closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sending a Quartz Breitling in for battery replacement... worth it?

Master

Sending a Quartz Breitling in for battery replacement... worth it?

I've had an Aerospace Evo Quartz since 2013. It was bought brand new around the time they first came to market and works as flawlessly now as it did back then. However, the batteries are rated at 3-5 years so it's surely due a new battery at some point soon (no indicator currently). I store it with the digital displays switched to "off", but I don't pull the crown for the full power saving mode.

Would you send it in to Breitling or go to a local store? I'm inclined to send direct to Breitling as I know it can't go anywhere better, but I certainly don't want the watch to be polished and it'll take weeks to come back to me no doubt. The benefit would be that they'll hopefully replace any items that need to be so, such as seals etc. A local store would replace the battery and probably pressure test within a few hours and charge a lot less. The cost isn't my concern though; if I save money, great but if Breitling are so much better according to people on here, I'll just go down that route.

I've sent watches to Duncan on here in the past, but he's always very backlogged, hence me looking at the other avenues.

I had the same dilemma and went with breitling in the end. Helped by the fact it's only 30 miles up the road, plus you get the warranty. I've stipulated no polish before and they're very happy to just clean. There is a guy up the m1 in Leicester who does breitling battery changes.. is it tca repairs?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I had the same dilemma and went with breitling in the end. Helped by the fact it's only 30 miles up the road, plus you get the warranty. I've stipulated no polish before and they're very happy to just clean. There is a guy up the m1 in Leicester who does breitling battery changes.. is it tca repairs?
    Mind me asking how much it cost? I didn't think about the warranty; definitely a nice extra to have just for peace of mind.

Master
    I've used Alex at Perpetual time for a few watch repairs including a Breitling B1 battery replacement, always had good service, has an lrlam, Salford base so possible to drop watches off directly with him.
    http://www.perpetual-time.com

http://tcawatchrepairs.com

If you don't want to go to breitling. Like I say, I did in the end but these guys were very accommodating on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Mind me asking how much it cost? I didn't think about the warranty; definitely a nice extra to have just for peace of mind.

It was an emergency so extra batteries and tests I guess and it was £405 a few months back.

Which was quite a bit more than TCa at around £150 iirc but given the nature of the watch and the warranty I decided to go large.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    I've used Alex at Perpetual time for a few watch repairs including a Breitling B1 battery replacement, always had good service, has an lrlam, Salford base so possible to drop watches off directly with him.
    http://www.perpetual-time.com
    My girlfriend's family are around there so that's interesting actually, thanks for the info

Master
    It was an emergency so extra batteries and tests I guess and it was £405 a few months back.

Which was quite a bit more than TCa at around £150 iirc but given the nature of the watch and the warranty I decided to go large.
    Okay that's definitely more than I was expecting but an Emergency is a different beast I guess. I'll get in touch with them for an estimate.

No idea on how much Breitling charges for a battery change and reseal however I've just sent my quartz GS to Seiko in Maidenhead for a new battery, reseal and pressure test. I know that there are cheaper options out there however I justified it to myself for a few reasons; they'll do the best job possible, I trust them (used them before for a service on an auto), peace of mind, if I was to pass the watch on it would be easier to sell and that the cost is relatively little compared to the value of the watch and how much an average auto costs to service.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    No idea on how much Breitling charges for a battery change and reseal however I've just sent my quartz GS to Seiko in Maidenhead for a new battery, reseal and pressure test. I know that there are cheaper options out there however I justified it to myself for a few reasons; they'll do the best job possible, I trust them (used them before for a service on an auto), peace of mind, if I was to pass the watch on it would be easier to sell and that the cost is relatively little compared to the value of the watch and how much an average auto costs to service.

All good reasons that went through my head too.

Master
    https://www.breitling.com/multimedia...av/sav-894.pdf

Looks like a maintenance service is pretty much all I'd need and it's £140 so not terrible at all. I'll probably go for that.

Wayne, it says £140 for quartz maintenance service or £385 if it really needs it which I'm sure yours won't.

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/serv...ces/breitling/

ETA - found and posted a minute after you.
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 4th April 2018 at 23:45.

Master
    Wayne, it says £140 for quartz maintenance service or £385 if it really needs it which I'm sure yours won't.

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/serv...ces/breitling/
    Yes that's what I mean. I don't want any polishing etc and although I understand there are oils in the movement, £385 just isn't that appealing on a Quartz :-) The maintenance one gets me a new battery and replacement seals so really, that would be more than ideal.

No brainer for £140 imo, and if something crops up whilst being inspected its in the best place to get sorted. Happy days.

I changed the battery in my Aerospace myself. I forgot which watch I had on when I went to the pool. It flooded. Idiot!

After languishing in a drawer for two years I sent it to Breitling for repair. £1089!!! I wish I had just sent it to them for the battery change.

Master
    IMHO going back to a prestige manufacturer for service is going to cost you around 3 times (or more) than for anyone else. Battery changes aren't in themselves complex operations. If you think there are extra benefits to using the manufacturer, that's entirely your decision....but I'd feel ripped off.

Craftsman
    If you are going the Breitling route, I’d speak to their customer service team, and talk it through with them. They are friendly people, and send it to them rather than an AD.

My Emergency came back literally looking like new, and with a nice Bakelite travel case.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm currently in the situation of my aerospace requiring a new battery (been dead for almost a month now) and cant decide if I want to do a battery change myself or just drop it into the Bluewater boutique for the £140 service. I did laugh when I went around the corner into Ernest Jones who quoted almost £500 for the same service!

Thankfully like you it is always stored with the digital display off so that should be ok.

Fish

Master
    UPDATE:

Perpetual time got back to me stating they no longer have a Manchester option.

So a shame I missed the boat there. I haven't had a second to speak to Breitling as I was so busy during the week, but will aim to do so this coming week. I'll be opting for the £140 service and hope they don't try to insist on anything extra once the watch arrives with them and is inspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    If you are going the Breitling route, I’d speak to their customer service team, and talk it through with them. They are friendly people, and send it to them rather than an AD.

My Emergency came back literally looking like new, and with a nice Bakelite travel case.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I'm currently in the situation of my aerospace requiring a new battery (been dead for almost a month now) and cant decide if I want to do a battery change myself or just drop it into the Bluewater boutique for the £140 service. I did laugh when I went around the corner into Ernest Jones who quoted almost £500 for the same service!

Thankfully like you it is always stored with the digital display off so that should be ok.

Fish
    Yes I would never send through an AD. Ever since I bought a bracelet screw from Goldsmiths and they charged me £20, plus inevitably ordering the wrong part in the end anyway, I've avoided ADs and gone direct where possible. This will be no different.

Sorry for the post resurrection,

Can anyone Tell me what battery for an aerospace advantage.

Many thanks in advance. :-)