closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storm Aqua-Pro 1000M WR Test. A Quick Bump.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post

What do you think will it survive or die ?
    Gosh - it looks one helluva lot better in that photo than it has in previous ones!!

As for its survival chances, I've a sneaking suspicion that watches from major manufacturers probably wildly exceed their stated WR depths (though whether you'd describe Storm as a major manufacturer rather than a fashion brand is more than a moot point), so it wouldn't surprise me if it did survive!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Gosh - it looks one helluva lot better in that photo than it has in previous ones!!

As for its survival chances, I've a sneaking suspicion that watches from major manufacturers probably wildly exceed their stated WR depths (though whether you'd describe Storm as a major manufacturer rather than a fashion brand is more than a moot point), so it wouldn't surprise me if it did survive!
    It should be interesting, I would be surprised if they tested each individual watch, more likely the pull random samples from the production line. That being said though if they mark it on the dial it would be bad form if it didn't survive.

I while back I did a crush test on a Vostok and it surprised us by easily reaching over 600m (3x its rating)
    while on the other side I once saw a 1000m Breitling stop at about 780m because the glass was touching the centre seconds hand.

Hi Animalone,
    I'm in. I ve sent you a pm.

Gary

Thank you for the contributions so far,

1. Alpha4
    2. PaulM
    3. Neilw3030
    4. Scottd
    5. Arcam
    6. Onespeed

What do you think will it survive or die ?

You know, I think it looks better on a strap than the bracelet. Is it a waterproof strap?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    You know, I think it looks better on a strap than the bracelet. Is it a waterproof strap?
    yes it is, Hirsch Ayrton to be precise

yes it is, Hirsch Ayrton to be precise
    I shall get one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    Lol don't believe them.

1000m is 1400psi+
    But no-one recreationally dives to 1000m, do they? So strictly speaking it might be correct.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    But no-one recreationally dives to 1000m, do they? So strictly speaking it might be correct.
    No. A few have done 1000 feet, and some of those are even still alive!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Sorry to say I have a very boring video for you
    The Storm watch easily reached 100 bar so no implosive entertainment.
    Randomly picked winner is Neilw3030 the good news is you win a working watch and not a pile of bits

Sorry to say I have a very boring video for you
    The Storm watch easily reached 100 bar so no implosive entertainment.
    Randomly picked winner is Neilw3030 the good news is you win a working watch and not a pile of bits

Well, there you go then. Perfect holiday watch. Thanks Ian (animalone).

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    No-one recreationally dives past 40m. The record technical scuba dive is 330m and the record hard-suit dive is 700m

Master
    Remarkable.....some cheapo watch from a fashion brand proves WR to insane depths far beyond most diver's watches. I can only assume that making a watch with a high WR rating is much easier and cheaper than certain prestige brands are letting on!! It'd be interesting to know exactly how deep an ordinary watch (eg a 100m WR Seiko or Citizen) could take....I suspect the result would make those who feel that their 100m WR watches aren't WR enough to shower in look extremely over-cautious!

Major watch manufacturers share prices have just tumbled. Well done Neil. Thanks for the test Ian.

Ian,
    Thanks for testing this. I'm not sure quite what I expected but possibly tilted the scales towards it failing. Regardless tests like these always interest me, irrespective of the outcome.

And congratulations to Neilw3030 on your new fully working and water resistant acquisition.

All the best

Gary

It'd be interesting to know exactly how deep an ordinary watch (eg a 100m WR Seiko or Citizen) could take....I suspect the result would make those who feel that their 100m WR watches aren't WR enough to shower in look extremely over-cautious!
    A humble digital 30m Casio A158W-1 ($15 new) made easy work of a dive to a genuine depth of 30m. Not sure about posting links to other forums, but a quick Google should provide details.
    Last edited by Geralt; 1st April 2018 at 09:09.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My Fijian mate used to use a 100m Casio in saturation, did 275m easily. He used to get them at his local garage at £12.00 a pop.

mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    A humble digital 30m Casio A158W-1 ($15 new) made easy work of a dive to a genuine depth of 30m. Not sure about posting links to other forums, but a quick Google should provide details.
    Yes, I've seen that. It was very interesting....makes the 'Only Splash-proof' advice seem rather silly!!!

Craftsman
    Genuinely surprised and also quite impressed for the price. I was sure it would fail dramatically before it reached 100 bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Of course, the next question will be when the battery runs out - who will have the technology to reseal and test to 100bar???

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    I wore my watch (Seamaster quartz) over my drysuit wrist seal, but underneath my dry glove, which was pretty pointless as I couldn’t see it, but bear with me. I then ran my drysuit inflation from my trimix bailout. As the suit equalises with the gloves, the watch did the dive dry in a Helium environment although a ‘wet’ dive. Last laugh on me though as I was freezing due to using trimix for suit inflation. I am going to claim the world’s first non-sat use of a helium escape valve on a watch
    Haha that's outstanding! I bet you were freezing though! I don't use a dry suit when I dive but I know what a cold gas it is. Good on you for testing it out!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Of course, the next question will be when the battery runs out - who will have the technology to reseal and test to 100bar???
    Exactly! I'm hoping that one of our esteemed members on here may be able to help with this when the time comes (pun int).