Hi all,

Any advice (consumer, legal or insurance) welcomed please!

A work colleague of mine has been sent a letter from her insurer saying that she gave her details incorrectly (she has an auto only license and the previous policy just stated "full" UK license, which I am assuming they mean they think she had auto + manual). They took scans of the license after the renewal, and there's no proof they didn't know about this all last year as far as I can see. They blame confused.com, where the original quote was made 2 years ago... English isn't her first language so I can see how this could be confusing either way. She doesn't have any family here and I've offered to help, with 0 experience of insurance, just plenty of experience complaining!

They are trying to charge her £90 extra for last year's policy, and £90 for this year's (she has just renewed). If she wants to cancel they want £50 from her on top of the days she has been covered.

This seems like absolute tosh, particularly for the previous year, which has been completed (and the cancellation policy - with a mobile contract you would be able to cancel for free). Are there any legal grounds for this? Of course, if you get a new quote today, the same company will quote the same as her renewal (not including this extra £90) for an automatic only license. The car in question is of course an auto... the surcharge is also way more than 10% of the total price (which is still extortionate when I saw it!).