closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Laminate flooring

Laminate flooring

How much does laminate flooring actually expand? I mean 'proper' all artificial laminate, rather than engineered.

The reason I ask is that I will be installing a board parallel (e.g. not at right angles) to a wooden threshold, I would strongly prefer not to have to use one of those threshold cover strips, but if I butt the laminate up with no gap, would it be likely to expand and buckle? This is in a conservatory, so is subject to extreme variations in temperature.

Leave a 5mm gap and get some silicone of a similar colour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it depends on the size of the 2 spaces, the bigger the area covered the more the expansion

When I looked into it most websites and stores I looked at said 5mm all round. Remember to remove the spacers though before fitting and skirting boards overs the top

Blog Entries
    5mm expanding differs: what's the length or width of the floor? Bigger sq ft will bring more expansion. I've done the second floor of my house. I started with one room. Lucklly, I had bought laminate for that room only. After laying a few planks, I decided throw the complete box with planks in the skip, regretting that I bought cheap stuff. It was rubbish. A more expensive product fits perfect now.

Master
    Get polyfloor, warm underfoot, almost indestructible in home environment, looks far better.
    Like others have said would not bother with laminate & whatever you use replace skirtings after fitting, looks far better.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had quikstep fitted 10years ago and still looks great. The fitter took the skirting off in prep to leave an expansion gap to the walls and fitted the skirting on top.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I had quikstep fitted 10years ago and still looks great. The fitter took the skirting off in prep to leave an expansion gap to the walls and fitted the skirting on top.
    Agree

Master
    I fitted laminate flooring in my kitchen the old stuff I took out has massive tongue and grooves the new replacement laminates Tongues and grooves were very small and if the floor was slightly out they would not click together properly Took about 3 days for me to move my knees again horrid job

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    As others mentioned IMHO, most laminate is shit, and not worth dragging home from the store. That said, I have had several jobs done where I paid my trim carpenter/ hardwood installer to do it by the hour, and installing 100 sq. ft. an hour is no big deal, for a pro. Get hardwood floor

Interesting.

Laminate flooring

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Leave a 5mm gap and get some silicone of a similar colour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve always replaced skirting but if not would do this rather than use a horrible cover strip.

Bear in mind that with laminate, expansion due to changes in humidity will likely be greater than that for temperature.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 20th May 2020 at 22:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I’ve always replaced skirting but if not would do this rather than use a horrible cover strip.
    Agree, it’s horrible stuff.
    No matter how good the flooring it’s ruined by using scotia beading.

Apprentice
    We moved to Canada. The seasonal suburban home is unheated most of the cold season, and naturally the floors in it heat up and cool down. Such climatic disasters are not good for the finish. It took us a long time to decide on a redesign, it was a difficult choice. We went to https://zelta.ca/commercial/, and laminate can also serve as an original wall decoration. Of course, you should not use such cladding near water sources, as a kitchen apron or wall decoration in the bathroom

Karndean is superb IMHO

Craftsman
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Karndean is superb IMHO
    Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Karndean is superb IMHO
    Good to hear.

Craftsman
    I've got Karndean flooring in both my kitchen and living room. I chose it because I live in an old flat with wonky floors and this stuff is more forgiving than tiles which might crack if the floor moves. It only took a day to fit.

The flooring has a 15 year guarantee and has been doing me well since 2015. Picture attached.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fisher2 View Post
    We moved to Canada. The seasonal suburban home is unheated most of the cold season, and naturally the floors in it heat up and cool down. Such climatic disasters are not good for the finish. It took us a long time to decide on a redesign, it was a difficult choice. We went to https://zelta.ca/commercial/, and laminate can also serve as an original wall decoration. Of course, you should not use such cladding near water sources, as a kitchen apron or wall decoration in the bathroom
    You are already the second member who only came to this thread to drop a paid link. What are the rates for that sort of activity, can you make a living from dropping random links on random fora?

Last edited by Raffe; 8th May 2022 at 22:10.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.