closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best eames style chair?

Master

Best eames style chair?

Looking for an eames chair for our lounge, i know a few on here have eames style chairs rather than an oem one from one of the original manufacturers, can anyone recommend which one is best? ideally european made.

thanks

Craftsman

Best eames style chair?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Looking for an eames chair for our lounge, i know a few on here have eames style chairs rather than an oem one from one of the original manufacturers, can anyone recommend which one is best? ideally european made.

thanks
    I love the design of these chairs. Had the pleasure of touring the Vitra museum where they are made in Germany last year. I'm pretty sure they have a UK outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Were the “copies” of these type of chairs not made illegal a while back?

Blog Entries
    There's quite a difference between the original and -let's say- the look-alikes when it comes to the seating position. The Eames chair was designed more than 50 yrs ago and people were smaller back then. As a result the seating position for modern men (and women) isn't what you'd expect when you see the chair. Not all tall(er) people are not comfortable in the chair. As if it's too small for them. But then again, that's personal of course.

Menno

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    April last year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    There's quite a difference between the original and -let's say- the look-alikes when it comes to the seating position. The Eames chair was designed more than 50 yrs ago and people were smaller back then. As a result the seating position for modern men (and women) isn't what you'd expect when you see the chair. Not all tall(er) people are not comfortable in the chair. As if it's too small for them. But then again, that's personal of course.

Menno
    I am fairly sure Vitra make 2 sizes of this chair now to alleviate this issue for taller folk.

They are expensive but the quality of the originals is fnatastic.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Some retailers are back selling as the law is unclear and nobody has yet been taken to court.
    These people are meant to be doing good quality chairs
    https://iconicinteriors.com

I like the EA 116 and EA 222 but ended up with an EA 124 with Ottoman. The only difference between 116 and 124 is the latter has a head cushion which spends most of its time tucked away in the back of the chair so it looks like a 116. I prefer it now, the cushion's very comfortable and handy when I want a nap in the office!

Chair and Ottoman cost me £1,350 on eBay, including courier. Both are genuine Vitra and are excellent quality.

I did think about the big padded Lounge Chair but tried it and didn't get on (I didn't realise they did a larger version for normal height people like me) and thought it was a bit big, bulky and obvious. I wanted a 222 because it's a cleaner shape while comfortable with the deep cushioning but they're very hard to find.

It really is worth paying a little extra for a genuine Eames chair. I went for black leather but here's a cloth one in a grey/beige colour on eBay for £550 or offer: 183185358494
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    I am fairly sure Vitra make 2 sizes of this chair now to alleviate this issue for taller folk.

They are expensive but the quality of the originals is fnatastic.

Here you go! I didn't know that. Mine is a late 50s Herman Miller-version with palisander (correct spelling??) shell and chocolate-brown cushions. And only the 'smaller' vesion. My wife has it in her office at the moment. You know that a design is good when you can combine it with modern-day pieces of (office) furniture.

Menno

Think it was John Lewis I was at the other day and they had these;

£7k for chair and ottoman!

Had them in white, a bit too cool for me.

Out of my league, and I picked up the copy off this very forum for £300 irc before Christmas and it's 95% of the look, probably 80% of the comfort, and whilst I would love the original I don't want my cats or kids to treat them the way the treat everything else. I'm pretty convinced my £300 is safe in that chair.
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 24th April 2018 at 09:09.

Master
    Not quite the same, but when I was looking a couple of years ago I happened across an ex-display G plan reissues & footstool and loved it so the Eames is on hold for a good few years yet.
    http://www.gplanvintage.co.uk/sofas/the-sixty-two/

My.brother is a furniture dealer and I'd recommend buying used. It'll hold value well

There are lots of dealers around. I won't mention his business because, frankly, he doesn't need the advertising

Craftsman
    I got a Barcelona from Inhomedesign, they sell Eames too and the quality / price is excellent.

Buy what you can afford, £7k is a lot of money (nice watch or weekend toy) to spend on a chair. And to be honest I never use mine but it finished the lounge off nicely :)

Unless you have an antiques dealer / interior design mates then chances are no one going to tell the difference anyway between real and replica. I’ve never bought replica anything in my life apart from this.

I got a 1995 Vitra for £3400 with ottoman that is immaculate. The copies all look terrible that I've seen - the proportions are all wrong and wood and leather nowhere near the read deal.

I'd say bite the bullet and buy real.

Last edited by Albellisimo; 27th April 2018 at 12:31.

Blog Entries
    As I've said before: try (sit) before you buy. Don't the all misty-eyed because the design is so beautiful. The comfort of this chair has all to do with the owner's posture!

M

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    As I've said before: try (sit) before you buy. Don't the all misty-eyed because the design is so beautiful. The comfort of this chair has all to do with the owner's posture!

M
    Too true. I 'fit' mine well but my girlfriend needs a cushion in her lower back!

Craftsman
    I have a replica Barcelona, sat in it a couple of times but it’s more the look I like then the usability.

Very good quality for £750 and weighs a tonne. Proper solid chair / foot stool even for our Weimaraner when he’s perched on it.

Not original luckily but a firm favourite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Recently, I saw a nice review on a Lobster chair and it was like a perfect listening chair. I may advise to check some info about this model. But my variant is something like this, which is more affordable.

The picture was borrowed from the source https://wisepick.org/best-armchair/ (I don't want to be banned for copyright infringement).
    I'm thinking about ordering this option for my lounge zone, but I'm not sure yet. Anyway, I'm going to check as many reviews through all the internet as it's possible.