closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s been your biggest “waste of money”?

Master

What’s been your biggest “waste of money”?

Or at least - most memorable?. Clearly this is relative to how much you have available but not relevant to the question.
    I still cuss over spending an extra 2K on a business class flight to Oz (my own money) thinking as I lay out on the so called bed still awake that the pleasure is costing me £100 an hour!

Blog Entries
    My first marriage. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit: not keeping the original Seiko 62MAS 10 yrs ago...
    Last edited by thieuster; 31st March 2018 at 10:35.

The wife, have looked after her for the first 5 years or so of marriage, paid for laser surgery on her eyes, paid the bills etc etc. She still is a moaning, whining, short tempered, ungrateful cow. Now she earns more than me, she still has me paying for most things and is still being the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    The wife, have looked after her for the first 5 years or so of marriage, paid for laser surgery on her eyes, paid the bills etc etc. She still is a moaning, whining, short tempered, ungrateful cow. Now she earns more than me, she still has me paying for most things and is still being the same.
    :) this made me smile.

Blog Entries
    Fantastic, that is going to take some beating

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Maybe she should be?

My current house. Thought we were staying here so renovated it to a way higher spec than the house itself justifies. Next door sold and our new neighbours have victimized us for 2 years and we are going to have to move... Will be losing out £30k for sure, if we can even sell with the clampets in situ.

The hateful, spiteful cow I got married to.

Master
    My gym membership the last couple of years

Actually, scratch that; I just remembered the 1 grand I spent on a 'Drone Pilot' course that I never completed

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Priceless

Both of my marriages

The first one resulted in a net loss of around £240K the second one IRO £500K - all related to property

Fool me once - shame in you, fool me twice - shame on me

Idiot

Ski apt I bought in Bulgaria

The depreciation on new cars, and dabbling in shares (in which i know nothing about)....

And that penis enlarger - it didn`t work.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post

And that penis enlarger - it didn`t work.
    PM sent.

PMSL!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    PM sent.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Possibly what seems like the £3 million worth of Lego kits Ive bought my kids over the years, now in a big tub of random pieces.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    The only loss that has bugged me was a £2,700.00 loss on selling a timeshare. However to be fair, I owned it for 20 years and I had some brilliant holidays abroad on the cheap, so I suppose I did get my moneys worth but buying at£2,800 and selling at £100 did seem a bit of a failure.

PM sent.
    Is that 73mm?

Most marriages where the wife out-earns the husband end in divorce. So you might be free of her sooner than you think!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Most marriages where the wife out-earns the husband end in divorce. So you might be free of her sooner than you think!
    If that’s the case I’m wrapping in and hitting the dole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The VR headset I purchased on a whim when I got my S7
    Made me dizzy and disorientated to the point of chunder.

I love wasting money. I’ve got no children or grandchildren, so I can waste it all on myself!
    So I do.. I buy expensive cars and motorbikes, I fly first class and eat in good restaurants. I am having loads of fun pissing it up the wall.

Well, I spent my life earning it, and I can’t take it with me.

Master
    Fair enough - coffins don’t have pockets!

Have to say this tickled me too.

Marconi shares in 2001 :(

Master
    PM sent.
    Brilliant

Probably mine is paying rent until my mid-30s and missing the 1990s-2000s property boom entirely. We moved around a lot going to Oz for a couple of years and France for a few years so never settled long enough to buy somewhere. When we finally settled down we were hundreds of thousands behind our peers who had stayed in one place and bought property early. Been playing catch up ever since.

Fancy a swap?
    F.T.F.A.

Cars, cars and cars, too many regrets to list.

If I didn't have my five year old, I would willingly give her away. The wife, not the five year old that is. No swaps or trades thanks. Knowing my luck, I would get her back, further down the line...

Much prefered being a carefree bachelor.

You have my sympathy. I had a step-daughter and she brought me to the point of considering measuring her up and digging a hole under the patio to hide the body! Boys are so much easier, even the sullen teen ones.

Waste of money? Never had much, so there hasn't been much to waste!

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Both of my marriages

The first one resulted in a net loss of around £240K the second one IRO £500K - all related to property

Idiot
    But you did make a bit back on those beard trimmers

So many to choose from...the holiday cottage that I slept in for a total of 10 nights and sold at a £70k loss...the four Ferrari's I sold (all at a loss) that would be worth a good £200k more today...I could go on but it's Easter and I'm trying to stay positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    You have my sympathy. I had a step-daughter and she brought me to the point of considering measuring her up and digging a hole under the patio to hide the body! Boys are so much easier, even the sullen teen ones.

Waste of money? Never had much, so there hasn't been much to waste!
    Thanks. The daughter is sweet, and very young, so is cool and funny. It's her hormone monster mother that's the problem.

Master
    The ex. Worst thing I ever did , only major mistake in my life was to get married to that harpy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I love wasting money. I’ve got no children or grandchildren, so I can waste it all on myself!
    So I do.. I buy expensive cars and motorbikes, I fly first class and eat in good restaurants. I am having loads of fun pissing it up the wall.

Well done that man

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    I just remembered the 1 grand I spent on a 'Drone Pilot' course that I never completed
    Just thinking of doing this, any advice would be welcome.
    Last edited by number2; 31st March 2018 at 15:20.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I thought that losing about £150,000 in divorce was bad enough, others Mr Velorum seem to have done much worse,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

Brilliant! Good on you Jim! I’m a few years behind you, but in a similar situation ... but I have a fear of spending money which means mine will all be going with me to the graveyard, unless I can let go and learn to live like you! (Pens excepted. I spend a king’s ransom on pens, but it’s not a waste as I love them all!).

Probably the yacht I bought in my 20's, I can't sail, thought it would be a good idea, it wasn't....

Happily sold it at a loss to get out of all the expenses and the shame of being an idiot :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've just spent getting on for two grand not moving house. On the one hand, a slow but gratifyingly careful survey found a list of concerns as long as my arm, while the search revealed that two extensions had zero certification. The estate agent took two days to finally get the hint and was still telling me that the owner was sure they had the documentation that the council were sure didn't exist and that the owner was unaware of the issues that they had very carefully concealed.

On the one hand it was money well spent, on the other, that's getting on for half a cheap Rolex on naff all. I can pay for the other half when my wife decides on the next house I want to buy.

I can barely wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Or at least - most memorable?. Clearly this is relative to how much you have available but not relevant to the question.
    I still cuss over spending an extra 2K on a business class flight to Oz (my own money) thinking as I lay out on the so called bed still awake that the pleasure is costing me £100 an hour!
    Im glad I paid the extra for my Oz business flights - my most recent wasn’t business class! :(

Biggest waste, buying QXL instead of Ebay.

Buying Omega models I really like (including bi-metal) instead of Rolex, knowing that one will appreciate in value, or at least faster.

Agreeing to have children when I didn’t particularly want any responsibilities - but not quite a waste, as they are fantastic - just financially crippling at times.

Oakley sun glasses - as I’ve lost around 10 pairs to date!
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    That's a half full view... There we go

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Just thinking of doing this, any advice would be welcome.
    1. Get a lot of flying practice (I can send you a list of the maneuveres I was expected to be able to do if I ever made it to the assesment - although these will likely be different depending on the NQE you will do your course with)

2. Like any other governmental agency, the CAA is full of jobsworths, so expect parts of the legislation to make no sense, and, more importantly, expect an incredibly hard time to find places to fly your drone legally if you're unlincenced

3. Flying because you have to (like when practicing maneuveres for your assessment) is NOT fun - it will more likely be stressful and frustrating

4. If you do this for your job, don't believe them when you're being told that you'll get all the support you need (like time off for practice flying, to study for your test etc.) - you'll end up having to do it in your own time anyway

5. Depending on the NQE (National Qualified Entity - basically the course provider) you choose you can do your course either online (and then go for assessment) or on a residential basis. Although it will be appealling to go the online route and do the course at your own pace, stuff will always get in the way and you'll never get round to finishing it - just suck it up, go do the couple of days at a residential course and be done with it

I can give you more info on specific questions you might have, but that's pretty much what I wish someone had told me before I signed up for it.

PS : sorry for going off topic

Superb ! My kind of people

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    A BMW

26 BMWs, I never learn.....

Craftsman
    It would be between marine reef aquariums, had a couple crash losing £**** of livestock.

Or

Fast Food, not much cooking has occurred in my house over the last 15 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I thought that losing about £150,000 in divorce was bad enough, others Mr Velorum seem to have done much worse,

Not sure you can reach that conclusion!

When I bought some land at auction which was freehold but then was told by the local council that they had adopted it 30 years ago and that there wasn’t a chance in hell I could have my own land back. Luckily I bought some further land which I sold on at a profit which covered the loss on the first piece of land...the experience was invaluable though so every cloud and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Both of my marriages

Idiot
    And the common denominator in this mess was?