closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches that are likely to climb in value?

Craftsman

Watches that are likely to climb in value?

Hello Gents, I wonder if you can help...

Until joining this forum very recently I knew next to nothing about watches.
    Now I have a rapidly growing fascination/obsession...

As a teenager, my father kindly offered me a watch for life.
    Having looked in a handful of London shop windows, I chose a stainless steel white face Rolex Daytona. Completely oblivious to the esteem with which it is held in watch circles.
    I am now staggered to learn that it has likely tripled in value whilst sitting on my wrist for 20 or so years. It is my daily wearer and for much of my ownership it has been my only watch.

I am also very lucky in that i have recently married, and now have two sons aged 1 and 2. With another baby due this summer.

I will never sell the Daytona for sentimental reasons. So in a way it's frankly silly current monetary value is irrelevant.
    It will be given to my first born son when I eventually shuffle off.

I now intend to use no. 2 son as a flimsy excuse to treat myself to another nice watch. To hand down of course!

Not only would I like something that is different, and therefore compliments, the daytona. (Tried on an Omega DSOTM today, which I liked very much).
    I was wondering if any brands, and models in particular, are likely to increase in value over time, along the lines of my daytona?

It was the simplicity of the Rolex chronograph that initially attracted me over the complexity of equivalent Breitlings etc.
    Now it seems to be Omega and IWC chronographs that I find myself being drawn towards.

I do not expect to inadvertently hit the jackpot again. As I seem to have with my Rolex, but am I correct in assuming that my long term investment would be safest with a limited edition model?
    Or is there an obvious choice out there, unknown to me?

Any advice humbly and gratefully received. By myself and No.2 one day.

I’d want to kill my father if he gave my brother a Daytona and me a DSOTM.

Were I in your situation, I’d opt for a black dial Daytona.

Whatever you do, don’t fall for a present day novelty watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    I am now staggered to learn that it has likely tripled in value whilst sitting on my wrist for 20 or so years. It is my daily wearer and for much of my ownership it has been my only watch.
    Does the above account for inflation and servicing costs ? If your motivation were solely financial, it’s also worth thinking about the opportunity cost of ‘investing’ in watches.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 13th March 2018 at 23:43.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Whatever you do, don’t fall for a present day novelty watch.

Does the above account for inflation and servicing costs ?
    Strangely the daytona has never been serviced, yet still running sweet and keeping good time. I plan to get it serviced if it ever plays up or stops altogether. (not sure if this is acceptable or blasphemy on here).
    As for inflation, I am not sure. It cost less than £4k new towards the beginning of this millennium. Did have to wait a few years for it to arrive though.

Thank you for the advice to be wary of modern day novelty watches. Are you suggesting the Omega DSOTM is such?
    I think I prefer a timeless simple aesthetic and despite having fairly large wrists, around 8 inches I think. I am not one for the trend of ever larger cases.

Master
    About the best you can realistically hope for is that any decent watch you get not have lost value over the years.

Add insurance , servicing and the possibility you might lose or destroy the watch in an accident then you should be buying primarily because you like the thing .

As an investment though you would be better advised putting the money some place else or paying down any loans or mortgages.

Probably some of the Omega Speedmaster Ltd Editions. If you can get hold of a Speedy Tuesday that will be £7k+ all day long in a couple of years. Likewise with the Speedy 60th.

Most Rolex Sports will increase over time

The ones you sell...

Master
    The Daytona will always keep its value while Rolex are in favour, remember that 30 years ago Omega were the brand most went after. I’ve a DSOM bought not long after they came out and I’ve always questioned it’s purchase over a Sea Dweller. I had a bi-metallic sub and got rid when I saw lots around but in the 28 months I’ve had the DSOM I’ve never seen another one out of a shop window. Would I sell it, only if I needed the cash quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

In the next few years Zenith will get the recognition they deserve.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    The ones you sell...
    Ah, so very true..

I wouldn't ever hope to make any sort of money buying a watch and I would think even the most obvious of watch investments still represents very high risk in the context of investments more broadly.

I have made a decent return on the obvious choice - a Rolex Submariner bought with full box and papers at the tail end of the recession. Low economic confidence, developing economies still suffering from the aftershock and the relatively strong sterling meaning there was no international market if you were a UK seller. That and rumours of a Rolex price increase (turned out to be the first of a couple) made it an obvious punt. Still probably only averaged 6% pa after the cost of a service has been carved out.

The key ingredient to investing in watches is not giving a shit if they turn out badly, enjoy the watch anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    The ones you sell...
    Ain't that the truth!

Apprentice

similar situation

Hi I have just joined the site also and am in a similar situation i had three watches stolen and they were my late father and uncles, as it turns out they seem to have been worth alot of money so the insurance tells me, so now i am looking for a diver type watch to pass onto my grandson NOW here is the tricky bit the insurance have issued vouchers so original vintage watches are out ,so what is the best bet for modern day tough divers watches that are workhorses ? cheers

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhum View Post
    Hi I have just joined the site also and am in a similar situation i had three watches stolen and they were my late father and uncles, as it turns out they seem to have been worth alot of money so the insurance tells me, so now i am looking for a diver type watch to pass onto my grandson NOW here is the tricky bit the insurance have issued vouchers so original vintage watches are out ,so what is the best bet for modern day tough divers watches that are workhorses ? cheers
    Usual suspects...
    Rolex Submariner (date or no date models)
    Tudor Black Bay or Pelagos
    Omega Planet ocean

There are many good watches in similar styles for much less as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kermorvan666 View Post
    Usual suspects...
    Omega Planet ocean

Am I being simple?
    Buy another Daytona the same age and they’ll have one each
    🐐

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Am I being simple?
    Buy another Daytona the same age and they’ll have one each
    🐐
    Was responding to AndyHums's request for ideas for a diver that could be handed down to his grandson. Agree for the OP - another Daytona sounds like a good choice.

By the time that No 2 is old enough to be given the watch, it's entirely possible that the whole mechanical watch market will have almost disappeared, as us old fogies who wear them start to shuffle off, and new generations who get their time from their phones or smartwatches eschew them.

The antiques world is awash with categories of items where the market has collapsed as fashions change.

Buy a watch that you like, wear it (and get a few knocks and scratches on it) and hope that No 2 treasures it because it was his dad's watch, and not because it's worth more that it cost when it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

The antiques world is awash with categories of items where the market has collapsed as fashions change.

I was pondering that as I walked around my local antiques furniture warehouse today, nobody wants old brown furniture anymore, the most expensive and desirable stuff there was mid century design classics from known designers/makers.

I remember lusting after Piranesi prints 20years ago, I just purchased a 1972 Munich olympics poster, tastes and values change over time, good luck trying to predict either.

Apprentice
    Usual suspects...
    Omega Planet ocean

Thanks very much for the recommendations i shall start my search again, i seem to be spoilt for choice then my sensible head kicks in and says get an everyday watch that i can knock about, I have a look at the captain cook rado and then every combination of seiko and citizen and get indecisive each time lol, atomic time or solar power, self winder or kinetic oh the choices lol

Master
    Blog Entries
    Usual suspects...
    Omega Planet ocean

Be a long time before a PO or pelagos appreciates considering they take a 50% haircut second hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Be a long time before a PO or pelagos appreciates considering they take a 50% haircut second hand.
    50% off for a second hand Pelagos? Point folk that dirrection as best I can see for the in house model is just under 2900. That’s less than 10% off. Even if that can be had cheaper I agree they won’t appreciate.

From my limited knowledge basically a steel Rolex sport watch is your best bet. Just be prepared to wait and shop around. Also, if it’s a lifetime purchase does it matter?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    50% off for a second hand Pelagos? Point folk that dirrection as best I can see for the in house model is just under 2900. That’s less than 10% off. Even if that can be had cheaper I agree they won’t appreciate.

From my limited knowledge basically a steel Rolex sport watch is your best bet. Just be prepared to wait and shop around. Also, if it’s a lifetime purchase does it matter?
    Not sure on the Tudor (pretty sure I have seen them at 2k ish on sales corner). POs are readily available at 2k ish. Current rrp circa 4.5-5k.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Not sure on the Tudor (pretty sure I have seen them at 2k ish on sales corner). POs are readily available at 2k ish. Current rrp circa 4.5-5k.
    Most omega watches can be had new at 20% off so 50% off used is not surprising.

Journeyman
    Scrub the omega recommendations. Probably best to stick with stainless steel non date submariner, and don't pay over list if buying new/ choose carefully if buying second hand.

Got carried away recommending a diver and forgot that the original point was that the watch might increase in value. For the rolex, i think you will need large inflationary increases over a long time to be in the black, as they aren't rare watches.

As others have said, once you factor in opportunity cost/servicing, i wouldnt bank on it making much, so choose one that you are happy / proud to wear, and eventually hand down.

I’d the shop still there from your first Daytona?

If so I’d revisit and tell them your tale as it’s a great sentiment

My money would be straight into another Rolex
    Sub date or Daytona all day long

Simple
    Stood the test of time
    Easy to move on should his need arise