closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster Pro chronograph faulty?

Speedmaster Pro chronograph faulty?

I don't know why but this morning I decided to run my chronograph on my 2017 Speedmaster Pro. I started my stopwatch on my phone at the same time so I could check its accuracy. Well I just had a look to see how it was getting on and it has been running for 53 minutes but the hour hand was at the 1 hour mark. Surely the hour hand shouldn't reach the 1 mark a whole 7 minutes early? I am running it again now to see if I can catch exactly how early is hits the 1 hour mark.
    Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a problem or normal for a manual chronograph?
    The watch is within warranty so if this behavior isn't normal I can get it repaired under warranty. Anyone else with a speedmaster pro able to run this test for a comparison?

Master
    Blog Entries
    It should reach 1 hour when your watch says it has been runnng for 1 hour, not when your phone does surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    It should reach 1 hour when your watch says it has been runnng for 1 hour, not when your phone does surely?

The chrono had been running for 53 minutes (the watch minute hand and the phone stopwatch were perfectly in sync) but the hour hand was at the 1 hour mark.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah ok. Well, I'm not wearing mine today but can check later if no-one else does

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Ah ok. Well, I'm not wearing mine today but can check later if no-one else does
    Thanks, I would appreciate that.

This is what I’m talking about. The Chronograph has been running for 50 minutes but the hour marker is at 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Non issue. Your photo is slightly from the left and it still hasn't reached the index. The gearing is not wrong, so unless it starts in the wrong place, it will be right.
    Dave

depends where is it at the actual 1:00:00 mark?

or at 2hr mark?

if its not too past the right marker and it resets ok properly i would not worry too much about it - happened to a seiko of mine once - running it for a few hours on and off for a couple of days made it a bit better
    the 'hour creep' is known issue though so if yours does this too (when chrono not running) it will need a service
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 10th April 2018 at 11:45.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As above, it hasn't reached the 1 yet

This is normal - it hasn't actually reached the 1. It doesn't move equally over time.

It's a common thing, though some are worse than others. Mine is just over a year old and does the same.

There's quite a few threads on other forums, if you search for them. Some report success in allowing the chrono to run for a few hours and then re-setting it, but I haven't found it to make much difference.

One owner left his back to Omega for replacement, but the second watch did the same. There's a technical explanation which explains the slippage, but I've forgotten the exact reasons.

Obviously, this is a different issue to the chrono hands not re-setting to zero - mine re-set to zero perfectly, but still have this issue whilst running.

It's a little annoying, but in practice it's usually pretty obvious what the correct reading is. In your example, with a total elapsed time of 50mins, the hour hand has nearly arrived at the 1 hour marker - a little early, true - but even if it were to be bang-on the 1 hour marker, the minute recorder is showing 20 minutes, so clearly the hour hand is far too close to the 1 hour marker for it to ever be mistaken for 1hr 20mins elapsed, instead of the actual 50mins elapsed.

A recent thread on here suggested many never have use for their chronograph, but I do, so of course I'd much rather it worked better, but at the end of the day the seconds & minutes registers are the crucial ones if you're actually wanting to time something.

Master
    Mine does this too, I suspect they all do. Can be a bit confusing sometimes.

To the more technically minded, is there a reason why the hour subdial can't remain static until the 30, 60 min elapsed time have been reached ? I understand that it would be more of a step move for the hour subdial hand, do any other Chrono movements work this way ?

It looks broken to me. Thankfully for you I will give you £1000 cash for this ‘fixer upper’. PM sent.

Although, as others have said the hand hasn’t yet hit the hour marker, so seems fine to my untrained eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    To the more technically minded, is there a reason why the hour subdial can't remain static until the 30, 60 min elapsed time have been reached ? I understand that it would be more of a step move for the hour subdial hand, do any other Chrono movements work this way ?
    Don't know, but in a similar vein Patek installed a ratchet wheel in their chronograph movement so that the chrono minute recorder hand moves only once per minute, jumping into position instantly & precisely on the 60 second mark. Of course, that contrasts with the Speedmaster, where the chrono minute hand 'creeps' forward over a few seconds before clicking fully-forward to the next minute marker. It required Patek to add an extra layer of complexity though. Maybe it's just too unwieldy to do so for the hour recorder hand, bearing in mind the chronograph otherwise works off constantly-moving gears.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I was obsessing a little too much over this. I don't imagine I will ever use the chronograph to time anything for more than a few minutes anyway.

Blog Entries
    Looks fine to me. It reminds me of the mechanical measuring devices used back when doing my physics degree back in 1979, calibration meant you had to read all dials backwards in effect. Read the most significant digit first - in this case hour dial 0h or 1h depending on the minute dial which is either 20m or 50m depending how close to 1h the minute register is, then seconds - off the second had = 4.2s.

The speedy minutes do flip over each minute unlike the hour which doesn’t.

So on the Omega it is 00:50:04.2

so a good match to your phone stopwatch.

here is my example on ST

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th April 2018 at 14:41.

Sorry I humbly disagree with several posters above as to whether this is acceptable, even if they are correct that this is quite common.

Perhaps i am lucky but my Speedie pro is perfectly aligned all the time. The hour mark gets hit at the 30 minute mark twice per hour, and is in step on both sub dials at all times in between.

So maybe I am lucky but I would never accept my watch being so far out as yours (as it seems to me) on a 3.5k watch.

I'd demand it get rectified under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    It’s fine, mine is similar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    ...Perhaps i am lucky but my Speedie pro...The hour mark gets hit at the 30 minute mark twice per hour,..
    But the Speedmaster Professional hour dial does not have 30 minute marks. Do you have a different model by any chance? Do you have dial picture please? Maybe you have a 9300/9800 calibre?

All the best.

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Don't know, but in a similar vein Patek installed a ratchet wheel in their chronograph movement so that the chrono minute recorder hand moves only once per minute, jumping into position instantly & precisely on the 60 second mark. Of course, that contrasts with the Speedmaster, where the chrono minute hand 'creeps' forward over a few seconds before clicking fully-forward to the next minute marker. It required Patek to add an extra layer of complexity though. Maybe it's just too unwieldy to do so for the hour recorder hand, bearing in mind the chronograph otherwise works off constantly-moving gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Mine does this too, I suspect they all do. Can be a bit confusing sometimes.

The original Heuer cal 11 movement's chrono hour recorder 'jumped' it was driven from the 30 minute chrono recorder, nice bit of kit :-)

Craftsman
    If it is a speedmaster pro then the hour recorder is not driven by the chronograph seconds, which then runs the minutes.
    It is driven directly from the mainspring barrel. The ratio is not super accurate I am afraid.