closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What new guitar??

Master

What new guitar??

Hi

I have a significant birthday coming up and as I'm allegedly 'difficult to buy for' I have to come up with a few ideas for what I might want. Note I said 'want' and not 'need'.

One of the things that is buzzing around in my head is the opportunity to buy a new guitar. Now, I got a lot of help on here a couple of years ago when I bought my first guitar - I ended up with a Yamaha Pacifica which is lovely and I really like. I can't say that I use the Yamaha to its fullest extent by any means. Although I've been taking lessons and I practice when I can, I wouldn't say I'm very good, but I just like it.

Anyway, now that you have the back story - what suggestions do you have?? Early contender is a Fender Stratocaster - would be a Made in Mexico one. I would prefer new as opposed to used, unless there was a compelling reason to get a used one.

Finger in the air budget / something to aim at - £500.

Remember - I don't need a new one, but I would like one...

Cheers

I'd also recommend the Squier Vintage Modified Series. They're good and probably up there with the Mexican Strats, more or less. Provided you can't get a Fender with your "budget" that is.

In London, buying used/cash on collection on eBay or Gumtree, and with a bit of shopping around, your £500 could buy something quite nice; potentially a USA Strat or Tele instead of a Mex; or something like a Les Paul Junior or Studio. If it was me I'd be thinking on those lines.

Try and get a used made in USA Fender...you may squeak into the £500 bracket just. Big benefit is the quality is a big step up from Mexicans, plus you will never lost anything on resale at that price. I managed to snag a fantastic Made in USA Tele at the £400ish mark a couple,of years back on eBay.

Mexicans will drop to high £200s / low £300s upon resale. Have heard great stuff about Roadworn Mexican Fenders though but that’s more on the bass side. Japanese Fenders also have a decent rep and should be well within budget.

Master
    Acoustic maybe?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    Acoustic maybe?
    No, definitely electric.

Some good suggestions above, will look into some of those.

Any others??

Is there really a big difference between the Mexico and USA strats??

I haven't really looked into the Gibson style as yet. What is a good starting point to explore that option??

I wouldn't say that I have a particular style but I know I won't be doing any shredding, sweep picking or anything like that. Do like blues and rock so has to be something versatile and not a one trick pony or too compromised.

Happy to consider other brands, but don't know what ones to rule in/out.
    Last edited by bambam; 28th March 2018 at 00:23.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Is there really a big difference between the Mexico and USA strats??

I haven't really looked into the Gibson style as yet. What is a good starting point to explore that option??
    Yes, there is a sizeable difference in tone and playability between Mexican and US strats- however, there’s nothing wrong with Mexican made guitars by any means, and may well fit the bill if you aren’t too serious and enjoy playing for yourself.

For Fender guitars in your price range I’d be upping it slightly (or looking used) and considering a baja telecaster (have a google)- very versatile

For Gibson style guitars I’d be getting an epiphone (Gibson’s sister company - think Rolex/Tudor) BUT I’d pay a guy to set it up and put some better pickups in. I use bare knuckle pickups and they’re great, but have a look at Seymour Duncan’s as well. This way, you can decide if you want to sound like James Hetfield or Peter Green

Finally, the PRS SE series is great bang for your buck. They look and sound great and are a fantastic alternative to both the strat and the les Paul ie they do a good impression of both. Happy hunting- let us know what you go for

Spend the money on some more tuition instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    For Gibson style guitars I’d be getting an epiphone (Gibson’s sister company - think Rolex/Tudor) BUT I’d pay a guy to set it up and put some better pickups in. I use bare knuckle pickups and they’re great, but have a look at Seymour Duncan’s as well. This way, you can decide if you want to sound like James Hetfield or Peter Green
    Given that Epiphone aren’t made in the USA the Rolex/Tudor comparison doesn’t really hold up. Not that they aren’t nice guitars for the money, but if the OP is in the market for something like this LP Studio (and there are plenty at this price or even less) why not just buy a US guitar, especially as upgrading could end up costing nearly as much without adding equivalent value.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Le...AAAOSwG4FatRcP

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Given that Epiphone aren’t made in the USA the Rolex/Tudor comparison doesn’t really hold up. Not that they aren’t nice guitars for the money, but if the OP is in the market for something like this LP Studio (and there are plenty at this price or even less) why not just buy a US guitar, especially as upgrading could end up costing nearly as much without adding equivalent value.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Le...AAAOSwG4FatRcP
    Rolex/Tudor was only meant as a rough example, not as a direct comparison on every conceivable level. All I meant is Epiphone is set up to be Gibson’s more accessible sister company, as I understand it in a similar way as Tudor/ Rolex, nothing more.

It’s debatable and subjective, of course, but upgrading an epi lp standard gets you a nice guitar imo and I like having the options of different pickups etc so you don’t end up with the same guitar/ tone as everyone else- it’s part of the fun. I have owned both options and kept the epi, but I only speak from my own experience- having Gibson on the headstock is still nice admittedly (even though they have come under a great deal of flack recently, so US made is not necessarily the guarantee it used to be).

I don’t think the OP can go wrong with either option... and options was what he was after :)

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Rolex/Tudor was only meant as a rough example, not as a direct comparison on every conceivable level. All I meant is Epiphone is set up to be Gibson’s more accessible sister company, as I understand it in a similar way as Tudor/ Rolex, nothing more.

It’s debatable and subjective, of course, but upgrading an epi lp standard gets you a nice guitar imo and I like having the options of different pickups etc so you don’t end up with the same guitar/ tone as everyone else- it’s part of the fun. I have owned both options and kept the epi, but I only speak from my own experience- having Gibson on the headstock is still nice admittedly (even though they have come under a great deal of flack recently, so US made is not necessarily the guarantee it used to be).

I don’t think the OP can go wrong with either option... and options was what he was after :)
    I’ve gone down the upgrading route too with one of the Chinese fake Gibsons, very similar to an Epiphone (possibly made in the same factory) . It was an interesting project and the resulting guitar is good but I’d never sell it (I’d strip the hardware off it and destroy the neck/body) because of what it is. For what it cost I could and should have bought a LP Studio or Junior.

Push the boat out a little and get a Rick Turner, instantly you can play like Lindsey Buckingham!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BrVybDEbMc4
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I’ve gone down the upgrading route too with one of the Chinese fake Gibsons, very similar to an Epiphone (possibly made in the same factory) . It was an interesting project and the resulting guitar is good but I’d never sell it (I’d strip the hardware off it and destroy the neck/body) because of what it is. For what it cost I could and should have bought a LP Studio or Junior.
    Totally see where you’re coming from. My epiphone is 20 years old and is a bit of a triggers broom now but always played nicely and had GREAT tone out of the box so it could only ever get better. So often it’s luck of the draw- another tip to the op which may have already been mentioned is to get out there and play as many guitars as you can! The right one will likely jump out.

Sitting here doing a double face palm, lol. I think the comparison people are struggling for is Epiphone/Gibson vs. Squier/Fender :-)

At this price point, I'd worry less about where a guitar is made, and more about where/who you're buying it from. A nicely set up guitar from a shop that cares is likely to be much nicer than one via online order that's never been touched since it left the factory.

Apart from the Squiers already suggested, there are a few PRS models in your price range, such as the SE Standard 24 that you might want to have a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    At this price point, I'd worry less about where a guitar is made, and more about where/who you're buying it from. A nicely set up guitar from a shop that cares is likely to be much nicer than one via online order that's never been touched since it left the factory.
    Sorry to disagree, but it’s better in my opinion -especially at this price point- to get the best guitar you can for the money and then if it needs setting up there are plenty of people who will do that for you at a good price. A private deal from eBay or Gumtree will buy you the most guitar for the least money. The only caveat if you’re not confident checking over a prospective purchase is to take along with you someone who is.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Sitting here doing a double face palm, lol. I think the comparison people are struggling for is Epiphone/Gibson vs. Squier/Fender :-)
    Of course you’re correct, but the idea was to give the OP something roughly analogous OUTSIDE the guitar world, and as we are on a watch forum... ok, clumsy effort on my part

I was thinking that If he didn’t know the Epiphone/ Gibson relationship (and I was assuming he didn’t- he probably does though!) then there’s a strong chance he wouldn’t know the Squier/ Fender relationship, hence why I didn’t use this as a comparison!

Anyway- back to the OP- have you considered Gretsch guitars? A bit different to the usual suspects and certainly look the part.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/gretsch/...igsby-in-black

£500?

If it was me I'd go for a second hand US Standard Strat or a Les Paul Junior. Two great guitars.

That's what I did.

You're moving up from your first electric, get something iconic.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I got an immaculate Les Paul studio just before Xmas for £500 (there’s a thread on here somewhere). It looks as good as any new guitar you’d pick off the wall in a shop.

I’d have a look at fretboard.co.uk - there’s a Baja Tele (mentioned above) on there at the moment just under £500 - it still has its stickers on and someone else will take the 30%+ depreciation hit!

Guitars are like watches in so many ways...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

You're moving up from your first electric, get something iconic.
    That pretty much sums it up! That's why I was drawn to the Strat in the first place.

Greatly appreciate all the advice, pointers and opinions.

I have taken note of some of the options mentioned on here - particularly around the PRS/Gibson/Strat models. I don't know much about the PRS/Gibson models so will have a look into those a little more. The G&L ones appeal as well due to their history and connections to Leo Fender so will explore those too.

I did know about the Squier/Fender connection - my daughter has a Squier, but its good to get some user experiences and opinions on how they stack up.

One of the Fender models I saw online today was the Roadhouse Deluxe - comes loaded with a pre-amp. Not sure I'd want that but it was interesting to read about it.

There seem to be so many options out there - choice of pick-ups (vintage; noiseless; 50's etc); configuration (HSS, SSS etc.); fret size; neck size etc.

To help me narrow it down I'm going to start trying a few to see which ones I get on with.

I'd prefer new as opposed to used, but I take the point that I might be able to get one that is pretty much new.

Cheers chaps

Craftsman
    Just bought a preloved Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat and a Fender Mustang modelling amp. Rave reviews for both. Waiting for postman! Check out Andertons YouTube channel for some great reviews of all sorts of gear.
    Last edited by djacks42; 30th March 2018 at 09:09.

Master
    Little bit of an update. The current fave is the PRS SE Custom 24. Does anyone here have one? I like the look of the limited editions with the maple necks, think they're from late 2017. Like these - https://www.andertons.co.uk/prs-ltd-...-trem-w-gigbag

Any thoughts on these? Planning to pop into a few shops this week to have a hands-on look.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Push the boat out a little and get a Rick Turner, instantly you can play like Lindsey Buckingham!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BrVybDEbMc4
    A Model 1 will set you back a minimum of £2000 with an LB signature model costing £6000.

Master
    Little bit of an update. The current fave is the PRS SE Custom 24. Does anyone here have one? I like the look of the limited editions with the maple necks, think they're from late 2017. Like these - https://www.andertons.co.uk/prs-ltd-...-trem-w-gigbag

Any thoughts on these? Planning to pop into a few shops this week to have a hands-on look.

I do have a PRS SE, not a custom 24 but a single cutaway (basically the PRS take on a Les Paul, Far Eastern version).

It's not up there with my three US-made PRSes but it is honestly a better made and playing guitar than either Gibson Les Paul I've owned. I think you'll be impressed. I must say I like the look of those maple fingerboard PRSes myself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I do have a PRS SE, not a custom 24 but a single cutaway (basically the PRS take on a Les Paul, Far Eastern version).

It's not up there with my three US-made PRSes but it is honestly a better made and playing guitar than either Gibson Les Paul I've owned. I think you'll be impressed. I must say I like the look of those maple fingerboard PRSes myself.
    How do you find the scale length? Hadn’t really considered it before but trying a couple of PRS guitars today and wasn’t sure if my fingers felt more bunched up at the 12th fret than on a strat. The strats seemed more what I am used to but the PRS look gorgeous!

Anyone plays or played both?

How do you find the scale length?

Either look it up on the specs or measure it. As a general rule (there are exceptions), most guitars are either Fender-ish (25.5"), or Gibson-ish (24.75"). PRS are weird and use 25", not many others do. I say Fender-ish or Gibson-ish because although most guitars from those manufacturers conform the their respective lengths, not all do.

I tend to prefer to play the 25.5" but tend to prefer the sound of 24.75", although it doesn't bother me that much which I play, I adjust quickly. Never really played a PRS long enough to make a decision.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Either look it up on the specs or measure it. As a general rule (there are exceptions), most guitars are either Fender-ish (25.5"), or Gibson-ish (24.75"). PRS are weird and use 25", not many others do. I say Fender-ish or Gibson-ish because although most guitars from those manufacturers conform the their respective lengths, not all do.

I tend to prefer to play the 25.5" but tend to prefer the sound of 24.75", although it doesn't bother me that much which I play, I adjust quickly. Never really played a PRS long enough to make a decision.
    I actually meant 'how do you find the scale length to play'?

Master
    Bought a new Mexico Fender Mustang a few months ago, absolutely love it and has become my go to, absolute joy to play.

Master
    Was having a chat with Mrs Bambam yesterday and it went something like this:

Her: So what guitar have you decided on then?
    Me: Not sure, been looking at these - show her pics of the PRS Se Custom
    Her: They look nice, thought you wanted a Fender? Show me some of those
    Me: Here you go
    Her: That one looks nice
    Me: That is a made in Mexico one, the range goes like (cue boring her stupid with the ranges or starting to anyway)
    Her: (cutting me short) I thought you wanted a Fender, if you're going to get one for your birthday, get an iconic one
    Me: Umm, Ok. The Mexican ones are ££X
    Her: Get an American one, you want the real deal don't you?
    Me: I'll have a look

So, upshot is that I'm now taking a look at the American Professional range which is much more expensive but which she seems to think is in budget.

Any thoughts on that range? My playing ability doesn't justify anything like an American Strat but there again I don't dive and have a dive watch.

Women eh? Think she’s looking ahead to her own significant birthday in a few years.
    Last edited by bambam; 3rd May 2018 at 12:11.

Go to a music shop and plan to spend a good two-three hours there. Play everything you like the look of and get a feel for the necks, scale etc. You might find one that you don’t want to put down or you might not.

I bought a 52 RI telly a few years ago... I sold it when the first little guy was born as we could use the money. I regret it now as we didn’t really need the money and I have never been able to find another guitar that I liked as much since then. When you find the right one you’ll know!

In terms of electric I play them in stores without plugging them in. Different amp will make them sound different of course, so my advice would be to get a feel and awareness of how the guitar resonates and overtones as it were. After you narrow it down to two-three then plug them in.

It may take a few years to find the one or it might not... good luck and happy hunting!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Go to a music shop and plan to spend a good two-three hours there. Play everything you like the look of and get a feel for the necks, scale etc. You might find one that you don’t want to put down or you might not.

I bought a 52 RI telly a few years ago... I sold it when the first little guy was born as we could use the money. I regret it now as we didn’t really need the money and I have never been able to find another guitar that I liked as much since then. When you find the right one you’ll know!

In terms of electric I play them in stores without plugging them in. Different amp will make them sound different of course, so my advice would be to get a feel and awareness of how the guitar resonates and overtones as it were. After you narrow it down to two-three then plug them in.

It may take a few years to find the one or it might not... good luck and happy hunting!
    Thanks. I spent a while in a shop earlier in the week and liked the feel of the Fenders more than the PRS but put that down partly to my own lack of ability more than anything else. I'm going to try a few more a bit higher up the chain as well as the slightly cheaper ones as I hear what you're saying about feel and how you might just get on with one particular example and not others.

Can I ask - what is a good way to try them out - as in, do you have a particular set of chords, notes etc. that you like to try out and use that to give you a feel?

Cheers

Master
    If i were you i'd go for a G&L over a Fender any day.

You can get great used prices on them and i personally find them far superior to Fender.

I ref to how to try them out, just play whatever you like as link as you cover the whole neck. Listen for buzzing strings or notes choking off too soon, check your harmonics at the 12th fret for intonation.
    Last edited by EchoSevenNine; 3rd May 2018 at 14:38.

Master
    What is the guitar market cycle? By that I mean, is there a time that most manufacturers release new models etc? Bit like the cycle manufacturers release their new models and the older ones normally drop a little. Just wondering if there is a better time to buy, or does it not really matter? (This is for buying new as opposed to used).

Cheers

Master
    How do you find the scale length? Hadn’t really considered it before but trying a couple of PRS guitars today and wasn’t sure if my fingers felt more bunched up at the 12th fret than on a strat. The strats seemed more what I am used to but the PRS look gorgeous!

Anyone plays or played both?
    I really get on great with the PRS scale length and when I had my Les Paul made, I had Sid Poole use the same scale. It seems to give it a bit more twang and substance. I can't be sure about the effect on the sound because the wood and the construction is of a much higher standard than a Gibson, with a ringy natural resonance. But it feels more comfortable and natural to play for me.

Good point... so I start with playing each fret one at a time on each string listening for buzzes and overall intonation.... intonation awareness might only happen if you know what you’re listening for... if not take a tuner.

Basically what you’re doing Is listening if the guitar is still in tune at the 12th fret. If it’s not the guitar needs a setup. You can also check the intonation (trueness and bend of the neck) harmonically but if you’re not there yet just take a tuner with you.

With reference to what to play... just play whatever you do at home but keep the guitar in your hand....you want to feel if the neck is comfortable for you when you play for more than ten minutes at a time. I would probably spend a few minutes playing chords, then maybe a song, then maybe some notes/scales... then back to strumming... basically just keeping my hand on the guitar. After you play a few you’ll see which one feels the best in your hand... then you choose if you want the one that feels the best or the one you like the looks of.

Back to my telecaster.... since I’ve sold mine I’ve probably played another 15-20 trying to find ‘that one’ again. It hasn’t happened yet... so if you decide you want a particular guitar model or design... also try to play as many of those models as you can until you get the look and feel that you’re after. Even if they are factory made small tolerances in the manufacturing process can leave two of the same guitars feeling different. IMHO

Have a great time and enjoy the search!

Another vote for a G&L over Fender from me too. I have an S-500 (Stratocaster) and a Tribute (Telecaster). I'd buy both over a Fender equivalent any day.

However it's all down to personal taste and how a guitar feels in your hand. So get out there, try as many as possible and have some fun, you're in a great position.

Cheers,
    Gary

What is the guitar market cycle? By that I mean, is there a time that most manufacturers release new models etc? Bit like the cycle manufacturers release their new models and the older ones normally drop a little. Just wondering if there is a better time to buy, or does it not really matter? (This is for buying new as opposed to used).

Cheers
    It's about half way through the 'model year'.

Decide on single coils or humbuckers then just get the one you like the look of best and your favourite colour.

A decent set up can make anything feel great.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Decide on single coils or humbuckers then just get the one you like the look of best and your favourite colour.

A decent set up can make anything feel great.
    Thanks. That's what's going through my mind at the moment - SSS or HSS. The Pacifica I have has a HSS set-up and I don't really use the hum bucker pick-up very much, but its nice to know that its there. The SSS on the other hand is the classic strat set-up. I'm not a metal head by any stretch but I do like blues, rock etc.

Another visit to a shop I think...

Master
    I have an HSS Strat but had the wiring modified to coil tap the humbucker giving me essentially a SSS setup when required. I find it very versatile but you do lose one of the tone pots, although I never used the two separately anyway to be honest. My HSS Pacifica came set up like this from the factory so yours is probably the same?
    Last edited by benny.c; 5th May 2018 at 11:20.

When I had a USA deluxe strat I swapped out the standard noiseless pickups with some kinman woodstock+ pups on the kinman wiring harness (ingenious) this gives many different switching options by allowing you to blend pickups. They do set ups for all strat layouts. You should have a look at their website for some options. Their pickups sound fenominal and are noiseless too

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I have an HSS Strat but had the wiring modified to coil tap the humbucker giving me essentially a SSS setup when required. I find it very versatile but you do lose one of the tone pots, although I never used the two separately anyway to be honest. My HSS Pacifica came set up like this from the factory so yours is probably the same?
    Yes, the Pacifica is like this from new.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    When I had a USA deluxe strat I swapped out the standard noiseless pickups with some kinman woodstock+ pups on the kinman wiring harness (ingenious) this gives many different switching options by allowing you to blend pickups. They do set ups for all strat layouts. You should have a look at their website for some options. Their pickups sound fenominal and are noiseless too

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks - good to know. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a SSS set-up from new as I could always add a beefier pick-up or change the wiring controls at a later stage if needed. I like the idea of a HSS but looking back, I haven't really used the humbucker on the Pacifica very often. I'll still have the Pacifica if I needed a humbucker I suppose.

Do the new strat pickups have a hum? Is the hum that people talk about on a Strat actually noticeable? My thinking at the moment is that I'd like to get something that is a very good base and if I needed to mod it then I could, although I would probably just get another one if I wanted a specific feature. Or, I might get something now that I can keep as is and at some point in the future, get something that I could use as a modding platform.

Any other opinions or thoughts on SSS vs HSS, especially if anyone has tried the two options on the Fender Pro strats?

Cheers

Yes, the Pacifica is like this from new.

Thanks - good to know. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a SSS set-up from new as I could always add a beefier pick-up or change the wiring controls at a later stage if needed. I like the idea of a HSS but looking back, I haven't really used the humbucker on the Pacifica very often. I'll still have the Pacifica if I needed a humbucker I suppose.

Do the new strat pickups have a hum? Is the hum that people talk about on a Strat actually noticeable? My thinking at the moment is that I'd like to get something that is a very good base and if I needed to mod it then I could, although I would probably just get another one if I wanted a specific feature. Or, I might get something now that I can keep as is and at some point in the future, get something that I could use as a modding platform.

Any other opinions or thoughts on SSS vs HSS, especially if anyone has tried the two options on the Fender Pro strats?

Cheers

All single coils will have noise, it's why "hum"buckers were invented.

Modern US Strats have a reverse wound centre pickup which makes positions 2 & 4 humbucking so you have that option.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Is there any risk that an American fender could be worse than a Pacifica, or is that an 1990s thing? Are the made in Japan Fenders still the most sought after?

Master
    All single coils will have noise, it's why "hum"buckers were invented.

Modern US Strats have a reverse wound centre pickup which makes positions 2 & 4 humbucking so you have that option.
    Ah yes, I'd forgotten that the modern strats allow you to select bridge and middle together for example. So I presume that any 'hum' that I have on my Pacifica will be similar to a strat? Reason I ask is that I haven't noticed any hum on the Pacifica. So if the Fender strats are the same/similar then its a non-issue. I know the pick-ups are different and the ones on the Fender should be a lot better and more powerful than on the Pacifica.

Didn't get the chance to get to the shops on Friday as got waylaid with some other stuff but the plan is to pop into a couple when I'm in London on Tuesday. Mainly to get a feel for the Fender American Pro strats and see the colour choices in person. From the pictures I like the Antique Olive with the maple fingerboard and the black pick guard, but quite like the Sonic Grey as well.

The more I look, the more I realise what a capable instrument the Pacifica is...still, won't let that stop me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Is there any risk that an American fender could be worse than a Pacifica, or is that an 1990s thing? Are the made in Japan Fenders still the most sought after?
    I wouldn't have thought that the USA ones would be any worse than a Pacifica, they should be a lot better. I'm going to see a few next week so will be able to compare how they feel and sound compared the Pacifica I have. My Pacifica has a maple fingerboard, HSS set-up with a coil-tap and I have it set-up quite low. I haven't really used the tremolo on it.

Master
    With your budget I would take a serious look at this

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-stan...ed-maple/52883

Rob

Gibson have gone bust so you never know, there might be bargains coming.

This would be very nice...

https://www.mansons.co.uk/product/pr...sunburst-10618
    Last edited by Scrubnut; 6th May 2018 at 18:00.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post

Unlikely.

After playing cheaper guitars the US Strat I bought new in 1989 was in a completely different league.

The Japanese Fenders were very good but usually came with awful cheap electrics and pickups that needed replacing. Today's Mexican Fenders which replaced them in the range are fine quality and reasonably priced.

I've got a Mex Classic series 60's Strat and it is faultless. Lovely pickups and good quality electrics too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Update to this thread:

In the end I went for a Fender Pro American Strat in antique olive with maple neck. Got it just the other day before going on holiday so other than a quick strum it had to wait till I was back from the sun and sea.

Played it a little since I've been back and it is lovely. Very happy with it. Am hoping that the maple neck yellows a bit but its not a particularly white maple to start with so no rush on that.

Haven't had it set up or changed anything as yet - will play it for a while and then see what I think I might want adjusted. Its far more guitar that my playing abilities can do justice to.

I have to say a massive thank you to Mike (Ghosty) for sorting it out for me and even dropping it off the day it arrived with him. I decided one that was brand new as opposed to having sat around in a shop for a while and he was able to sort it out for me. If you ever need anything music related I can recommend him wholeheartedly. Thanks Mike.

Gratuitous picture:

Last edited by bambam; 7th August 2018 at 14:54.