timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman ? : Discuss

Master

Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman ? : Discuss

Hello

Swiss army knife or Leatherman .

I have both . Swiss Champ and Leatherman Ti . I carry both of them with me but I have to say I usually have the swiss army knife and regard the Leatherman as my back up.

Reasons why I prefer the Swiss.

It takes a sharper edge generally on all the blades compared with the Leatherman. I can get it razor sharp quite quickly whilst the Leatherman takes a lot of work to get sharp.

Tools are much more usuable on the SAK than the Leatherman.

The SAK ( although its quite big) is just easier to carry in a pocket . I think Victorinox got this bit absolutely correct. The Leatherman is not something I want to carry about unless its on my utility belt like batman.

I use the tweezers on the SAK more often than anything! And they are damn good.

Lanyard : I have a small maglite hanging off the SAK.

The Leatherman gets used for putting furniture together as its got a better screwdriver.

I could lose the Leatherman ( actually I have once) . The SAK I've had for over 25 years and just replace the toothpick and pen occasionally.

Discuss....

Master
    Swiss stays in the car for emergencies, and a PS4 squirt is on my keys.

Leatherman Wave used to go in my bag, but it’s been replaced by the mighty squirt.

Tbh they only ever get used for opening parcels, but one day they may save a life, or help in an emergency.

Wave when I might need the pliers, 4 layer sak in pocket, Swisschamp in man bag with Lansky sharpener.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Leatherman Wave for me. Always to hand when I need to a can of stewing steak.

Master

Cool

I have both,leatherman stays at home and SAK is useful pocket knife.Based mainly on weight rather than legal obligations.

I have the Crunch, and a Sog, the latter having the cool power pliers.

LM have an excellent warranty. I opened my KF4 and it fell into pieces in my hands. Sent it back and got a new replacement. No faffing about proving purchase or anything.

Never had any of the Swisstool stuff, but often looked at it.

SAK for me. I just find the things so useful (my EDC is the Mechanic - not often seen in the UK). However I have others & they are all excellent.

I have a Leatherman but apart from the pliers (which are beefier) I much prefer the SAK, it's small convenient, lighter & for me just more useful.

I feel lost without a SAK in my bag.

Craftsman
    Given that most leathermans have a locking blade and you need to show good reason to carry one, I’ll stick to my oldschool Swiss Army knife which has mastered all jobs thrown at it so far... 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Given that most leathermans have a locking blade and you need to show good reason to carry one, I’ll stick to my oldschool Swiss Army knife which has mastered all jobs thrown at it so far... 
    +1

Craftsman
    I keep a SAK in my pocket at all times (either my Alox Cadet or sportsman), keep a Leatherman Skeletool in my bag (just in case) or i carry my Wave if I'm doing jobs round the house.
    The SAKs are so handy to have on you at all times and as said before, very UK legal.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I keep a SAK in my pocket at all times (either my Alox Cadet or sportsman), keep a Leatherman Skeletool in my bag (just in case) or i carry my Wave if I'm doing jobs round the house.
    The SAKs are so handy to have on you at all times and as said before, very UK legal.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Leatherman as usual tool and Webber Minathor for watches

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SAK every time.

I have lost count of how many I have but the ones that are with me every day (other than when flying) are either the Executive or a Bantam Alox. The latter you can still pick up on Amazon for 5p under £19, which seems incredibly good value. Both are discrete, tactile and just plain useful to have around.

I do have a Leatherman (Charge TTi) but it is only brought out when really needed.

SAK for me every time. I have a Leatherman micro which is pretty useful, and a regular leatherman which lives under the motorbike seat as a tool. Also have several SAK which tend to get rotated. The Minichamp is a particular favourite because you forget it's there until you need it. Swisschamp is also good and I have a few alox which are nice and slim. As has been stated they hold a very nice edge.

Craftsman
    I have been carrying the same SAK I found on a beach in Italy well over 25 years ago; like a Spartan but without the tweezers and toothpick. Used extensively throughout three fixer upper houses in conjunction with a leatherman wave. SAK wins on all round usability though.

For me, it would be a simple question of, do you need pliers?

SAK sucks as a hammer, so LM for moi.

Journeyman
    im surprised at the love for sak on here, never had one cos i thought leathermans were better. always thought leathermans were more portable and neater and seriously more robust.

but after reading this thread, maybe im wrong.

Had a SAK cyber tool for 17 years now! Needs a service to repair the broken scissors spring and its a bit stiff to open now too. Love it's flip out screwdriver with interchangeable bits.

I have 4 SAKs. One in the car (tinker); a Handyman at home hanging on a hook for real-life and everyday uses; a Waiter in the kitchen in the drinks cupboard, and a small classic on my keys.
    I use them all. I had a LM and gave it to my father-in-law. Says it all really.

Master
    I suspect I'll be sending my old SAK girl off for a refurb. All still works but a bit worn now after 25 years , the spring for the scissors I replaced myself a few years back but it was quite tough to get in ( funnily enough I had to use my leatherman to force it in and a bit of cyano to lock it in place).

I wonder if they will just give me a new one rather than repair it , its been through thick and thin with me but it is just a SAK at the end of the day . Not sure I feel any real emotional attachment to it beyond its functionality. Was a gift from my ex-wife before she was my ex-wife so its maybe time for it to go bye bye.

Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman ? : Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Had a SAK cyber tool for 17 years now! Needs a service to repair the broken scissors spring and its a bit stiff to open now too. Love it's flip out screwdriver with interchangeable bits.
    Guaranteed for life, well the pocket knives are, I had a battered Fisherman replaced FoC.

Anyway, I use the Huntsman as I use the wood saw and scissors.

I also have a number of vintage SAKs and the 125 anniversary original army knife that has never been used. Why do I have these? I haven’t a clue, they are in a box in a drawer.

Also have an LM Wave which I keep at home, vehicle or tool box as needed as the blade locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leatherman’s UK distributor will honour the lifetime guarantee, no questions asked, and will exchange your faulty/broken tool for a new one (but I don’t think they do repairs).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I've had my Leatherman Wave (can't remember which exact model) since 2004. Haven't looked after it particularly well but it still functions completely satisfactorily. Would definitely recommend, presuming their quality is consistent with how they were built 15 years ago!

Master
    I’ve got both a SAK, Climber, and an original Leatherman PST.

Use the SAK far more often and the Leatherman is now kept in the house, mainly because of the lockblade.

Have a spare Climber in my fishing tackle box as its just so useful for this hobby.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I’ve got both a SAK, Climber, and an original Leatherman PST.

Use the SAK far more often and the Leatherman is now kept in the house, mainly because of the lockblade.

Have a spare Climber in my fishing tackle box as its just so useful for this hobby.

Original PST doesent have a lock blade.

Craftsman
    Is the legal carry thing really an issue? I’ve got one of the larger SAKs and its got a locking blade and is a fraction too long for EDC. But I’ve reached 50 without ever being stopped by the police never mind searched.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    SAK in my fishing kit and Leatherman in my SCUBA kit. Both are good at what they do for a variety of reasons. It could simply be that I have been fishing longer and got the SAK first. I do concur, the SAK blade is easier to get razor sharp.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I'm a big fan of both, regularly having a SAK in a pocket but the recent acquisition of a Leatherman Skeletool has seen this taking centre stage, what an excellent bit of kit.
    Whilst it doesn't have the versatility of some of the bigger models, what it does, it does well.
    This outfit was the cheapest I could find and their service was good.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/leatherman...f=search_prv_5

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Leatherman’s UK distributor will honour the lifetime guarantee, no questions asked, and will exchange your faulty/broken tool for a new one (but I don’t think they do repairs).
    They do.

My Leatherman had a broken file, I sent it back and they replaced the file, sharpened the blade etc FOC.

Great service, and one reason I prefer a Leatherman over a SAK.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I keep a SAK in my pocket at all times (either my Alox Cadet

Another vote for the Alox Cadet as my EDC

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Victorinox and Leatherman for me, both in terms of being dual EDCs (Explorer and PS4) then plus a primary, rather more exciting pocketknife.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
    im surprised at the love for sak on here, never had one cos i thought leathermans were better. always thought leathermans were more portable and neater and seriously more robust.

but after reading this thread, maybe im wrong.
    SAK are much more portable, so I carry a small one all the time, but doing jobs around the house, caravan and dinghy I use my Leatherman Wave

Have both, but gradually moving over to Leatherman. My Style (like a mini Skeletool) has usurped my mini SAK for desktop/pocket EDC use, its built in karabiner and bottle opener are incredibly useful, and I find its nail file and scissors better than SAK. I have the blade less model which is handy if you’re going to be going through search or security (e.g travel), I got mine through security during a school holiday visit to Scottish Parliament yesterday.

I also have Juice CS4 which is probably best all rounder and blade is non-locking, plus a Wave (and bit kit) for car/garden use.

I have a number of SAK
    Prefer the Alox ones from victorinox or the red anodised ones from Wenger( haven’t seen these for a while now...)
    I think the two brands are now merged
    Can’t go too far wrong with the pioneer alox imho
    If it’s purely a penknife you need, look to Friedrich Hartkopf for some serious quality for the prices

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    If it’s purely a penknife you need, look to Friedrich Hartkopf for some serious quality for the prices
    Thanks for this, as I hadn't seen them before.

Moonraker Knives apparently stock them: http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/hartkopf.html

Fairly typically, I really like the look of the "Roe Antler" and the "Snakewood/Rose Damascus"!

Good link
    I have the little £34 black one and a slightly larger stag horn one
    They’re really good things without all the hype and ,dare I say the more modern tactical look.

Master
    I can’t remember the model name of my main SAK, but the pliers, blade and scissors get endless amount of use. The small blade has been my case back opener for years, when changing batteries on my wife’s watches. Even the saw blade has been useful. I have a smaller sak in my yard coat at the stables and I recently bought one on SC with a proper caseback blade.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=Renata

My only leatherman is a squirt with scissors as the main tool, I think the pliers version would be more versatile but I have never got round to picking one up.

Dave
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 13th April 2018 at 13:13.

Thought it best to revive this thread rather than start another. Looking for my first real quality multi tool to be used mainly in garden and on regular family camping holidays. I’ve just looked at the leatherman wave + and really liked this. But I can see that SAK are getting a lot of love here. For camping and garden what brand/model would you recommend?

leatherman, simply for the quality of their aftersales care in the uk.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Yes, what he said

I use the Wave for garden and home, has both saw and serrated blades, handy for bush/tree and weeding work. Also has pry bar, multiple screwdrivers (which can be supplemented with bit kit) and the pliers are more than decent. I find it easier to have it handy, rather than having to faff about in toolbox in garage for quick jobs.

Also just had great experience with Leatherman UK with my Style. File locking failed, so they replaced it with a new one, no questions asked.

I've had the same swiss army knife for the last 20 or so years and it's still looking pretty respectable. I can't say I use it in anger every day, but I like knowing it's available and has the tools I want to hand. I can't say I've ever thought I'd need pliers regularly so a leatherman is overkill for me.

I've had a squirt ps4 for years.
    truly pocket size ( have mine on my keyring) and exceptionally useful.
    recently i noticed the spring clip on the scissors was missing - they sent me a new replacement foc , no quibble.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Most have locking blades,though the Knifeless rebars a good tool.
    I think leathemans superior in tool selection and use,not some of the new designs.
    I don’t carry one on me much nowadays because of the weight, I find a SAK does most of what I need.

The other day I had a go at modifying for the first time.
    I removed the locking blades on my Wave,it also made it slimmer.
    I decided to put a backdoor key on instead as when I leave the house on my bike that’s the way I go.
    It’s going into my under seat tool kit.

I filed it down using a super tool 200 file which I have to say is very good,as is the whole tool but it’s heavy to carry around and blades lock.
    This or the original super tool is excellent to keep in your tool shed

Have a look at the Swisstool. I’ve used a Leatherman for years, and currently favour a Charge Tti, but the Swisstool is beautifully finished by comparison. The quality shines through.

Thanks for the quick responses. I ended up with the leatherman wave plus. Ended up with a good deal I think on price too. Got it new for £83. With a price match plus 10% offer!

Master
    I’ve an original PST which is on my belt pretty much all the time I’m not suited and booted for work.
    I have another original PST which I used to live in the bottom of my work bag, but which now spends most of its time at home on the dresser as I fly /Eurostar once a week these days.
    I also have a third original PST which I have in case I lose one of the others. To my mind it is the perfect size. Small enough not to be a nuisance but big enough for everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Most have locking blades,though the Knifeless rebars a good tool.
    I think leathemans superior in tool selection and use,not some of the new designs.
    I don’t carry one on me much nowadays because of the weight, I find a SAK does most of what I need.

The other day I had a go at modifying for the first time.
    I removed the locking blades on my Wave,it also made it slimmer.
    I decided to put a backdoor key on instead as when I leave the house on my bike that’s the way I go.
    It’s going into my under seat tool kit.

I filed it down using a super tool 200 file which I have to say is very good,as is the whole tool but it’s heavy to carry around and blades lock.
    This or the original super tool is excellent to keep in your tool shed
    Not only ingenious but beautifully executed - nice job!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Not only ingenious but beautifully executed - nice job!
    Thank you I can’t claim the idea as mine though.
    It’s relatively easy on tools that have the torx looking screws,the super tool and others are held together differently.
    FYI the wave is the most popular tool of all time.

Master
    If you have a need for pliers there is just one choice, Leatherman. If you want a real knife, neither. Better take a dedicated knife (EDC compliant I guess in the UK, thus a slipjoint under 3 inches) and a multitool. Here in France one can carry a Laguiole or Opinel almost everywhere without freaking out the police, so it's a bit easier. I carry a Laguiole on my belt on on side and a Leatherman Rebar on the other, in a horizontal-carry sheath. The Rebar as it has no one-handed opening blades accessible from the outside - those the police do freak out about. But all the tools and blades lock, it has good pliers, hardened wire cutters, a sawblade (some SAKs have these too, and both truly work) and the usual complement of screwdrivers and openers etc. I use the pliers a lot, they are just great extra 'fingers' for all sorts of things you want to grab. For useable scissors and tweezers, a Leatherman Micra or a Squirt S4 will do.