe various different options available there, though having just looked at their website, a fair few will be over budget, and Junghans for the Max Bill.

If it were me though, and it was a watch to wear in a professional environment, I think I would be checking with our host to see if there are any Armstrong Siddeley PRS 41s still available.

I’d check out the Seiko SPB081J, you can scoop one on eBay for less than a grand at the minute

Craftsman
    Longines at that price point for me, especially if buying retail.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Nomos. Horologically interesting, stylish, classic, uber cool, artistic/creative design. Oh, or a Max Bill.

Slighty left field but what about a Seiko Tuna?
    J

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Sinn 556a (my preference) or 556i are about £1000. 38.5mm, Swiss ETA, sapphire crystal, screw down crown, 200m WR, drilled lugs so strap can be changed easily to dress it up or down, black dial makes it very versatile. I've never owned one, but the research I've done makes me feel it's one of the best every day watches you can get for that price.
    That would be my call too.

Master
    Longines Flagship Heritage.

Master
    I spotted an AD that had 30% off all Longines in the window recently. This would bring a Longines Legend Diver in at the £1k mark.

If he is into more rugged watches then CWC would be a good option, they are in the east end too so he could go along to Silverman's and try the different models out!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    Longines at that price point for me, especially if buying retail.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Good call, over 20 models under 1k so plenty of choice as well.

Buy a vintage Rolex Oysterdate - plenty around still for appx the 1k mark.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Journeyman
    "..in past conversations he's talked about Pateks as his dream watch etc"

PP watches cover a large number of different styles. I'd probably be keen to understand what style of PP he dreams of, just to understand if its the brand or the watch he's dreaming of..

But without understanding I say .. Used Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Sinn 556 or 103 variant from Chronext would be my choice. Alternatively the Nomos Club. A lot would depend on what he liked stylistically.
    Quote Originally Posted by weaselid View Post
    Nomos. Horologically interesting, stylish, classic, uber cool, artistic/creative design. Oh, or a Max Bill.
    Absolutely.

There's no need to get some uninspired range-filler from one of the big luxury conglomerates when there are quality independents offering better choices. Nomos is particularly noteworthy; they stand out as a proper manufacture with a style of their own in a category that's dominated by derivative designs assembled from generic components.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Buy a vintage Rolex Oysterdate - plenty around still for appx the 1k mark.
    Indeed, there's no better watch at this price if you like the style.

Stowa [ https://www.stowa.de/en/Home/ ] have an interesting range, many within your price range. Depends greatly on what style would grab your friend.

Master
    Should be able to find a Breitling Superocean Colt for under £1000. Or a Colt of course.

Sinn is a very solid choice, I'm gonna recommend the 104 and a few others.

He's liking the look of this Nixon:

http://www.nixon.com/uk/en/sentry-38...or=000#start=1

Which i have to admit is a very attractive watch, albeit a simple fashion watch.

Although a decent Sinn would blow it out the water in every aspect except price.

Nomos for me would be the ideal, but a metal bracelet would go down better I think.

Master
    Yes I reckon a Sinn or a Damasko.
    Last edited by stix; 24th April 2018 at 16:21.

Pre owned colt.
    Lots of watch not a lot of money.

Or look in sc there's a white faced Monaco on there if quick

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

If you're lucky, you might find a speedmaster reduced (3510.50.00) for £1k or just over...

Alternatively, within the budget, Halios make good watches with some great dials. They have to be bought second hand at the moment but there are a few out there unworn being sold/flipped.

Master
    Damasko , sinn .

At this price point, I think that Sinn is a great option.

The 556 and 104 are both solid choices.

New, I'd look at squale, Eza, sinn, damasko. I've had a sinn and a damasko, both left me impressed but completely cold. Undeniably well made, but moved on swiftly.

Used, oris 65 (the 42mm was recently under 1k new at goldsmiths), rado captain Cook.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Master
    I’d get a Seamaster either Quartz or if you get lucky automatic. They always look good and are a proper watch ! Maybe a blingy Rolex might work well with the clientele but a Seamaster just looks good without people starting to form opinions on you .
    Obviously a budget is a budget but don’t rule out watches for £1100. You might just get the one you really desire

Quote Originally Posted by spanner monkey View Post
    If it doesn’t have to be mechanical how about a longines VHP , looks like a lot of watch for the money .
    I would second this or an automatic hydroconquest. Both are a hell of a lot of watch for the money.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    I would definitely support the SMP suggestion, if you can get one around your budget, which is maybe doubtful. Not only will it be a solid choice but will easily sell if he wants to move it on at any point. While the Sinn 104 or 556 are great watches, I can't help thinking that someone who's aspiring to a PP (Nautilus??) may find them too conventional. A '70s TV dial Omega, IWC or Zenith would be well within budget and may deliver something closer to what he has in mind.
    For what it's worth, while I have around 30 watches, including Panerai, Omegas, Heuers, a couple of Breitlings, Tudor etc etc, the only watches which attract any comments are my Max bill chrono (£900) and my Heuer Monaco CS2110 (£820 / $1250USD in May 2105).
    Last edited by TomGW; 24th April 2018 at 22:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I would definitely support the SMP suggestion, if you can get one around your budget, which is maybe doubtful. Not only will it be a solid choice but will easily sell if he wants to move it on at any point. While the Sinn 104 or 556 are great watches, I can't help thinking that someone who's aspiring to a PP (Nautilus??) may find them too conventional. A '70s TV dial Omega, IWC or Zenith would be well within budget and may deliver something closer to what he has in mind.
    For what it's worth, while I have around 30 watches, including Panerai, Omegas, Heuers, a couple of Breitlings, Tudor etc etc, the only watches which attract any comments are my Max bill chrono (£900) and my Heuer Monaco CS2110 (£820 / $1250USD in May 2105).

There’s s lovely one on SC at £1100. If I didn’t already have two Seamasters I’d be all over it.

Journeyman
    Another vote for Stowa, Sinn, and Nomos.

Depending on style preference, a Sinn 556 of some description (the newer ones with the applied indices and sunburst/mother of pearl dials are very business-attire suitable), a Sinn 104, a Stowa Marine, or one of the entry level Nomos offerings.