closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Blacklisted Phones - Unlocking Options

Blacklisted Phones - Unlocking Options

Hi,

I have a new Iphone 8 which I have discovered has been blacklisted by Vodafone. And before anyone ask, no, I didn't steal it and Vodafone are aware that I have the phone in my ownership.

As I understand it this is one step up from being locked to the Network and therefore cannot be unlocked by using a Vodafone Sim for 30 days as usual.

I believe I can have it removed from the 'blacklist' remotely but that then it will only work overseas away from the local UK blacklist.

Is anyone aware of any other methods of unlocking the phone fully or is my only option to use the device as a Camera/Ipod/Browsing device?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Blacklisted Phones - Unlocking Options

Two things it can be blacklisted by network and then also Apple ID locked , network unbarring on Voda no backdoor route at present other networks yes

Apple ID removing yes but even then just a Apple camera and WiFi device due to network bar, handset can be unlocked to use abroad but again that’s only if no Apple ID on it

Vodafone may well remove bar if they have reasonable proof to do so

If was sold to you can then barred due to insurance and you can prove reasonable steps taken networks will often unbar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Apple ID/Cloud is not locked as it's never been used.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    So at some point it’s been reported lost or stolen - I’m pretty sure there is no other option than it being used abroad or as an iPod/paperweight

If there has been an insurance claim on it you probably aren’t the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If there has been an insurance claim on it you probably aren’t the owner.
    Its a good question. The only owner who could make a claim is likely to be Vodafone. They've not asked for it back and they are aware I have the phone.

If I was being an 'angel', I could drop it back at a Vodafone store but then that would cost them to put it through the system and I suspect could never sell it as a 100% new phone anyway.

The whole identity theft thing was a stressful and time consuming few days so I guess I see this as some kind of compensation for the firms allowing this to happen in the first place.

It's not even simply that it's lost or stolen - a lot of the T&C for the mobile networks now have a clause in them that they might blacklist phones if the original owner defaults on the contract within a certain time period and the ownership doesn't past to them until they have passed this period.

The other most common reason is that the phone has been bought via identity theft.

Is anyone aware of any other methods of unlocking the phone fully

Yes but you can get five years inside and a criminal record for doing this in the UK so I wouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Yes but you can get five years inside and a criminal record for doing this in the UK so I wouldn't bother. [/COLOR]
    Well yes that was the other conclusion I was coming to.

Can blocked iphones even be used abroad, I’m sure I read a while ago that they couldn’t.

How exactly have you come across the phone as that may be a reason for getting the bar lifted. Currently working in London and sit near their IT team and they manage all the corporate phones and they are continually barring and unbarring phones as users report them lost and then found.

Craftsman
    Only the network that originally blacklisted the handset can remove the blacklist. It’s illegal for anyone else to remove it , the dodgy way is done by changing the IMEI.
    As for working abroad it depends on if the network has blacklisted it just for the UK or not. If it was never used/opened it was probably a transit blacklist like a failed delivery or similar, the handset will be owned by the original network.

just sell it on ebay honestly as not being usable in the uk - not tested anywhere else - so for parts basically

Dump it - not worth the trouble and angst trying to do anything else.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........