closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 61 of 61

Thread: Pelagos bezel lume has fallen out

  1. #51
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    galvanic corrosion
    Itís not just the bronze that has this issue.

    I have a BB red ETA bought off this good forum. The crown tube had pitting as a result of galvanic corrosion (most likely from use in sea water). It was well out of warranty but Tudor replaced it free of charge.
    They recommend that all black bays are washed regularly to remove any sea water / sweat which can cause the issue where the stainless steel meets the aluminium.

  2. #52
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    The bezel, like the case of the watch (except for the back which is stainless steel) is aluminized bronze. This material is highly corrosion resistant, and excellent for marine applications. It's especially popular with boat propellers. Look at the case-it's pretty much as messed up as the bezel insert. The insert itself is aluminum, and clearly far more susceptible to whatever the watch was exposed to. Your chemistry memories aside, I think Tudor probably tested the watch extensively in salt water before selling to the public. Pure bronze does have issues w/ salt water, but when alloyed with other metals (like aluminum) does quite well in the ocean.
    If it is galvanic corrosion, the bronze isnít corroding in the normal sense, like rust or acid pitting. It is more of an electrical effect. Aluminium ions flow from the bezel onto the bronze. That leaves holes in the bezel and rough deposits on the bronze. It is a natural effect when 2 different metals complete a circuit through a conducting liquid, like a battery.

    The type of bronze makes a difference but only in that if it has similar Ďnobilityí to aluminium the effect will be less. Bronze ship propellors are often protected by sacrificial anodes, which will attract the metal ions coming from the hull etc. , otherwise they would end up looking like that right hand case. Sea water only makes a difference because it conducts electricity very well. The same thing can happen in fresh water.

    I am reaching the limits of my chemistry A-Level + google-fu :). Someone with a bit more recent practical experience may be able to explain it better and correct any mistakes I have made. It would be good to know if Rolex did test this out and have protected the watch in some way (e.g. insulating the bezel insert). Maybe the bezel on the right hasnít been fitted properly or there is a manufacturing fault.

  3. #53
    Craftsman bedlam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by sazzle View Post
    Itís not just the bronze that has this issue. I have a BB red ETA bought off this good forum. The crown tube had pitting as a result of galvanic corrosion (most likely from use in sea water). It was well out of warranty but Tudor replaced it free of charge. They recommend that all black bays are washed regularly to remove any sea water / sweat which can cause the issue where the stainless steel meets the aluminium.
    Very interesting to hear. I warned people about Tudor using aluminium collars on the BB and was loudly poo-pooed.

  4. #54
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Very interesting to hear. I warned people about Tudor using aluminium collars on the BB and was loudly poo-pooed.
    Always good to be vindicated. ;-)

    Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

  5. #55
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by sazzle View Post
    Itís not just the bronze that has this issue.

    I have a BB red ETA bought off this good forum. The crown tube had pitting as a result of galvanic corrosion (most likely from use in sea water). It was well out of warranty but Tudor replaced it free of charge.
    They recommend that all black bays are washed regularly to remove any sea water / sweat which can cause the issue where the stainless steel meets the aluminium.
    Yep. That aluminum crown spacer is ugly, mechanically unnecessary, AND bad engineering.

  6. #56
    Master searat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Neath Valley, Wales and at sea..
    Posts
    1,617
    My Pelagos is back - theyíve given the case and bracelet a refresh as well as the new bezel. Looks good as new.
    Steve



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #57
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    My Pelagos is back - theyíve given the case and bracelet a refresh as well as the new bezel. Looks good as new.
    Steve



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When mine was sent off they explicitly told me they would not re-finish the case and bracelet unless the watch was being serviced. I even asked for it and was willing to pay so you have done well there.

  8. #58
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Yep. That aluminum crown spacer is ugly, mechanically unnecessary, AND bad engineering.
    Presumably this is why the spacer/winder tube on the new GMT is stainless steel?

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  9. #59
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    264
    Good to see Tudor standing behind their product in your case. Congrats on a splendid result.

  10. #60
    Craftsman bedlam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Presumably this is why the spacer/winder tube on the new GMT is stainless steel?
    Tudor should issue a recall on the BB and replace the aluminium with a stainless collar in that case.

  11. #61
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Tudor should issue a recall on the BB and replace the aluminium with a stainless collar in that case.
    They should just redesign the crown/tube and fit a conventional crown. It would be more functional and less silly looking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •