timefactors watches
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 61

Thread: Pelagos bezel lume has fallen out

  1. #1
    Master searat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Neath Valley, Wales and at sea..
    Posts
    1,592

    Pelagos bezel lume has fallen out

    Just noticed that the luminous inlay at 45 minutes on my Tudor Pelagos is no longer there. No glow. Didnít know they could fall out...
    Will pop into the service centre when Iím in London this week and see how much to get it repaired. Anyone else lost their lume?
    Cheers,
    Steve




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Craftsman cf31bloobird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bridgend, South Wales
    Posts
    679
    Wouldn't expect that to happen! ... gutted, you would hope there'd be no charge for something like that

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    346
    I thought it was painted onto the bezel. Had no idea they could pop out. Did you knock it or anything?

    Be interesting to see what Tudor say.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    2,089
    This is the fifth or sixth time I've seen this come up. It's a problem with the design.

  5. #5
    Master searat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Neath Valley, Wales and at sea..
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    I thought it was painted onto the bezel. Had no idea they could pop out. Did you knock it or anything?

    Be interesting to see what Tudor say.
    I donít recall knocking it against anything, but might have - the Pelagos is my most regularly worn watch so gets lightly bashed against things sometimes.
    I thought the lume was moulded-in to the bezel so was surprised it could come out.
    Steve


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    2,089
    Do you swim in a pool? One lost all its like after a summer of swimming.

  7. #7
    Master DimGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLAS
    Posts
    1,354
    i have seen it in watches from the far east ( armidas for example ) and i have repaired quite a few in this category . I would not expect this to happen in a Tudor
    The problem is with the binder they have used in the luminova mix

  8. #8
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    4,042
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    i have seen it in watches from the far east ( armidas for example ) and i have repaired quite a few in this category . I would not expect this to happen in a Tudor
    The problem is with the binder they have used in the luminova mix
    So what catalyst would cause the binder to fail? Chlorine, heat?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Master DimGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLAS
    Posts
    1,354
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    So what catalyst would cause the binder to fail? Chlorine, heat?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    different binders dry faster than others and then the lume pops off but tritec's binder is excellent . No idea what they have used

  10. #10
    Craftsman Exiztence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    260
    Not the first time I see this, funny that BBBronze has issues when used in water too.

  11. #11
    Master searat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Neath Valley, Wales and at sea..
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Do you swim in a pool? One lost all its like after a summer of swimming.
    Rarely swim in a pool but I do use my watches in saltwater regularly. I do the recommended rinse in fresh water afterwards (mainly to stop bezel getting all bound up with salt crystals). Popping into the Tudor/Rolex service centre today to see what they say.
    Steve


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,171

    Wink

    Looks like another fragile rarity to look forward to in 30 years then!

    ďFor sale Tudor Pelagos with original lume in bezel (insert double the price of others)Ē

    ďDoes anyone wear their vintage Pelagos?Ē

    ďIs this an original Pelagos bezel?Ē

    ďHow to re-lume Pelagos bezelĒ


    Seems a shame that regular swimming in a dive watch results in that happening.

    Iíd love an eta one but if I did own one Iíd now be thinking Ďbetter not get it wetí or constantly checking the lume is still there, you shouldnít be worrying about this type of thing with a supposed rugged tool Watch.

  13. #13
    Craftsman cf31bloobird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bridgend, South Wales
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    Popping into the Tudor/Rolex service centre today to see what they say.
    Be interested to hear what they have to say Steve


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  14. #14
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    4,042
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Looks like another fragile rarity to look forward to in 30 years then!

    ďFor sale Tudor Pelagos with original lume in bezel (insert double the price of others)Ē

    ďDoes anyone wear their vintage Pelagos?Ē

    ďIs this an original Pelagos bezel?Ē

    ďHow to re-lume Pelagos bezelĒ


    Seems a shame that regular swimming in a dive watch results in that happening.

    Iíd love an eta one but if I did own one Iíd now be thinking Ďbetter not get it wetí or constantly checking the lume is still there, you shouldnít be worrying about this type of thing with a supposed rugged tool Watch.
    Mines the eta and been exposed to all sorts. Chlorine weekly - salt water - heat ice - no issues. Perhaps all the issues are from one batch maybe one delivery of binder wasnít fit for purpose


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Master Lammylee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,628
    What is the age of your Pelagos? Iíve previously heard of problems with a few of the very early watches.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Master searat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Neath Valley, Wales and at sea..
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    What is the age of your Pelagos? Iíve previously heard of problems with a few of the very early watches.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Iíve had it from new, canít remember if itís late 2013 or during 2014 (will dig out receipt to check) dropped it off at the service centre this morning - awaiting quote for repair.
    Steve


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Mines the eta and been exposed to all sorts. Chlorine weekly - salt water - heat ice - no issues. Perhaps all the issues are from one batch maybe one delivery of binder wasnít fit for purpose


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thatís good to hear.

    Hopefully someone can pinpoint it to a specific batch like you say.

  18. #18
    Master Glen Goyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,680
    Mine is one of the first as well. Also swim with it every holiday. Curious how this is solved, probably just an incident.

  19. #19
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    67
    It looks like an easy fix I would not worry about this

  20. #20
    Craftsman bedlam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)
    Posts
    876
    I can't help but chuckle at the 'but its a Tudor, this shouldn't happen' like comments.

    Spending a bit more money and buying a prestige brand doesn't protect you from the fact there is a failure rate in all manufacturing. And once you use a machine out in the wild a brand name won't save you from additional problems.

    Tudor will do its best, but sh!t will still happen.
    Last edited by bedlam; 18th April 2018 at 04:47.

  21. #21
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I can't help but chuckle at the 'but its a Tudor, this shouldn't happen' like comments.

    Spending a bit more money and buying a prestige brand doesn't protect you from the fact there is a failure rate in all manufacturing. And once you use a machine out in the wild a brand name won't save you from additional problems.

    Tudor will do its best, but sh!t will still happen.
    ^^^ This indeed. Sage words.

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I can't help but chuckle at the 'but its a Tudor, this shouldn't happen' like comments.

    Spending a bit more money and buying a prestige brand doesn't protect you from the fact there is a failure rate in all manufacturing. And once you use a machine out in the wild a brand name won't save you from additional problems.

    Tudor will do its best, but sh!t will still happen.
    Exactly this. When mine went back due to a bezel issue the chap at the AD was very apologetic and I simply said if I bought a lambo things could still go wrong. Itís not important that it has broken its how the defect is dealt with that I care about. Just because itís expensive and manufactured by a premium brand in the segment it does not guarantee nothing can go wrong.

  23. #23
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    4,042
    Interesting to compare buying a watch from a dealer to buying a car from a dealer. When I bought my car there was a small issue with it and it took them a couple of weeks to fix it but they needed to keep my car while they did this as it involved the ECU in the engine. The comparison to buying a watch that has a fault is that they automatically offered me a pool car to drive about in while they fixed it.

    Only new watch I had to take back was a Breitling superocean heritage and it got sent back to Breitling for work. Bottom line is that I had paid a large amount of money and had no watch for 5 weeks. Of course this being WIS I had other watches, but if I had no other watch Iím not sure Iíd be happy at all with nothing in my bank and nothing on my wrist.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    New York, London, Dubai
    Posts
    221
    Seen a number of threads on various forums displaying this issue with the Pelagos bezel loom.

    Be interesting to see what RSC say.

  25. #25
    Master searat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Neath Valley, Wales and at sea..
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Seen a number of threads on various forums displaying this issue with the Pelagos bezel loom.

    Be interesting to see what RSC say.
    Still waiting for their response - I dropped the watch off last Tuesday, had an email yesterday saying they had contacted Geneva but hadnít heard back yet.
    Steve


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    Craftsman smalleyboy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    768
    Iím interested to see what their response is as I have an ETA powered Pelagos. If itís a known inherent fault, then I hope they fix it free of charge even if the warranty has expired.

  27. #27
    I have always loved the Pelagos, citing it before now as an achievable grail for myself, and I read most threads about it I come across.

    There always seem to be some niggles from everybody who owns one, only small things here and there, but just enough that I'm really unsure if I wouldn't fall out of love with it very quickly.

    But then again, where do you go for such a matte dial? It is a thing of total beauty.

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    I have always loved the Pelagos, citing it before now as an achievable grail for myself, and I read most threads about it I come across.

    There always seem to be some niggles from everybody who owns one, only small things here and there, but just enough that I'm really unsure if I wouldn't fall out of love with it very quickly.

    But then again, where do you go for such a matte dial? It is a thing of total beauty.
    The ones going wrong are always going to be more mentioned than the ones that donít. If it helps it didnít put me off mine one bit.

  29. #29
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    3,130
    Never had any niggle with mine, owned since 2011, and still very much apprciated. In fact, i think i will go and put it on now.
    Dave

  30. #30
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,554
    Never had an issue with mine and I have had it years. It's the perfect watch for me.

    I too am intrested in what RSC say. It's how you deal with a problem that keeps customers coming back.
    I hope the OP gets the resolution he wants.

  31. #31
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    4,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    The ones going wrong are always going to be more mentioned than the ones that donít. If it helps it didnít put me off mine one bit.
    They sold by the thousand so itís a minor issue Iím sure.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Master searat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Neath Valley, Wales and at sea..
    Posts
    1,592
    Update - received message today (3rd May) to let me know that the bezel has been replaced free of charge and the watch awaits collection. Iím happy with that - canít imagine that a Pelagos bezel is inexpensive if Iíd had to pay for it.
    Steve


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    Update - received message today (3rd May) to let me know that the bezel has been replaced free of charge and the watch awaits collection. Iím happy with that - canít imagine that a Pelagos bezel is inexpensive if Iíd had to pay for it.
    Steve


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thatís great, was the watch still in warranty?

  34. #34
    Craftsman cf31bloobird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bridgend, South Wales
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    the bezel has been replaced free of charge and the watch awaits collection.
    That's a great service, bet you'll be glad to have it back looking 100% again .... result!

  35. #35
    Master Lammylee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Thatís great, was the watch still in warranty?
    The OP said 2014/15 was date of manufacture so the watch would have been out of warranty.

    Although this problem is a rare occurrence, as a fellow Pelagos owner itís good to know Tudor would sort it out if there was a problem.

  36. #36
    Master searat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Neath Valley, Wales and at sea..
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Thatís great, was the watch still in warranty?
    When I found the receipts & guarantee card turns out I bought it December 2014, so was definitely out of warranty.
    Good to see that Tudor/Rolex looked after me anyway :)
    Steve


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    When I found the receipts & guarantee card turns out I bought it December 2014, so was definitely out of warranty.
    Good to see that Tudor/Rolex looked after me anyway :)
    Steve


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thatís great. Well done Tudor.

  38. #38
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    Not the first time I see this, funny that BBBronze has issues when used in water too.
    Such as? Mine's doing just fine.

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Such as? Mine's doing just fine.
    galvanic corrosion

  40. #40
    Craftsman bedlam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Such as? Mine's doing just fine.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Could this be due to chlorine in swimming pools as opposed to water? I always wondered about brass, bronze and copper coming into contact with chemicals like that.

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  42. #42
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    4,042

    Pelagos bezel lume has fallen out

    Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    Could this be due to chlorine in swimming pools as opposed to water? I always wondered about brass, bronze and copper coming into contact with chemicals like that.

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Looks more like a reaction between the case bronze and the bezel. Not sure. Heavy patina tho 🤣

    Tz rating a conservative 7%

  43. #43
    Craftsman bedlam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    Could this be due to chlorine in swimming pools as opposed to water? I always wondered about brass, bronze and copper coming into contact with chemicals like that.

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    If different metals are touching and there is enough moisture it can happen without exposure to additional chemicals. Certainly sea water is more than sufficient.

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    Could this be due to chlorine in swimming pools as opposed to water? I always wondered about brass, bronze and copper coming into contact with chemicals like that.

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Bronze + Aluminum in contact = galvanic corrosion. Salt water probably acts as a catalyst.

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Bronze + Aluminum in contact = galvanic corrosion. Salt water probably acts as a catalyst.
    That's interesting to know, thanks. And presumably brass would be the same?

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    That's interesting to know, thanks. And presumably brass would be the same?

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'm not a metallurgist, I only took an intro materials class in college, so I'm not sure. I do know that Tudor claimed that their alloyed case material wouldn't suffer from this. The whole thing is a pretty huge failure IMO.

  47. #47
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    There's no way that happened in less than two years from just being exposed to salt water. No way. It looks like some dink tried to force patina by dumping it in some sort of chemistry. The strap looks like it's never even been wet. Shenanignans!

  48. #48
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    There's no way that happened in less than two years from just being exposed to salt water. No way.
    I canít comment on the strap but that picture looks like exactly like galvanic corrosion. If Iíve remembered my chemistry correctly a thin piece of aluminium placed flat against a copper based alloy and then put in water (especially sea water) creates the perfect conditions for galvanic corrosion. It doesnít need to include any acid or other obvious corrosive chemical. You have effectively created a battery and as metal ions flow from the aluminium anode to the bronze cathode the aluminium is destroyed.

    (I think Iíve got my cathodes and anodes the right way round).

  49. #49
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I canít comment on the strap but that picture looks like exactly like galvanic corrosion. If Iíve remembered my chemistry correctly a thin piece of aluminium placed flat against a copper based alloy and then put in water (especially sea water) creates the perfect conditions for galvanic corrosion. It doesnít need to include any acid or other obvious corrosive chemical. You have effectively created a battery and as metal ions flow from the aluminium anode to the bronze cathode the aluminium is destroyed.

    (I think Iíve got my cathodes and anodes the right way round).
    The bezel, like the case of the watch (except for the back which is stainless steel) is aluminized bronze. This material is highly corrosion resistant, and excellent for marine applications. It's especially popular with boat propellers. Look at the case-it's pretty much as messed up as the bezel insert. The insert itself is aluminum, and clearly far more susceptible to whatever the watch was exposed to. Your chemistry memories aside, I think Tudor probably tested the watch extensively in salt water before selling to the public. Pure bronze does have issues w/ salt water, but when alloyed with other metals (like aluminum) does quite well in the ocean.

  50. #50
    Master Papa Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Not Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Pure bronze
    Lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •