closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Sporting Event You've Spectated

Master
    Blog Entries

Best Sporting Event You've Spectated

Ok folks there are lots of and varied sports lovers on here.

So, whats the best event you've been a spectator at?

My own privilege has to be the Jack Nicklaus Tom Watson duel in the sun at Turnberry in '77. What a day and what a spectacle.

Artistry, subtlety, determination, true sportsmanship and sporting excellence against a competitor, a course and thyself. Wow!!

Jim

It’s going to be tonight at the Etihad. City 4-0 comeback.

In my dreams !

Guess the Aguero goal to snatch the PL

Master
    Cheltenham Gold Cup 1989.

Desert Orchid beating Yahoo in the mud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcCuIVn6egM

I saw some Ski Jumping once at Garmisch-Partenkirchen
    One of the4 hills challenge on New Year’s Day
    Great day out-the atmosphere was electric, believe it or not!

Master
    1979. Just passed my motorbike test and rode down to silverstone for the 500cc GP

Sheene v Roberts. v sign, and an epic race

Last game at The Boleyn.

Beat Man Utd 3-2 and it's the only ever time I've cried at a football game.

Finish line seats for Super Saturday at London 2012. Got tickets at the third attempt and initially had to convince the wife they were worth the money.

Craftsman
    Silverstone F1 1992, my first experience of live F1. The cars looked, smelled and sounded so much better then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Mike Hailwoods victorious return to the Isle of Man TT after his spell in F1.

Craftsman
    Mine are mostly football and Spurs related so probably not so special to others, seen Spurs play at Madrid and San Siro to name a few. FA Cup wins but possibly best was beating Arsenal 3-1 in 91 FA Cup semi.

Early 20's and didn't get home for 3 days after that victory, some hang over also come the Wednesday. Lol

Was at the Mayweather Hatton fight 2007 in Vegas,. Been to loads of F1 races mainly work though. Nothing beats a game of football though.

Blog Entries
    Two (actually 3) events (chronologically):
    • London Olympics; seeing Marianne Vos (cycling) win Gold and two days in the Excel Arena watching judo
    • Seeing my son win the Dutch Youth Sailing Competition in September 2017

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 11th April 2018 at 07:17.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    It’s going to be tonight at the Etihad. City 4-0 comeback.

In my dreams !

Guess the Aguero goal to snatch the PL
    We can hope you do win, hopefully after extra time though. Lol
    Last edited by thfccambs; 10th April 2018 at 17:48.

I always like a good athletics meet. This was particularly good at Gateshead with the men's 100mtrs

Master
    2004 Athens Olympics Women's Beach Volley Final - Medals were presented by Prince Albert of Monaco.

Dubai 7's 1998??
    NZ v Fiji final. Bit of a dust up start of second half. Some big slaps to witness due to a distinct lack of love between these two great rugby 7's playing nations and a snub to the Fijians in the seedings by the tournament organisers leading up to the final.

Super Saturday for me too.

I will never forget the sound of 90k people screaming their heads off as Mo came round the final turn. Still brings a tear to my eye today.

Mine is a whole year - 2012.....!!

Saw Quins win the Rugby Premiership Final vs Leicester & being friends with the Quins DoR meant a great party afterwards......

Saw Chelsea win the FA Cup & Champions League in what was a pretty poor season.....!!!!

Was at Super Saturday for the Olympics & have never heard a crowd like that before or since.....

Watched Lewis Hamilton win a great race in Montreal.

Should have gone to Paris to watch Bradley win the TdF & still gutted that I didn't...

BUT if i had to pick a single event, it would have to be when Chelsea won the Premiership at Bolton in 2005....never thought I'd see that day....!!

Cheers

Paul

Le Mans 1995 despite the fact it pissed it down with rain.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    KP vs Brett Lee at the Oval, 2005.

Blog Entries
    What was the best day of my life? Marrying my beautiful wife? The birth of my wonderful children??

Leicester v Everton 2016…. I had the hottest ticket in the world and enjoyed (one of?!!!) the best day of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I saw some Ski Jumping once at Garmisch-Partenkirchen
    One of the4 hills challenge on New Year’s Day
    Great day out-the atmosphere was electric, believe it or not!

Slightly off topic!

I worked near there (In Schliersee) in 1978/9!

I thoroughly enjoyed the Ryder Cup in 2010. Hired a campervan for the week and stayed at a camp site pretty close to Celtic Manor. The weather was terrible and when play got extended to the Monday we booked a later flight home and stayed for the finish. Really fond memories of the whole week.

Although, for sheer atmosphere, I have to say being in the Manchester Arena for the Frampton vs Quigg fight was pretty special.

Super Saturday. The noise every time Mo came around the bend was immense. It was like a wall of sound, a physical force. I don't think I will see a sporting session like that again. Evening ended in a slightly surreal manner, Boris Johnson was in the same train carriage on the way back from the park, talking about (in his words) "Jess, Mo and the ginger chappy, no saw that coming."
    J

Master
    Stirling Moss, German Grand Prix 1961.

Master
    Never seen one :(

1981 Man City vs Spurs FA Cup Final replay and seeing THAT goal (by Villa) and I wasn't even into Football.

England beating South Africa in 2002 by 50 points at Twickers.

Watching very young racer called James Hunt driving (and crashing) his Fomula Ford at Crystal Palace in 1968.

Watching Sammy Miller run a sub 4 seconds quarter mile in Vanishing Point at Santa Pod.

Best of all - my son's Rugby Team playing Bath U16 (away) and winning - best ever!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    England vs Scotland in the Six Nations last year, sat one row back on the halfway line, incredible!

Sadly this year was a different story but I wasn’t there so it didn’t happen!

I’ve missed around 2 Isle of Man TT’s in the last 40+ years, so they stand out as my highlights, but I’ve had the privilege to travel to and watch a number of world superbikes and Moto GP events over the years - far too many amazing experiences to choose one though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Ryan Giggs goal against Arsenal in the FACup semi final. When he ripped his shirt off I started crying (with joy!)

Managed to get tickets for Wimbledon final 2008 between Federer and Nadal. Greatest game of tennis ever played

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Second one for me. My first TT 1992 Steve Hislop winning the senior on the Norton.....epic

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Second one for me. My first TT 1992 Steve Hislop winning the senior on the Norton.....epic
    Absolutely amazing race! IIRC Carl set the lap record on the OW01, but Hizzie won
    It's just a matter of time...

Bruno v Tyson. Vegas

My first F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone in 1991.
    As has been stated above, the smell and noise of the cars totally lit up my senses. The ground felt like it shook as the noise of the cars ripping past reverberated in the air.
    Stunning.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    Was at the Mayweather Hatton fight 2007 in Vegas.
    I was there for that - amazing atmosphere. I stayed at the Wynn where Rickies parents were staying and all the Americans wanted him to win.

Watching Mo Farah last year win the 10,000 meters at the world athletics in London!! Incredible atmosphere

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    What was the best day of my life? Marrying my beautiful wife? The birth of my wonderful children??

Leicester v Everton 2016…. I had the hottest ticket in the world and enjoyed (one of?!!!) the best day of my life!
    Agreed, nothing will ever surpass it unfortunately

Grasstrack sidecars back in the early 70s. Bunch of loons!

Apart from watching my daughter win the U7’s obstacle race it would have to be the following:

Mike Tyson v Frank Bruno Las Vegas 1989. My brother and I decided to fly out on a last minute whim, amazing weekend. We managed to sneak in and watched the fight a few seats away from Sam Fox.

World Cup semifinal England v West Germany Italia90. There was an alcohol ban in place in Turin but I still felt drunk, the atmosphere was intoxicating.

London 2012, we weren’t there on Super Saturday but went twice to the Olympics and once to the Paralympics. Got to see Chris Hoy win his sixth gold medal, Bolt & the Jamaicans winning Gold Silver and Bronze in the 200m and Oscar Pistorius only get Silver & the WeirWolf win his Gold.

My first game watching Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, Boxing Day 1972. We lost to West Ham but I was hooked! I’ve been lucky to have seen us win the lot now and attended every final (including the Full Members and Zenith Data Systems Cup...) but that night in Munich in 2012 will never be beaten. I’m not ashamed to admit I blubbed like a baby, as did most of the grown men around me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Agreed, nothing will ever surpass it unfortunately
    Champions league 2020... you heard it here first!

England vs Spain at Wembley in Euro 96, England win the penalty shoot out

Notts County vs Brighton 1991 Division 2 Playoff Final, Wembley. Notts get promoted to the old first division, winning the game 3-1.

Nottingham Panthers vs Ayr Scottish Eagles, 1997 Playoff Semi Final at Manchester Arena, Panthers were 5-2 down with 80 seconds to go, they score 3 goals to tie the game, sending it into overtime. There followed 5 scoreless 10 minute periods of overtime. Panther won the game with a short handed goal in the 6th OT period. (link)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Champions league 2020... you heard it here first!
    5000 to 1?

Unfortunately I was there on Saturday and CL seems a long way off......Not going to moan though, we've done OK this season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    5000 to 1?

Unfortunately I was there on Saturday and CL seems a long way off......Not going to moan though, we've done OK this season.
    Plenty would and do…. A new breed of self entitled City fans are now among us…. Really embarrassing…. Potential top 7 and Europe would have been the thing of dreams a short while ago…. Big game Saturday

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I was there for that - amazing atmosphere. I stayed at the Wynn where Rickies parents were staying and all the Americans wanted him to win.
    Luckily enough to have stayed in the MGM where the fight was held. Went without a ticket and managed to bag one an hour before the fight.

Was pretty gone by then though. Lol

Master
    Back in the days when I had delusions of solvency, The Monaco Grand Prix 1992

Mansell led until about 10 laps from the end - he had some sort of issue and Senna got past. Mansell's car was so much quicker but Ayrton made his McLaren about as wide as a lorry and Nigel could find no way past.

Brilliant weekend

Craftsman
    France 44 NZ 31, Rugby World Cup semi final 1999 at Twickenham. Electric atmosphere in the stadium as France turned the tables and destroyed the All Blacks. Almost as good as the atmosphere at the MEN for Ricky v Kostya Tszyu in 2005....

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

The mighty North End beating Blackpool late on in the League Cup 2013.

A balmy Monday evening in August, pitch invasion and shivers down the spine.

Also the bottom of Bray Hill for the Senior TT.

Master
    Football related for me and I was fortunate to follow UTD for a long time all over the world so for me the obvious ones are the cl win 99 v Munich in Barcelona which was epic because we should of lost but Chelsea in Moscow in 08 was special as I was a lot older and much more sober so I remember more of it

Master
    I wasn't there but hope someone here was at the greatest British sporting achievement in my lifetime which was Murray v Djokovic at Wimbledon-Couldn't watch it-played golf then stayed in the garden until a cheer went up.Then watched the whole final twice that night.
    For one I was at then the last day of the Turnerry Open when Watson had to par the last to win at 58 yrs of age.
    That whole day was electric.

Master
    Rangers 2 Aberdeen 0 1991. Amazing atmosphere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36263204

Murray's first Wimbledon. Was so pumped!

Mosconi Cup in recent years (London in particular) has also been fantastic.
    Last edited by troymcclure72; 11th April 2018 at 13:40.