closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Your Pay Rise

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Last year was 5% pay rise and 10% bonus. Over the two years I’m reasonably happy although obviously still well behind inflation on the pay front. I’m also annoyed that bonuses across the board have been capped this year - my own targets have all been exceeded. (For context I’m responsible for 32 people and a circa £10m P&L, so it’s not a small remit.)
    Last year bonus was 15% and 12% this year. Pay rises have both been under 2% as where I land on the scale; computer says no, but they want to at least give me something.

Challenge is all the tax on it, so bonus ends up in pension along with AVCs. With tax where it sits currently, I can’t see an awful lot of point getting increases. Prices will slow, but won’t go back down aside from utilities etc, so will just get more poor until I retire, 15-20yrs left and cannot wait.

That’s an unfortunate capping when you’ve exceeded all targets, must be frustrating if previously was unlimited. I remember my first buying role for a supermarket, bonus was 40%. Mind you the salary also began with a 2 and only 5 figures, but still felt like a huge amount when it landed.

I've just heard about the deal my immediate colleagues and I will be receiving - 7.2% plus 4 extra shifts off as leave per year, that latter part comes into force as from the start of 2024. The annual (small!) bonus has been trimmed to fund part of that 7.2% though seeing as time has proven said bonus to not be guaranteed I'm OK with the way it has been split. Unfortunately that increase in wage doesn't cover the recent increase in my mortgage payments however it covers a chunk.

The increased leave allowance is a double positive whammy for me as I used to buy 2 days per year from the company anyway, now I'll be 4 days up instead of 2 and without the additional cost of buying them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Challenge is all the tax on it, so bonus ends up in pension along with AVCs.
    A challenge many people would be more then happy to have. I say that partly in jest and not to make a dig, however, in all seriousness I view tax as part of my financial contribution to society in general so am happy to pay it and don't understand why anyone would rather receive less and pay less tax. Having the cash in your hand or benefiting from disproportionately advantageous tax breaks by putting it into a pension is a personal choice but surely it's always better to earn more (even if you fall into one of the ridiculously high marginal tax rate scenarios re child benefit etc).

I'd much prefer the tax was spent more wisely than it often is but that's a secondary point.

Last year bonus was 15% and 12% this year. Pay rises have both been under 2% as where I land on the scale; computer says no, but they want to at least give me something.

Challenge is all the tax on it, so bonus ends up in pension along with AVCs. With tax where it sits currently, I can’t see an awful lot of point getting increases. Prices will slow, but won’t go back down aside from utilities etc, so will just get more poor until I retire, 15-20yrs left and cannot wait.

That’s an unfortunate capping when you’ve exceeded all targets, must be frustrating if previously was unlimited. I remember my first buying role for a supermarket, bonus was 40%. Mind you the salary also began with a 2 and only 5 figures, but still felt like a huge amount when it landed.
    Understood, Matt. However, my bonus this year is going to be put towards the cost of building a garage for my motorbike at the end of the garden

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    A challenge many people would be more then happy to have. I say that partly in jest and not to make a dig, however, in all seriousness I view tax as part of my financial contribution to society in general so am happy to pay it and don't understand why anyone would rather receive less and pay less tax. Having the cash in your hand or benefiting from disproportionately advantageous tax breaks by putting it into a pension is a personal choice but surely it's always better to earn more (even if you fall into one of the ridiculously high marginal tax rate scenarios re child benefit etc).

I'd much prefer the tax was spent more wisely than it often is but that's a secondary point.
    I hear you completely, Dave. I don’t need to take home more than I do to live comfortably, hence making those decisions - after a divorce in my 20s and not being able to afford the mortgage and pension, I have a considerable gap I want to make up for.

Agree on the social contribution, and they have that from the rest of my taxed income, but I need to rectify my pot also. My gas & electric support to food banks, I pay for private prescriptions as rarely need meds and don’t see the point of being a burden when not needed.

100% with you on the spending it more wisely though, but lord only knows when that would be something we can control.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Understood, Matt. However, my bonus this year is going to be put towards the cost of building a garage for my motorbike at the end of the garden
    I saw that photo in the other thread Tony, and it’s a great shout.

Can’t believe 3yrs ago I had a car in my garage & it’s now full of stuff. Current car won’t fit, so no point in keeping it all tidy. Miss getting an immaculate motor from the garage for the weekend drive though vs washing it first.

Master
    100% with you on the spending it more wisely though, but lord only knows when that would be something we can control.
    Just better than what we have would be a start and it really isn't a high bar.

I've also been through a divorce so appreciate the financial damage that ensues so wish you well in bridging the gap and respect that you still manage to donate whilst doing so. I don't give enough so have to remind myself every now and then to do so, I find a visit to any big city and seeing those living on the streets tends to do the trick .

I haven't had a pay rise in 7 years, but that's not the reason for this post.

I was shopping yesterday and saw that my Mum's favourite instant coffee has gone from being widely available at £5.50 to £8.10!

In my local Co-Op this morning, it was over £10!

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a coffee shortage or something?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I was shopping yesterday and saw that my Mum's favourite instant coffee has gone from being widely available at £5.50 to £8.10!

M
    I do wonder if brands are trying their luck. They can raise prices currently and see if it sticks, and many people are just attributing it to 'cost of living crisis' as opposed to 'greedy business'.

Master

M
    Coop pricing is often expensive given the nature of more 'top up' than full supermarket in the same way JS / Tesco etc have different pricing strategies across main estate vs the 'top up' stores, it is often disgusting.

What amazes me is the price of a pack of single McCoys etc in these shops, £1 a bag for sub 50g of crisps. Always buy a multipack and eat 2 bags!

Craftsman
    Coffee is expensive full stop.

One thing which always holds the queue up in my local co op (apart from the slow, old staff) is people buying cigarettes. Aren’t they expensive enough without buying them from a co op. People must be throwing away (another) £500 a year buying them from there.

Craftsman
    Find out details of any rise I’m due tomorrow. Those earning below £80k have been given cost of living support payments (equating to about 2% at the top bracket of £70-80k) of salary for the last 6 months. Those however on say £30k were being given much more in percentage terms.

How are they going to manage rises this year when they’re usually a flat % across the board but some people have been given uplifts equating to way way more than the usual 3% we get? Question for my boss I guess.

SydR
    Whilst working out some cross charging today I noted that my salary has increased 40.2% since 2018 without any change to my job grading. All in I can’t complain.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Whilst working out some cross charging today I noted that my salary has increased 40.2% since 2018 without any change to my job grading. All in I can’t complain.
    I am sure I would know if my salary had increase by 40% in five years, not just randomly noticed it today!!

Care you mention which field this is.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I am sure I would know if my salary had increase by 40% in five years, not just randomly noticed it today!!

Care you mention which field this is.
    Its not like I didn’t notice it going up, I knew it had gone up a good amount, just didn’t realise until today how much it has been.

I work for the NHS and have done for the past 31 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Find out details of any rise I’m due tomorrow. ...
    Good news, or will you have to keep selling tat on the SC?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Its not like I didn’t notice it going up, I knew it had gone up a good amount, just didn’t realise until today how much it has been.

I work for the NHS and have done for the past 31 years.
    Not sure how you worked that one out unless you've changed roles and got a higher job grade, because I can't see any NHS Scotland AFC payscale that's risen 40% in 5 years.

Craftsman
    I’m in tech, and there was a redundancy round in November last year. We were told there won’t be any half year bonus due in March, everybody just had to take it in the chin and be glad to still be employed. A little depressing, really

Your Pay Rise

Quote Originally Posted by guli View Post
    I’m in tech, and there was a redundancy round in November last year. We were told there won’t be any half year bonus due in March, everybody just had to take it in the chin and be glad to still be employed. A little depressing, really
    Swings and roundabouts.

I’m in O&G which seems to be counter cyclic to tech. I work with a guy who graduated with a computer science degree and couldn’t get a job in tech after dot com bust, so retrained to be a process safety engineer in O&G.

Give it a couple of years and O&G will be on its knees again and tech will come back roaring.

Just keep skill set high to keep in employment, when stuff rebounds you will be in a great position to take advantage.

SydR

Your Pay Rise

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Not sure how you worked that one out unless you've changed roles and got a higher job grade, because I can't see any NHS Scotland AFC payscale that's risen 40% in 5 years.
    All my payslips are in an online portal. I took the annual salary on one from 5 years ago when I moved into the post and calculated the increase required to take me to the salary I will be on from April 1st with this year’s increase.

No role change, no upgrade. Just moved on to top of band due to time in post.

Coop pricing is often expensive given the nature of more 'top up' than full supermarket in the same way JS / Tesco etc have different pricing strategies across main estate vs the 'top up' stores, it is often disgusting.

What amazes me is the price of a pack of single McCoys etc in these shops, £1 a bag for sub 50g of crisps. Always buy a multipack and eat 2 bags!
    Co-Op pricing was, perhaps, not unexpected, but the original prices was a large Sainsburys!

Agree on the crisps thing, though. Works with chocolate, too, you can buy one Mars bar for 80p or 4 for £1.50...

M

Your Pay Rise

Agree on the crisps thing, though. Works with chocolate, too, you can buy one Mars bar for 80p or 4 for £1.50..
    Ice creams are the worst for this.

I can usually buy a box of 4 Magnums tucked away at the back of the co-op for the same price as a single Magnum in the ever-so-friendly freezer next door to the entrance.

Master
    Co-Op pricing was, perhaps, not unexpected, but the original prices was a large Sainsburys!

Agree on the crisps thing, though. Works with chocolate, too, you can buy one Mars bar for 80p or 4 for £1.50...

M
    Used to be 5 Mars for £1 until I was in charge of their commercial strategy lol. Plus at that time they were the same size as the single bars. Utter madness. No packaging marking of being from a multipack like coke did.

Clever independent shop keepers were buying them from supermarkets as it was cheaper than they could buy from us or the cash & carry.

I always will remember my brother in law calling me up to say Morrisons were discontinuing Mars and clearing them out for £1. Had to tell him this was ‘strategy’ lol.

Ice creams are the worst for this.

I can usually buy a box of 4 Magnums tucked away at the back of the co-op for the same price as a single Magnum in the ever-so-friendly freezer next door to the entrance.
    Makes more sense with ice cream, though as you can't really walk home on a hot day with half a dozen uneaten Magnums, like you can crisps and Mars bars.

M

Makes more sense with ice cream, though as you can't really walk home on a hot day with half a dozen uneaten Magnums, like you can crisps and Mars bars.

M
    Yep, but if you walk in with the wife and two kids it is £10 if you buy individually or £3 for a pack of 4.

Often my oldest would say, but I don’t want a magnum. A quick clip around the ear and, I’m not paying £10 for 4 individual ice creams, usually sorts it.

It is a running joke in our family as I have the £2 threshold for an ice cream which I still think is pretty fair.

But, since Covid you are lucky to get away with £3 on a Cornish holiday. Robbing barstewards, holiday or not.

Maybe I need to start a tight arse thread in the BP.

Master
    Yep, but if you walk in with the wife and two kids it is £10 if you buy individually or £3 for a pack of 4.

Often my oldest would say, but I don’t want a magnum. A quick clip around the ear and, I’m not paying £10 for 4 individual ice creams, usually sorts it.

It is a running joke in our family as I have the £2 threshold for an ice cream which I still think is pretty fair.

But, since Covid you are lucky to get away with £3 on a Cornish holiday. Robbing barstewards, holiday or not.

Maybe I need to start a tight arse thread in the BP.
    What you grockles have to remember is that the local tourist trade only makes decent money for about 5 months in a year. So prices have to be loaded to keep them going over the winter.

Wages in Devon and Cornwall are amongst the lowest in the UK.

Wife is a night carer in a private old people's home on the dementia unit. Doesn't get that much over minimum wage, but she's getting a 9.8% rise from next month. Also been told she's likely to be made a senior, so another 17% over the new rate. Still crap pay for the job she does, but she's happy

Master
    The last two years have been good for me. I contract on projects in finance. Like many, took a hit due to IR35 a few years ago. I managed to negotiate a 14% pay increase last year and 14% this year. My manager was amazing and when I asked for an increase he told me to ask for more! That certainly caught me by surprise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    What you grockles have to remember is that the local tourist trade only makes decent money for about 5 months in a year. So prices have to be loaded to keep them going over the winter.

Wages in Devon and Cornwall are amongst the lowest in the UK.
    Most people forget this is true of most tourist destinations. Only the big fish make proper money, wages are traditionally low in the tourist trade and small businesses struggle to make enough to see them over the winter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Most people forget this is true of most tourist destinations. Only the big fish make proper money, wages are traditionally low in the tourist trade and small businesses struggle to make enough to see them over the winter.
    Yes some people seem determined to keep people in hospitality on low wages so as they can have a good time themselves.

4.53%.

Slightly lagging inflation.

1.93% - very much lagging inflation. Just like last year my employer laid a few hundred folk off the week before pay review meetings, sending the signal that we should count ourselves lucky to still have a job

Master

Your Pay Rise

As has been said before on the 29th Feb thread, your obsession with money is worrying and seems to be your only interest.

Wondered if you’d bump this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk