closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any PC builders about?? Needs some graphics card advice

Master

Any PC builders about?? Needs some graphics card advice

Hi

Got an old gaming machine given to me recently and it all works fine I took it with the intention of putting a more powerful graphics card in there so I could connect it to Nicehash and let it do its thing.

Found a MSI GTX970 that I quite liked and opened the case to take a look and good thing too as it looks the card wouldn't fit anyway.

Its a Median PC (actual model number is MEDION ERAZER Gaming PC X5337 E 3.6GHz i7-4790). The motherboard is a MS-7848 V1.0 (I've attached a picture of it) and has one PCIE-16 slot to fit a graphics card to. It originally came with a GTX770 but that is long gone and not that powerful now anyway. Looking at the GTX970 in the local shop, it looked like it would potentially foul the capacitor and the white connector blocks (the ones with the red cables attached).

I'm don't know much about these things so thought I'd see if anyone here would have an opinion/advice??

Ideally, I want to be able to connect a MSI GTX970 to it, but if that isn't an option then any other ideas??

Pic of motherboard;

I’d be surprised if it does foul those things, any graphics card will be over them and should be designed with clearance in mind.
    Have a look at photos of 770 vs 970.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Cool, thanks.

While looking, I also found this which at £210 seems pretty good - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1
    Any thoughts/opinions??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Thanks. I had noticed that quite a few people were saying that it was compromised. Just wondering if I should try for the same model (1060) in a 6GB version, if I can find a compact version. Bit loath to try the bigger form factors as unsure if they'll fit.

Something like this maybe?? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Nv...s=gtx+1060+6gb

More money, but maybe better longer-term? Maybe better resale at some point.

The GTX 970 i was looking at was £200 used to put it into context. So a bit more for a more modern card with better capacity might be a good option?
    Last edited by bambam; 6th April 2018 at 23:07.

don't forget to check your power supply mate, learned that the hard way. the 970 draws around 150w so you will need a spare supply from the board as well as the pci source. what output is the PSU?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    don't forget to check your power supply mate, learned that the hard way. the 970 draws around 150w so you will need a spare supply from the board as well as the pci source. what output is the PSU?
    Max output on the power supply is 700W and there are plenty of power cables available. That should be OK I reckon?
    Good point though.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post

The GTX 970 i was looking at was £200 used to put it into context. So a bit more for a more modern card with better capacity might be a good option?
    If it can take a full sized 770, it should be able to take a 970, unless it had some massive 3rd party cooler.

Also, that's too high for a used 970, £150 is as much as you should pay, and I picked one up on a forum for £135 recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychomech View Post
    If it can take a full sized 770, it should be able to take a 970, unless it had some massive 3rd party cooler.

Also, that's too high for a used 970, £150 is as much as you should pay, and I picked one up on a forum for £135 recently.
    My GTX970 was 30cm long and I had to adjust the drive caddy to allow for it. Other models were shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    My GTX970 was 30cm long and I had to adjust the drive caddy to allow for it. Other models were shorter.
    Massive third party cooler? ;) My 970 is 277mm, my old 770 was 268mm, and my 980 Ti was 275mm. All fitted in a micro ATX case.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure of the dimensions of my 290x lightning is but it resembles a brick.

Pop the question over on the forums of Overclockers UK. Honestly, I saved a bunch of time and money asking there (not necessarily buying from the linked shop!).

Massive third party cooler? ;) My 970 is 277mm, my old 770 was 268mm, and my 980 Ti was 275mm. All fitted in a micro ATX case.
    Nope, stock card, just long. A mate bought the Strix version which was shorter. Mine was the Windforce.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What's the height of the PCB blocks/Capacitors? As long as they're not significantly higher than the PCI slot it should be fine as cards are designed to minimum specs in that dimension (some 3rd party coolers might be outside spec).

The Windforce is within spec in that dimension - PCB/cooler does not drop below PCI slot:

Length is usually more of an issue than that sort of thing.

Master

I'm not sure if the GTX 770 was full size as it wasn't in the case when I got the machine so I have nothing to compare it to.
    I agree that £200 is too much for a 970, but this was from Cex, I thought I'd be able to return it if it didn't fit but they said I'd only get a voucher back. I offered to take the machine to them to try in the shop but they didn't want to do that either. In the end it was too much of a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    What's the height of the PCB blocks/Capacitors? As long as they're not significantly higher than the PCI slot it should be fine as cards are designed to minimum specs in that dimension (some 3rd party coolers might be outside spec).

The Windforce is within spec in that dimension - PCB/cooler does not drop below PCI slot:

Length is usually more of an issue than that sort of thing.
    The white looking PCB blocks are a bit higher than the PCI slot and that is what was causing me the the concern. The MSI 970 had different dimensions to the Nvidia card.

I've now gone for a Gigabyte 1060 6GB in a compact form. Went for a brand new one so that there is some resale value left if I change it over. Spent a bit more than initially expected, but the rest of the machine hasn't cost me anything.

Thanks and I'll update when the card arrives.

Something for me to research in the meantime is - how can I add external cards with only 1 PCI-16 slot on the board??

Craftsman
    If you are just going to do mining, perhaps use a PCI riser?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCIE-Riser-...ci+riser&psc=1