closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay seller stress

Craftsman

Ebay seller stress

Just sold a watch on Ebay, then the winner sends me an email saying

"Unfortunately I cannot proceed with the purchase of your watch as not sure what happened but the auto increase bid option appears to be far higher than I bid.
    Apologies but if you can please cancel this transaction"

He had the winning bid for several days so he would have seen his bid.

I can open an unpaid case against him in several days, Ebay says I will get credited the final value fee (but does that mean they have taken it off me already or I get their fee as a bonus for the hassle?)

I think I might try Chrono24 as the Ebay fees are extortionate

It just means they won't bill you for the final value fee. They won't give you money.

It’s not worth opening an unpaid against him. Just accept he’s had buyer’s remorse and cancel the sale.

It’s far less stressful that way and, ultimately, the outcome will be the same with there being less chance of you getting negative feedback.

Craftsman
    I've seen a number of watches get relisted on Ebay "due to timewasters", now I'm a victim :-)

Re Chrono24, I've just noticed you have to pay the listing fee upfront, that's a bit of a nailbiter if it doesnt sell :-)
    Last edited by mhurley; 16th April 2018 at 15:12.

Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    I've seen a number of watches get relisted on Ebay "due to timewasters", now I'm a victim :-)

Re Chrono24, I've just noticed you have to pay the listing fee upfront, that's a bit of a nailbiter if it doesnt sell :-)
    Yea that’s the main drawback (in terms of fees) to C24 in my experience. Not only if the watch doesn’t sell, but also if, after being listed for a few weeks, you change your mind and cancel the sale because you actually want to keep the watch. Happened to me once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    He said "If you can, cancel the transaction". Tell him you can’t. Tell him to take up the auto increase problem with eBay. If he still doesn’t pay, leave him bad feedback as a warning to others. He can’t leave you any bad feedback as you’ve done nothing wrong. These eBay time wasters need to be taught a lesson. Probably not the first time he’s tried that.

I had one the other week, buyer won the item and paid by PayPal then told me he had changed his mind and would I refund him. I did, but luckily I had listed the item on one of those £1 per listing promos, so just wrote it off to bad luck and time wasting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I seem to recall Chrono24 refund the fee after 6mths if it doesn't sell?

I've used C24 once and I'd do it again. Because most of the watches are at dealer rpices, anything priced sensible should sell. eBay has the convenience and no upfront going for it, but the disadvantages are starting to outweigh that

Edit: Yes, they do, it's still in their T&Cs. So if you want to back out, just hope nobody accepts your full price and wait 6 months :)
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 16th April 2018 at 15:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    He said "If you can, cancel the transaction". Tell him you can’t. Tell him to take up the auto increase problem with eBay. If he still doesn’t pay, leave him bad feedback as a warning to others. He can’t leave you any bad feedback as you’ve done nothing wrong. These eBay time wasters need to be taught a lesson. Probably not the first time he’s tried that.
    I thought you couldn’t leave bad feedback to buyers anymore on eBay?

Craftsman
    Defo!

I would sell here but haven't got the requisite posting count
    36mm full set Exp 1 anyone? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    I seem to recall Chrono24 refund the fee after 6mths if it doesn't sell?

Edit: Yes, they do, it's still in their T&Cs. So if you want to back out, just hope nobody accepts your full price and wait 6 months :)
    Yes you’re right - never got close enough to test that though, so no idea if it would be a straightforward refund or loads of hoops to go through to prove continued ownership.

When I changed my mind about the watch I had for sale, I didn’t want to leave it up and take the risk that someone would actually buy it. So I delisted, took it on the chin and blamed the vagaries of watch collecting.

Master
    Step 1, Cancel the sale, wait for him to accept the cancellation on his end and that's it, nothing more you can do. Try to do it with a smile and you'll get a positive feedback out of it - not worth getting upset over.

Step 2, Relist the watch. ebay might have higher fees than some, but it is still the best online marketplace I've found. Enormous market and chancers/timewasters are few and far between.

Only my 2p worth.

You can try to force him into completing the sale, and who knows he might even do it. Then you'll be a tenner out of pocket for the inevitable return in a weeks time. (I speak from experience)

You can’t do that; only the buyer can leave bad feedback. Just cancel the sale and move on; it really is the best thing to do.

If you can get it relisted today Ebay have a max £3.00 final fee offer until midnight today.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    If you can get it relisted today Ebay have a max £3.00 final fee offer until midnight today.

Yep, I've just cancelled the buyers transaction and readvertised :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    Yep, I've just cancelled the buyers transaction and readvertised :-)
    Hopefully all’s well that ends well. Good luck with the sale.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Hopefully all’s well that ends well. Good luck with the sale.

Master
    Annoying isn’t it! I’ve had it a few times with watches and it’s a real ball ache when it’s been running on a 10 day auction and the ‘buyer’ pulls out.

I’ve had it a couple of times where they’ve said “I accidentally bid” yeah ok.

The most annoying one was a bloke that (literally straight after winning) flat out said “cancel the sale, it went for too much money”. This was after placing the winning bid in the last few seconds!

The worst bit is that people think it’s something to do with me. When I relisted the last one someone on another forum accused me of bidding it up myself and posted saying that’s why it’s relisted!

And as a seller you can’t leave bad feedback either. Someone above said make him pay and leave bad feedback, well you can’t. eBay is so geared in favour of the buyer it’s unreal. If you tried to make him pay he’d just leave you bad feedback so it’s like a double kick in the nuts.

I sold an old digital watch once with no reserve & listed it’s only fault clearly in the ad (the backlight was dim) with its own clear paragraph. The winner got it and then tried asking for money off because the backlight was dim. When I pointed out it was clearly stated in the advert he left me bad feedback! What amazed me was eBay didn’t help me out and remove the feedback either. How can they get away with that when it was clearly listed in the description!

Good luck with the sale next time round. I hope the dead skin cells and general scurf on the bracelet don’t put too many buyers off as it’s a nice watch.

Anyone got any info on Luxury Watches of Hatton Garden? They charge more than Rolex for a service so they must be good.

Master
    Selling a Rolex on ebay, no wonder your stressed! I recommend contributing more to the forum and increasing your post count.

GLWTS.

Dave.

eBay is a fair representation of the state of the populace in this country. There are plenty of entitled nobodies who thinking nothing about anybody but themselves.

The best way to sell by far is on a buy-it-now requiring immediate payment. If you have already auctioned the item then you also have the opportunity to offer it to the 2nd highest bidder using 'second chance offer' from My eBay.

Auctions in my experience get plagued by idiots fairly regularly (zero/low feedback bidders are particularly problematic). I can only imagine the level of idiocy bidding on Rolexes there.

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    Selling a Rolex on ebay, no wonder your stressed! I recommend contributing more to the forum and increasing your post count.

GLWTS.

Dave.

I think he had that sussed at the first post - but with the refinement of managing it without waiting.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I think he had that sussed at the first post - but with the refinement of managing it without waiting.....
    On reflection,that was a pointless post wasn’t it? Sorry.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    eBay is a fair representation of the state of the populace in this country. There are plenty of entitled nobodies who thinking nothing about anybody but themselves.

The best way to sell by far is on a buy-it-now requiring immediate payment. If you have already auctioned the item then you also have the opportunity to offer it to the 2nd highest bidder using 'second chance offer' from My eBay.

Auctions in my experience get plagued by idiots fairly regularly (zero/low feedback bidders are particularly problematic). I can only imagine the level of idiocy bidding on Rolexes there.
    Trouble with BIN is I can put a watch for (say) £150 which could be way below everyone else’s and it’ll still sit there for ten days. I’ve often had stuff on BIN and then swapped it to an auction and it goes for loads more than the BIN price was. I think people see it as an option sat there and don’t rush to buy. Also they probably think they’re going to get one at auction for £5 like some people still do with eBay?

I’ve also tried the second chance offer to 2nd place and I’ve never had it taken up! Why, I’m sure they think it’s something to do with the seller having it bid up themselves and trying to get as much as possible so they are reluctant.

But you’re right that auctions attract idiots. I usually tend to ignore questions (well silly ones) until the watch has got over a certain price and the dipsticks drop away along with the silly questions.

I just wish eBay would give the sellers more clout as generally the buyers hold all the cards. Even as a private seller you’re stuffed if some numpty wants to keep your watch for 29 days, break it and start a return!
    Last edited by jameswrx; 17th April 2018 at 11:50.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I’ve also tried the second chance offer to 2nd place and I’ve never had it taken up! Why, I’m sure they think it’s something to do with the seller having it bid up themselves and trying to get as much as possible so they are reluctant.
    I sold my first watch on eBay yesterday, and straight away the guy messaged saying it was a mistaken bid!

I asked the second guy if he’d like it at his last bid and he was fine so sent him the second chance offer and I’ve just stuck it in the post to him. So fingers crossed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    I sold my first watch on eBay yesterday, and straight away the guy messaged saying it was a mistaken bid!

I asked the second guy if he’d like it at his last bid and he was fine so sent him the second chance offer and I’ve just stuck it in the post to him. So fingers crossed.
    That’s a result in the end but the ‘winning bidder’ needs a slap round the head!

What eBay should do is a 3 strike and you’re out for this kind of thing. What is going on with these idiots?! How can you accidentally bid and win an auction! It even asks you to confirm after you enter the amount, absolute numpties!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Trouble with BIN is I can put a watch for (say) £150 which could be way below everyone else’s and it’ll still sit there for ten days. I’ve often had stuff on BIN and then swapped it to an auction and it goes for loads more than the BIN price was. I think people see it as an option sat there and don’t rush to buy. Also they probably think they’re going to get one at auction for £5 like some people still do with eBay?
    There is an option to allow a buyer to Make an Offer on your BIN ad. This gives people a chance to act more quickly, negotiate with the seller and perhaps strike a deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm AFRAID ebay is full with WALLY BUYERS, just had a clown leave -ve feedback on a £3 o ring, HE READ THE DESCRIPTION WRONG, so i'm now 99.6% feedback, I made sure to leave him feedback "Clueless T T!"
    Last edited by Bry1975; 17th April 2018 at 23:33.

Master

Offers!!

I’ve had offers that I’ve accepted only for the buyer to pull out loads over the 15years I’ve done eBay !! I’ve taken to doing a counter offer of the same amount if it’s enough and in the comments section state, “if you accept this it’s to buy it not change your mind??”
    I also explain that others have wasted my time by making offers and not realising it’s a real auction and transaction so are gobsmacked when an invoice comes through?!? The other one is asking random questions after an offer?!?!?!?!?!?! Surely you ask all the questions first ?? You don’t make an offer on a car then have a look and ask questions do you????

There are still plenty of decent folk on eBay but I try to get into a conversation now and make sure to buy into the seller or buyer every time! If I have any feelings of problems I relist the item, it’s pissed a few so called genuine buyers off but like I said after 15 years of dealing with some right dipsticks on there I’ve had enough! Dear god just realised I sound like my old man, I am officially a miserable old bastard ;-)

Chris
    Last edited by subchris; 17th April 2018 at 22:44.