closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Pay Rise

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    It’s applicable to the Civil Service, NHS, Local Authorities etc totally different. Each has their own pay systems.
    Correct. The union lost the fight about pay progression years ago just like they lose every other fight.

I was told yesterday that the union has stated their position for this year’s pay ‘negotiation’ and it’s a 5% or £1200 rise for everyone, whichever is most beneficial to the employee.

There’s more chance of Sunderland winning the Premier League next season. Yes I know they won’t be in the PL and that’s the point.

Edit: we also have to participate in a lengthy and complicated performance management system with monthly reviews and having to justify your achievements at mid year and year end against your competency framework and performance standards. It’s all documented and presented and other people more senior than you decide whether you are worthy of your 0.8% rise.

My God when you actually write that down it’s f’ing unbelievable that anybody works under that regime!

I tell you, I’m out ASAP.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 17th April 2018 at 18:13.

Master
    Nothing expected... Anything received will be a bonus... And man maths will dictate it can be spent on watches.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Property Consultancy - my own pay is quite variable as I’m an equity Partner but I’ve no complaints as to whether my contribution has been adequately rewarded.
    We’ve increased our staff pay an average of 3.5% the last 2 years, but the range was 0 to about 15% with a few getting a bigger rise if they got a promotion. We look to reward high performance really well, rather than mediocrity.
    Last edited by andy tims; 17th April 2018 at 20:58.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Another in the civil service, but have to agree with an earlier comment that the pension is still mighty good relative to general private sector provision. I'm less a fan of the automatic progression that used to occur (and still does for some). I'd much rather progression really did represent performance rather than just time in post. My experience is that there are significant working flexibilities that can be used in the civil service that far surpass what you can expect in the private sector. On the other hand there's plenty that drives me nuts that I could happily walk away from!

Sales Director here. 18% pay rise on basic salary plus a retention bonus of 3 months basic salary if I stay until the end of this year as apparently they really need me for a business transformation we are currently going through. At least someone loves me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    IT in Finance company. Bugger all this year - a bit less than last year - quite depressed hence previous posta on retiring a little early. I think pay / bonuses are formulaic and I’ve hit a cealing.

Master
    IT in Finance. Bonus is an integral part of compensation here so have to look at the overall figure rather than just the base salary. ~5% increase last year. Previous 3 years have ranged between 1% & 3% increase but before that I have seen 0% for a couple of years and once even a decrease of 1% (static base salary, smaller bonus). I don’t remember a double figure percentage pay rise while staying in the same job, except once but that was more regulation driven.

Should title the thread: “A chance to crow....................”

Master
    I think I got a 1.3% increase after 3 months, not sure why this happened.....

As some are on the minimum wage and got 4.4 %, we gave everyone the same, it is the only fair thing to do. In some ways the living wage is screwing things up. We did the same last year.
    Last edited by adrianw; 18th April 2018 at 09:14.

Craftsman
    Nothing. Others in the company did. I have only not got a raise when the place was in serious trouble. I can only think I am not performing up to scratch, but there is no review/appraisal in my part. I feel short changed to be honest.

In situations like this you can moan and whine or do something about it. Time to move jobs I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Public sector so near enough bugger all for the last ten years. Reduced leave allowance, an end to pay scale progression and a shafted pension make it even worse.
    Bizzarely, they can’t understand why engagement levels are crap in the staff surveys.
    Pretty much this. We got 2% this year which is the first pay rise off the back of an 8 year pay freeze. All the while pensions have been reduced, leave reduced and as for benefits... basic health care but that is it. Salaries are probably 15% lower than Private sector. I get to work locally and with nice people so those are the main draw for me, I work a second job to cover the shortfalls and lack of any meaningful pay increases over the past 11 years. I still cannot get over when they announced the pay freeze, Directors managed to pass an 11% pay rise for themselves; pigs in the trough comes to mind, pretty similar to MP’s and it’s this attitude that gives Public Sector workers a bad name, believe me it’s a culture of ‘them and us’ for sure.

100% pay cut.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Oil and Gas contractor - Currently now at -40% from 5 years ago but I'm not complaining as at least I'm working.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Zero for five years then 1% for three years, got 0.8% last year and likely to be the same this year. I’ve been with my employer for 25 years but cannot stay any longer so I’m now very actively looking for alternative employment.
    Sounds like the BBC. We had 0 for my first 4 years, then 1% then when I had the choice of redundancy or move to Salford I said I will take redundancy thank you very much, which made up for it and then some.

Getting 2-3% each year at the new place, where I have a better salary and fewer responsibilities, so I'm not unhappy.

Remember most employers are having to cough up additional pension contributions this year, effectively this is a pay rise most people are ignoring.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Remember most employers are having to cough up additional pension contributions this year, effectively this is a pay rise most people are ignoring.
    If you live to get it.

Oil Industry here and 3% to everyone in the company who is UK based.... Yanks got more but they are flying just now.....

Master
    Blog Entries

0 pay rise

Im afraid zero payrise for me, flogging my guts out can gross about £40k max not easy hours!

Another public servant here, the 2% is better than nothing but we are way behind where we were in 2007. Do will still provide a good service? Well we do what we can with limited resources, you only have to look at the state of the roads to realise years of cuts are having a massive effect on our well being and moral.
    My first manager told me at the age of 15 " You pay peanuts you get monkeys" somethings never change.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We still don't know what our pay will be for 2018/19. They have said they will backdate it to the start of the FY, however they will also backdate any charges/fees that come directly from our pay.

Master
    If you want decent annual increases, become a pensioner.

Triple lock for the state pension and index linked for the occupational one.

Give it twenty years and pensions will have increased over wages and pensioners will be on more than the workers.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjg01 View Post
    Another in the civil service, but have to agree with an earlier comment that the pension is still mighty good relative to general private sector provision.
    The 6 years I spent at the Beeb have given me a pension about 4 x the amount that all my other 15 working years have, with salary sacrifice percentages the same all along.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    The 6 years I spent at the Beeb have given me a pension about 4 x the amount that all my other 15 working years have, with salary sacrifice percentages the same all along.
    Showing that whenever talking about public sector v private sector pay, any comparison should be the whole package.

Craftsman
    Should be around 3.5% this year and has been around that for the last few years in yearly reviews. Plus I have had a couple of promotions in the time so circa 50% increase since I started as a graduate 4.5 years ago

Hopefully get another promotion in the next 6-12 months

Master
    2%, well it's actually the 1% we've been receiving annually since it was capped and a 1% one-off (some might say bonus) payment.

I hit the top of my payscale in January so unless my pay begins to rise with inflation I'm technically taking a pay cut every year from now on, unless I get promoted.

Woo
    Last edited by MST; 20th April 2018 at 13:49.

It's coming up 16 years since I had a salary. Does that entitle me to ask "What is this 'pay rise' of which you speak?"

Master
    I've had nothing for almost 3 years but felt fortunate to avoid redundancy after 2 lots of cut backs.

I finally decided not to wait for the inevitable and following advice sought here took up a contract role within the technology department of a large financial institution. This has resulted in just over a 100% pay rise.

The contract was supposed to last 12 months but 4 months in a competitor has offered me a permanent position with another 10% rise, 20% pension contributions and an annual bonus of 10%-15%.

I'm so glad I took the advice of everyone here.

Craftsman
    Also in Oil and Gas so raises haven’t been as good as before but I have enough to live ok and I am thankful to have my job. I think sometimes people get hung up on the % increase... compare the total salary + benefits to what you would get if you moved jobs. People can always jump ship.

Master
    As I and many of my colleagues often say - if I could walk into a job that paid me generally the same tomorrow I would do it. Mildly better terms, the chance of real career progression and even slightly better work/life balance would be the icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Showing that whenever talking about public sector v private sector pay, any comparison should be the whole package.
    I’m factoring 30% on top of current salary to factor pension/flexibility and working out what I’d want to earn if I left based on that. I could still double my salary if I went contracting doing the same PPM role I’m doing now and ironically most likely contracting back into the public sector...

Master
    So here's a thing. Do people care more about progression or what's in their pay packet?

From my experience the money contracting is ridiculous but the prospects are zero and often the input is limited. I struggled with that. I find it very frustrating knowing I have a lot more to give but being stifled by a permie boss who's either more junior who doesnt want a contactor showing them up. For me its not about arrogance, power trips, creating empires etc. Its just about delivering the best solutions I possibly can. Contracting I feel I have to deliver the base expectation, nothing more, nothing less.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Steady 2.3% for the last 5 years

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    So here's a thing. Do people care more about progression or what's in their pay packet?

From my experience the money contracting is ridiculous but the prospects are zero and often the input is limited. I struggled with that. I find it very frustrating knowing I have a lot more to give but being stifled by a permie boss who's either more junior who doesnt want a contactor showing them up. For me its not about arrogance, power trips, creating empires etc. Its just about delivering the best solutions I possibly can. Contracting I feel I have to deliver the base expectation, nothing more, nothing less.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
    Impact to me is more important although there has to be a balance

I want to progress because I have a vision of how I can have a positive impact on our business, it’s products and our customers and that’s what gets me excited

I could earn more money contracting or even moving to a different sector / business but I love our products and the direct impact they have on customers!

Journeyman
    Some of you guys are lucky to have 2% per year. Pay rise in Australia is pretty much stagnant. Big topic nowadays.
    Haven't had one for 8 years but got a 10% few days ago.

Master
    Oh I’m very lucky and don’t need to worry as my boss has upon being approached repeatedly said that he is trying to find me more money as he agrees I deserve more because of all the extra duties I’m now required do.
    Im sure he is trying very hard it’s just that it’s now been nearly two years!!!
    Im sure he is trying and not just fobbing me off.... but on the other hand....

2.2% this year and last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Nice 30% cut. Public sector restructure... great week.

Master
    Probably 2% again which will make it my 3rd rise on basic pay during this austerity goverment.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Same here. I’ve not even increased our charges for work we do. Being a director and being paid mainly in dividends, my personal tax payments are on the up. This year will be the worse. Taxed after the first £2K of dividends. Last year I’m pretty sure it was after the first £5k and before that a lot, lot more. Oh well, at least I can rest easy that my tax payments will be spent wisely by our government. Not!
    After 10 years of contracting I bit the bullet last year and took a permanent role. The ever changing tax burdens of recent years have taken the life out of the contracting market. This coupled with rate squeezes has meant a decreasing bottom line every year.

The change meant a slight dip in take-home pay but if you factor in the pension contribution it was a slight increase. Eagerly looking forward to my first pay-rise early next year.....no idea what to expect, but I shall remain positive.

After a decade of pay regression there was a chink of light for rises of more than 1% this year. After months of negotiation (I use that word in its loosest form) with our unions the pay agreement was settled yesterday and....1%.

On the same day that John Lewis and Partners launched their new slogan "When you're part of it, you put your heart into it", we're told that once again we have no value to our Government. I can take that situation into my own control and find another job and I've been putting a lot of effort into doing that recently but it's not easy in the North East and there are many areas of the country where jobs are hard to come by.

Demotivated. Demoralised.

A colleague found a payslip yesterday from 2008 and their take-home was £300 a year less than it is today. In a decade!

On the bright side, at least Fenwicks window is safe.

Craftsman
    Public sector worker so like many people I`ve been stuck on 1% for the last few years. Recently we were offered 6% over 3 years if we agreed to a large increase in added roles & responsibilities, this was rejected by our Union . Our Union then entered into "meaningful negotiations" which resulted in our current 1%, the same as previous years "meaningful negotiations". 18 months till retirement , not that I`m counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    On the bright side, at least Fenwicks window is safe.
    Every cloud eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Public sector worker so like many people I`ve been stuck on 1% for the last few years. Recently we were offered 6% over 3 years if we agreed to a large increase in added roles & responsibilities, this was rejected by our Union . Our Union then entered into "meaningful negotiations" which resulted in our current 1%, the same as previous years "meaningful negotiations". 18 months till retirement , not that I`m counting.
    Six percent over three years is another three years of standard of living regression. I’m sure our union would have recommended we take that had it been offered.

Journeyman
    Pay rise, you must be joking.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    What's a pay rise ? Currently earning about 30% less than I was 4 years ago !!!

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm in DWP. We're also one of the three lowest paying Departments :(
    Did you not benefit from the employee deal? I thought that brought real benefits to those lower down the scale.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    What's a pay rise ? Currently earning about 30% less than I was 4 years ago !!!

maseman
    Same here , earning the same money what I was earning 25 years ago when my job was considered well paid

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Did you not benefit from the employee deal? I thought that brought real benefits to those lower down the scale.
    ED isn’t for my grade.