closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: George Daniels in SC (Withdrawn)

Master

George Daniels in SC (Withdrawn)

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...George-Daniels

(Now withdrawn since its after mid day on 1st April)
    Last edited by Tiny; 2nd April 2018 at 11:18.

Stop it you bore.

So you have a poor response to the other thread and link it here. You must be out of your Tiny mind...

Master
    Well, 'tiny' knows someone who really does have the ability to put a George Daniels up for sale. Although Sotheby's is more likely than SC.It's kept in a safe and handled only with white gloves. Which is a shame...watches are for wearing.

Master
    what's the joke here (apart from Tiny)?

I haven't stopped laughing yet.

But then, in order to stop a thing, one has to start it in the first place...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    what's the joke here (apart from Tiny)?
    I also have no idea.

Craftsman
    About as funny as an episode of Hold the Sunset - unless I'm missing something that is too obscure/clever for me?

A tiny bit unhinged...

You have however won an award: the saddest thread I have come across in my c9 years here. That's some achievement!

Master
    Blimey, it's obviously an April Fools joke; not a very good one, but so what. Why such hostility to a fellow member who's never criticised a single person in his contributions.
    'Unhinged'. , 'out of his mind', ' bore'.....what's the guy actually done?
    Last edited by paskinner; 1st April 2018 at 18:15.

Perhaps people are remembering his record of starting fatuous threads? eg http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=399625

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Perhaps people are remembering his record of starting fatuous threads? eg http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=399625
    "Eddie baby…"

Master
    I hadn't read that thread before now. But as Tiny said, is it any worse than the endless stuff about stickers and how to get on an ADs lists ?. He seems to be satirising the obsession with trivia that can seize us hobbyists (and not just with watches). Could it be the threads that are fatuous, not Tiny gently poking fun ?
    We are chatting about watches, not the meaning of life.
    Last edited by paskinner; 1st April 2018 at 20:07.

Master
    paskinner is tiny and I claim my £20 !

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    We have a winner. This thread made me feel kinda bad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    So you have a poor response to the other thread and link it here. You must be out of your Tiny mind...
    Sorry. Only had half an hour. You have to catch em April Fools before mid day!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Blimey, it's obviously an April Fools joke; not a very good one, but so what. Why such hostility to a fellow member who's never criticised a single person in his contributions.
    No need to say anything Peter. A bit of sour grapes no doubt for being caught out on April 1st. But thats OK. I don't mind. Its all light hearted :)

Tony
    Last edited by Tiny; 2nd April 2018 at 11:09.

Master
    I hadn't read that thread before now. But as Tiny said, is it any worse than the endless stuff about stickers and how to get on an ADs lists ?. He seems to be satirising the obsession with trivia that can seize us hobbyists (and not just with watches). Could it be the threads that are fatuous, not Tiny gently poking fun ?
    We are chatting about watches, not the meaning of life.
    Correct. Just a bit of light hearted satirisation. No need for guys to get their pallet stones in a twist!

Master
    But if you're wrong, I claim my £20!

Master
    I wonder what Burnsey would say to this thread. Could it start with the 'C' word and possibly end with the same letter.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Where do these ones come from?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Correct. Just a bit of light hearted satirisation. No need for guys to get their pallet stones in a twist!
    Explain is it a joke if so I don’t get it?

Master
    I do know Tiny, but he lives about 70 miles from me. The point, for me, was that since joining, he has never said a single unkind word about anyone. Not one. And yet look at the unkindness shown by contributors to this thread. All he did was poke gentle fun at our odd habits.
    Let's face it, to any 'normal' person, what we say and do on TZ looks pretty comic (as my partner enjoys telling me.)
    If we take ourselves too seriously, we really will be in trouble. It's fun or it's pointless.
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd April 2018 at 11:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Explain is it a joke if so I don’t get it?
    Are you American?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Are you American?
    English why?

If it’s an in joke just explain will you.

Master
    English why?
    Sometimes English humour is a little too subtle for the American psyche.

If it’s an in joke just explain will you.
    Which one? The April Fools day or the "Which watch to wear at a funeral"

Don't give up the day job. Christ on a bike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Don't give up the day job. Christ on a bike
    Just one last time:)

Master
    Blog Entries

Which one? The April Fools day or the "Which watch to wear at a funeral"
    I wish I hadn’t asked now I won’t again.

Just one last time:)
    That doesn't even mean anything? You really are a silly little man.

It isn't that your humour is too subtle but that it's non existent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    It isn't that your humour is too subtle but that it's non existent.
    Unlike yours, so often evident.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Both members should commit hari kiri and do us all a favour.

Apprentice
    Have to agree. I watch a lot of threads degenerate into ridiculous arguments with some more longstanding members resorting to name calling and basically bullying. Quite liked the funeral watch thread 😀
    Last edited by furiousjoe; 2nd April 2018 at 23:25. Reason: Duplicated paragraph

Master
    Nearly 2000 reads but many will be the same members returning. So at least a few hundred reading and some commenting. So its like talking to 100s of people in a hall. Some are likely to have strong opinions or be disturbed no matter what you say. Its to be expected. Some will express that. And that's OK. If a dog barks at you, you don't become offended or take it seriously because thats its nature. To bark. So similarly, if some members have name calling natures, I don't take it seriously. Its just how they are.

My not very good attempts at satire or poking a bit of fun are bound to attract some backlash. But everyone has their nature. Mine is a bit mischievous. Thats just how I am.

Now here's an example of some British humour. Its a bit old from the late 1960's. Basically this sketch is taking the ....... out of the many obscure government ministries here in the UK. Some of you will get it others won't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2ViNJFZC8

If you like that, the follow on vid is having a go at the Olympic Games.

Here's an idea for a sketch called "The Rolex AD". You have to use a bit of visualisation. A guy is walking down a shopping street. He loves his Timex and looks at it. Everyone on the street is wearing a Rolex. He's the only one with a Timex. At that moment a sales assistant runs out of a Rolex AD, and begs him on his hands and knees to come into the shop. The shop is overflowing with thousands of SS Rolex sports models. Shelves and shelves of them. They're only £100 each. The assistant tries to interest him with all kinds of offers. Two for one, lifetime warranty. Five sets of papers and cards, tags and stickers so it can be flipped many times. Spare links, a chauffeur driven car to take him home. Free whiskey, coffee, full meal, women are all available. The guy isn't interested and looks lovingly at his Timex. The assistant offers him 5, then 10, then 100 Rolex's for his Timex. The assistant then says, "Oh. You are so fortunate to own a Timex. Its my grail watch. I'll do anything for one". But the guy is having none of it. He's not parting with his Timex. After all, it cost him £14k. Timex's are so rare. The factory is restricting supplies and they cost a fortune on the grey market. He turns and walks out of the shop and down the road past the Timex AD which has a completely empty display window. Not a single watch is available. He doesn't go in because he knows its a 20 year waiting list. As he turns to leave, two guys on a moped approach at speed and mug him for his Timex. He picks himself up of the pavement and says, "If only I'd bought a Rolex".

Here's another sketch. Its a joint optician and hearing aid shop. Problem is the optician is blind and the hearing aid salesman is deaf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7UqhDs8zj4
    Last edited by Tiny; 3rd April 2018 at 11:18. Reason: Mind your own business!

Here's an idea for a sketch called "The Rolex AD". You have to use a bit of visualisation. A guy is walking down a shopping street. He loves his Timex and looks at it. Everyone on the street is wearing a Rolex. He's the only one with a Timex. At that moment a sales assistant runs out of a Rolex AD, and begs him on his hands and knees to come into the shop. The shop is overflowing with thousands of SS Rolex sports models. Shelves and shelves of them. They're only £100 each. The assistant tries to interest him with all kinds of offers. Two for one, lifetime warranty. Five sets of papers and cards, tags and stickers so it can be flipped many times. Spare links, a chauffeur driven car to take him home. Free whiskey, coffee, full meal, women are all available. The guy isn't interested and looks lovingly at his Timex. The assistant offers him 5, then 10, then 100 Rolex's for his Timex. The assistant then says, "Oh. You are so fortunate to own a Timex. Its my grail watch. I'll do anything for one". But the guy is having none of it. He's not parting with his Timex. After all, it cost him £14k. Timex's are so rare. The factory is restricting supplies and they cost a fortune on the grey market. He turns and walks out of the shop and down the road past the Timex AD which has a completely empty display window. Not a single watch is available. He doesn't go in because he knows its a 20 year waiting list. As he turns to leave, two guys on a moped approach at speed and mug him for his Timex. He picks himself up of the pavement and says, "If only I'd bought a Rolex".
    I don't know what you do for a living Tiny, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you aren't on first name terms with Harry Enfield.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I don't know what you do for a living Tiny, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you aren't on first name terms with Harry Enfield.
    It would be funny if it was him,eat my cheese

Mine is a bit mischievous. Thats just how I am.
    Unfortunately by being mischievous on an internet forum where you're not known (persona or personally) makes you appear as a troll. Instead, try making comments where you come across as happy and gay.

This forum has and continues to have a reputation for not suffering fools gladly- that stems from it's owner down. Personally I like and support that. It's a rare bastion of internet normality where if you can evidence your argument (and argue in it's true sense of the word) you garner respect. Also, there are some incredibly knowledgeable members here who willingly and openly share their knowledge/experience/contacts for free on a range of subjects and I hope that never gets derailed by new members acting the gobshite and watering down the forum relationships.

Welcome to the forum, we hope you share your watch histories and various journey's with us and partake successfully in the various sub forums. But you'd better buckle up your seatbelt Dorothy if you try and outsmart the forum. It will be a bloody bumpy ride with only one outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkHHoOIIn8

Master
    Wow! Chill man. Such anger from a little lightheartedness.

Wow! Chill man. Such anger from a little lightheartedness.
    Par for the course round here mate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Par for the course round here mate.
    Its quite amusing really.

Indeed.

Master
    There seem quite a few members who don't contribute much, if anything. Might that be related to an ethos of 'not suffering fools gladly', which is often just a polite description for bullying. People can't all be 'experts', and they shouldn't have to tip-toe through verbal assaults.
    The forum would be stronger with less of the aggression. The more contributors the better.

You're all deluded. I wrote that with no aggression whatsoever so that displays your mindsets but I tried to open your eyes to the fountain of knowledge here which is free. Many times I've read of members helping others in various ways. My thread was direct but with an olive branch to see where your humour lies.

In my job when I have new doctors on ward I always test them with a brief message which includes the word "teste". If they have a sense of humour they reply in jest. If they don't they usually point out I've written "teste" in a staid fashion. It's an informal way of gauging their humour and how they will work.

Good luck on this and other forums. I've no dog in this fight and I'm not late to this party but mine says hello.

Cheerio.
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 3rd April 2018 at 20:43.

Master
    There seem quite a few members who don't contribute much, if anything. Might that be related to an ethos of 'not suffering fools gladly', which is often just a polite description for bullying. People can't all be 'experts', and they shouldn't have to tip-toe through verbal assaults.
    The forum would be stronger with less of the aggression. The more contributors the better.
    I think you're right there. I think the best course is to just ignore the negativity. There's an old Indian saying relating to a camel caravan. It says, " The dogs may bark, but the caravan just carries on going".