closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which ISP?

Master
    Blog Entries

Question Which ISP?

Need to switch from BT. Talk talk, NOW broadband, sky and plusnet all seem to come around the same price of £20-£22 pm after cashback for the midrange fibre deals.

Which out of them would you opt for? Im not sure if any throttle your line or cap downloads etc.

Master
    Plusnet user now for 5 years.... no issues. I pay about forty quid a month for unlimited 60meg FTTC with a fixed IP and all landline and mobile calls. Up until last month it was about thirty five quid but recently went up a fiver :-(

Plusnet for me to, Fibre at full 80/20 speed, unlimited and very stable... including phone and line £36pm

I've been with plusnet for years and always been happy.

I will say though the upgrade I'm going through from very slow ADSL (2mbps) to fibre isn't being handled very well. It seems to be the norm as well reading the forums.

I was given an upgrade date of 8th March. Nothing happened, chased and was told sorry it will be the 12th. Email at 1am this morning to say complete. Nope, still on ADSL. Being advised it 'should' be setup today and the email was automatic for billing. Hmmmm.

I'd still recommend but the comms has been very disappointing

Master
    Blog Entries
    Plusnet doesn't sound too bad then. Think you get a £50 M&S voucher with them also.

Blog Entries
    Another Plusnet user got unlimited fibre, landline,calls up to 1hr 24/7 and message service for £38.00 pm just moved house and the change from the old to new was a week with decent comms both email and text.Like the fact that you are not talking to a “boiler room” in Asia if there is a problem.Also found Sky OK back in the day might be some offers if you are a subscriber but avoid BT like the plague.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I've been with plusnet for years and always been happy.

I will say though the upgrade I'm going through from very slow ADSL (2mbps) to fibre isn't being handled very well. It seems to be the norm as well reading the forums.

I was given an upgrade date of 8th March. Nothing happened, chased and was told sorry it will be the 12th. Email at 1am this morning to say complete. Nope, still on ADSL. Being advised it 'should' be setup today and the email was automatic for billing. Hmmmm.

I'd still recommend but the comms has been very disappointing
    Ditto... took three visits to get us changed to FTTC and, when the engineer finally turned up he said he didn't know why he had to visit anyway because I already had a VDSL compatible router and filter! Apart from that fiasco I've never had any issues with them.

Master
    Plusnet are good and vfm but as they couldn’t resolve a download speed of about 4mb to my London address I stopped over to fibre with Zen who are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Ditto... took three visits to get us changed to FTTC and, when the engineer finally turned up he said he didn't know why he had to visit anyway because I already had a VDSL compatible router and filter! Apart from that fiasco I've never had any issues with them.
    Same I have the router ready (I have a bt smart hub 6 but also the plusnet hub one). No activitation yesterday despite the bt engineer definitely visiting the cabinet as my neighbour on talktalk was activated.

Awaiting a call back but ruddy frustrating.

First problem I’ve had with them to be honest and saying that my adsl is working fine.

Master
    Whatever you decide, worth going through Quidco or TopCashBack - there are often very good deals that can give a decent chunk of cashback.

I moved to Plusnet a few months back, from BT. Plusnet seems to have an issue with Apple devices (a fact I only discovered via Google after I'd signed up). Broadly resolved by splitting the signal from the router but at the expense of signal strength.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Whatever you decide, worth going through Quidco or TopCashBack - there are often very good deals that can give a decent chunk of cashback.

I moved to Plusnet a few months back, from BT. Plusnet seems to have an issue with Apple devices (a fact I only discovered via Google after I'd signed up). Broadly resolved by splitting the signal from the router but at the expense of signal strength.
    I’m primarily an Apple household. MacBook ipad and iPhones. No issues at all with any of my devices on plusnet?

Master
    I’m primarily an Apple household. MacBook ipad and iPhones. No issues at all with any of my devices on plusnet?
    I would think this is something to do with the router and not plusnet as such. Change router or change Apple then. ;-)

Craftsman
    I've been with Plusnet about 4 months now, no problems whatsoever, I have 38mb fibre no phone calls included, I got cashback through TCB, and a £50 Amazon card through Plusnet themselves which make the monthly cost about £18. I moved from BT and continued using their Hub 6 router which is better than Plusnet own (Hub 5).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I would think this is something to do with the router and not plusnet as such. Change router or change Apple then. ;-)
    They sent a replacement router and that didn't cure the issue

It seems bizarre but, as I said, lots of Google hits when I searched. It was as if there was a limit on the number of Apple deices that could connect at one time. So, for example, my brother would come round and his iPhone just would not connect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    They sent a replacement router and that didn't cure the issue

It seems bizarre but, as I said, lots of Google hits when I searched. It was as if there was a limit on the number of Apple deices that could connect at one time. So, for example, my brother would come round and his iPhone just would not connect.
    Okay... for Plusnet+Apple users.... what is the make model of router that works and which one doesn't?
    tbh I don't use the Plusnet router (it's not up to what I need) and no apple products in the house so I can't really help BUT a comparison of which router works and which doesn't should give the answer.

Master
    Vodafone have been great for me. Line rental inc in their pricing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    I moved from BT and continued using their Hub 6 router which is better than Plusnet own (Hub 5).
    I think that's where I went wrong. I sent back my BT router (for recycling or whatever they do with them) before I realised. The Plusnet looks like a modern version of the BT one but, in my case, is vastly inferior. Never had a problem with the BT one. Completely ridiculous that there isn't a common standard now that BT own Plusnet.

Craftsman
    Just switched to Plusnet from ee supposed to be activated on the 20th, fingers crossed all is well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    I've been with Plusnet about 4 months now, no problems whatsoever, I have 38mb fibre no phone calls included, I got cashback through TCB, and a £50 Amazon card through Plusnet themselves which make the monthly cost about £18. I moved from BT and continued using their Hub 6 router which is better than Plusnet own (Hub 5).
    Thats good to hear as the hub 6 is pretty decent. Do you need to get passwords etc from plusnet or does it just work out the box?

Craftsman
    As far as I remember I just reset the Hub once Plusnet text me it was up and running and it worked. All the WiFi passwords, Hub menu etc stays the same making everything previously connected to WiFi continue to work.