closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Likelihood of sourcing a Submariner at a UK AD?

What would they have the new Pepsi GMT up for?

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    What would they have the new Pepsi GMT up for?

£1,000,000,000,000,000,000

(or without the warranty card.....£6,800.00)

Apprentice
    I phoned around local dealers in Staffordshire late October and was put on a few waiting lists none who have got back to me. Phoned and arranged to meet a lady from DMR in London instead of Manchester by mistake ( I'm not a clever man) six month waiting list according to her. Changed waiting list to Altrincham ( Craig, nice bloke offered me a beer before I put deposit down). Put down 1k deposit got called just before Christmas for watch free umbrella and a nice book. Think they are available but you just need to show your face or seriousness of intent?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousjoe View Post
    I phoned around local dealers in Staffordshire late October and was put on a few waiting lists none who have got back to me. Phoned and arranged to meet a lady from DMR in London instead of Manchester by mistake ( I'm not a clever man) six month waiting list according to her. Changed waiting list to Altrincham ( Craig, nice bloke offered me a beer before I put deposit down). Put down 1k deposit got called just before Christmas for watch free umbrella and a nice book. Think they are available but you just need to show your face or seriousness of intent?
    Strangely it's pretty much gone to waste wrist time wise. Wear a G shock or Polar most days and a GS or a Memvox for nights out. Nice watch but yeah not for me and certainly not worth begging a AD to buy.

Master
    I wonder what the record is for someone getting a new Rolex and then it appearing on Watchfinder with a chunky mark-up.
    More than once I've seen people listing on Gumtree (at significant premiums) SS Rolex watches that they say they are "picking up from AD tomorrow", or similar. Trying to sell before you buy really is taking the whatsit.
    Last edited by David_D; 5th April 2018 at 11:17.

Master
    Strangely it's pretty much gone to waste wrist time wise. Wear a G shock or Polar most days and a GS or a Memvox for nights out. Nice watch but yeah not for me and certainly not worth begging a AD to buy.
    Shame you can't access SC then, how about a closet sales post fella?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Shame you can't access SC then, how about a closet sales post fella?
    😀I'm sure it will get some use eventually. But if they are as hard to come by as people seem to think I will definitely hold on to it for a few months till it hits the 10k mark 😂
    Last edited by furiousjoe; 5th April 2018 at 11:17. Reason: More bloody duplicate paragraphs

I wonder what the record is for someone getting a new Rolex and then it appearing on Watchfinder with a chunky mark-up.
    The Chucky mark-up will from watchfinder on there website. The seller won't get that now there bidding folk in the balls for stuff maintaining crazy high prices must need the wages

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Bloody hell there's one on watchfinder for £8250 no wonder people are tempted to flip them

Bloody hell there's one on watchfinder for £8250 no wonder people are tempted to flip them
    Means nothing what they list for you won't get top money off them.
    I recently got a enquiry of steel Daytona 2015 with 5 year warranty they bid 8350 to 8700 they list for 15k 🤨 they told we have 15 in stock

Indeed.

Despite the ‘rush’ the market is not about private sales per-se.

Great PX’s are offered on this stuff, but they make good money both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    I recently got a enquiry of steel Daytona 2015 with 5 year warranty they bid 8350 to 8700 they list for 15k 廊 they told we have 15 in stock

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I recently got a enquiry of steel Daytona 2015 with 5 year warranty they bid 8350 to 8700 they list for 15k 🤨 they told we have 15 in stock

You selling?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Calm down wide boy.

[QUOTE=BadBoyR;4725846]You selling?/QUOTE]
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    You selling?

Yes 8350 will buy it 🤨

Craftsman

Yes 8350 will buy it 廊

Not in this life time

Master
    Not WF or a Sub, but Berry's in Nottingham and a Daytona-C, less than a week of release from Goldsmith's to Berry's (500 yards or so) £17k

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Bought my SubC from EJ in Kingston (no longer an AD) in 2012.

The watch had only been released in Basel 9 months earlier and yet it still only took a wait of 4 weeks to get my hand on one.

Bought the list price worth of EJ vouchers at a 15% discount, only to find ‘cannot be used on Rolex of Patel Philippe stamped on the rear of the vouchers’

Given an innocent mistake, then a phone call with a manager in Birmingham, the vouchers where honoured. Best £4250 I have ever spent.

Can believe the palaver these days.
    +1

Got my ND in Dec 2012.

In Bristol, Goldsmiths in Cribbs told me there was a 6month waiting list, yet 1 month later, both GS and EJ (in Cabot) each had one in the window, I asked each for a discount, GS laughed at me, EJ gave me 5% (and offered credit, which I didn’t take) and I walked out with a fully stickered up watch, with warranty card, hang tag, plastic thing from the bezel yada yada full set.

Reading this thread just makes me wonder WTF is going on these days when a customer can’t buy something at full rrp and even get to take all the box contents home

I could get it a bit more if it was a new model but FFS, the ceramic Sub has been out now for (what?) ten years or something.

As noTAGlove shares above, we both bought a ‘new in 2012 model in 2012’ with very little palaver.

Good luck finding one Wayne.

Craftsman
    I put my name down in a few places for either a SubC ND or Date model, received 4 calls for watches within a 3 month window. This was August through to October last year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    I put my name down in a few places for either a SubC ND or Date model, received 4 calls for watches within a 3 month window. This was August through to October last year.
    Are you asked to pay a deposit (refundable?) every time a dealer puts your name on a list?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchdude View Post
    Are you asked to pay a deposit (refundable?) every time a dealer puts your name on a list?
    No. Hence the huge waiting lists. Things would clear up fast if people had to put a 25% deposit down.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Forget all the noise and natter and just pick up the phone a ring a few Ads. I did that last year a got a BLNR within 4 months from dealer I had no prior relationship with.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think you're missing the point. Those who've been "chosen", the special few, the ordained, those so privileged to be allowed to spend 6K on a watch that cost £600 to make, are not able to just pick up the phone. They have to have a relationship first.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    I think you're missing the point. Those who've been "chosen", the special few, the ordained, those so privileged to be allowed to spend 6K on a watch that cost £600 to make, are not able to just pick up the phone. They have to have a relationship first.
    It's handy to have if you want a sub quickly, no matter what grizzlers on the internet have to say about it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchdude View Post
    I wasn’t then no, I called about 12 places within an hour’s drive from home and a few wouldn’t put me on their list as I wasn’t local or never brought before.
    If I was asked to leave a deposit, I would have but then i’d only have tried the AD’s that I brought from before.
    I thought U.K. AD’s didn’t ask for deposits, seems to be a new thing..

I live in Brussels and at the Rolex Boutique for a watch with a list, you have to put down €2,000 deposit. The Daytona list is closed there

This is such a bizarre situation! A couple of years back you couldn’t give black sub dates away on Sc :) in fact, I remember meeting Wayne at Brent Cross with a bundle of cash (bricking it, naturally) to buy his 116610LN which was by far my biggest purchase at the time and then struggling to sell it on a year later. I remember Wayne being a top guy, incidentally- hope you find another sub soon mate. One’ll turn up sooner or later :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    This is such a bizarre situation!
    Indeed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is such a bizarre situation! A couple of years back you couldn’t give black sub dates away on Sc :) in fact, I remember meeting Wayne at Brent Cross with a bundle of cash (bricking it, naturally) to buy his 116610LN which was by far my biggest purchase at the time and then struggling to sell it on a year later. I remember Wayne being a top guy, incidentally- hope you find another sub soon mate. One’ll turn up sooner or later :)
    Possibly my old 116610LN!!

Wasn't long ago 114060's were stuck sitting in ADs like the Explorer IIs

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Possibly my old 116610LN!!

Possibly was, although I think he's probably had a few !

If Explorer IIs became hard to get hold of, do you think people would be joining lists etc? Genuinely wonder because now I know I can't get a sub date... I kind of want another one! Damn you, Rolex marketing, I... I feel so used!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    “No our waiting lists are closed...”
    Lunn s have plenty of DJ in the window and the odd PM and TT sports, the explorer 2 in both dial colours, but little else. I did see a GMT2 LN some months ago tho.
    AFAIK all the SS sports wait lists are closed, speaking as one who hopes to be on the list for the new d blue.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The world has changed . . . . . for now!

All it would take for it to change back would be any of the following:

1. Rolex to increase production and supply to the U.K.
    2. The £ to strengthen against the Euro and $ maybe.
    3. Another credit crunch like in 07/08.
    4. Rolex to increase U.K. prices by a serious amount.

Some are unlikely to happen, I'd be fairly confident one of them will though. As long as you're buying to keep, wear and enjoy, not going into debt to get it and not paying over RRP, in a way it doesn't matter.

Master
    Blimey, I walked into an AD in Madeira a couple of days ago and they had both ND and date versions available. Admittedly, Euro RRP but does that really matter? No mention of warranty card retention etc etc either.

My local dealer holds a list for popular Rolex models, much the same as they all do.

When the model arrives in stock they just call the telephone numbers on their list in turn. If you don't answer you have missed your chance as they call the next person on the list. If you do answer the phone, they give you 24hrs to purchase (in store only), after which they call the next person on the list.

My friend managed to secure a SD43, Deep Blue SD and a LV Sub from the same AD within the space of 3 months as he was the first person to answer the phone and turn up with the money.

Right place
    Right time
    and a bit of good old fashioned luck too.

Master
    Cheers for the compliment and look how little you paid compared to their value now. It feels like they’re getting more expensive by the day!

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I know these things go in cycles (around when I joined the forum I seem to remember there were waiting lists for subs, then they disappeared, now they're back again), but what was different back then? More supply or less demand?

No interest in the LN GMT W44nne ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    No interest in the LN GMT W44nne ?
    I already have a TT GMT plus only ever buy with B&P tbh. The steel GMT is a lovely watch though; it's the watch the made me aware of Rolex sports watches back in 2005 or whenever.

Possibly was, although I think he's probably had a few !

If Explorer IIs became hard to get hold of, do you think people would be joining lists etc? Genuinely wonder because now I know I can't get a sub date... I kind of want another one! Damn you, Rolex marketing, I... I feel so used!
    I think you could well be right... when I could readily pick up a 114060 I knew what I really wanted was a 2 liner 14060... know I can’t get my hands on a 114060 guess what I know what I really want now?

No rhyme nor reason to this malarkey I guess... I’m off to the local AD later to see how my wait for the SD43 is progressing, be interesting to see what’s there

Master
    ^ Speaking as the owner of an Explorer II I don't think we'll ever see a time when they'll be hard to get hold of.

It was a toss up between that and a readily available SubC Date when I bought it. I'm almost ashamed to admit that due to its omnipresent availability I've pretty much regretted it ever since.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    ^ Speaking as the owner of an Explorer II I don't think we'll ever see a time when they'll be hard to get hold of.

It was a toss up between that and a readily available SubC Date when I bought it. I'm almost ashamed to admit that due to its omnipresent availability I've pretty much regretted it ever since.
    That's a shame to hear. At the end of the day you must have liked it when you bought it. No Rolex etc is exclusive; elusive yes but if the current Exp. ii wore better on my wrist, I'd absolutely have one.

Craftsman

I bought a black faced explorer 2 in sept 17.

I love it.

I love the size and feel.

I bought one as i have a lot of black bezel watches.

I have to admit the steel bezel has really grown on me.

Craftsman
    This thread has made me want a sub c date!

This thread has made me want a sub c date!
    To sell on Gumtree ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    That's a shame to hear. At the end of the day you must have liked it when you bought it. No Rolex etc is exclusive; elusive yes but if the current Exp. ii wore better on my wrist, I'd absolutely have one.
    I did yes and I remember being torn between them but decided on the Explorer II on the basis that it was less popular than the Sub, and therefore less common. I've realised since that the reason being is because the Explorer IIs have sat in AD's windows ever since.

This is going back a few years mind, when EJ in Kingston were still a Rolex AD so probably c.2012 when my eldest was born. Clearly at the time I hadn't realised how much more of an expensive hobby being a parent is than being a WIS!

Master

I sold my GMT IIc in preference for a Polar ExpII, and I love it - absolutely no regrets. But then I don’t like shiny watches; I must admit I found the GMT a little embarrassing to wear.

On a slight tangent, I got my GMT IIc with a 16% discount from an AD i’d never even met, yet alone bought from. I did the negotiation online and I got a fresh GMT in the next batch - about 2 week wait. That was in 2010/2011 ish from memory.

At the time I was also looking at SubC’s which were readily available for a similar discount, and at the time they were always on SC - the going rate was £5000 to £5500 on SC.

Articles quoted here suggest Rolex have slightly increased output, so we must assume that demand has sky rocketed - does anyone know why that might be?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    To sell on Gumtree ?
    I'll offer you it first for WF price plus £50 just the same as you offered me your black Daytona.

Ooops that was meant to be a PM 🤣

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll offer you it first for WF price plus £50 just the same as you offered me your black Daytona.

Ooops that was meant to be a PM 藍

Forum dealers scratching each other's backs.

Well... zero movement on the SD43 list since January, D-Blue Deepsea looking like 6 years... and don’t even mention the Pepsi GMT.

3 years(approx) for a ND Sub!

But... no problem, you can have any Cellini your heart desires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    I bought a black faced explorer 2 in sept 17.

I love it.

I love the size and feel.

I bought one as i have a lot of black bezel watches.

I have to admit the steel bezel has really grown on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I sold my GMT IIc in preference for a Polar ExpII, and I love it - absolutely no regrets. But then I don’t like shiny watches; I must admit I found the GMT a little embarrassing to wear.

On a slight tangent, I got my GMT IIc with a 16% discount from an AD i’d never even met, yet alone bought from. I did the negotiation online and I got a fresh GMT in the next batch - about 2 week wait. That was in 2010/2011 ish from memory.

At the time I was also looking at SubC’s which were readily available for a similar discount, and at the time they were always on SC - the going rate was £5000 to £5500 on SC.

Articles quoted here suggest Rolex have slightly increased output, so we must assume that demand has sky rocketed - does anyone know why that might be?
    I'm glad to hear that there's still love for the Explorer II.

I remember at the time I did prefer the look and chose the Polar dial due to having numerous diving watches in my collection, all of which had/have dark coloured bezels and dials. I also love how how the orange hand pops against the white background.

I sense I'm just being a little fickle, like a child that sees what someone else has got and wants that - story of my life!

Master
    'Luxury is scarcity'. You can't have truly luxurious items freely available or the marketing fails.