closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New pair of running kicks**now NEWER!

New pair of running kicks**now NEWER!

I just got home from our big running store in San Diego (Road Runner Sports) - - one of the largest such retailers in the U.S. - - and came home with a pair of once-used 2018 Hoka One One Gaviota running shoes.

Since they aren't "brand" new, I got them for $85 instead of the regular price of $150. I've had two other pair of Hoka One Ones ("O-nay O-nays") and they are incredible with their cushioning and comfort. I'm looking forward to getting 200-300 solid road miles out of these Gaviotas.
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 15th April 2018 at 07:40.

Look very comfortable. Never heard of the brand in the uk ? My go to are gt2000 ASICS last me a good year but only do 20k a week at the minute

Grand Master
    I’m a bit beyond the ‘new running shoes’ stage..........a new pair of achilles tendons and a new set of calf muscles are what I need.

Enjoy........you’re a lucky guy if you’re still running despite advancing years.

Paul

Blog Entries
    They looks good…. I only do around 20km a week…. Generally 3 runs…. My rule of thumb is to raise my heart rate above 120 for at least 25 mins 3 times a week…

Just back into it after twisting my ankle back in October playing football (soccer to you!) and really enjoying it…. Lower back is giving me a bit of a niggle now (recurring problem), so, will have to rest it for a week :-(

No confidence to go back to footy as I now it’s been weakened it’s prone to going again

Happy running mate 🏃

Good price.

I just purchased a pair of asic Gel Venture 6's for 70 euro, an off road shoe more heavily built and cushioned than some of their other models. I do much more trail running at present so these are working out to be ideal. Took them for a 14k from home to the coast last Saturday and they're great, tons of traction for scrambling over rocks and boulders too.

Happy trails.

Nice shoes...I run ultras and my local annual event is the 'Highland Fling', a 54 miler along the West Highland Way just north of Glasgow...it used to be sponsored by Hoka and you see a lot of ultra runners wearing Hokas thanks to their shock absorption..I tried a pair but found the midsole to be a bit too thick for me..can be a problem when running over technical sections (the Highland fling heads up the east bank of Loch Lomond and is a right scramble for at least 15 miles !)...Nice shoes though and they do have a great reputation if you can get on with them...me, I've ran in Asics Trabucos for years and more recently Gel ventures as you can't get the standard Trabucos any longer. Happy running !

Craftsman
    My wife, who's the runner in the house, always chooses Hoka shoes.
    Say's they're the most comfortable she's tried. Only downside is that they don't seem to last too long.

Another one for Hoka here.

Switched to them about 3 years ago after a back injury and have never suffered since. No joint aches either.

Done three IronMan marathons in them, would look at anything else now.

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I ran the Liverpool Half Marathon over the weekend - or should I say the Liverpool 20.7km road race!
    Just had an email from the organiser say due to a “school boy error” (his genuine words) the course was 400m short!
    Thought my PB was a bit easy.

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DACC View Post
    My wife and I ran the Liverpool Half Marathon over the weekend - or should I say the Liverpool 20.7km road race!
    Just had an email from the organiser say due to a “school boy error” (his genuine words) the course was 400m short!
    Thought my PB was a bit easy.

That’s soul destroying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunately it was a great day. Sun was out, cool and fantastic atmosphere. Just short!! Oh well, next year :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    Nice shoes...I run ultras and my local annual event is the 'Highland Fling', a 54 miler along the West Highland Way just north of Glasgow...it used to be sponsored by Hoka and you see a lot of ultra runners wearing Hokas thanks to their shock absorption..I tried a pair but found the midsole to be a bit too thick for me..can be a problem when running over technical sections (the Highland fling heads up the east bank of Loch Lomond and is a right scramble for at least 15 miles !)...Nice shoes though and they do have a great reputation if you can get on with them...me, I've ran in Asics Trabucos for years and more recently Gel ventures as you can't get the standard Trabucos any longer. Happy running !
    Which trail model did you try? I bought the Speedgoat two years ago and fell in love with it! It doesn't feel nearly as "tall" as the other models. The Speedgoat 2 is out now and has been getting rave reviews.

I always used to (pay through the nose in £ before online stores/eBay) and still buy top of the range Saucony or New Balance which I find very comfy. Surprised you didn't go for one of the Yeezys
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I always used to (pay through the nose in £ before online stores/eBay) and still buy top of the range Saucony or New Balance which I find very comfy. Surprised you didn't go for one of the Yeezys
    I bought a top level Boost a couple years ago but was very disappointed with both the cushioning (!) and the fit. My 'go to' shoe has mostly been the Nimbus.

I just ordered these Asics Gel-Nimbus 19 shoes. Unfortunately, the Hokas were hurting my feet beyond 4-5 miles. My other two styles of Hokas are great.

Master
    I need stability shoes, and had been using the Adidas Superboost ST (the ST being the stability model) but recently bought a pair or Brooks and been very impressed so far. Not just as soft as the Adidas, but very good.

The Adidas wore down very quickly, and the grip on the Brooks seems like it will hold up a lot better. I’d gladly use Asics too though. Last year I treated myself to a pair of “on running” and didn’t like them at all.

The soles were almost slippery.

Master
    I tend to buy top of the range Asics, normally a previous model from SportsShoes or from the Discount Outlet in Wembley, so well under half price. I only wear the shoes for running, and realised I had clocked up 700 miles on my last pair.

Last week, went into RunnersWorld Eastcote, and bought a pair of road Altras; and I am looking to up my mileage from the current 30-35 miles per week.

My original Hoka SpeedGoats pretty much wore out after three years so I just replaced them with the latest edition SpeedGoat 3. I'll try them out on the trail tomorrow. My original pair was 11.5 (US) but I had to move up to 12s with this model.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    My original Hoka SpeedGoats pretty much wore out after three years so I just replaced them with the latest edition SpeedGoat 3. I'll try them out on the trail tomorrow. My original pair was 11.5 (US) but I had to move up to 12s with this model.

New shoes on the table!! You must be mad. Nice looking kicks though. I've thought about trying some from Hoka as I'm a "larger" chap and need the extra cushioning for my 5k treadmill run / jog / limp

Master
    My go to are Asics Gel Kayano. Find them to be very supportive and my local parkrun is a little 'trail-like' so they ensure it does not get slippery. Also road run in them and they are great.

Would recommned them should anybody be looking for a new pair soon.

Recently also bought a pair of Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit, will give them a shot and report back...they apparently have a carbon fibre plate within the sole for added bounce!

This was a timely thread as I need an additional pair of running shoes given that I'm splitting my time between two cities, and will be for quite a few months yet.

I've not tried Hoka before but have just bought a pair of Clifton 5's online as they seem neutral and well-cushioned, and have consistently good reviews. I'm hoping they're nice and comfortable although I can return them if they're not. Lovely colour/design, too.

Craftsman
    I recently got a pair of New Balance ROAV, but haven't used them in anger yet.