closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear

Master
    Blog Entries

Top Gear

Great episode tonight, loved the end bit gate crashing countryfile.
    Last edited by Middo; 25th March 2018 at 21:23.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I turned it on at the interview with the actress, it was toe curling slow,dull and laboured I switch over after 5 minutes.

Blog Entries
    Got to say, I prefer Top Gear to the Grand Tour. GT is the same old contrived bollocks, you could say TG is the same but with different presenters but it’s more polished.

Master
    I'm not fond of Matt LeBlanc's delivery, it's like Joey playing the Fonz - and I'm afraid Rory is annoyingly amateur and wooden in everything he does. If Rory had a YouTube channel nobody would be watching it.

Other than that, the content is pretty good and the BBC seem to have upped the budget to fight off the Amazon competition. However, I would love them to do something in a different format - I'm tiring of the same old guff/different car and The Stig running joke is running on empty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I'm not fond of Matt LeBlanc's delivery, it's like Joey playing the Fonz - and I'm afraid Rory is annoyingly amateur and wooden in everything he does. If Rory had a YouTube channel nobody would be watching it.

Other than that, the content is pretty good and the BBC seem to have upped the budget to fight off the Amazon competition. However, I would love them to do something in a different format - I'm tiring of the same old guff/different car and The Stig running joke is running on empty.
    I think top gear has improved this series although I don’t love it, funny you should say that about the stig because I’ve just had the exact same conversation with my better half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think top gear has improved this series although I don’t love it, funny you should say that about the stig because I’ve just had the exact same conversation with my better half

Yeah, interesting how that has not aged well... 10 years ago I had a steess doll from the sting..

I just think the show content is poor
    Tonight a top end 800bhp Ferrari slogging around a track
    Who’s bothered really?

The tank muscle car feature was much better but dragged on way too long

Then it got stupid so I turned it off

The presented need to present and stop using a script that feeds obvious joking lines that don’t work

Star in a car yawn is so boring now

It’d be good to see a Best Buy feature
    Or a “high street brands” group test
    Or haggling on prices exercise
    Or dealership hidden cam exercises

It’s just not real
    I’m prob missing the point as an element of fantasy ownership must stay I guess

Fifth gear was a better programme

It would be good to have a shomprovide useful car information. Reliability, real world fuel consumptions, Best hothatch, best estate etc. etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It would be good to have a shomprovide useful car information. Reliability, real world fuel consumptions, Best hothatch, best estate etc. etc.
    Exactly, but some has to watch that crap. Poor do in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    It’d be good to see a Best Buy feature
    Or a “high street brands” group test
    Or haggling on prices exercise
    Or dealership hidden cam exercises

Fifth gear was a better programme

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

They tried that before Clarkson’s era and it was canned because it was so boring nobody watched it!

It’s an entertainment show based around cars (and a few bikes now JC’s gone); I agree the format’s getting a bit long in the tooth but I’d still rather watch American muscle cars than the pros and cons of a Hyundai i10!

Really enjoying this series of TG.

Series 2 of TGT was a huge improvement over S1 too.

Neither are perfect, but both now very watchable.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watch the segment where they show rossi and Lorenzo battling it out.
    The commentary was so flat and uninspired they made something that was extremely exciting as dull as watching pub darts.

Top Gear

Is dire.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

MLB is certainly a bit wooden, almost like watching someone read autocue on half speed, but outside the studio he fares better. Rory tries a bit hard, not a fan tbh. Chris does pretty well. Besides all that there have been enough v8's and other stuff this series to keep me interested. The Japan car culture piece was pretty good, the tank and Sherp were cool too. Sabine was entertaining scaring the crap out of Rory last night.

Star in a reasonably quick car normally bores me but the girl last night was quite entertaining in the car, seemed to be really trying hard and it showed.

If anyone thinks a car show where some bloke in a cardigan prattles on about the new Kia Beige getting 38.7mpg in the combined cycle whilst towing a caravan would be entertainment, you need your head examining.

I bet MLB doesn't write his own script. Clarkson did and was much the funnier and more articulate. And brighter by far.

Master
    Rory? Should rename him Snorey, as he sends me to sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by nr73 View Post
    If anyone thinks a car show where some bloke in a cardigan prattles on about the new Kia Beige getting 38.7mpg in the combined cycle whilst towing a caravan would be entertainment, you need your head examining.
    Might be informative though.

Craftsman
    Think Top Gear has improved and is now pretty good. Its better than TGT, Amazon are binning TGT, so they are not impressed either.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Me too. Not all of it is perfect but there are genuine signs of proper quality and I think slowly but surely it is bedding in nicely. I thought the opening piece on the Ferrari Superfast this week was beautifully shot and nicely pitched.

That's not saying much. The Grand Tour is really kind of pathetic. They should know better, particularly James May who is demeaned by the brain dead, sniggering, adolescent boy-level 'humour'.

A great deal of Top Gear is watchable, enjoyable even. I don't find much of The Grand Tour either watchable or enjoyable. It needs putting out of its misery.

Martin
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 26th March 2018 at 17:21.

Craftsman
    Caught an episode from about 8 years ago the other day, superb photography excellent music and great content, before it became silly.

Master
    As others have said there are hits and misses to TG but on the whole I am enjoying it. I like MLB and have liked RH for years, Rory I can take or leave (mostly leave to be honest.....). I want there to be more crazy car reviews partly because I could afford some of them (some....) but mostly because it’s fun. The could do less of the wacky crap imo, some it it is fun but they let it go on too long.

Also a show about cars that regular folks can afford would be so bloody dull!! Fifth gear tried to do that kind of thing for years and it constantly failed and they could never get the presenters or format right.

As for TGT it is unwatchable rubbish, feed like some old people cashing in before Amazon come to their senses. Any magic the 3 of them had died years ago. Time to let that go I think.

Master
    Still reckon it's the best auto show on telly, but the presenters are shite and the funny/quirky features are waaaay too long. I miss the old guard to be honest, I really liked MLb last year but he's really grating on me now, does he know there isn't a laughter-track on Top Gear? It's not like Friends where the producers tell you when to laugh, here he needs to be actually funny.

String me up for it by all means but I miss Chris Evans, I thought he had a much more natural delivery.

Master
    If Rory had a YouTube channel nobody would be watching it.
    Er: https://m.youtube.com/user/rory79

Which is why he was given the role....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I bet MLB doesn't write his own script. Clarkson did and was much the funnier and more articulate. And brighter by far.
    I thought Richard Porter wrote the scripts for TG and now TGT?

Top Gear scripts were written by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May, Richard Porter and Andy Wilman.

The same team write the scripts for The Grand Tour, although at times it's hard to believe.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    I can only just tolerate it as I do still quite enjoy GT, however who the hell thought it would be a good idea for Chris Harris to act a dummy all the time? As a serious journalist I wouldn't have thought pretending you lack intelligence is such a good persona to be acquainted with .

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    Me too. Not all of it is perfect but there are genuine signs of proper quality and I think slowly but surely it is bedding in nicely. I thought the opening piece on the Ferrari Superfast this week was beautifully shot and nicely pitched.
    MLB’s commentary on the Superfast was pretty superficial, but the pause at Tamburello was quite moving (for me at least) and WHAT AN ENGINE!

Chris Harris "quite liked" the GT3 - see the accompanying Extra Gear.
    Last edited by andy tims; 27th March 2018 at 13:39.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

i agree, but I still think they could both drop the "star in a car" bit as who cares!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Personally I think it still has a following as there's nothing else on at that time of day and very little else seems to be aimed at the demographic. Let's face it if you aren't interested in cooking, dancing or inane soaps there's not a huge amount left to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Is dire.
    As is,

Strictly,

Bake off,

Cake off,

Saturday morning cooking programs, too many to itemise,

Antiques whatever,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Upped the budget or just spending the millions they’ve saved binning off clarkson et al on production?

Star in a car is bollcks, was good with jay kay/ Tom cruise/ Simon cowell ie real “stars” but with virtual nobodies appearing, what’s the point?

I record the programmer and watch it an hour later so I can forward through that segment.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Upped the budget or just spending the millions they’ve saved binning off clarkson et al on production?

Star in a car is bollcks, was good with jay kay/ Tom cruise/ Simon cowell ie real “stars” but with virtual nobodies appearing, what’s the point?

I record the programmer and watch it an hour later so I can forward through that segment.
    Clarkson et al earned them millions and more millions. He owes them nothing. They could have tripled the old TG's budget and still reap a sizeable profit. With a worldwide audience of 350m per episode it was nothing except a financial crown in the BBC's coffers.

Which, when one does some reading/research, indicates the BBC were strangling the old TG budget significantly. Albeit, another side of the story, it suggests why it crashed.

Clarkson et al earned them millions and more millions. He owes them nothing. They could have tripled the old TG's budget and still reap a sizeable profit. With a worldwide audience of 350m per episode it was nothing except a financial crown in the BBC's coffers.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I think that the BBC will struggle to syndicate "new" Top Gear. As you say, worldwide sales of the CHM version were a goldmine for the BBC, and I'll happily watch repeats on Dave, but I wouldn't bother watching any repeats of the current offering.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

The biggest difference for me between the old and new TGs are the presenters in a studio setting. Clarkson, May and Hammond were great with the crowd and Clarkson's SIARPC was often brilliant, whereas LeBlanc, Rory and Harris are as stiff as boards. Out of the studio the new team loosen up and have actually made some very entertaining pieces, these are the better parts of "new" TG.

Rory actually got the TG job off the back of his YT channel, so someone must have been watching him.

The secret to enjoying Top Gear is winding through most of it at 32x Fast Forward....so the highlights in the last episode were the piece about the Ferrari Superfast and John Craven/Ellie

Craftsman
    Started watching it again, not sure why but it's not as bad as I thought it was. Matt the bore is just that, yes it's scripted but he makes it sooo much worse than it should be...

Master
    MLB reads his scripts well.
    CH can't act.
    Rory's either scripted to be a clown or is one. It's hard to tell.
    And Sabine's even worse than CH.

However, the nub of the matter remains, 'Why, why, why did they copy the old TG?' What a silly thing to do.

Journeyman
    I’ve been out of the country for a couple of years so haven’t caught the New Top Gear, other than odd episodes on channels in hotels. I watched at 8 on Sunday night, just like in the old days.

It was pathetic. Every single aspect was sorry.

It was boring, humourless and all of the presenters were utterly terrible. None of them should be on a programme like TG. It was more wooden than a tree. The only 5 minute bright spot was Sabine.

The programme is a sad and sorry shadow of its former self.

The whole concept needs to be retired (just like the previous pre-2003 version was) and brought back completely new in its entirety a couple of years later with new talent, ideas, writers and producers.

Surely the BBC must be thinking like that too?

Quote Originally Posted by Subday View Post
    I’ve been out of the country for a couple of years so haven’t caught the New Top Gear, other than odd episodes on channels in hotels. I watched at 8 on Sunday night, just like in the old days.

It was boring, humourless and all of the presenters were utterly terrible. None of them should be on a programme like TG. It was more wooden than a tree. The only 5 minute bright spot was Sabine.

The whole concept needs to be retired (just like the previous pre-2003 version was) and brought back completely new in its entirety a couple of years later with new talent, ideas, writers and producers.

Did you ever see the series "W1A"? If not, try and look out a couple of episodes.

It seems to me the BBC's approach to post-CHM TG was ill-judged, short-sighted and above all lazy. I'm sure they all just sat around with their fingers crossed. Maybe if they came up with some original ideas it might help.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Subday View Post

I totally agree with you it is just awful but for me Sabine is as bad she is just so annoying with her screaming and shouting I can't bear her, it is a truly dated and dull show and as for those three so called presenters words fail me!

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Did you ever see the series "W1A"? If not, try and look out a couple of episodes.

It seems to me the BBC's approach to post-CHM TG was ill-judged, short-sighted and above all lazy. I'm sure they all just sat around with their fingers crossed. Maybe if they came up with some original ideas it might help.
    W1A was brilliant. I particularly liked the weekly "Damage Limitation" meeting, where the first item on the agenda was always "Jeremy Clarkson".

The current Top Gear is a sanitised, neutered version. It's very "safe" by comparison.

And it starred the very lovely Ophelia Lovibond.
    Last edited by Backward point; 29th March 2018 at 14:39.

Breaking news:

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/sur...roved-14472069

They're going to need another track.

Dear Top Gear. PLEASE, please, please get rid of Rory. A complete absolute waste to licence payers money. Give the gig to someone who actually is a bit older, knows what he is talking about and a better grasp of the English language - literally

Ps Please never use Eddie Jordon unless as a crash test dummy and he has been gagged.

I must say the Alpine looked nice, but way to expensive compared to the Porsche. I was however rather taken by the Land Rover especially the door handles, but at 60k+ can think of better way to spend my money - like a 2nd hand Range Rover, Porsche or GWagon.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I find MLB odd. Too often he can't stop talking to the camera, and coming off like a news reader. Is top gear his first stint as a presenter?

It certainly isn't what it used to be. But then top gear was a bit rubbish at the start as well. So fingers crossed. I don't want a tedious car show, I want a humerus show based around cars. Hopefully both TG and TGT keep at it and I've now 2 shows I can watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    ...Amazon are binning TGT, so they are not impressed either.
    Some incorrect reports of it being cancelled, but it has been renewed I believe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Er: https://m.youtube.com/user/rory79

Which is why he was given the role....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'm still not sure what the BBC saw in him?

Yep so Land Rover have w***** out another car for the school run, volvos have fragile engine mounts and Alfa’s computer can turn out the same shape suv as everyone else’s computer. Renault didn’t finish the alpine before celebrating with a lunchtime glass or two and eddie Jordan is still eddie Jordan. Yep. That’s another top gear season in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Breaking news:

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/sur...roved-14472069

They're going to need another track.
    If that’s not a coffin nail, I don’t know what is....

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    If that’s not a coffin nail, I don’t know what is....
    Can't we subcontract our housing needs to France? They have plenty of space.