closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U-Boat....Rig for Impact!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    Hi, thanks for reviving the thread, as you say they don’t get much of a following here which is a shame

My stratos is a 45mm auto, wouldn’t go for the 40mm as the crown is tiny and would be a nightmare trying to keep winding it.

The bezel is superb, being tungsten it’s very hard if not impossible to scratch, isn’t at all blingy and pleased to report that the lume is truly outstanding

U-Boats quite rightly got a bad press in the early days as the finish wasn’t as good as the rest of the know brands but they are now up there with the rest of the brands in this price bracket, I have Breitling, Omega, Tag etc to compare against, now had it a couple of years and it’s going nowhere

Best advice I can give is to make sure it’s going to be a keeper before you buy as they do dump a lot of money if you sell, also means you can get the occasional bargain on a s/h one
    Thanks for the reply. Good point on the crown I didn’t think of that, although the crown protection is a lot smaller than than my old Classico. 40mm seems the ideal size of in honest, especially with the height. 42mm maybe but they don’t offer any to my liking. My old Classico was the 45mm and thickness was an issue.

I’ll get my local AD to order one to view. Good to hear about the lume, again my old cream dial one had none & didn’t realise how much I needed it.

Also I’ll haggle for a deal as I know the resale is poor.

Annoyed they no longer made in Italy on dial I liked that aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Beauty of the Stratos is there are thin, think I posted a photo comparing my stratos thickness against my Classico

Where are you based?

I almost bought a thousands of feet in Rome many years ago. But then I tried it on and on my wrist and it looked like a wagon wheel on a toothpick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Will do a Stratos lume shoot over the weekend for you and post it here

- - - Updated - - -

Beauty of the Stratos is there are thin, think I posted a photo comparing my stratos thickness against my Classico

Where are you based?
    Based in Kent, & have a local AD near me in town. Who are currently working on my Panerai. But though only have the U47 in stock and a few others the Stratos would be an order.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

Craftsman
    I like the size and was offered an excellent discount in the Argyle Arcade last year. However, it felt too much like my TW Steels which are peanuts in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    I like the size and was offered an excellent discount in the Argyle Arcade last year. However, it felt too much like my TW Steels which are peanuts in comparison.
    What model was that on out of interest?

Blog Entries
    Here you go.

Lume shot taken at 8 last night so it was still fairly light, shines like a torch in the dark
    Last edited by Frankie169; 23rd August 2020 at 11:12.

Blog Entries
    Here you go.

Lume shot taken at 8 last night so it was still fairly light, shines like a torch in the dark

IMG_5313 by Bilko169, on Flickr

I think some are lovely and some are not, just like every other brand. I particularly like the simple dial models and there’s black and cream dials in this thread that are stunning. Can someone tell me what the hole / jewel above the 6 marker is for please?

Blog Entries
    There are small ruby's, present in most if not all Classico range, not sure if its to do with the movement or just decorative but whichever its a nice touch

I bought the U-47 because of the cream dial, nearly thought of selling it but came to my senses as it really is nice, the Bronzo also stands out as a keeper

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think some are lovely and some are not, just like every other brand. I particularly like the simple dial models and there’s black and cream dials in this thread that are stunning. Can someone tell me what the hole / jewel above the 6 marker is for please?
    Think it’s very Italian. When these first come out, many were quartz. Then when they became automatic, ruby from the movement visible on the front to show the differences.

Design for design sake.

Here you go.

IMG_5313 by Bilko169, on Flickr
    Brilliant. Thank you. Makes me want one sooner now!

Master
    I quite like the aesthetic of U-Boat watches and there are some utter bargains out there however my biggest sticking point with them is they all seem to have small movement syndrome, where the fantastic case is massive but the movement is far too small for it, usually evidenced by the placement of the date window half way into the dial. This just kills it for me although the chimera that started this thread hides it very well with the dial / case design.

Thanks a lot 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Think it’s very Italian. When these first come out, many were quartz. Then when they became automatic, ruby from the movement visible on the front to show the differences.

Design for design sake.

Hi, thanks for reviving the thread, as you say they don’t get much of a following here which is a shame

My stratos is a 45mm auto, wouldn’t go for the 40mm as the crown is tiny and would be a nightmare trying to keep winding it.

The bezel is superb, being tungsten it’s very hard if not impossible to scratch, isn’t at all blingy and pleased to report that the lume is truly outstanding

U-Boats quite rightly got a bad press in the early days as the finish wasn’t as good as the rest of the know brands but they are now up there with the rest of the brands in this price bracket, I have Breitling, Omega, Tag etc to compare against, now had it a couple of years and it’s going nowhere

Best advice I can give is to make sure it’s going to be a keeper before you buy as they do dump a lot of money if you sell, also means you can get the occasional bargain on a s/h one
    Just another update, been speaking to U Boat on social media (bizarrely them & Nomos very good at responding on Instagram compared to other brands).

The lady has informed me on the 40mm manual wind the crown cap lever doesn't fully come off like most, but just apart enough to wind. So crown to wind is the cap. Will hopefully have my local AD get one ion for me look at.

Blog Entries
    That’s interesting, will be interested to hear more once you have had a play with one

Craftsman
    What model was that on out of interest?

I’d be making it up as I honestly can’t remember. They made a number of calls to the big wigs for permission to get down to my price point and combined with me spotting some minor scratches, it was a very healthy discount. When push came to shove though, I just couldn’t do it.

Blog Entries
    Just another update, been speaking to U Boat on social media (bizarrely them & Nomos very good at responding on Instagram compared to other brands).

The lady has informed me on the 40mm manual wind the crown cap lever doesn't fully come off like most, but just apart enough to wind. So crown to wind is the cap. Will hopefully have my local AD get one ion for me look at.

Any update McBeardy on the U-boat?

U-Boat....Rig for Impact!

Any update McBeardy on the U-boat?
    Nothing yet I’m afraid. Still debating that model in all honesty and giving the many lockdowns and tier restrictions not been able to visit the AD as much as I’d like.

Also planning to buy one for my dad, but since he came back from Spain in September we’ve not been able to see each other.

Fancy the U47 for him or 1 of the new divers.

Last edited by McBeardy; 21st December 2020 at 01:37.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redshovel View Post
    Been a fan of U-Boat watches ever since I first clapped eyes on an old Classico. Bought and sold many over the years. Own a few too many now but as my first post on here I thought I would share my everyday favs.

Yeah I know they are BIG but the quality of build is amazing and I don’t understand the complete dislike some have of the brand.

Chimera Net Tungsten 8065 46mm

Classico Tungsten Chrono 7432 50mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ye gods, just seen this. Are they real?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.