closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My most accurate non-quartz watch is.....

Master

My most accurate non-quartz watch is.....

....a humble Seiko 5.

Just luck of the draw I guess, but the little 7S36 in this very versatile and wearable SNZ13 is currently keeping time at <1s/24hr. In fact over the last week it has been absolutely bang on! A nice surprise and not what I was expecting at all.

The watch is worn daily and kept face up on my bedside table at night. It used to gain 4 or 5 seconds per day, but has settled now to be super-accurate. It is used and abused and has a good few marks and scratches, but it just soldiers on. Not bad considering I only paid £80 for it.

Anyone else getting similar with inexpensive watches?
    Last edited by pstruck; 30th March 2018 at 15:35.

My most accurate watch:

Snap.

Nice. Are these things still available new in the UK?

Craftsman
    Not necessarily the most expensive . . . . . . . . . !

Stowa Flieger (ETA 2824-2 'Top') and Senator Excellence (GO Calibre 36) are about the same -- and better than the other mechanicals.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Nice. Are these things still available new in the UK?
    I got mine from Amazon for just over £100

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...JOL&ref=plSrch

Though when I bought it it was direct from Amazon, that exact link is another seller that I know nothing about

Journeyman
    My most accurate is my Sub Date, which gained 4 seconds in total between setting it last autumn for the clock change, and re-setting it last weekend when the clocks changed again.

Less than 1-sec a day, super comfortable and as far as watches go this ticks the most boxes for me of any watch I have owned.

Another lucky Seiko 5 - SNK121. Bought June 2015 and worn occasionally. Initially +2s/day, now pretty much spot on. Loses a second or so during the day but makes it up again face up during the night. It's been like this for over a year. I always expect it to go potty at some point, but it hasn't (yet).

My 2500c Planet Ocean.

I'm still wondering if they've managed to sneak a battery in somehow...

...it just doesn't gain or lose unless l leave it to run down on a table!

My SD4000 gains around a second a week if worn all week in the day and is left sat face up at night between wears.

Has to be this one, Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver SBGA029.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I got mine from Amazon for just over £100

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...JOL&ref=plSrch

Though when I bought it it was direct from Amazon, that exact link is another seller that I know nothing about
    £93 at Creation Watches and was £91 at Yorkshire Watches. Was.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have a 1980 Rolex Explorer11 and I slapped it in for service the day after I bought it. I time it over 28 days against time.is and it gains just 2 seconds. I have repeated that exercise twice and it is still only 2 seconds over 28 days. Not bad for a 38 year old mechanical watch.

Most accurate for me is my 16610, 0.5 seconds a day out. But that's not much in comparison with some of the accuracies posted here! Single digit second gains in months is astonishing for any automatic, even a decent Quartz.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Most accurate for me is my 16610, 0.5 seconds a day out. But that's not much in comparison with some of the accuracies posted here! Single digit second gains in months is astonishing for any automatic, even a decent Quartz.
    Naysayers moan about the buttock kissing of Rolex but the simple truth is that they go on for yonks, can take a bashing and still remain red hot on accuracy.

I unashamedly kiss their buttocks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Imo always found Citizen Miyota 82** auto calibre to keep rather good time.

My first auto was a 1995 Rolex 16610, it would gain approx 6-8seconds a day and at the age of 19-20 DROVE ME MAD. :(

Bry

P.S. saved up the princely sum of £1870 whilst working PT at Safeways.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    £93 at Creation Watches and was £91 at Yorkshire Watches. Was.

I looked at Yorkshire Watches, they're a lot more than that now, and I wasn't going to be buying from abroad.

Master
    My Tudor Pelagos is pled 1 second per day. Omega sea master aqua terra is plus 1.5. Amazing in my opinion for a mechanical watch.

My never serviced 8 year old Longines Legend Diver is bang on whenever I get it out of the box and wear it for a day or two.

Craftsman
    I’m in the process of timing my small collection. So far the winner, over two weeks of wearing and on night stand, is a 1961 IWC 853, which averages a gain of a second in 24hrs. Nothing as amazing as some of the others here but it brings me some joy. I will test my Seiko 5 Sports down the road and am hopeful for it given the experience of others. It’s about 10 years old and hasn’t been serviced so we shall see... It’s difficult though not including human error in taking readings - quite easy I think to be off myself by a second here and there.

I wondered at one point if it might be an amusingly geeky project to start a database of accuracy based on watchmakers’ and others’ timegraph measurements. Tricky though because to get some degree of commonality I suspect we’d need similar or the same procedures and conditions (in how many positions, for how long, etc).

Master
    My PAM 346 with the 8 day movement is super accurate, last time timed gained 1 second over 7 days. Very impressive.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by khumzi View Post
    I’m in the process of timing my small collection. So far the winner, over two weeks of wearing and on night stand, is a 1961 IWC 853, which averages a gain of a second in 24hrs. Nothing as amazing as some of the others here but it brings me some joy. I will test my Seiko 5 Sports down the road and am hopeful for it given the experience of others. It’s about 10 years old and hasn’t been serviced so we shall see... It’s difficult though not including human error in taking readings - quite easy I think to be off myself by a second here and there.
    Absolutely. Even though I had nothing to do with how it was made or how it's been serviced etc. it still really pleases me to have something strapped to my wrist that's entirely mechanical, being wound through my movement only, that is maintaining accuracy of 99.999%

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Has to be this one, Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver SBGA029.
    I'm not quite sure if that counts as non-quartz, though. ;)

Master
    My Explorer at -0.5 ish a day, although it is capable of picking up a tiny bit of time if placed in the right position. Never need to adjust it!

Master
    Aqua Terra Skyfall. Loses a second when worn during the day and gains a second when left crown up overnight. Even without a calculator I can work out that leaves it running spot on over 24 hours. Never deviates from this provided it is near full wind to start with.

Master
    My 2015 Daytona. Less than a second a fortnight.

Should be this:

In the 168 hours from 7am last Sunday to 7am this Sunday, total net gain of my recently-purchased Seiko 6R15: no more than half a second. I know it's a fluke, but that's not getting in the way of my being very pleased with it :)

Blog Entries
    Patek aquanaut

Master
    I have two Rolex watches and a Glashutte Original. All three run under two seconds a day. Good enough for me. Modern designs and construction have led to real Improvements in consistency.
    Spring-drives, while using a quartz regulator, have about 200 mechanical parts, so they have some claim to be considered. My last was accurate to about one second a month.
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th November 2018 at 09:25.

Master
    My Rolex Air king 14010 runs at +/- a second or so per day and always starts with one turn of the crown.

Journeyman
    My Oyster Perpetual 114300.

Craftsman
    My EBEL Chrono 137 about 2 secs a week.

Blog Entries
    Both go -1 second per day

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My most accurate watch:

Snap.
    And me cost £70

Master
    I bought an IWC Mark XV earlier this year. It was gaining something like 22 seconds per day. Brendan (Webwatchmaker) serviced it for me. In the last three weeks it has gained exactly two seconds.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Not necessarily the most expensive . . . . . . . . . !

Stowa Flieger (ETA 2824-2 'Top') and Senator Excellence (GO Calibre 36) are about the same -- and better than the other mechanicals.

Ridiculously (as it's a "lo-beat"), I posted the above before I owned this -- which just beats both . . . . .

Not bad for a 27 year old, does about +2 seconds a week in wear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Less than 1-sec a day, super comfortable and as far as watches go this ticks the most boxes for me of any watch I have owned.

One half of my dream pair!

Craftsman
    +0.5 seconds a day (gains 1 second every two days):

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I bought an IWC Mark XV earlier this year. It was gaining something like 22 seconds per day. Brendan (Webwatchmaker) serviced it for me. In the last three weeks it has gained exactly two seconds.
    Thank you Seabiscuit,
    These watches are so well made, like the legendary ETA 7750 they can, with care, be adjusted minutely.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Rolex exp ii gains a second a week since Brendan serviced it 2 years ago.
    Seiko stargate mark 1 7s26 is a second a day.
    Damasko da37 seems to keep perfect time thus far.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Whoah thanks chaps !

I won't get my head through the pub door tonight !

Some remarkable timekeeping with 0.5sec on some watches. Curious to know how you measure to that degree of precision? Against a phone - are they that accurate, or against something else?

While my day isn't governed to such a degree of timing, it would be good to know how it's done by owners of those super accurate watches!

David

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    Some remarkable timekeeping with 0.5sec on some watches. Curious to know how you measure to that degree of precision? Against a phone - are they that accurate, or against something else?

While my day isn't governed to such a degree of timing, it would be good to know how it's done by owners of those super accurate watches!

David
    I set the watch to my radio controlled clock then put it on the revolving carousel below for exactly 24 hours. Then fine regulate on the Timegraph according to gain or loss. This gets watches pretty close but ultimately it is a question of the owners daily wrist movements and wearing habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I set the watch to my radio controlled clock then put it on the revolving carousel below for exactly 24 hours. Then fine regulate on the Timegraph according to gain or loss. This gets watches pretty close but ultimately it is a question of the owners daily wrist movements and wearing habits.

Thank you for your reply Brendan. Your posts regarding watch-repair I always find interesting, not least your wall mounted "roundabout" for exact 24hr time checking - radio control clock and timegraph too; the sort of equipment that someone in your profession would own:)

But do those who claim such remarkable accuracy of half a second etc own such equipment?! The closest I can manage is comparison of a watch against my phone but I know that I couldn't declare such accuracy...by the time I shift my focus from my "master time piece", phone, to watch, I'll bet that would be more than 0.5 sec!

But as said earlier, nothing in my life is governed to such precision :)

David

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    Thank you for your reply Brendan. Your posts regarding watch-repair I always find interesting, not least your wall mounted "roundabout" for exact 24hr time checking - radio control clock and timegraph too; the sort of equipment that someone in your profession would own:)

But do those who claim such remarkable accuracy of half a second etc own such equipment?! The closest I can manage is comparison of a watch against my phone but I know that I couldn't declare such accuracy...by the time I shift my focus from my "master time piece", phone, to watch, I'll bet that would be more than 0.5 sec!

But as said earlier, nothing in my life is governed to such precision :)

David
    Setting a watch accurately to standardised timing equipment doesn't always work.
    I used to wear an Omega calibre 565 which I set to zero gain rate with my timers. It gained five seconds a day on my wrist, so I slowed it by five seconds. After that it was around 5 seconds a week !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I'm not quite sure if that counts as non-quartz, though. ;)
    It definitely doesn't, it's quartz.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    16660 serviced by rolex in 2016. Just doesnt deviate when being worn.

Apprentice
    My Sinn 556a is excellent, seems to only lose a few seconds a month.

It used to be my Alpha explorer, now its my PRS-25 incredible how accurate this watch is over the month, face up on the bedside table at nights... Stunning.