timefactors watches
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Five Omega's and a Chronographe Suisse - Advice welcome!

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hilversum, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,000

    Five Omega's and a Chronographe Suisse - Advice welcome!

    Hi all,

    I currently have 6 watches in my possession, because a good friend of mine thought "Jaap knows watches" ;). Well, unfortunately for him, I have no knowledge of vintage Omega's, let alone Chronographe Suisse. His father has passed away and now his mother needs cash, so she wants to sell them.

    Any advice on pricing, originality and what else you can think of is very much appreciated!

    The first is an Omega Constellation Pie-Pan which I opened up to check the numbers. It has an Omega caliber 551, the reference number is 14381 and the movement is signed 17754792.





    The second is an Omega Geneve. Have not opened it.



    The third is an Omega DeVille Automatic with a rectangular case.




    The last is a Chronographe Suisse. It has CH. GOBLET on the dial.





    The other one is a Quartz DeVille which I think is rather worthless, the other one is an Omega Speedmaster automatic triple date with a silver dial, I have a pretty good idea what that one could go for.

    Hope you guys can help me, so I look good in front of my friend and his mum :P

  2. #2
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    66
    The first one looks like a gold cap Constellation in good condition from about 1960/61 (based on the serial) for which the case ref is correct. These pie pan dials are sought after and it looks an original dial but, I'd need to see a face on shot to be sure. If that's good and the novement is nice I'd estimate it at £750-850 if unserviced. Having an original dial is a major factor on the price. Unfortunately, stainless sells better at the moment at probably one third more. Nice watch in my opinion and I like the 550 series calibres.

    The Genėve is probably a cal 750 or 752 and I'd estimate early seventies. These are cheaper than the Constellations and an original dial (which this certainly looks like) adds to the value. For me, about £400.

    Don't know the third one.

    The CS looks very nice as well. These are all over the place in prices but I suspect it has a Landeron inside. It may be a gold case but these have the thinnest gold you've ever seen and a steel reinforcing ring inside. Could be wrong as I don't see these a lot but doubt it would be more than the Genėve.

    Hope this helps and intereted to hear other opinions.

    Cheers, Chris

  3. #3
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    15,796
    Agree broadly with Chris. The Geneve’s a 1020 or 1022 movement, the separation of the day and date confirms that. I rate these movements higher than the much loved 550/560/750 ‘classics’, they’re excellent timekeepers in good condition.

    Both dials look to be in excellent condition, if they’re original they certainly add value. Nice hands too......these are v. difficult to source since Omega stopped supplying wholesalers.

    These watches will find new homes without difficulty. The Constellation’s a bargain compared to the price of a gold one (£2.5k minimum for a good example thesedays)

    Paul

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Agree broadly with Chris. The Geneve’s a 1020 or 1022 movement, the separation of the day and date confirms that. I rate these movements higher than the much loved 550/560/750 ‘classics’, they’re excellent timekeepers in good condition.

    Both dials look to be in excellent condition, if they’re original they certainly add value. Nice hands too......these are v. difficult to source since Omega stopped supplying wholesalers.

    These watches will find new homes without difficulty. The Constellation’s a bargain compared to the price of a gold one (£2.5k minimum for a good example thesedays)

    Paul
    Good point about the Genėve, Paul. It is the later calibre and those are also very nice when well maintained. I had a 1020 on my wrist the other day and it's a lovely thing.

    Chris

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hilversum, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    The first one looks like a gold cap Constellation in good condition from about 1960/61 (based on the serial) for which the case ref is correct. These pie pan dials are sought after and it looks an original dial but, I'd need to see a face on shot to be sure. If that's good and the novement is nice I'd estimate it at £750-850 if unserviced. Having an original dial is a major factor on the price. Unfortunately, stainless sells better at the moment at probably one third more. Nice watch in my opinion and I like the 550 series calibres.

    Cheers, Chris
    Thanks Chris and Paul.

    Here are some more shots I just took.

    Face on:


    Movement, which looks clean. Also, it is now running within +20 seconds a day.

    And the inside of the caseback:


    Thanks also for the feedback on the Chronographe Suisse and the Geneve!

  6. #6
    The Deville is most likely from the early/mid 70s and will have a small Ladies calibre most likely a 483/5 or similar
    Omega were somewhat prolific at churning out fashion styles at this time, value if working would be a couple of hundred.

    The CS, as already stated, although gold will be of very low weight, even the lugs are hollow on these I believe.
    Value around £400, though I have seen them go for a lot more as many assume they would be solid gold.

    K

  7. #7
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    66
    The Constellation dial looks fine to me. The fonts and lines in your first pictures look thin/fine and the placement of the "Swiss Made" and so on. In the straight on shot, the lines appear thicker but, I think that's just your camera and focus. The movement looks nice and clean but at +20 seconds a day will need a service as it should be better than that. Regardless, it probably hasn't been serviced for many years so it will need a service for use. There might be a little rotor rubbing on the case back that would be solved during a service. That looks a nice, clean and honest watch and I'd certainly think my estimate would be achievable (I don't sell much though so might be wrong...).

    The Genève is a cheaper range than the Constellation but these are a very good introduction to vintage Omega collecting. If it is a 1020, then it will be a bit later than the sixties and the seventies are just not as collectable.

    The CS is a bit odd, as keitht said, they are often hollow lugs so there is not much gold content. On the other hand, that one looks spectacular with sharp lugs and an (apparently) untouched dial. You just might get more than I thought and I know if I saw it, I would give it a second look. I'd imagine the black dial will help. Again, everyone is buying stainless watches at the moment from what I see.

    I'm probably stating the obvious but, if you're going to help to sell these, you'll need good photos including the movement. Let the buyer service them as they will never get that money back.

    Hope this helps your friends and good luck, Chris

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hilversum, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    The Constellation dial looks fine to me. The fonts and lines in your first pictures look thin/fine and the placement of the "Swiss Made" and so on. In the straight on shot, the lines appear thicker but, I think that's just your camera and focus. The movement looks nice and clean but at +20 seconds a day will need a service as it should be better than that. Regardless, it probably hasn't been serviced for many years so it will need a service for use. There might be a little rotor rubbing on the case back that would be solved during a service. That looks a nice, clean and honest watch and I'd certainly think my estimate would be achievable (I don't sell much though so might be wrong...).
    Very helpful, Chris, thank you very much. Any thoughts on a possible relume of the hands? I’ve recieved a good offer on the high side of your estimate, so very confident about getting the best price for her. Will consider putting it up for auction, along with the Chronographe Suisse.

  9. #9
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    12,137
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    Very helpful, Chris, thank you very much. Any thoughts on a possible relume of the hands? I’ve recieved a good offer on the high side of your estimate, so very confident about getting the best price for her. Will consider putting it up for auction, along with the Chronographe Suisse.
    As someone who would be interested in the Constellation, I'd leave it exactly as it is. At auction you'll have fees to pay, but no worries about shipping. It may be worth getting another independent estimate locally before deciding on how best to sell them.

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    Very helpful, Chris, thank you very much. Any thoughts on a possible relume of the hands? I’ve recieved a good offer on the high side of your estimate, so very confident about getting the best price for her. Will consider putting it up for auction, along with the Chronographe Suisse.
    I'd also leave everything as is. It's not clear to me if the hands have lume or not in the pictures but, if they do, then it appears to be much lighter than the lume on the markers and a slightly different colour. This can be resolved when serviced.

    I'd go for the collector market if I were you and just put it for sale here (I can't see the sales forum but I suppose there is a good market here). The best bet would be the Omega Forums (OF) but you need to have been there some time with a certain number of posts before you can post a sale ad. In my opinion, I wouldn't go to an auction but instead, decide a price and sell it within a community - no fees in that case and you'd hope the buyer will have a reputation to maintain and not mess you about. He should also have his own watchmaker specializing in vintage so, he would resolve any issues the buyer is unhappy with. Lume work on the hands is not hard and you can get a good match. On the dial, it's much harder but I see some true specialists on here.

    Prices are going up but the best bet would be to look on OF or ebay at sold listings. It's very difficult though as stainless sell better than gold cap and small improvements to the dial and case condition as well as the seller's reputation will have a significant impact on the price. I'd get some more estimates and look at sold listings then price higher than I originally said - at least that way you can take offers. You already have some interest here by the sound of PickleB's post. It really does appear to be a nice classic watch so, you'd think it would go quickly.

    The others are probably better sold at an auction as they are not such a specific model. That would be my thought anyway.

    Cheers, Chris

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hilversum, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,000
    Hi Chris,

    Thank you for all the information. It looks like the Connie has almost found a new home with a Dutch collector, so might not have to sell it at auction. The Chronographe Suisse is now in SC. My friends mum was really pleased with all the helpful information, that she decided to give me the two DeVille's to auction them here for the fundraiser. Will check with Eddie on how to go about this, and if this is ok.

    Cheers,
    Jaap

  12. #12
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    66
    Hi Jaap

    Sounds good on the Constellation and if it's going to a fellow enthusiast then that's a good thing in my opinion. I hope the price is a good one. I can't see SC but good luck with the CS.

    How very generous of your friend's mother to donate the watches to the fundraiser. What a nice thing to do.

    Best regards, Chris

  13. #13
    Craftsman Dr Wolff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    485
    I'd be interested in the quartz de Villes if they are working. I have one that I inherited, but the module has gone. Any chance of finding out what is inside yours? I'm told replacements are hard to come by, but I am keen to revive my dad's old watch if I can

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •