closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman ? : Discuss

Master
    If you have a need for pliers there is just one choice, Leatherman. If you want a real knife, neither. Better take a dedicated knife (EDC compliant I guess in the UK, thus a slipjoint under 3 inches) and a multitool. Here in France one can carry a Laguiole or Opinel almost everywhere without freaking out the police, so it's a bit easier. I carry a Laguiole on my belt on on side and a Leatherman Rebar on the other, in a horizontal-carry sheath. The Rebar as it has no one-handed opening blades accessible from the outside - those the police do freak out about. But all the tools and blades lock, it has good pliers, hardened wire cutters, a sawblade (some SAKs have these too, and both truly work) and the usual complement of screwdrivers and openers etc. I use the pliers a lot, they are just great extra 'fingers' for all sorts of things you want to grab. For useable scissors and tweezers, a Leatherman Micra or a Squirt S4 will do.
    Great mod of that Wave with the key !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks,I tried and failed to get jigsaw blades to fit in the bits holder after filing them down [to thin and not enough grip for a saw action].
    I am trying to find an awl to fit on the outside,I have one from a sack but there isn’t enough metal to drill a hole.

First time I’ve had a house and therefore a shed,the bench and vice I added make life easier [i really enjoy doing small jobs].

I cut down some rubber vice grips to fit then started on the jig saw blades.

Well one week in and I am already back on the look out. The wave + is great and I love it. But, for day to day pocket use I feel I need another lighter option. So,SAK Or a smaller Leatherman? Cautious on the leatherman as it will be a pocket item.. and I’m uncomfortable on the locking blade...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirt PS4

Like i said, if it's heavy you won't use it for daily carry.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Well one week in and I am already back on the look out. The wave + is great and I love it. But, for day to day pocket use I feel I need another lighter option. So,SAK Or a smaller Leatherman? Cautious on the leatherman as it will be a pocket item.. and I’m uncomfortable on the locking blade...

Your walking around with a locking blade?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Your walking around with a locking blade?
    No, I bought the leatherman wave + which is perfect for the jobs I bought it for but it isn’t a day to day carrying tool. Which is now what I need too. So I am looking for one. I know the SAKs are ok legally. I love the Squirt but I am aware they have locking blades so am unsure as to using it day to day with uk law

Master
    Blog Entries
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...=2UYKPQQ6ZV7WN

Farmer
    Pioneer
    Or X

if you want more than a blade
    I bought a pioneer and cut the key ring off

I really wouldn't sweat the 'UK Legal carry thing with Leatherman tools. As long as you are sensible with it and you don't take it to pubs or clubs you'd be fine. It would have to be a pedantic cop to do anything about a Leatherman. There are however options if it really really does bother you. Medium sized tools like the Juice have non locking blades but for anything larger you'll have to look at retired tools. Pocket Survival Tools (PST or PST2) have non locking blades, so does the Sideclip (don't confuse with 'Sidekick') the Kick and more rare tools such as the Flair. There are also options without a blade altogether such as the Bladeless Fuse and Bladeless Rebar.

In the SAK Vs LM debate I prefer LM (surprise, surprise). I have nothing against the SAK but I find the LM suits my needs, the pliers/cutters have so many different applications.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Thought it best to revive this thread rather than start another. Looking for my first real quality multi tool to be used mainly in garden and on regular family camping holidays. I’ve just looked at the leatherman wave + and really liked this. But I can see that SAK are getting a lot of love here. For camping and garden what brand/model would you recommend?

I use one of these in the garden. Sadly it’s been discontinued by Leatherman.

https://www.leatherman.com/hybrid-100.html

No, I bought the leatherman wave + which is perfect for the jobs I bought it for but it isn’t a day to day carrying tool. Which is now what I need too. So I am looking for one. I know the SAKs are ok legally. I love the Squirt but I am aware they have locking blades so am unsure as to using it day to day with uk law

What makes you say the squirt has a locking blade?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
    I really wouldn't sweat the 'UK Legal carry thing with Leatherman tools. As long as you are sensible with it and you don't take it to pubs or clubs you'd be fine. It would have to be a pedantic cop to do anything about a Leatherman. There are however options if it really really does bother you. Medium sized tools like the Juice have non locking blades but for anything larger you'll have to look at retired tools. Pocket Survival Tools (PST or PST2) have non locking blades, so does the Sideclip (don't confuse with 'Sidekick') the Kick and more rare tools such as the Flair. There are also options without a blade altogether such as the Bladeless Fuse and Bladeless Rebar.

In the SAK Vs LM debate I prefer LM (surprise, surprise). I have nothing against the SAK but I find the LM suits my needs, the pliers/cutters have so many different applications.

I think this is very bad advice especially with a wave.
    I love the way the blades open and lock but took them off for a very good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    What makes you say the squirt has a locking blade?
    According to the leatherman site the only none locking ranges are juice and micra. Do you have a squirt?

According to the leatherman site the only none locking ranges are juice and micra. Do you have a squirt?

yes, I've had one for years

I have an original PST, a Wave, a Charge Ti and a Micra. The Micra is the most used and is on my keyring with my house keys. The Wave is very good, but the bearings on the Charge are much better and the blades open/close one handed much more easily than the Wave. I use the Wave for dirty rough stuff (it was on my belt during my time in the Fire Service), the Charge is nice and clean and for hols and picnics etc. I keep the PST for old times sake, it's a classic. I only carry the Wave or Charge if I know I'll need them have no problem carrying either locking tool en route to use.
    F.T.F.A.

Bad advice? Why?
    I think this is very bad advice especially with a wave.
    I love the way the blades open and lock but took them off for a very good reason.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bad advice? Why?

It’s against the law

I have a Juice S2 and a Style PS as well as my Wave for EDC purposes. Juice has a blade mechanism identical to SAK, so legal carry. Style has no blade, but great pliers, file, tweezers scissors and screwdriver as well as very handy karabiner clip which doubles as bottle opener and make clipping onto keys, belt loops etc a cinch. Latter very handy for scenarios like air travel, footy games etc where you would get anything with a blade confiscated. Juice brilliant as an inbetween size, great pliers and scissors, you can also get an adapter for bit kits etc. Not as handy overall as a Wave (no file, saw or serrated blade) but very very good.

It’s against the law
    Really? Ok, each to their own but I have never been stopped and searched. I don't know of anyone who has either. I've seen carpenters and carpet fitters wandering around Asda with knives hanging off their belts. I've spent a long time involved in the Military and Bushcraft with machete, axe and big knives and never come a cropper but you are going to have a sickie fit about a Wave because it's blade locks?

In reality if you are sensible and use it appropriately it really should not be an issue. If on the other hand I produce it at a barbeque to slice some lemon up for a G&T or pop the top off a bottle, are you going to gather the wife and kids up and usher them off the premises because I am breaking the law?

If you interpret the law like that and cannot apply some common sense then yeah, stick to SAKs.

I often used to walk around with an opinel with me. Never had any problems. Apparently they aren't uk legal. I didn't know.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really? Ok, each to their own but I have never been stopped and searched. I don't know of anyone who has either. I've seen carpenters and carpet fitters wandering around Asda with knives hanging off their belts. I've spent a long time involved in the Military and Bushcraft with machete, axe and big knives and never come a cropper but you are going to have a sickie fit about a Wave because it's blade locks?

In reality if you are sensible and use it appropriately it really should not be an issue. If on the other hand I produce it at a barbeque to slice some lemon up for a G&T or pop the top off a bottle, are you going to gather the wife and kids up and usher them off the premises because I am breaking the law?

If you interpret the law like that and cannot apply some common sense then yeah, stick to SAKs.

It’s not my law but it is the law so I wouldn’t advise people otherwise is what I am saying,I don’t criticise you for doing it.
    In court he can tell the judge my mate on the internet said it was OK

You have police acting like this

https://www.bloodbikesdevon.org.uk/n...ess/not-guilty

I thought it was totally legal if there was a good reason to carry one. E.g. For use at work, fixing the car, gardening, general repairs etc.
    I normally take a mini multi tool (1-inch blade, non lockable) in the hold luggage suitcase on holiday flights.

I have heard of game hunters using Leathermans to gut venison on a shoot. Apparently the saw blade is handy to remove the ribs.

I can imagine the conversation with the village bobby.
    Excuse me sir, do you have any offensive weapons?
    Yes officer, a couple of 12bore shotguns, a full pack of ammunition, and a Leatherman multi-tool.
    Sorry sir, I need to confiscate the multi tool.

Master
    SAK Farmer, great EDC.

Master
    As if anyone on TZUK is likely to get stopped and searched. SAK for me, one of my oldest possessions now bought on a school skiing trip almost 40years ago. No after sales service required.

I vote Leatherman. Well built models which are designed for more specific roles, so you can get the one that works for you without a half the tools going unused.
    The SAK is the original multitool, but Leatherman has left it far behind, in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

SAK for me.

I've tried having a Leatherman as an every day carry multi tool & always found them awkward compared to a SAK. True the pliers are beefier but I want more than a pair of pliers (& the SAK ones are quite handy anyway).

I carry a Victorinox Mechanic (you don't often see it in the UK) - superb & very useful thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    leatherman, simply for the quality of their aftersales care in the uk.
    And a gaurantee that lasts for years.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    And a gaurantee that lasts for years.
    25 years to be precise

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have just found out Swiss Army knives where issued by NASA though I don’t know which model.
    Victorinox are going to sell a special one for this anniversary.

Found this.

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.p...ster+Craftsman

Master
    Blog Entries
    In the best Bond villain voice 4 hours and counting.

https://www.victorinox.com/ch/en/Vic...2lHsTRjEBKEjE0

In the best Bond villain voice 4 hours and counting.

https://www.victorinox.com/ch/en/Vic...2lHsTRjEBKEjE0
    They say it won't be revealed until then, but isn't it in the picture with the watch? A white SAK with an astronaut logo on it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    They say it won't be revealed until then, but isn't it in the picture with the watch? A white SAK with an astronaut logo on it.
    No that one comes with the watch,nice though.

No that one comes with the watch,nice though.
    It would appear their site can't cope! The page is currently down

Tinker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Tinker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The fact that it's a Tinker was in the advert for it before the release though?
    I'm trying to get on the site now, and no luck! Intrigued by the colour and what's special about it otherwise.

Edit: Site sporadically up now. Looks alright I guess (not a fan of scales with photos printed on them though)
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 21st July 2019 at 10:54.

Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman ? : Discuss

The fact that it's a Tinker was in the advert for it before the release though?
    I'm trying to get on the site now, and no luck! Intrigued by the colour and what's special about it otherwise.

Edit: Site sporadically up now. Looks alright I guess (not a fan of scales with photos printed on them though)
    I kind of thought it would be a Craftsman again, otherwise something a bit more Astronauty or Cosmonauty than ‘Tinker’. Tinker doesn’t really capture the essence of the event does it.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 20th July 2019 at 22:08.

Blog Entries

The most ridiculous thing I’ve read about carrying knives in ages.
    I suppose you advocate breaking the speed limits as well, because you are an upstanding citizen who should be allowed to bend the rules.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 21st July 2019 at 08:41.

When the law's an ass, break it, but be prepared to accept the consequences. That applies to knives with locks and here in Edinburgh the 20mph limit on wide, non residential roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The most ridiculous thing I’ve read about carrying knives in ages.
    I suppose you advocate breaking the speed limits as well, because you are an upstanding citizen who should be allowed to bend the rules.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I kind of thought it would be a Craftsman again, otherwise something a bit more Astronauty or Cosmonauty than ‘Tinker’. Tinker doesn’t really capture the essence of the event does it.
    Swiss condescension?

I finally got through the website and bought a pair last night. It was constantly going down, presumably due to people trying to get on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve heard some went straight on eBay,I hate those people.

I don’t think it’s a good job so will pass.

Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman ? : Discuss

Well done, now sold out.

Of course, we need pics when you receive it
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Well done, now sold out.

Of course, we need pics when you receive it
    I'm intrigued by the coating on them - hopefully it's more William Henry than Rockstead in terms of thickness.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve heard some went straight on eBay,I hate those people.

I don’t think it’s a good job so will pass.
    Not sure how given they won't arrive for another few days?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm intrigued by the coating on them - hopefully it's more William Henry than Rockstead in terms of thickness.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how given they won't arrive for another few days?
    It’s been done before,listing before arrival.

Little scrotes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    When the law's an ass, break it, but be prepared to accept the consequences. That applies to knives with locks and here in Edinburgh the 20mph limit on wide, non residential roads.
    I suppose thats one way of looking at it, only obey the laws you agree with.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Just searched for the Man on the Moon Tinker on Ebay. $300 to $500! Glad I managed to get one from the Victorinox site at retail.

Any idea what the stainless steel finish is? Chromium oxide?

What is the choice Swiss Army knife wise for a small multi tool knife for key rings? I’m currently using the leatherman style cs and tbh it’s my most used multi.

Just wondering what the opinions was on the Swiss army equivalent?

Master
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    EDC on my keyring.

Safely under 3 inches!

https://www.heinnie.com/nitecore-ntk05

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I’ve owned a SAK for years and it often came in useful at work (commercial pilot) but then we got banned from carrying them. Which I always thought strange since I could crash the plane in my boxer shorts if so inclined.

Although more useful in sailing, I carry a Gerber EZ Out on me in case of an urgent need to cut lines on the boat or free myself from entanglement if I end up in the water. It’s f’in sharp!

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/gen...e-safety-knife