closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Early retirement

Hybrid View

Master
    I worked in Portugal for around 2 years and loved every bit of my time spent there! If you have the sufficient means i would do it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find a job you love, and you'll never work another day.
    I'm semi retired....I just work 'TWAT' weeks now.
    It's great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Find a job you love, and you'll never work another day.
    I'm semi retired....I just work 'TWAT' weeks now.
    It's great.
    I always enjoy(ed) my employment until now - and promised myself that if I ever stopped enjoying it I would stop (that type of work).

The time has come to leave the stupid SLT (Senior Leadership Team) and their acronyms and self-inflated importance of disruptive technology - stupid term - which breaks critical systems and blind ignorance of important basic requirements.

Now I may not want to be a lumberjack (monty python) but I’d quite like to be a forest ranger or work for national trust (voluntary) or similar. If in Portugal I would guess there would be conservation schemes.

My retirement plans were blown out of the water by an expensive divorce. Coming up 60 in 3 months never thought I'd be working at that age. Seeing Bristow & Wilkins pop off this week has sent alarm bells ringing. Can't really see me packing up until 66 unless I find few nuggets. My old man retired at 53 died at 88. I wanted to beat his retirement........... no chance! If you can afford it do it!

Just out of interest, to those of you who have retired early, I take it your mortgage free? How much income per year would you say you need to live comfortably if it were just you and the wife and no mortgage? I’m way off some of you guys being only 34 but I’m hoping at 55 I can own two properties outright. One being my main family home and another being a buy to let that I’m hoping to get this year on a 20 year mortgage. Hoping this could be my pension. I was even thinking about buying a place abroad now and renting it out to cover the mortgage so that in 20 years if I cashed in the Uk property for say £500k+, if I paid myself £40k a year that would take me up to 67.5. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Just out of interest, to those of you who have retired early, I take it your mortgage free? How much income per year would you say you need to live comfortably if it were just you and the wife and no mortgage? I’m way off some of you guys being only 34 but I’m hoping at 55 I can own two properties outright. One being my main family home and another being a buy to let that I’m hoping to get this year on a 20 year mortgage. Hoping this could be my pension. I was even thinking about buying a place abroad now and renting it out to cover the mortgage so that in 20 years if I cashed in the Uk property for say £500k+, if I paid myself £40k a year that would take me up to 67.5. Any thoughts?
    I have been mortgage free for a number of years due to family inheritances. In my experience your outgoings adapt to your income.

So you really need to figure out your expenditures and work from there ?

There are calculators on line for this - and really depends on your life style. One way to calculate what (retirement) income needed is to check your current income(s) and compare against your current spend. really depends how many Pateks you want to buy! My wife says we can sell one of my watches a year and have a little holiday for the next ten years!

My grand-dad used to say, “a penny more earned than you spend equals happiness, a penny less earned than you spend is sadness”.

I may be a dissenting voice here, but one of my great fears is that stopping work equates to starting to die. I totally believe in getting the right work-life balance, I’m not a workaholic, but I will quite happily continue what I’m doing for as long as I live or am able.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Bit boring but are you solely relying on the property as your pension? 67 isn't much of an age to plan to tbh. I'm no pensions expert but I would advise starting a pension fund if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Bit boring but are you solely relying on the property as your pension? 67 isn't much of an age to plan to tbh. I'm no pensions expert but I would advise starting a pension fund if you haven't already.
    I have a pension at work, nothing special. I’m like a lot of others on here, I’m hoping to make my own pension or be in a position where property works better for me..