closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I mis hear....£86k fine ?

Master

Did I mis hear....£86k fine ?

Just listening to the news and that jovial Geordie lads drink drive fine, I thought they had misread it until they proceeded to announce it amounts to 2/3 of his WEEKLY salary!! So unless my maths fails me he is on over half a mil a month. I’m speechless

A couple of months inside would have been better.

That's footballers money.

District Judge Barbara Barnes described McPartlin as a "well-known and successful entertainer", taking his weekly income of about £130,000 into consideration when calculating the fine.”

So about £585k per month

Master
    Could well be a touch of media bs, it could have been 1.5 x his weekly salary, not that it makes a massive difference

Craftsman
    *his old salary....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highest paid “earners” on TV
    £30 mill a year between them

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Highest paid “earners” on TV
    £30 mill a year between them
    Thats a lot of money for a couple of foreheads

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Thats a lot of money for a couple of foreheads
    Did you mean 'fore' ?

Haven’t they got three foreheads between them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    So unless my maths fails me he is on over half a mil a month.
    Not any more he's not, unless ITV are happy to have a convicted drunk driver on its books.

Most of us in the real world would be signing on by now, if not inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Not any more he's not, unless ITV are happy to have a convicted drunk driver on its books.
    I don't think ITV will bat an eyelid. Bums on seats laddie innit ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why was he fined £86000? Joe Punter wouldn’t be.

He got banned check
    He got fined check
    He got screwed over check

No sympathy but he’s been had wrongly. Fines are not based on what you can afford but what the crime or offence is.

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post

He got banned check
    He got fined check

No sympathy but he’s been had wrongly. Fines are not based on what you can afford but what the crime or offence is.

Jim
    Fines are now means tested.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Fines are now means tested.
    Roger. I Stand corrected. Thank you.

Fines are not based on what you can afford but what the crime or offence is.

https://www.gov.uk/drink-driving-penalties

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    District Judge Barbara Barnes described McPartlin as a "well-known and successful entertainer", taking his weekly income of about £130,000 into consideration when calculating the fine.”

So about £585k per month

So someone on £300 a month could expect a fine of about £198 then?

Funny how here it says 150% of weekly income as a starting point!
    https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/h...driving/38.htm

https://www.drinkdriving.org/drink-d...te.php#penalty

Master

Most of us in the real world would be signing on by now, if not inside.
    What for drink driving?

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    What for drink driving?
    Being in charge of a vehicle while above the legal limit or unfit through drink
    You may get:

- 3 months’ imprisonment
    - up to £2,500 fine
    - a possible driving ban

Driving or attempting to drive while above the legal limit or unfit through drink
    You may get:

- 6 months’ imprisonment
    - an unlimited fine
    - a driving ban for at least 1 year (3 years if convicted twice in 10 years)

Blog Entries
    You may get:

- 3 months’ imprisonment
    - up to £2,500 fine
    - a possible driving ban

Driving or attempting to drive while above the legal limit or unfit through drink
    You may get:

- 6 months’ imprisonment
    - an unlimited fine
    Unless you're a footballer or rich celebrity who can simply pay a big fine.

This fine wont bother him at all, or the 20 month ban, he'll just pay a driver. He should have been given the maximum permissible jail sentence. It's a miracle nobody was hurt given the urban setting where he crashed.
    F.T.F.A.

Whether you like what they do or not (and clearly a lot of people do), Ant and Dec do their kind of thing pretty well. You’ve only got to look at the endless Top Gear/Grand Tour debates to see that presenting is a lot more difficult than it looks. TV history is littered with failed presenters, often those who have been successful in other formats - just look at Mel and Sue; great on Bake Off (if that’s your thing), mind-boggling awful on just about everything else they’ve tried. Ant and Dec are consistently good at their schtick - hence they’re the go to choice for light entertainment shows. More importantly, they seem to be less fatiguing than a lot of personalities, and have not seemed to have worn out their welcome. A lot of other TV “personalities” seem ok in small doses, but we seem to get sick of sooner or later; some sooner like Piers Morgan or Giles Coren, others a bit later like Jonathan Ross - I’ve liked all of these initially (even Piers Morgan), but the problem with trying to be a bit “edgy” is that you end up irritating people. Ant and Dec are inoffensive, but just have enough cheeky-chappiness to be entertaining.

It a it a very close analogy to footballers. They’d paid what they are, because they’re doing something not many other people can. Hence it a shame when Ant endangers his career the way he has.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Goes to show that contrition works.

It’s tough, how do you find a person who already earns more than he needs or can spend?

In summer they have a big prom with the mega rich from the Middle East, they import their Ferrari’s to use while over here and then just park them where they like. Double red route outside harrods while they go shopping, the car gets towed and they just pay one of their staff to collect it and fix the fine.

Regarding young Ant, £86k probably didn’t even cover the cost of the court hearing and all the extra police needed outside.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    It’s tough, how do you find a person who already earns more than he needs or can spend?

In summer they have a big prom with the mega rich from the Middle East, they import their Ferrari’s to use while over here and then just park them where they like. Double red route outside harrods while they go shopping, the car gets towed and they just pay one of their staff to collect it and fix the fine.

Regarding young Ant, £86k probably didn’t even cover the cost of the court hearing and all the extra police needed outside.
    Arguably, for people on that much money, most of his income is truly disposable anyway, so even a week’s wages at that inflated rate won’t even sting. With showbiz types, it’s more about damage to their reputation and future bankability. There’s no doubt Ant’s in a bit of trouble there - a bit of a (conveniently timed) self admitted substance abuse problem is one thing, but to combine it with drink-driving conviction really doesn’t shout “family friendly”. I doubt they’ll do any driving related gags on IACGMOOH.

Master
    You'd have thought he could employ a driver on his salary.

I'd do it for the same amount as the fine

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Hence it a shame when Ant endangers his career lives the way he has.

Craftsman
    So has he messed up his mates career as well, can't see them being any good on their own, and I use good selectively .

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Haven’t they got three foreheads between them?
    At least one fivehead.

I didn’t see any “Victim Surcharge” mentioned in the sentencing? They usually bung that on as a matter of course - even when there are no tangible victims?

At least he managed to make his statement on the steps - without referring to a printed sheet (mind you - he is used to reading and remembering scripts)

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I didn’t see any “Victim Surcharge” mentioned in the sentencing? They usually bung that on as a matter of course - even when there are no tangible victims?
    Never understood that, why not include in the fine and give some to victim if required. Just more bureaucracy/paperwork.

Master
    You may get:

- 3 months’ imprisonment
    - up to £2,500 fine
    - a possible driving ban

You may get:

- 6 months’ imprisonment
    - an unlimited fine
    I know a few people that have been banned, but none have either lost their jobs or come close to going to prison. Do you know any?

If your an intelligent acoholic/drug addict (is he?) wouldn't it be cheaper to get a taxi? It seems he hasn't grown up much since his Byker school days.

Craftsman
    Hope there was a victims surcharge of equal value!

After years of being in front of the TV cameras for years i've learnt the art of being able to look so very very very very sorry that it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    You'd have thought he could employ a driver on his salary.

I'd do it for the same amount as the fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    If your an intelligent acoholic/drug addict (is he?) wouldn't it be cheaper to get a taxi? It seems he hasn't grown up much since his Byker school days.
    This is what makes it more serious imo. It’s a bit like George Michael getting stoned and crashing into Snappysnaps - these people really don’t need to do their own driving, so driving under the influence is unforgivable, and the public is far less forgiving. It make them look like spoilt children.

Echoing a lot of the sentiment already said here but the punishment here is simply not proportionate to what it would mean for joe public committing the same offence. Particularly pertinent, as in the post above, these people DO NOT NEED to do their own driving, they have no excuse for it in the first place and then compounded with the fact the ban doesn't change anything for him but would render most people in serious financial and life-changing difficulty.

I think a lot of the comments here are because posters don't like him or it's cool not to.

This is, after all Britain's highest ever drink-driving fine. Wayne Rooney wasn't even fined when he pleaded guilty to the offence.

Master
    Whatever you think of him, and I don’t know him at all other than his TV persona, I wish him the best of luck in dealing with his problems.

Alcohol addiction linked to depression is real, and doesn’t get much sympathy, but I hope his friends and family get around him and ensure he gets the help he surely needs.

Grand Master

He got banned check
    He got fined check

Jim
    I think they should be,I'm sure they'll be circumstances where celebs have got away with things Joe public never would.........screw them big style,I don't have time for over paid celebs.

Master
    Is this true? Just saw it on Facebook.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Is this true? Just saw it on Facebook.
    Well, partly, Sir Michael Fallon was convicted of drink driving 35 years ago (1983), and was knighted some 30 years later.

Fines for drunk driving weren’t means tested back then.

So technically correct, but the timelines are out...

Facebook eh!

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I think they should be,I'm sure they'll be circumstances where celebs have got away with things Joe public never would.........screw them big style,I don't have time for over paid celebs.

They are, already.

Craftsman
    On his earnings, doing a job he must have loved, you’d think he wouldn’t have a care in the world. Well that’s obviously wrong. There’s no doubt the lad needs help. He is ill. Easier said than done and it just proves than money can’t always bring you happiness. Also, his mum was in the car at the time. She said she didn’t know he was drunk. Piss off! She could have played a part in preventing him from driving. All that money and I wouldn’t swap places with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Whatever you think of him, and I don’t know him at all other than his TV persona, I wish him the best of luck in dealing with his problems.

Alcohol addiction linked to depression is real, and doesn’t get much sympathy, but I hope his friends and family get around him and ensure he gets the help he surely needs.
    ^^^ This for me too.

As much as I find drink driving completely inexcusable, addiction is addiction and needs treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Never understood that, why not include in the fine and give some to victim if required. Just more bureaucracy/paperwork.
    Officially the VSC goes toward the victims of crime but not sure how but that is what we have to say in court. Works out 10% of a fine but capped to set charges for community order or custodial sentences

From a friendly forum JP

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    ^^^ This for me too.

As much as I find drink driving completely inexcusable, addiction is addiction and needs treatment.
    +1

He's made a mistake and will pay for it in many ways not just the fine. He's got a long road ahead and I wish him well.

He was twice the limit, he had an accident.

He got off lightly,

He effectively got a lesser punishment than someone on minimum wage, the ban will hardly effect him, he will employ a driver and hardly notice the cost.

His punishment should have been much more severe.

Craftsman
    The career damage will be enough,putting him in prison would only give him free re-hab.