closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heads up for dog owners

Heads up for dog owners

There has been a sharp increase in cases of Alabama Rot in dogs here in the UK of late.

It is a very nasty disease and needs to be spotted asap if there's going to be any chance of the affected animal surviving it.

Our local vets have reported two cases in the last fortnight and sadly it was too late to save the dogs.

More info here: http://www.countryfile.com/news/alab...-you-need-know

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Thanks for posting

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Very helpful. Thanks R.

Craftsman
    Useful info. Thanks.

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting!

Ours love a mud bath in the New Forest, so definitely something I'll keen in mind!

We have had to be continually diligent these past few years due to living in one of the so called

Hot Spots here in the New Forest.

Sound move to highlight it again though, Ralphy, for those not fully conversant with this terrible disease.

Muddy dog after walkies, give 'em a wash down and a check around their paws for any cuts, sores, lesions etc. For some piece of mind until the next walk

Forgot to say, our vet recommended applying Hibiscrub if we see anything untowards on the dog's skin, esp. around the paw area as that's where it had been first noticed on their client's dogs.

We've now got a bottle in the cupboard.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Good info thanks for sharing our boxer seems to be part hippo when it comes to mud

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Good info thanks for sharing our boxer seems to be part hippo when it comes to mud
    Spaniels: unerringly capable of finding mud in the driest of environments.

SOP:

R

Blog Entries
    I’d never heard of it... thanks for sharing

The boys will always get muddy as that is what the boys do... i’m always diligent about removing it as the house would get trahed! Will be keep a look out for symptoms none the less

Only 40 cases fortunately... but, your right draw attention to it

Very strange one today - we heard this morning that my brother-in-law’s mum was really enjoying bonding with her newly-adopted rescue dog (which she’s had a week) but was taking it to the vet’s as it seemed a little off.

By dinner time, the dog had been put down and those in contact with it had been told to wash themselves and their clothes before contact with other animals.

I immediately thought of this thread, but don’t have any further details as yet....

Blog Entries
    Wow thats pretty scary. As the owner of a mud hunting spaniel especially so!

Thanks for posting will take precautions where possible.

Master
    Some more info here

http://alabamarot.co.uk

There were 40 cases last year and already 27 this year. So whilst a small number it is increasing. 90% of confirmed cases have been diagnosed in winter and Spring.
    Not a lot you can do other than wash them- although it’s not certain exactly what the cause is but, in most cases it’s fatal. Look out for cuts and sores

Really worrying, looking at the map on that site there don't seem to be many places not at risk - just East Anglia that don't have a confirmed case on there but I guess that doesn't mean that there haven't been unreported cases.

Really worrying this as they have no idea what is causing it. Where I am we also have huge issues with palm oil washing up which is also killing dogs. Clyde ate some a few weeks ago and we were lucky that we got him to a vets in time. Stomach pumped and morphine injections. That was after he tried to eat a jellyfish last summer and got stung and poisoned!

It sounds soft but we adopted this fella aged five months last Easter and he has changed our lives significantly for the better. I would be lost without him now. He was dumped in a cement bag on Crete with his sister (Bonnie) to die. Rescued by a charity and taken to Cumbria and the rest is history. He is our little asylum seeking bundle of joy. Well actually not that little..... he has legs like a bloody pony and now weighs 28kg.

Worrying stuff Ralphy, never heard of it before reading it in the paper yesterday.

Fortunately Dot won't go out in the wet and avoids any mud.
    Cheers,
    Neil.