closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sales corner. First unhappy deal in over fifteen years. Have I expected too much?

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Sales corner. First unhappy deal in over fifteen years. Have I expected too much?

EDIT: I mention somewhere in a later post further down that I suffer from dementia. I should have checked this earlier, and it was perhaps, unforgiveable of me not to have done so, but someone was interested to see what was in my original PM. I was going to cut an paste it here in the interest of disclosure - nothing to hide - but when I went to find it, it wasn't there!. I must have not sent it. I owe the recipient an apology, and members her for starting a discussion which I perhaps shouldn't have started. I have noticed recently that my opinions have become somewhat at odds to those of other members, perhaps my age, perhaps my dementia. I must try and moderate them. I apologise. I have wasted your time.

I bought a watch last week. Not a cheap watch, at least I don't think so, over £1500. Watch was delivered on time, no box, no warrantyn but I expected this, it was a vintage classic. Even so, one would have expected it to be serviceable??

It arrived on Monday. It was keeping perfect time, just about to the second in fact, dial and crystal were perfect, chronograph functions also functioned perfectly, so I was feeling quite content.

Yesterday morning, I got caught out in a shower, just a few seconds, before I got back into the house, and it was just a few seconds. I thought nothing of it. A couple of hours later, I glanced at the watch, and saw that there was a mist under the crystal, and two or three small droplets of water also!!!

I whipped off the case back, put the open case in a petri dish and put a vented cover on top, and then put it in a dish containing pellets of moisture absorbing crystals, and put it on a radiator. I refastened the caseback this morning, put it in the freezer for half an hour, and no condensation. Ther are no signs of rust on the movement.

I have contacted the main service agent, and an independent, and have got a price for a full service and re-seal from both.

I have also contacted the original seller, and explained the circumstances, and asked that given the fact that I had only been wearing the watch for 4 days, he might wish to meet the service costs 50/50 with me. I also told him that he was in no way at fault, and that because he probably had no way of knowing that the seals were gone (and in a big way) I could not hold him responsible.

Now, this is what really bugs me, quite apart from the fact that he has not offered to share the cost, he hasn't even bothered to apologise, and not even answered my PM. I know he has been on the forum since I sent it to him. Standards are seriously dropping!!
    Last edited by doug darter; 17th March 2018 at 15:25.

Blog Entries
    Please shoot me down in flames - but is this the right forum for this post? Maybe delete post and put on G&D or BP, or dare I say H&V?

Not sure what to think of this. You bought a vintage watch which I assume was understood not to have a recent service. I think this goes without saying that you should assume seals need doing and that you should expect that if it gets wet, there is risk of water ingress. If I bought that I’d either risk not servicing and make sure it isn’t subject to wet conditions or get it serviced immediately.

I’m not sure you can hold the seller to account for your misfortune any more than if you’d fallen in a river while wearing it.

I think a PM reply would have definitely been in order, but I’m not sure it would say they were meeting you 50/50.

I might be completely wrong on this, so I’m interested to see what the forum consensus is!

Master
    If the watch was in good working order until it was in a rain shower if only for a few seconds why should seller have to pay anything at all? Sold in good condition, damaged in your ownership. Maybe I am missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Not sure what to think of this. You bought a vintage watch which I assume was understood not to have a recent service. I think this goes without saying that you should assume seals need doing and that you should expect that if it gets wet, there is risk of water ingress. If I bought that I’d either risk not servicing and make sure it isn’t subject to wet conditions or get it serviced immediately.

I’m not sure you can hold the seller to account for your misfortune any more than if you’d fallen in a river while wearing it.

I think a PM reply would have definitely been in order, but I’m not sure it would say they were meeting you 50/50.

I might be completely wrong on this, so I’m interested to see what the forum consensus is!
    Have to say I completely agree with this.

Not the seller's problem in any way, shape or form, just bad luck. It's a vintage watch and came with no service guarantee or history.

As an example, I just bought an 8-year-old Squale with a WR rating of 500m. The first thing I've done is contact Duncan to get it tested and will have new seals fitted if it needs it. I wouldn't even risk wearing it in the bath until I know it's secure.

Caveat emptor I think.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Have to say I completely agree with this.
    In my post I do say that I do not hold the seller responsible for the fault. I do say that I did not expect any service history, nor did I expect the seller to meet 50% of the service cost, except perhaps, it's what I would have done.

What I did say what really annoyed me was the lack of manners in not acknowledging the fact that I had contacted him in the first place.

As Christian said, a reply to your pm would have been expected, but under the circumstances you describe, I don’t think the seller should be expected to contribute to the service.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Although this is frustrating, I don’t think it is the sellers issue at all. Even watches that were once very water-tight, such as Sea Dwellers are best not regarded as at all safe in water when old. This was by all accounts a vintage chronograph. Unless explicitly serviced by someone dependable, it isn’t wise to assume anything about the seals.

I do think a response to your pm would be courteous, but I wouldn’t expect an apology or sharing of costs.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    In my post I do say that I do not hold the seller responsible for the fault. I do say that I did not expect any service history, nor did I expect the seller to meet 50% of the service cost, except perhaps, it's what I would have done.

What I did say what really annoyed me was the lack of manners in not acknowledging the fact that I had contacted him in the first place.
    Sorry it may have come across as blunt in my reply, I also agree it would have been decent of him to reply to you.

Definitely agree, it would be curteous to receive a PM reply. Even though it was a suggestion and not a demand, I suspect the 50/50 thing has probably got him thinking...oh my god, I sold my watch to someone who broke it and now wants compensation...my sales price didn’t include accidental damage cover...this could be getting messy.
    Last edited by Christian; 17th March 2018 at 13:33.

Sales corner. First unhappy deal in over fifteen years. Have I expected too much?

It’s a vintage watch, you got caught out in a shower with it. I don’t even get what you even sent the seller a PM. I know you’re saying you don’t expect the seller to meet 50% of the cost but I think you clearly do, otherwise wise post this up and even mention it and say it’s what you would have done ?

I think you have expected too much .

To be honest if I sold you a watch which you damaged in your possession which you acknowledge isn’t my fault I would be miffed at getting the PM.

Same thing happened to my dad 25 years ago when mobiles first came out , “friend” of the family bought it off my dad dropped it and then didn’t pay my dad the outstanding balance. Still grates me to this day, my dad was a decent honest guy and let it go .
    Last edited by eagletower; 17th March 2018 at 13:36.

Master
    Sorry, but I think you have been quite unreasonable. You send the guy a message, acknowledging that he is 'in no way at fault' and then suggest he pays half the costs of a service. Why, if he is not at fault ?
    You can't have it both ways.

I regularly see people wondering why they don't get PMs when using one app or another, so his logging onto the forum does not necessarily mean he's seen it.

Master
    ...................I have also contacted the original seller, and explained the circumstances, and asked that given the fact that I had only been wearing the watch for 4 days, he might wish to meet the service costs 50/50 with me..............
    ..................nor did I expect the seller to meet 50% of the service cost, except perhaps, it's what I would have done..............
    From your two posts, I'm a bit confused about what you were expecting here.
    However, particularly as the watch seems not to have suffered from the experience, I don't really think there is a lot to complain about. I would never expect a vintage watch to be well sealed.

Master
    Just my opinion Doug,

Based on the facts you have given you expected to much, as far as apologies go, if I had sent the seller a message asking to help cover the service costs, it would be me doing the apologising.

Please don't take my opinion the wrong way Doug.

Matt

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    How do I find this 'sales corner’?

He probably hasn't replied as he doesn't want to cause offence whilst he is wondering how to tell you to do one....in a polite manner, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Sorry, but I think you have been quite unreasonable. You send the guy a message, acknowledging that he is 'in no way at fault' and then suggest he pays half the costs of a service. Why, if he is not at fault ?
    You can't have it both ways.
    Already a lot of glib replies. I can bet if it had happened to a lot of members here, you wouldn't be so happy to condemn!!

Say you bought a car.... OK, no guarantee, from a friend, newspaper advert, Exchange and mart, whatever, started it up, made an inspection, and all seemed to be working perfectly, and you agreed to buy it. No warranty, or guarantee implied. Cash changed hands. You drove it down the road, and there is a cloudburst. Rain pours through all the window seals, the demisters can't cope, and by the time you get a mile down the road, the carpets are soaked, and then all the electrics blow!!

Are you not going to go back to the seller and complain?? Of course you are. Are you going to ask for your money back?? Probably??

The law states (and this applies to new and second hand goods) that an item sold MUST BE FIT FOR PURPOSE. and this is the reason, as well as because I am an honest and reasonable person, just ask anybody I have sold a watch to over the last 15 years. A watch that gets water in the movement after 15 seconds is not fit for purpose!!

I re-iterate. I did not demand any recompense. I suggested it, because I thought it was reasonable under the circumstances, and it's what I would have done, in fact I have paid for the full cost of repairs for a watch which failed some weeks after I sold it, and replaced another like for like - shit happens!! I acknowledged the fact that the seller was not responsible for the fault, though how he could not have known that the watch was leaking is a bit of a mystery as it was so bad.

My only beef is that he has failed to communicate with me.

It's like everything else these days.

Everything you buy from anybody. When you are buying, communications come thick and fast, everybody is willng to help, but once money has changed hands..... a completely different matter!

I were the buyer I would have probably gone back to the seller with a "Typical... you would never guess what..." to give them the choice on how to respond, if at all.

They might feel a bit of goodwill is in order or they might not, I would leave it entirely there choice without suggestion from my part.

If I were the seller, I would probably offered something as goodwill but that's just me... although I doubt it would have been as you were expecting (50/50).

^ either way I wouldn't have started a thread about it.

When I buy a vintage watch did I always include a service and a waterproof test in the price. There is a lot of vintage
    watches that never pass the waterproof test and that is how it is.

I will never blame the seller for that on a old watch, only if it was sold as new serviced and waterproof and it was not.
    It's always a kind of gambling to buy vintage watches and things can happen.

But the seller should of course answer your PM, if he not maybe he have knows about the faults and then it's another
    story. No answering PM can put him in a bad position next time he try to sell something. A good seller take it back and
    refund and then sell it as a repair object, it's to small amount of money to get the name in the dirt IMHO.
    Last edited by Jocke; 17th March 2018 at 13:55.

Master
    Had a similar experience, 10k vintage bought on SC from an impeccable seller,, put it in the watch box and a week later noticed the plexi had cracked. This could only have been caused by micro cracking at the base and all of a sudden it decided to propagate, there is no way the seller could have known so I didn't even inform him just sent it straight off for a service. Life is like that at times.

Master
    OP seems passive/aggressive

Master
    I’m wondering how this amount of water has managed to enter the watch through a light shower

- - - Updated - - -

I’m wondering how this amount of water has managed to enter the watch through a shower (few seconds)

Say you bought a car.... OK, no guarantee, from a friend, newspaper advert, Exchange and mart, whatever, started it up, made an inspection, and all seemed to be working perfectly, and you agreed to buy it. No warranty, or guarantee implied. Cash changed hands. You drove it down the road, and there is a cloudburst. Rain pours through all the window seals, the demisters can't cope, and by the time you get a mile down the road, the carpets are soaked, and then all the electrics blow!!
    This actually happened to me (although the electrics didn't blow, the carpets were soaked). Got sold a car that all the waterproof membranes in the door had been damaged/removed. I sucked it up...sold as seen.

Even so, I don't think this comparison holds water because a car can be reasonably expected to be subject to significant amounts of water. A watch cannot, particularly a vintage watch with no recent service. It came with no waterproof guarantee...it was fit for purpose in a dry environment.

I also think the 50/50 suggestion is kind of pushing it and this doesn't warrant becoming a Watergate Scandal...sorry.

The communication comment is valid though and should have probably been brought up as the sole issue.
    Last edited by Christian; 17th March 2018 at 14:09.

Craftsman
    Completely your responsibility and fault.

Never assume a watch is waterproof without a recent service or reseal within 12 months. Even then a vintage watch, good luck.

What is the watch? Was the watch even a waterproof model originally when new?

Personally I would have responded to the PM saying no way on your bike in as polite as way as possible. But I also understand them not answering as it seems like a whole world of pain they have no need to be part of. As shown by you starting this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I’m wondering how this amount of water has managed to enter the watch through a light shower
    OP said shower. The watch must have been open to the elements and I reckon you can get a large amount of water coverage running down a sleeve over a watch even in a few seconds.

Actually, I'd be pretty miffed if I went out in a shower for a few seconds and the watch had condensation and/or droplets under the crystal as a result. I'm also not sure that I'd regard that as serviceable regardless of whether the watch is vintage.

If I was the seller I'd certainly contribute towards the cost of the service.

Already a lot of glib replies. I can bet if it had happened to a lot of members here, you wouldn't be so happy to condemn!!

Are you not going to go back to the seller and complain?? Of course you are. Are you going to ask for your money back?? Probably??

The law states (and this applies to new and second hand goods) that an item sold MUST BE FIT FOR PURPOSE. and this is the reason, as well as because I am an honest and reasonable person, just ask anybody I have sold a watch to over the last 15 years. A watch that gets water in the movement after 15 seconds is not fit for purpose!!

I re-iterate. I did not demand any recompense. I suggested it, because I thought it was reasonable under the circumstances, and it's what I would have done, in fact I have paid for the full cost of repairs for a watch which failed some weeks after I sold it, and replaced another like for like - s**t happens!! I acknowledged the fact that the seller was not responsible for the fault, though how he could not have known that the watch was leaking is a bit of a mystery as it was so bad.

My only beef is that he has failed to communicate with me.

It's like everything else these days.

Everything you buy from anybody. When you are buying, communications come thick and fast, everybody is willng to help, but once money has changed hands..... a completely different matter!
    Doug I don't know if you took offence to my reply it wasn't intended that way. I understand your frustration as someone who often buys vintage watches but I have learned pretty fast that unless it states in the sales thread its been serviced and when then factor in a service or expect things to go wrong with it. I still have a few vintage watches I bought last year I am working through sending off for a service I rarely wear them for that very reason because if there is a minor problem I don't want to make it far worse. I agree it would have been polite for the seller to reply to you but as someone else has said, he may have thought this could end up getting messy and sometimes the best course of action is to say nothing. I have paid in full for a watch I sold that started to play up guess the buyer got a good deal not only a good price but a full service for free but oh well it happens, I have also had watches I bought that started playing up but with no service history I just had to take the cost of the service.

I don't know what the watch in question is but I do think its rather harsh to say a vintage watch that takes in water is not fit for purpose when it may be just a broken seal that the seller may very well have no knowledge of, most of my vintage stuff I wear on occasion and age means they are quite fragile and prone to taking a knock (I recall paying for a full service of a sterling silver watch of mine only to happily get it back and on the first day of wearing it again crack the crystal knocking it against something (Doh) Back in again for a service!)

Having viewed the watches you have put up for sale over the years I have been pretty impressed by the stuff you sell, hope this has given some clarification as to my point of view.

OK,

I'll tell you why I'm so bloody annoyed.

I'm a pensioner. I paid £1500 for a vintage chronograph which I had every right to expect I could strap to my wrist and wear as I would any other of my watches. I wasn't going to go swimming in it, I wasn't going wear it in the shower, I wasn't going to climb mountains, go running, or do anything adventurous. I'm a slightly overweight 68 year old with diabetes, a debilitating brain tumour and dementia.

I'm also not stupid, and I know quite a lot about watches. I've been buying and selling watches for around 50 years. I've been founder member of two online forums, and written articles for Breitling SA.

In all my year, I've never has a watch suffer from water ingress after 15 - 20 seconds of light rain. This is not a case of water ingress through the case seal, but a catastrophic failure of crown and pusher seals. It simply has to be.

If I had not had my wit's about me, and taken the steps I had, as soon as I had, the watch would by now, been rusted solid, or nearly so. By the time it had got to a service centre, it would quite possibly have been beyond a reasonable service repair.

It was not simply a case of damp, it was, as I explained in my original post, a case of water in the case. The watch was not merely in need of a service, it was faulty.

For water to enter the case so rapidly, while i was waling 15 yards from garage to front door, could not have ever been forseen, nor expected. I have 100 year old trench watches, which have no seals whatsoever which have suffered worse!!

I fully intend to get this watch serviced, and re-sealed. I'll pay for the work myself, as I always intended to. I can't afford to have watches in my box that I can't wear.
    Last edited by doug darter; 17th March 2018 at 14:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I regularly see people wondering why they don't get PMs when using one app or another, so his logging onto the forum does not necessarily mean he's seen it.
    This.
    I’m using Tapatalk and once Tapatalk notified me of a PM two weeks after it had arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    This.
    I’m using Tapatalk and once Tapatalk notified me of a PM two weeks after it had arrived.
    I guess the seller not use Tapatalk when he sell watches, maybe only when people complain.

Journeyman
    Reading the OP again it looks like the PM was sent yesterday, I’d suggest giving the seller a couple of days to respond. They could be away and not checking PMs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a tough one to call Doug. It's easy for outsiders to dismiss the incident as being a risk of vintage ownership, particularly a chrono which are typically less secure.

For it to happen the next day, in seconds in a light shower, on a £1500 quid item... that's harder to write off. Throw in the fact that Doug is a known solid member with dozens of good deals on here and most definitely not a piss-taking chancer, I don't think a contribution from the seller is asking too much.

Quote Originally Posted by UsefulG View Post
    Reading the OP again it looks like the PM was sent yesterday, I’d suggest giving the seller a couple of days to respond. They could be away and not checking PMs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No, he's been on the forum since. I get an email every time a PM is posted... doesn't everone??

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No, he's been on the forum since. I get an email every time a PM is posted... doesn't everone??
    i get them when a PM is sent to me, however I THINK you can turn that function off?

No but I use tapatalk. I am notified by a red dot on the messages icon but not always immediately.
    Perhaps give him a little time but also check that your inbox/sent messages folder isn’t full.

Doug - I appreciate your frustration, but once you put your story on the forum you have to accept some of the comments. I have two observations - did you fully clarify the condition of the watch? Personally with vintage you have to be really clear on that with the seller - even if you have many years of experience buying and selling.

Secondly your tone comes across a little aggressive, and from the first post you are essentially implying to the seller that he must pay 50-50 for the service. If I was the seller, I'd be a bit taken aback and even a bit cheesed off with the tone. He could be considering the response as an off the cuff response may even make things worse.

OP how much was the watch? You mention £150 and £1500. What watch is it?

Master
    Doug, i know its easier to say this, but given your medical conditions try not to let this upset you to much, we understand your annoyed and the Watch has cost you money, but it's not worth making yourself more unwell over.

Matt

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I would imagine most people get far too much in their email . I had no idea an email was sent when a selected person posts on here. Wouldn’t want to either frankly. No offence.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have to admit that as mentioned, I would not expect a vintage watch to be waterproof unless I had documented evidence, regardless of the price paid e.g a 1968 Speedmaster is resistant to 30m but would you chsnce it in a shower? i wouldnt.
    As to a reply, well I would answer but I can understand someone taking their time if the initial PM came across as aggressive.

Master
    I do get a flash notification which disappears after a short while on my mobile. No emails. If I don’t log on vie the website I can go weeks missing PM’s.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have an email account which I use solely for things like belonging to forums, precisely to avoid the billions of notifications clogging up my normal email.

By now, though, I'm imagining the seller is watching this thread and wondering what to say, when and where.

I think it's down right ignorant and quite frankly mind numbingly discourteous to not even reply upon learning about the set of circumstances and events of this recent sale.
    Jeez! Empathy, suggestions of reason, lending a ear, or anything to help placate the situation is surely better than Zip, Nada, Niet!
    This place is a big animal, these days!

OK,

I'll tell you why I'm so bloody annoyed.

I'm a pensioner. I paid £1500 for a vintage chronograph which I had every right to expect I could strap to my wrist and wear as I would any other of my watches. I wasn't going to go swimming in it, I wasn't going wear it in the shower, I wasn't going to climb mountains, go running, or do anything adventurous. I'm a slightly overweight 68 year old with diabetes, a debilitating brain tumour and dementia.

I'm also not stupid, and I know quite a lot about watches. I've been buying and selling watches for around 50 years. I've been founder member of two online forums, and written articles for Breitling SA.

In all my year, I've never has a watch suffer from water ingress after 15 - 20 seconds of light rain. This is not a case of water ingress through the case seal, but a catastrophic failure of crown and pusher seals. It simply has to be.

If I had not had my wit's about me, and taken the steps I had, as soon as I had, the watch would by now, been rusted solid, or nearly so. By the time it had got to a service centre, it would quite possibly have been beyond a reasonable service repair.

It was not simply a case of damp, it was, as I explained in my original post, a case of water in the case. The watch was not merely in need of a service, it was faulty.

For water to enter the case so rapidly, while i was waling 15 yards from garage to front door, could not have ever been forseen, nor expected. I have 100 year old trench watches, which have no seals whatsoever which have suffered worse!!

I fully intend to get this watch serviced, and re-sealed. I'll pay for the work myself, as I always intended to. I can't afford to have watches in my box that I can't wear.
    Doug, I understand your frustration I think in your original post you said the watch was 150? anyway, sent you a PM for a watch repairer who has done some good work in the past for me who may offer a cost effective solution.

I don't, and to be honest - don't spot the notification for a couple of days sometimes.

Doug,
    seeing that a member has been on the forum subsequent to you sending them a PM doesn't necessarily mean they've opened and read your message.

There is an option under Go Advanced>Miscellaneous to 'Request a read receipt for this message Allows you to see when the message is read by its recipients.'

If you didn't do this at the time then I suggest you re-send your message again but with the option chosen.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Actually, I'd be pretty miffed if I went out in a shower for a few seconds and the watch had condensation and/or droplets under the crystal as a result. I'm also not sure that I'd regard that as serviceable regardless of whether the watch is vintage.

If I was the seller I'd certainly contribute towards the cost of the service.
    +1

Master
    This is an unfortunate situation for sure. For the seller not to respond does seem rude I agree, not what I would expect from someone who is up front about their sale items. I do have to say, however, that unless there was some sort of claim regarding service history when the watch was sold I don't see that the seller has a clear case to answer here. Another factor is that older chronographs such as the Breitling 806 or 809 or the square pusher designs have next to zero water resistance even when healthy and should be molly coddled for this reason. If this is a design that might have been expected to offer some water resistance then if I were the seller I probably would think seriously about contributing here but that for the individual to decide. Unless of course he expressly stated that it hadn't been serviced in years then all bets are off.

I try to avoid this by routinely servicing watches I buy so there is some confidence in the condition both for myself and a future buyer if I choose to move it on at some point, not the cheapest approach but it does avoid things like this. Of course some watches just can't tolerate water.

ps I know we have had words Doug but I hope that doesn't mean you think I haven't replied here without prejudice on this matter. You did ask!