closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certina offering Basel 2018

Master

Certina offering Basel 2018

I guess Certina based some of their 60’s / 70’s divers on Omega? I’ve assumed the SM300 and Big Blue were inspirations . Anyway this is a latest offering by them, priced I think at €695 German retail with 80hr powermatic and 200mWR. My personal experience of them is bullet proof for the money.,Not sure on lume power . If I didn’t already have a CWC and an incoming I’d be seriously tempted .
    What are your thoughts ?

free photo hosting
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 8th April 2018 at 14:55.

Certina never gets much chat around here. Would be interested to hear views about the brand and the powermatic 80 movement.

Master
    My Brother has a DS Podium Chrono and rates it.
    Coveting a Speedy though...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

80hr reserve is useful.

Not the most original design but effective. I'd be tempted to stretch to a used longines/oris

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    80hr reserve is useful.

Not the most original design but effective. I'd be tempted to stretch to a used longines/oris
    Like many brands Certina had a reasonably good reputation back in the 70s and have some great vintage pieces. They could do worse than dip into the archives for inspiration. I like this one.

Very underrated brand, I have several, some vintage & some modern, very well put together. This one is firmly on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Looks nice. It's over 42mm I think, be interested to know the lug to lug.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Master
    Abit military diver looking. CWC springs to mind but without the crown guard.

Master
    Certina offer great value imo, similar to Hamilton in that respect for me. I've a DS80 powermatic that I don't wear much now but it never missed a beat and is nicely made.
    I'd have preferred smaller bezel minute markers but for the money I think it will be hard to beat.

I have an enquiry lodged at Certina as to when exactly this is to be released, where I can get one, and whether it will be limited.
    This is (apart from size) a very faithful re-edition of the 5801 117 from 1967, so all remarks on originality are not really that relevant.

pic from vintagecertinas.com

And even the original was over 40mm as well.
    This new one even has a hesalite crystal.
    It, the Guinand Chrono, and the Tudor GMT are my Baselworld highlights by quite a long way.
    And, as I have said before, because DS are my initials, it is almost like having a personalised watch. Which is why I am asking.....
    Dave
    Last edited by sweets; 8th April 2018 at 18:39. Reason: embarassingly poor typing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I have an enquiry lodeged at Certina as to when exactly this is to be released, where I can get one, and whether it will be limited.
    This is (apart from size) a very faithful re-edition of the 5801 117 from 1967, so all remarks on originality are not really that relevant.

pic from vintagecertains.com

And even the oriignal was over 40mm as well.
    This new one even has a hesalite crystal.
    It, the Guinand Chrono, and the Tudor GMT are my Baselworld highlights by quite a long way.
    And, as I have said before, because DS are my initials, it is almost like having a personalised watch. Which is why I am asking.....
    Dave
    1967 seems to be a golden year for dive watches . The Longine / Record chronograph red Bezel beauty was a 67 release as well, I think ?

Craftsman
    Isn't powermatic basically non serviceable which makes it a disposable movement (i.e. Apple like cancer)?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    Isn't powermatic basically non serviceable which makes it a disposable movement (i.e. Apple like cancer)?
    Assuming it's an ETA calibre C07.111 I can't see why it shouldn't be serviceable, as it's based on the ETA 2824-2. The big difference is it doesn't use traditional regulation methods and is regulated using screws on the balance, similar to Patek, Audemars and JLC. They are apparently laser regulated at the factory.

I suspect come service time, assuming it goes back to Certina, the movement will be replaced as it's probably more cost effective for the manufacturer, however it's not unserviceable. Whether ETA will sell the tool needed to adjust the balance screws is a another issue. The pessimist in me says they won't.

Lovely looking watch and as has been said pretty faithful to the original. Certina should be applauded for keeping it at a sensible price level and not exploiting their heritage with inflated price tags.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Assuming it's an ETA calibre C07.111 I can't see why it shouldn't be serviceable, as it's based on the ETA 2824-2. The big difference is it doesn't use traditional regulation methods and is regulated using screws on the balance, similar to Patek, Audemars and JLC. They are apparently laser regulated at the factory.

I suspect come service time, assuming it goes back to Certina, the movement will be replaced as it's probably more cost effective for the manufacturer, however it's not unserviceable. Whether ETA will sell the tool needed to adjust the balance screws is a another issue. The pessimist in me says they won't.

Lovely looking watch and as has been said pretty faithful to the original. Certina should be applauded for keeping it at a sensible price level and not exploiting their heritage with inflated price tags.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Think you are likely to have to have it serviced by Certina and may well be they replace the movement, their official price is 190 chf so about £140 at the moment.

Just got my answer back from them. It will be out in October, and will be a non-limited production model. All Certina stockists should be able to get hold of it.
    Dave

Using a successful design from their own back catalogue is very commendable in my opinion. The styling ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Unfortunately, the case will be 42,8 mm in diameter and judging from the pictures very long lug-to-lug.

The original wasn't small and looks much better proportioned. Why couldn't they just stick with those dimensions?

Just got my answer back from them. It will be out in October, and will be a non-limited production model. All Certina stockists should be able to get hold of it.
    Dave
    Now available to pre order. https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...adb33486ff_jpg

Been available for pre-order since a very short time after Baselworld.
    Some online retailers are actually quoting a stock date of 31st October now, like this one.

However, that may just be because they have been told October and that is the last day in it.
    Looking forward to trying one
    Dave

Decent review of it here: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ce...h200m-hands-on

I love the fact it sports a thick acrylic crystal. 80 hour reserve is impressive too.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It certainly ticks boxes for me...so much so I have one on pre-order. I'm quite looking forward to it turning up.

This and the BB GMT were the stand-outs from Baselworld for me this year, but it has taken Certina a lot longer to get this out (not that it is actually out yet).
    6 months is too long, isn't it? Especially as the movement has been elsewhere (so is not new, even if it is impressive) and there were working prototypes at the show..........
    Dave

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I guess Certina based some of their 60’s / 70’s divers on Omega? I’ve assumed the SM300 and Big Blue were inspirations . Anyway this is a latest offering by them, priced I think at €695 German retail with 80hr powermatic and 200mWR. My personal experience of them is bullet proof for the money.,Not sure on lume power . If I didn’t already have a CWC and an incoming I’d be seriously tempted .
    What are your thoughts ?

free photo hosting
    I'm a massive fan of vintage Certina divers. Very under rated. I like this new offering but at 43mm it's out for me.

I'm not sure Certina based their watches on Omega designs. Could be the other way round ;-) The SM300 lookalike came from Certina around 1967 I believe.
    Last edited by trident-7; 18th October 2018 at 12:28.

Craftsman
    Has anyone got wind of a release date yet? I had a poke about on the internet but it seems very quiet on this model.

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Has anyone got wind of a release date yet? I had a poke about on the internet but it seems very quiet on this model.
    I thought they had been released, I am sure someone here has one. (I might be wrong)

I was looking too. One of our members in Poland has one (rip posted here in post #5976 that he has one) but no dice yet over here, it seems.
    D

Master
    Several sold in Finland.

Im sure I saw these being sold at Creation yesterday?

Im looking into getting a DS Action...and saw these for sale there.

They had one in stock at Francis and Gaye over the weekend. Gone now.

Just spoke to Jura. First batch is out to customers, he reckoned over 100. 35 are on back order, they are anticipating delivery of next batch at the end of this month.
    Dave

Just spoke to Jura. First batch is out to customers, he reckoned over 100. 35 are on back order, they are anticipating delivery of next batch at the end of this month.
    Dave
    Nice to know. I emailed Jura last week and was promised someone would let me know. Seems they meant you!

Craftsman
    I will keep a lookout locally just in case one pops up but I do have a pre order, obviously the next batch due in.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I recieved an email from Francis & Gaye yesterday tell me they are back in stock, so I purchased one and It’s going to be delivered today.

Master
    Two more in stock at Francis and Gaye (there were 3! 😛)

https://www.francisandgaye.co.uk/cer...1605000-p23633

I wish Jura would get a shift on......

I got mine last week, report will follow.

Certina offering Basel 2018

Just ordered the last one from Francis and Gaye... Based my decision on the reviews but more on the photos from Jocke!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Lovely looking watch but I've just read in the link posted by JohnnyE above in post #19 that the the lug to lug length on these is 52mm

Master
    Arrived yesterday, initial thoughts are very positive.

Master
    Jura are suggesting that this watch has a sapphire crystal?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Jura are suggesting that this watch has a sapphire crystal?
    It would appear Jura may be misinformed, has a lovely domed acrylic crystal.

(Below taken from Hodinkee review)

Most surprisingly, Certina also fitted this watch with a “Hesalite” (acrylic) crystal, a rarity on modern watches besides Omega’s Speedmaster Professional. Most brands have opted for box-shaped sapphire crystals for their re-issue watches, mainly for their scratch resistance. And while these are, by and large, excellent

I got one on order. Should have it end of the month or beginning of Dec.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    I got one on order. Should have it end of the month or beginning of Dec.

You won't regret it and certainly a good alternative to any high end micro brand offerings !!

Quote Originally Posted by rousey View Post
    You won't regret it and certainly a good alternative to any high end micro brand offerings !!
    I agree. Plus I'm in the U.S. Certina has no distribution here so its piece you won't see in the wild.

Master
    I agree. Plus I'm in the U.S. Certina has no distribution here so its piece you won't see in the wild.

I hope you manage to purchase one my friend.
    Last edited by rousey; 15th November 2018 at 15:10.

Anyone try different straps with this watch? Please post them.

Jura doing 12%off this at the moment

Watch shop are now out of stock, but we’re doing 20% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone try different straps with this watch? Please post them.

Been trying a few

Put mine on a red Hirsch. Love it.

Put mine on a red Hirsch. Love it.

Hadn't considered red, that looks good.