closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Pay Rise

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Been told we're getting a 3.5% rise across the board which I'm happy with as i went 8 years without an increase on my basic wage.
    Also £200 Xmas bonus and a reduction in the working work to 35 hours, possibly over 4 days.
    I’m not very good at maths but surely that hasn’t even kept up with inflation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I’m not very good at maths but surely that hasn’t even kept up with inflation.
    No it hasn't although this years is slightly higher. I've only been there 3+ years and before that, nitto

Master

Nil

I’m an Ops Director for a manned guarding company and I haven’t seen a payrise for 3 years now?!
    With the lack of Police and more people turning to private security (even the Police) the sector is doing well but we had an Ops Manager leave us at the end of last year who took £750k of contracts with him!!??? Been with us 12 months and managed to steal a client we had for 20yrs so that’s why we haven’t been able to get a payrise!!!

Good luck to anyone who gets one, I do wonder where they get these payrise figures from?? Surely a couple of top bankers etc who have had a huge payrise must bump the average up?!?

Chris

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I was on £67k last year, got a 10% rise to £70k this year, will probably get the same next year. I employ my wife as my office manager at £50k and my two kids at £30k each. I have a fabulous expense account and they even serve subsidised alcohol in the bars ar work. I bought another house to have a place closer to work, and work pays for the mortgage, furnishings, improvements etc. No expense is spared. The house is now worth £150k more, so I shall sell it soon. Yes, I'm an MP.

Reality is that I got 2.3% this years after years of no rises as I am at the top of the pay spine for my grade. I have cut my days down to 4 a week. My pension arrangements were changed to my detriment. To make up for the losses I am stealing the office furniture to sell. I need to stop though as the office is beginning to look like a Travelodge room. I am too old for other employers to be interested in me, and the age of everything we use has meant I have been de-skilled.

Health sector.

Good sense of humour.

I just got a £16k Christmas bonus so I’m going to buy an IWC to improve my status in life ;)

Master
    Threatened with firing last year . ( altercation with manager after he accused me of losing a contract and swore at me down the phone when I was on leave, 24hrs later got a phone call from the client asking me in for a standard meeting ... business as usual).

16k pay rise this year from same manager ( not had a payrise in 5 years).

Threatened with firing by manager again this year ( along with 3 other senior staff) due to a contract delivery running late . Resource allocation insuffucient , resource allocation is not my job and even then I flagged it multiple times to same manager.

Was accused of being “alarmist” 4 months later same guy is frothing at the mouth because the client has stuck a poker up his ass. His response shoot the guys who were responsible for warning him. This is like killing the pilot when he tells you the plane is out of fuel because you didn’t fill it up.

So now as well as delivering the project with sod all support from higher ups I have to placate the other critical staff after this idiot has alienated them when they’ve been killing themselves to get the work out and the client who only brought the project over ( my 5th for them) if I was the chief creative on it.

Assume I’ll get a £20k rise next year . Getting threatened with firing seems to be a strong indicator of pay rise.

Same manager told a bunch of the key critical staff that they couldn’t get a ( tiny) pay rise this year. He did it with a brand new bronze Royal Oak hanging off his wrist. “Nice watch, Royal Oak?” I said at the end of the meeting .
    He said “Yeah thanks its a new one” ... slow on the uptake this guy.

I really don’t know what this guy does to be honest. He doesn’t win in the work ( I do) , he doesn't execute or oversee the work ( I do) and he’s got zero rep in the industry ( I do).

Everytime this guy calls me up its going to be some bullshit rant. My clients don’t want anything to do with him.

Sometimes the money ain’t worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Should title the thread: “A chance to crow....................”
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Threatened with firing last year . ( altercation with manager after he accused me of losing a contract and swore at me down the phone when I was on leave, 24hrs later got a phone call from the client asking me in for a standard meeting ... business as usual).

16k pay rise this year from same manager ( not had a payrise in 5 years).

Threatened with firing by manager again this year ( along with 3 other senior staff) due to a contract delivery running late . Resource allocation insuffucient , resource allocation is not my job and even then I flagged it multiple times to same manager.

Was accused of being “alarmist” 4 months later same guy is frothing at the mouth because the client has stuck a poker up his ass. His response shoot the guys who were responsible for warning him. This is like killing the pilot when he tells you the plane is out of fuel because you didn’t fill it up.

So now as well as delivering the project with sod all support from higher ups I have to placate the other critical staff after this idiot has alienated them when they’ve been killing themselves to get the work out and the client who only brought the project over ( my 5th for them) if I was the chief creative on it.

Assume I’ll get a £20k rise next year . Getting threatened with firing seems to be a strong indicator of pay rise.

Same manager told a bunch of the key critical staff that they couldn’t get a ( tiny) pay rise this year. He did it with a brand new bronze Royal Oak hanging off his wrist. “Nice watch, Royal Oak?” I said at the end of the meeting .
    He said “Yeah thanks its a new one” ... slow on the uptake this guy.

I really don’t know what this guy does to be honest. He doesn’t win in the work ( I do) , he doesn't execute or oversee the work ( I do) and he’s got zero rep in the industry ( I do).

Everytime this guy calls me up its going to be some bullshit rant. My clients don’t want anything to do with him.

That’s the spirit!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    3% rise this year and another 3% from next April as all part of the last pay deal . Mind you there has been no increase in London Weighting for years.. This is for team members in BT..

The managers are going through a re banding exercise right now and a lot of them are getting shafted with lower bands or pay ‘splines’ or losing their jobs altogether . TBF though BT have far too many middle managers...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    As above, think the 2 year deal was the lube for shafting us with the pension change though.

Pay what????

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    got 3% which was a pleasant surprise...I am not complaining either way

3.2% here, plus an unexpected £150 Crimbo bonus, which is nice

Master
    No pay rise this year (or last year) and no bonus or Christmas do.
    But I’m at the bottom of the pile so it’s expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Lol

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ponch10 View Post
    Lol

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    ?

Grand Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Thoughts and prayers.

Your Pay Rise

Bumping this given the massive inflation going on at the moment.

With RPI currently at 7.1%, unless you are getting a similar pay rise in 2022 you are getting poorer.

I can see a few strikes and unrest happening, as nobody gets awarded over 7% pay rise in the real world, and it looks like it is only set to get worse.

Blog Entries
    Pissed off last year, got 1.5% saying how times were hard etc etc, only to find the company a month later reported record profits in excess of 750mil

I don’t want to give too much away about my employer but I believe April 2022 will see 2.0%. Used to work a second job and also book time off to work at Festivals but the pandemic has quashed all my second income streams. As mentioned, inflation is realistically way higher than published figures ; unless we are all buying new TVs and tech every few months, so it is not looking too Rosie. However, I am gutted for travel and hospitality; as well as everyone affected by the Pandemic who will be massively affected, so I really should not moan. Sympathy and best wishes to everyone over the festive period and to all worse off or in fear of their jobs. I really hope things work out for you.

Master
    What is this “Pay rise” thing ?

As most employers costs have risen significantly, covid, supply chain disruption and shortages are affecting profits significantly, unless you work for the government, banks or insurance companies I wouldn't be holding my breath for an increase.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    What is this “Pay rise” thing ?
    Indeed.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

It´s being reported that essential workers, are thousands worse off than a decade ago, pay simply hasn´t kept up with inflation. Then there´s the higher taxes, levied via the NI increase next year, essentially a jobs tax which the lower paid, ergo critical workers will feel most. Ostensibly to fix the Care sector, though I have my doubts personally.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-ago-tuc-says

When I worked... sales of advertising, media solutions, sometimes event sponsorships I always tried to secure as a minimum 3 to 5 percent annual increase otherwise you´re simply micturating into the breeze. Apply the LIM process of negotiation, LIKE, INTEND, MUST GET...figure out ahead of time and then stick to your numbers, go in armed with a list of your achievements and examples of overperformance. Perhaps easier to do in a sales, trading type environment.
    Good Luck.

Wishing everyone a healthy, happy and prosperous Christmas and New Year.

Will be interesting to hear what you get as we both work for the same company!!

Craftsman

Your Pay Rise

and that’s without the extra 1.25% we’’ are due to lose in April

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    It´s being reported that essential workers, are thousands worse off than a decade ago, pay simply hasn´t kept up with inflation. Then there´s the higher taxes, levied via the NI increase next year, essentially a jobs tax which the lower paid, ergo critical workers will feel most. Ostensibly to fix the Care sector, though I have my doubts personally.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-ago-tuc-says

When I worked... sales of advertising, media solutions, sometimes event sponsorships I always tried to secure as a minimum 3 to 5 percent annual increase otherwise you´re simply micturating into the breeze. Apply the LIM process of negotiation, LIKE, INTEND, MUST GET...figure out ahead of time and then stick to your numbers, go in armed with a list of your achievements and examples of overperformance. Perhaps easier to do in a sales, trading type environment.
    Good Luck.

Wishing everyone a healthy, happy and prosperous Christmas and New Year.
    Unfortunately not possible in the public sector. The only way to get a decent pay rise to is to get yourself promoted!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    and that’s without the extra 1.25% we’’ are due to lose in April

Also the personal allowances have I understand been frozen, so over time the tax free part of your salary won´t keep pace with inflation, a sneaky and invidious move imho. Due to last until 2026, so by no means a here today gone tomorrow move and might be extended.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Unfortunately not possible in the public sector. The only way to get a decent pay rise to is to get yourself promoted!
    Yup...unfortunate that, I guess you can´t also play the card/ sow the rumour you´ve been headhunted by the competition ahead of annual performance- salary review time.

Your Pay Rise

It is not just purchasing power that is being lost, but also fiscal drag. Tax bands stay roughly stationary and salary increases push you quickly into higher tax bands.

Then watch any cash savings in the bank dwindle in purchasing power.

Inflation is a insidious and pernicious tax that nobody really worries about. But, it should be a top priority if you want to keep up your standard of living. Imagine if the Government increased income tax by a few percent!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    It is not just purchasing power that is being lost, but also fiscal drag. Tax bands stay roughly stationary and salary increases push you quickly into higher tax bands.

Inflation is a insidious and pernicious tax that nobody really worries about. But, it should be a top priority if you want to keep up your standard of living. Imagine if the Government increased income tax by a few percent!!
    The obvious answer is to convert the cash savings into assets for which there is a demand. Normally just buying into equities will do the job.

Try buying a few Rolex or PPs, it's just a new way of living but leaving a load of cash in a bank or building society is a mugs game.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Indeed always, inflation even when low it's there, important to recognise that, try to act, plan accordingly. Time and tax, 2 of the bigger factors which impact your wealth.

Crypto Mick that's the way forward!...this in no way represents financial advice.
    Last edited by Passenger; 24th December 2021 at 11:00.

Master
    Indeed always, inflation even when low it's there, important to recognise that, try to act, plan accordingly.

Crypto Mick that's the way forward!...this in now way represents financial advice.
    I have no interest in crypto and Buffet advises to run away from it. But I just can't comment on it because I know nothing about it.

However property and equities nearly always do well during inflation. You have been around long enough to know that.

The golden rule is to get shot of cash because it devalues.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    As most employers costs have risen significantly, covid, supply chain disruption and shortages are affecting profits significantly, unless you work for the government, banks or insurance companies I wouldn't be holding my breath for an increase.
    Agreed all cost bases gone up but also had to increase staff wages by in some cases 25% or they would just leave regardless of time served not sure how this next year will pan out

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have no interest in crypto and Buffet advises to run away from it. But I just can't comment on it because I know nothing about it.

However property and equities nearly always do well during inflation. You have been around long enough to know that.

The golden rule is to get shot of cash because it devalues.
    Twas but a joke Mick...I'm not myself a believer.

I like a cash reserve, the sense of security and accessibility, but I'll admit these days it doesn't pay, fortunately hyperinflation of other assets makes up for that.
    But my apologies we've drifted off topic.

I'm in the process of buying an apartment on the Welsh coast as a weekend place using our cash savings. Mrs.R was concerned about the running costs (about 6k pa taking into account double council tax, service charge etc).
    Until I explained that the cash being used for the purchase plus the savings I've ringfenced to pay the running costs for the next 7 or 8 years were worth 5-6k less for every year sat idle in the building society anyway. It takes on a whole new light then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I'm in the process of buying an apartment on the Welsh coast as a weekend place using our cash savings. Mrs.R was concerned about the running costs (about 6k pa taking into account double council tax, service charge etc).
    Until I explained that the cash being used for the purchase plus the savings I've ringfenced to pay the running costs for the next 7 or 8 years were worth 5-6k less for every year sat idle in the building society anyway. It takes on a whole new light then.
    We’re trying to do same at the moment albeit on the South Coast. Money is shrinking all the time it’s in the bank! Only problem is the place we’re buying isn’t registered at the Land Registry…our offer was accepted in July and we’ve made 0 progress since! We’ve started looking for other property now but it’s the wrong time so not much coming on…

We’re trying to do same at the moment albeit on the South Coast. Money is shrinking all the time it’s in the bank! Only problem is the place we’re buying isn’t registered at the Land Registry…our offer was accepted in July and we’ve made 0 progress since! We’ve started looking for other property now but it’s the wrong time so not much coming on…
    Yes, very quiet at the moment but good luck with your buy. Patience is key for you now but that is a long time to wait.
    We were ready to buy last year, but the market was effectively closed down and we were quickly priced out of our first choice area when it started moving again. Our offer on this one was accepted in October, and yesterday the searches came back, so something is happening thankfully.

Your Pay Rise

Decent increase set for Jan due to a restructure although nothing in writing currently re basic. I’ll believe it when I see it.

It’s nonsense though as in sales you never really get a pay rise. Your basic goes up but then somehow your bonus magically goes down and your P60 shows pretty much the same value year on year. Sometimes less.

However pension is only done on basic salary so the extra contribution is the only real increase you get and that’s the bit I generally look forward to.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 24th December 2021 at 12:57.

Master
    2022 pay increase will be paid from Q3 2022 and will be RPI + 0.25% (based on RPI value at July 2022 from the ONS).

This was agreed in 2020 as payrises are agreed for 3 years at a time.

I have a feeling there will be a get out clause saying the company might fold if they honour their word.

Interesting to see what the ONS figures say in July 2022

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Correct and it has been so for a very long time. I’ve managed to get the promotion to the grade I’ve been working bloody hard for for a long time so am now in the best financial position I’ve ever been in. It has meant taking a few risks and putting myself into roles that were challenging and sometimes uncomfortable but it has paid off now.

Last year I got a 14% Clinical Excellence Bonus, which you apply for and a scoring system ranks you against the other staff
    I then gave about half of it immediately back to the taxman.
    Then a 3-4% pay rise across the NHS for all doctors
    Then I got about a 1% pay cut, what with NI increases.

This year I got an additional 3% tax bill for growth in my pension pot (The Annual Allowance trap !) Pension growth happened because of inflation, which I can't control.
    This year also my hospital asked me to take 4% pay cut in regular hours reduction, but then asked me to continue doing the overtime, which I charge at about 300% of the hourly rate, and netted me a 10% overtime bonus.
    - which I immediately paid half back to the government in income tax.

So public sector working in the NHS is a pay/tax farce. The money just goes round in circles.

It's not all bad, I live very comfortably and will hit my LTA with the NHS pension pot in about 8-9 years.
    I work probably 56-60 hours a week, including weekends and night work.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Decent increase set for Jan due to a restructure although nothing in writing currently re basic. I’ll believe it when I see it.

It’s nonsense though as in sales you never really get a pay rise. Your basic goes up but then somehow your bonus magically goes down and your P60 shows pretty much the same value year on year. Sometimes less.

However pension is only done on basic salary so the extra contribution is the only real increase you get and that’s the bit I generally look forward to.
    re Sales that genuinely wasn't my experience or the wifes come to that, we started in the same field B2B media, though she went more exhibition sales and management, I flitted between B2B, contract/customer publishing and newspapers..frequent moving can be another successful strategy though that doesn't come without new job/ new challenge pressures... but I suspect our experiences might be an outlier not the norm. And of course the times are always a changin'.
    Last edited by Passenger; 24th December 2021 at 13:40.

got 6% a few moths back - but 6% of not very much isn't much either !

stepped back from well paid engineering career a couple of years ago , down sized and moved to Scotland. at 52 am too young for full retirement so currently working in the primary food production industry.

As one of the token english speakers (and that includes half the locals) all this bollocks about not being able to hire staff is RUBBISH. companies cant hire because the pay is too damn low and they are unwilling to train new starts properly.

I can pootle along nicely without touching my savings as no kids and no mortgage but even with both halves of a couple working in this industry no chance of saving for a mortgage deposit , no easy time raising kids and forget things like decent holidays or heaven forbid an overpriced bauble like a swiss watch. enjoy your turkey , salmon , beef , veg & fruit etc ...

Master
    Pay rise lol. Just got binned after seven years

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

re Sales that genuinely wasn't my experience or the wifes come to that, we started in the same field B2B media, though she went more exhibition sales and management, I flitted between B2B, contract/customer publishing and newspapers..frequent moving can be another successful strategy though that doesn't come without new job/ new challenge pressures... but I suspect our experiences might be an outlier not the norm. And of course the times are always a changin'.
    In the old days it was a lot more clear cut but these days there is a lot of smoke and mirrors on salary and incentives.

The trick usually is to find a new job where the basic matches your current OTE but that’s easier said than done and gets harder each time. Personally I’ve found that start/scale ups have the worst benefits and the longest hours by a country mile. I wouldn’t bother with another.

Master
    I’m currently technically unemployed but will be starting a new job in January.
    My previous job went from being an averagely paid for my industry and skills with the massive bonus for me of working from home 10 years ago. To 10 years of an average of less than 1% per annum pay rises and work from home being incredibly common.
    Covid knocked our industry very hard so after discussions with the CEO about the possibility of pay increases I started scouting for new work.
    My new job is 90% wfh and carries a significant pay bump so I’m losing very litttle on the work life balance and gaining a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    ... snip

As one of the token english speakers (and that includes half the locals) all this bollocks about not being able to hire staff is RUBBISH. companies cant hire because the pay is too damn low and they are unwilling to train new starts properly.

...snip
    Training has become someone else's problem/cost, and it's really short-sighted. I have little sympathy when companies are unable to recruit with the double whammy of low wages/lack of training. If you don't invest in your staff and remunerate them sufficiently you will be spending any savings on disruption of precesses and recruitment costs. We have been spoilt by people willing to work for poor pay for too long.

Master
    I have hopes for January too but for a slightly different reason: two additional employees transferred over to me earlier this year whose compensation is significantly higher than mine despite far less stress and responsibility. In my industry it is extremely rare for managers to earn less than their staff and it is always a short term glitch. A situation HR are very uncomfortable with. I have been verbally told this is not sustainable (in a positive sense). Don't feel like their answer to this is getting rid of me, given my annual performance review but who knows lol. Another case of "I will believe it when I see it".

In the old days it was a lot more clear cut but these days there is a lot of smoke and mirrors on salary and incentives.

The trick usually is to find a new job where the basic matches your current OTE but that’s easier said than done and gets harder each time. Personally I’ve found that start/scale ups have the worst benefits and the longest hours by a country mile. I wouldn’t bother with another.
    We always stuck with the establisheds, used them as they used us 9 to 5 and hit the property thing weekends and after work.

Yes it' was a good trick. For me it was only ever time limited experience, eventually everyone burns out. I've seen it a couple of times in former colleagues.
    Last edited by Passenger; 24th December 2021 at 16:48.

Master
    Pay rise, the only pay rise I get is if I put the rents up on our properties, lol.
    Although I did get an increase of 4% on my pension this year.