closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cooking a rib of beef

Blog Entries

Cooking a rib of beef

Hi…. Getting conflicting advice via Google (never helpful)

Any top tips on what to do with this?

It weighs 61b or 2 3/4kg

Butcher said 20 mins @ 200 and then 1hr 30 at 180

Rest for at least 20 mins (foil on or off?)

Should I roast bone down?

Other sites are saying 50 mins!!!

I want the medium side of medium rare (cater for all pallets)

Ben

For a joint like that I would do the following..
    Half hour at 220c. Open the oven door to reduce temp quickly, then 23 min per kg at 160c. Rest for at least 30 min (baking paper is better than foil for this). Definitely keep it on the bone when you cook it, this will help the heat evenly pass through the joint. Enjoy.
    J

Master
    Id probably seal in in a smoking hot pan before roasting and let it rest for at least 30 mins

Master
    I’d probably seal it as well.

The key is in the resting - it’s hard to rest it as long as you should due to temptation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    Half hour at 220c. Open the oven door to reduce temp quickly, then 23 min per kg at 160c. Rest for at least 30 min (baking paper is better than foil for this). Definitely keep it on the bone when you cook it, this will help the heat evenly pass through the joint. Enjoy.
    J
    Ok... that’s very specific, so, looks like the way to go - thank you!

What way up do I roast it in the pan?

Quote Originally Posted by dl_griff View Post
    Id probably seal in in a smoking hot pan before roasting and let it rest for at least 30 mins
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’d probably seal it as well.

The key is in the resting - it’s hard to rest it as long as you should due to temptation.
    Long resting - got that

I don’t have a pan big enough to seal, so, will go with the initial blast option!

J
    This

You can moist where it seats with some potatoes carrots etc and some water
    You can also marinate it
    Dont take out the bone

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Ok... that’s very specific, so, looks like the way to go - thank you!

What way up do I roast it in the pan?

Long resting - got that

I don’t have a pan big enough to seal, so, will go with the initial blast option!
    in your biggest frying pan, little bit of oil and seal it for a minute or so on all sides until it goes a nice dark caramel colour, open the doors and windows, it will smoke

Blog Entries
    in your biggest frying pan, little bit of oil and seal it for a minute or so on all sides until it goes a nice dark caramel colour, open the doors and windows, it will smoke
    Ok... if I go with the pan sealing bit, do I still cook @ 220 for 30 mins? Although not sure if it’ll fit in one of my bigger pans?

What we up does it go in the roasting pan when putting it in the oven?

Master
    Ok... if I go with the pan sealing bit, do I still cook @ 220 for 30 mins? Although not sure if it’ll fit in one of my bigger pans?

What we up does it go in the roasting pan when putting it in the oven?
    it wont really effect time cooking, mayne 5 to 10 mins

I tend to sit it upright with the flattest bone resting on the bottom of the pan, this will protect the meat and allow it to cook evenly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cote de boeuf - for that size joint, 6/7 hours at 55c, or the lowest your oven will go, remove from oven once centre of joint has reached that temperature. Then pan fry each side for 4 mins. Add a flavoured butter toward end of cooking. Thank Tom Kerridge, not me.
    Last edited by Skyman; 15th April 2018 at 11:34.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Always cook it with the fat side up, that way all the flavour soaks through the meat. Its the best beef joint by far, and one my late father in laws favourites and I would bow to his judgement as he was a butcher.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Always cook it with the fat side up, that way all the flavour soaks through the meat. Its the best beef joint by far, and one my late father in laws favourites and I would bow to his judgement as he was a butcher.
    Its our favourite joint, usually have it for Christmas.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    it wont really effect time cooking, mayne 5 to 10 mins

I tend to sit it upright with the flattest bone resting on the bottom of the pan, this will protect the meat and allow it to cook evenly
    Ta... so will pan seal (if I can) then use the method set out by Jardine22 above

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Cote de boeuf - for that size joint, 6/7 hours at 55c, or the lowest your oven will go, remove from oven once centre of joint has reached that temperature. Then pan fry each side for 4 mins. Add a flavoured butter toward end of cooking. Thank Tom Kerridge, not me.
    Maybe next time!

Perfect... will do that

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Its our favourite joint, usually have it for Christmas.
    Every day is Xmas in the Wolf household!

Thanks TZ... very useful information all round!

As hot as the oven will go for twenty minutes then 15 mins per pound, then let it stand for at least 30 mins
    Last edited by adrianw; 15th April 2018 at 12:53.

Craftsman
    Cooking it is the easy bit. Wait until you try to carve it. I’d get googling that now if I were you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    As hot as the oven will go for twenty minutes then 15 mins per pound, then let it stand for at least 30 mins
    I'd go with this.

I heard 'sealing' meat is nonsense and it's more to do with getting smells/aroma in the kitchen .

Master
    Buying a meat thermometer was a good move- takes all the guess work out of it by measuring the internal temp.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/70698/Pol...180415130721:s

Blog Entries
    Looks a fantastic lump Ben, if it’s close to this last week in Florence you will a good feed

Enjoy.

You should buy a thermometer.

A decent digital one costs a fraction of that piece of meat and ensures you get it done perfectly every time.

Master

Cooking a rib of beef

Jardine had it right, and also cook closer to medium than you’d think as the fats won’t render well otherwise. Use a wireless meat probe and one of the most relaxing cuts out there.

Just the cost stops me doing it every week as we live it as a family. Last 3kg joint was about Ł60 half price....ouch!!

I’d say the above photos weren’t cooked high enough, meat is a great colour and where I’d go with my steak, but the fats are not cooked fully. Yes, I know this is a restaurant vs my cooking but I’ve been well trained in my time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Interesting reading, I've never cooked anything that large.
    If as said, must leave to rest for 30 mins, it won't still retain heat surely, so how is it served?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    If as said, must leave to rest for 30 mins, it won't still retain heat surely, so how is it served?
    Wrapped loosely with foil and you will be amazed at latent heat within. I take if out of the oven about 3-5C before optimum temp as stick continues to cook.

Same with pulled pork on the smoker. Can gain another 5-10C after removed from the heat and resting. I can still burn myself on the fat an hour after removing a pork butt from the smoker after it’s been resting. Was a bit of a shock first time.

Agree though, if you took a small piece of meat of a chicken breast out and left it for 30 mins would be cold.

Cooking a rib of beef

Pulled pork on very slow temp for 7-8 hours

Last edited by raptor; 15th April 2018 at 16:14.

Master
    you'd be amazed, a layer of foil and then a tea towel and it will be piping hot for well over and hour

Craftsman
    Thanks both. Looks like saving up for a big un then

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I'd go with this.

I heard 'sealing' meat is nonsense and it's more to do with getting smells/aroma in the kitchen .
    It's true sealing doesn't seal anything, but frying meat in the pan is an excellent way of getting the flavour from the Maillard reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I'd go with this.

Not "smells/aroma in the kitchen" but the flavour and aroma, ie the taste, of the finished roast. See Maillard reaction and searing.

Cooking a rib of beef

Craftsman
    If you don’t have a pan big enough try putting under oven grill at high heat once it’s oiled this will seal it nicely but make sure it doesn’t burn of course !

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have never used any thermometer or anything, use your instinct. I cooked a 4lb leg of lamb at Easter loads of garlic and Rosemary infused into the meat. All I do is cook slow for 2 hrs covered on a low heat then fast on 200c for three quarters of an hour, never fails.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A decent sized joint will stay hot for a long time once loosely covered in foil. As a rule of thumb, one third of cooking happens once the meat's off the heat.

Don't forget a lovely red wine jus. I use this based on a Gordon Ramsey recipe that I've tweaked with. The amount of wine and stock can be adjusted depending on how much you want. Also depending on your desired end flavour I use Masarla wine for a bit more fruity rounded flavour in combination with the red wine and port.

8 3/4 oz shallots, sliced
    4 tbsp rapeseed oil
    1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
    sprig rosemary.
    bayleaf
    5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 cup red wine (one you have with the meal is best)
    1 cup of port
    1 cup beef stock or brown chicken stock, preferably homemade
    equal parts butter and flour combined (Beurre manié) for thickening the jus (about a 2 teaspoon of each)

Slice the shallots and sautée in the oil over a low heat until soft but not coloured.
    Add the garlic and rosemary sprig and heat for a minute.
    Add the balsamic vinegar, turm up the heat and reduce the vinegar to a syrup consistency but don't let it burn.
    Add the bay leaf, red wine / port / marsala and continue to reduce by about half.
    Add beef stock and reduce to your desired amount.
    When you got your desired amount add the beurre manie and whisk it in. This will thicken and add a shine to your jus.
    Season to taste, you may not need salt if you've used salted butter
    You can pass this through a fine seive if you want a smooth jus or just leave as is for something a bit more "rustic".

As for your beef as others have said, get a remote thermometer. Put your roasting pan on the hob with some oil and knob of butter. season the beef well on all sides. When steaming hot sear off all sides of the beef until you have a lovely colour. Set your oven to your desired "doness" temp if possible, if not then gas mark 1-2. Put the meat thermometer in and keep an eye on it till its close to your desired temp. I roast with a couple of sprigs rosemary and smashed garlic cloves in the pan. Low and slow would be good for this. Take it out and rest it under foil for as long as possible but at least 30 min. Don't worry about it being cold. You can put any pan juices into your jus but try to skim off any fats that settle on the surface of the jus before serving.

I have never used any thermometer or anything, use your instinct. I cooked a 4lb leg of lamb at Easter loads of garlic and Rosemary infused into the meat. All I do is cook slow for 2 hrs covered on a low heat then fast on 200c for three quarters of an hour, never fails.
    Sure, if you can tolerate over cooked meat, that's a great idea. The 3/4 of an hour at 200 would have probably cooked it without needing the previous 2 hours of stewing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    You should buy a thermometer.

A decent digital one costs a fraction of that piece of meat and ensures you get it done perfectly every time.
    I have a thermometer…. Use that for the bbq…. But, I guess it should apply to this too!

So, I used the method set out by Jardine (thanks again)…. To the minute I might add

Handed over carving duties to the senior Wolf (I know when to defer on such things!)

And had one of the tenderest, moist and succulent cuts of beef I’ve ever enjoyed

No pre sealing involved…. As it seemed like a faff!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fine work!

Craftsman
    I have a thermometer…. Use that for the bbq…. But, I guess it should apply to this too!

So, I used the method set out by Jardine (thanks again)…. To the minute I might add

Handed over carving duties to the senior Wolf (I know when to defer on such things!)

And had one of the tenderest, moist and succulent cuts of beef I’ve ever enjoyed

No pre sealing involved…. As it seemed like a faff!

Awesome. My favourite roasting cut of beef. Shame it is so pricey.

Yes, the high initial blast acts as a sealer. I tend to do that (plus many top chef recipes). I like it as it gives a nice crust against the medium rare meat.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Looks fantastic Ben.

Blog Entries
    Thanks…. Yes, it has a nice deep crust around it using the blast method!

Paul…. Yours looks ace too!!!

That looks spot on, any left over for a cold roast beef sarnie? Always a good supper the day after a roast. Glad it worked out.
    J

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glad we didn't have to wait a long time see the results from this thread - it looks fantastic ☺

Master
    Looks great, well done sir! Always an expensive cut to screw up but with proper timing and patience it always comes out great.

I’ve had a pork butt in the Egg since the very early hours this morning, looking forward to it - only opened the lid for the photo!

IMG_0238.JPG

I'm bloody hungry now!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    And forgot how rubbish TZ app is for photos again. Need to read up on a solution.

Reality is, it’s 2.5kg of pork smoked for what is currently 10hrs, versus it looking like a crap bit of nothingness.

Blog Entries
    That looks spot on, any left over for a cold roast beef sarnie? Always a good supper the day after a roast. Glad it worked out.
    J
    Thanks again... sent the various parents and in laws away with a goody bag for cold roast beef sarnies! I am travelling today and tomorrow, so, no further treat for me!

I’m so glad I didn’t screw it up!