closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Mechanical Timepiece with Smartwatch - I nearly fell off my chair!!

A Mechanical Timepiece with Smartwatch - I nearly fell off my chair!!

Okay, I may be the only one here but just how cool is this! Could this be the future of our hobby I wonder?

I'm tempted to put my name down for one of these. At least this is a waiting list i'm on that may actually end with a watch in my possession

Can you imagine a Rolex Sub or Blancpain FF with smart watch connectivity?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects..._content=M-HE3

Master
    They're not lacking in confidence, I'll give them that.. "The X-One's hybrid perpetual calendar is the most advanced complication in the watch industry"

The problem with it is, it looks like a kid's toy. Tasteless fonts and sharp edges throughout. Simply horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    The problem with it is, it looks like a kid's toy. Tasteless fonts and sharp edges throughout. Simply horrendous.
    I guess it's subjective on the looks front. The real point is that the innovation and skill is becoming available to achieve this merging of old and new technologies. If it is successful then the big boys will get in on the game and then we'll start to see some decent designs hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    They're not lacking in confidence, I'll give them that.. "The X-One's hybrid perpetual calendar is the most advanced complication in the watch industry"
    I don't see the point in an infinite perpetual calendar in something that'll be obsolete within 18-24 months

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    I don't see the point in an infinite perpetual calendar in something that'll be obsolete within 18-24 months
    Ahhh but they say that they have addressed that issue by making the electronic component an 'easily removable module' presumably so that after 18-24 months you can upgrade it without having to disturb the mechanical components

Showing a large close-up of what appears to be a Habring tourbillon while less prominently admitting you use a Selitta SW200 might not be wise...

A Mechanical Timepiece with Smartwatch - I nearly fell off my chair!!

Check out www.Kronaby.com
    Swedish Company making traditional looking watches with hi tech connectivity inside. I’ve considered them more than once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 24th March 2018 at 15:39.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Swedish Company making traditional looking watches with hi tech connectivity inside. I’ve considered them more than once

Some good looking pieces there but all battery based. I kind of like the idea of a mechanical smartwatch

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Some good looking pieces there but all battery based. I kind of like the idea of a mechanical smartwatch
    The KS one has a battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    The KS one has a battery.
    Yes it says it has a Qi compliant 50 mAh battery. I meant I like the idea of a mechanical movement fused with smartwatch

Banned
    It's the beginning of the end. We're all doomed😭

Craftsman
    Okay, I may be the only one here but just how cool is this! Could this be the future of our hobby I wonder?

I'm tempted to put my name down for one of these. At least this is a waiting list i'm on that may actually end with a watch in my possession

Can you imagine a Rolex Sub or Blancpain FF with smart watch connectivity?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects..._content=M-HE3
    Depends on why you buy a watch. For me it’s the only item of jewellery that I will wear every day and I wear it to tell me the time!

I get the attraction of a smart watch, but it’s not for me

Ahhh but they say that they have addressed that issue by making the electronic component an 'easily removable module' presumably so that after 18-24 months you can upgrade it without having to disturb the mechanical components

Well maybe so but in reality its never really going to happen is it.

Craftsman
    Not for me

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

I've just got a Kronaby Apex - if anyone has any q's, let me know :)

Quote Originally Posted by racingclub View Post
    I've just got a Kronaby Apex - if anyone has any q's, let me know :)
    Don’t know much about them really other than the website blurb. What’s it like in reality and what can it do ? Do tell!

I actually really like it. The watch and band feel substantial and well made, just like a decent watch really.

I like the ‘stripped down’ nature of the notifications more than I thought I would. Plus you can display info on the subdial- I normally have it set to show my iPhone battery level.

I actually really like it. The watch and band feel substantial and well made, just like a decent watch really.

I like the ‘stripped down’ nature of the notifications more than I thought I would. Plus you can display info on the subdial- I normally have it set to show my iPhone battery level.

Be good to have a full review of all its features and functionality

Craftsman
    I'm impressed at the blending of technology.

Left of field thinking; how about incorporating the smart features into the strap/clasp instead of into the watch? You could have a strap/clasp with a battery powered vibration alert and similar sliding indicator telling you what type of alert it is (phone call, email, SMS, blood pressure too high). Separating the mechanical watch from the hi-tech battery powered bits might be a good way to go as electronics inevitably suffer a longevity issue.

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post

Left of field thinking; how about incorporating the smart features into the strap/clasp instead of into the watch? You could have a strap/clasp with a battery powered vibration alert and similar sliding indicator telling you what type of alert it is (phone call, email, SMS, blood pressure too high). Separating the mechanical watch from the hi-tech battery powered bits might be a good way to go as electronics inevitably suffer a longevity issue.
    Mont Blanc is developing a new strap attachment which does some of the things you mention. They had one a few years ago but it was a bit crude, let’s wait and see if the next one is better.

...Could this be the future of our hobby...
    I hope not because if that is the future then the hobby is at an end (though we have heard this before in the 80s with the Quartz 'revolution'). I can buy tatty Hublot-a-like knock-offs for a tenner down the market and chuck it when the battery dies. I think the future of 'smart' watches is that they will not look like watches...the current small format of a wristwatch is way too limiting to be useful for all the 'smart' stuff. Even Apple with all their considerable resources and design skill have failed at it.

I tried one on locally and I liked it. Its quite big at 43mm and it has a 2 year battery life rather than having to charge it every few days like most smart watches. 100m WR too.

I took this home for a gander.

Last edited by j111dja; 16th July 2018 at 21:20.

Journeyman
    Frederique Constant now has a hybrid automatic smartwatch, using their base in-house calibre. It has some kind of analytic feature that keeps tabs on the health of the movement, measures daily rate etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post

Sony is doing this too.

Master
    'Assign a number to a contact or alert to easily identify in secret James Bong like code that only you know'

Ah James Bong, that international pot head secret agent.

'So Mr Bong, you have troubled me for the last time, prepare to meet your maker'

'Yeah, like, whatever man!'

Craftsman
    Proof that there are solutions to problems which don’t exist...

I understand the how, but I’m very much struggling with the why.

Guess I’m a Luddite

Dave