closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let's get serious - the fried breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    The black pudding was actually nice but not as good as some of my local butchers.

No mean recommendation!

Ramsays of Carluke do a very good Ayreshire Middle bacon. One of the great things is - it fits in a roll !

Dingwall Blackpudding is good, but maybe a little bit sweeter than Stornaway.

I never have a fry up at home but love hotel cooked breakfasts. Only the 7 sausages on the plate. It was in a London Hilton so no tattie scone or square sausage. It was lovely !
    I generally find UK hotel breakfasts to be mediocre; most of the food is put out over hot plates to wither at the start of the sitting and left to deteriorate. When I used to travel around the UK for work I'd much rather stay in pubs or B&Bs as they normally cook a much smaller amount of covers to order.

It's been a few years now but I used to have dining rights at the BBC canteen in Broadcasting House and we had a standing competition on who could sneak the most rashers of bacon past the checkout (the premise being that you only paid for one). The record was also 7 and mostly involved the tactical use of baked beans.

I am in a minority as I dont like crispy bacon.
    I'm generally with you there but that looks a bit pallid and uninteresting.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Grand Master
    RED ALERT! RED ALERT! THERE IS GREEN STUFF ON THIS F.E.B.!!
    Surely thats illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    My Friday morning usual.

Job done.

R
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    It's been a few years now but I used to have dining rights at the BBC canteen in Broadcasting House and we had a standing competition on who could sneak the most rashers of bacon past the checkout (the premise being that you only paid for one). The record was also 7 and mostly involved the tactical use of baked beans.
    This also goes on at breakfast time in our 'restaurant' at HQ (we all still call it the canteen). You get a double breakfast score for smuggling a fried egg.

Pinched from the BBC today

Forget your smashed avocado or poached eggs, the humble fry-up remains the king of breakfasts. But what you get on your plate depends on where you order it. In England a fry-up usually consists of bacon, sausages, eggs (fried or scrambled), fried tomatoes, beans, hash browns, toast and black pudding.
    Northern Ireland is renowned for the Ulster fry, which has all the main components of a full English, but some key substitutions. Rather than hash browns, an Ulster fry features potato bread - fried potato pancakes - and soda farls, which is delicious soda bread made with buttermilk.
    Scotland has its own variation of potato bread known as the tattie scone, which is served with a traditional fry-up. Also a lorne sausage, which is square, is more common in Scotland than link sausages. You could also be given fruit pudding, which is made of flour, beef suet, sugar and currants.
    In Wales your traditional fry-up could come with laverbread, or "Welsh caviar" as actor Richard Burton referred to it. The local delicacy is boiled, minced or pureed seaweed which is fried and coated in oatmeal.”

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Pinched from the BBC today

Forget your smashed avocado or poached eggs, the humble fry-up remains the king of breakfasts. But what you get on your plate depends on where you order it. In England a fry-up usually consists of bacon, sausages, eggs (fried or scrambled), fried tomatoes, beans, hash browns, toast and black pudding.
    Northern Ireland is renowned for the Ulster fry, which has all the main components of a full English, but some key substitutions. Rather than hash browns, an Ulster fry features potato bread - fried potato pancakes - and soda farls, which is delicious soda bread made with buttermilk.
    Scotland has its own variation of potato bread known as the tattie scone, which is served with a traditional fry-up. Also a lorne sausage, which is square, is more common in Scotland than link sausages. You could also be given fruit pudding, which is made of flour, beef suet, sugar and currants.
    In Wales your traditional fry-up could come with laverbread, or "Welsh caviar" as actor Richard Burton referred to it. The local delicacy is boiled, minced or pureed seaweed which is fried and coated in oatmeal.”
    From experience the Ulster fry and the full Scottish can hold their own but Welsh Caviar, Burton would have been pissed.......................

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Burton would have been pissed.......................
    Wasn’t he always?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

At £18 - you get 92 sausages in total and pay 19p each and its free delivery. Use the code SIXNATION. Very good stuff, my second order.

https://www.campbellsmeat.com/produc...ampaign=EASTER

We just had an excellent brunch at Plum & Spilt Milk next to Kings Cross before heading to Mrs Draft’s frozen north. Haggis, duck egg, smoked bacon and black pudding- perfection!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Clonakilty is okay, but not superlative..........

McLeod's Stornoway blackpudding
    Speyside Speciality blackpudding
    Ramsays of Carluke blackpudding
    Malcolm Allan blackpudding.

All eclipse Clonakilty for quality.
    Macleod and Macleod Stornaway black pudding and

Ramsays dry cure bacon are both good.

Ramsays haggis are great....my favourite.

Fry your beans up in the frying pan once you have lifted your bacon out. This reduces and thickens the sauce....delicious. (Heating them up was mentioned in post 17)
    Last edited by johny; 9th April 2018 at 11:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I'm sure it's illegal to only have one egg.
    Correct...lol

Another one brought up on the Ulster fry as detailed by the others, also partial to adding some vegetable roll ( a local sausage meat with herbs and spices)the vital condiment to top it all off HP sauce
    Last edited by sid; 8th April 2018 at 16:01.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Fry your beans up in the frying pan once you have lifted your bacon out...delicious.

I think I mentioned this earlier, it really is the only way to do your (Branston) beans.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    At £18 - you get 92 sausages in total and pay 19p each and its free delivery. Use the code SIXNATION. Very good stuff, my second order.

thanks for posting this, just ordered!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

Black Pudding

Until recently I could take or leave it, however have recently discovered an Irish BP called Clonakilty which most supermarkets stock and it is SUPERB!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I think I mentioned this earlier, it really is the only way to do your (Branston) beans.
    Credit given in my amended post. lol

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    Until recently I could take or leave it, however have recently discovered an Irish BP called Clonakilty which most supermarkets stock and it is SUPERB!
    The connoisseurs choice. See earlier posts in this thread.............................

I enjoy a good ‘Ulster Fry’, however this is taking it too far. Served in a cafe in Belfast and known as the Goliath XXL. The record for finishing it is under 8 mins, held by an American called ‘Notorious Bob’!

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/new...-30871937.html
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 9th April 2018 at 22:36.

That Ulster Fry - lose the bread! Everything else would be gone in a jiffy.

Grand Master
    Originally Posted by luckywatch

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    thanks for posting this, just ordered!
    this just arrived with me and i have to say i'm disappointed, the meat content of most of the sausages is below 40%!!!
    i reckon these will end up in the bin, oh well. beware!
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 11th April 2018 at 17:08.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!