closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex bracelet refurbishment results experience

Rolex bracelet refurbishment results experience

hi, last year I sent my 5513 bracelet off to Michael Young in Hong Kong and he did an excellent job. Timescale was around ten weeks and of course it had to be sent to Hong Kong by courier and parcel pro insurance with similar to come back - the price in total was approx £250. I mentioned this service on the forum at the time and a couple of people suggested that Seth, the watchdealer.co.uk offered a good service and as I needed to have two more Rolex bracelets sorted I sent these to Seth in November. He was hoping to take approx four weeks to do the work but warned me that it could be longer and in the end it was more like three months but the results which arrived today were well worth the wait, both are at the same level as the one from Michael Young (which means excellent) and at a significantly lower price (plus none of the hassle of shipping to HK and worrying about customs etc). I would certainly recommend Seth and if you arent in a hurry the wait is worth it.
    Keith

Craftsman

Thanks for that!
    Always good to know these skilled people! Just had a look at his service prices and they are very competitive!

Craftsman
    Pictures?

Master
    ^ Yes please, even as someone who has never owned a Jubilee bracelet I always enjoy admiring Michael Young's work. Interested to see Seth's too.

Master
    I think someone on here had a not so good result from Michael Young from memory.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I think someone on here had a not so good result from Michael Young from memory.
    I’ve seen a handful ranging from “not good” to “awful”. The vast majority are OK though.

Craftsman
    Pictures please !!

ok il sort out a few pics later today when ive got a few minutes, no before shots though
    Keith

A few pics as requested, the first three from Michael Young, a folder sub bracelet fitted to my 5513, the next two, one is a 78360 from a GMT and a 93150 from a sub, both done by Seth. The ones done by Seth were particularly worn, especially the 78360 which was a floppy as a floppy thing can be (you can see how worn some of the links are but now its tight), I was actually planning to bin it and bought a jubilee to replace it but thought I would give it a go anyway and Im more than pleased with the outcome.
    Keith

M Young

Seth

Craftsman
    That looks like a very good job. Do you have pictures of the stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by wild84 View Post
    That looks like a very good job. Do you have pictures of the stretch?
    Here you go, as far as Im concerned they are pretty much stretch free now which was the main goal as opposed to finishing
    Keith:

Michael

Seth

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    Here you go, as far as Im concerned they are pretty much stretch free now which was the main goal as opposed to finishing
    Wow, amazing. Good to know this is possible. *bookmarked* :)

Banned
    i've always taken mine to trotters as they are local and results have always been excellent , not sure id be refurbishing an older rolex model or a vintage piece especially

This process has a strange fascination for me.

I presume the stretch is due to worn pins/screws but also worn holes. Do these master craftsmen drill out the holes to be true (but larger) and then manufacture or buy-in new custom pins/screws to use?

It really is a superb example of restoration and so refreshing in an age of increasing disposable goods.

img]

]

The thing that puts me off getting the bracelet refinished is when it’s so heavily done that the Rolex symbol on the clasp is almost worn away like in the pic above . The stretch is sorted but it really bugs me to hell when I see so many claps that have been polished so much that the Rolex sign has almost disappeared .

Could the OP comment on whether the bracelets had been previously polished, or whether the Coronet on the 93150 was removed in one sitting? The Coronet on the 78360 also looks to have lost it definition on the lower portion.

Grand Master
    The hardest part of this process will be getting the fixed links apart. I don`t know how this is done but it must require heat and force. The links will need checking for cracks where the fixed pins enter, on old Omega Rice-grain bracelets the pins rust, the rust expands, corrosion causes fine cracks which propagate under the pressure of the rust. Anyone buying an old bracelet should always look for cracks around the outer links, not sure whether this problem afflicts Rolex Oyster bracelets but I can imagine it being a problem on Jubilees.

The wear will be taken up using oversize pins, and the surfaces of the bracelet completely refinished. The end result looks and feels like a new bracelet. I`m sure there are a few more secrets to how it's done. Los of definition on raised logos is inevitable to some extent, but with care it can be kept to a minimum.

It's a pity that replacement bracelets are so expensive, the bracelet on a watch really should be treated as a consumable. I don`t get involved with Rolex stuff, I`ve worked on plenty of old Omega bracelets and had good results on some but scrapped others.

The good thing about Rolex replacements is the quality, which matches the originals Ca`t say the same for Omega, the replacements they sell for older watches often fall well short of the originals. Sad but true.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by wristwatchwoody View Post
    Could the OP comment on whether the bracelets had been previously polished, or whether the Coronet on the 93150 was removed in one sitting? The Coronet on the 78360 also looks to have lost it definition on the lower portion.
    The coronet was already worn prior to the refurb, its just possible that it was original to the watch (but I doubt it) in which case its from 1971 so deserves to be a bit worn.

Like crowns, I also consider bracelets to be consumables but its still a nice feeling to keep what the watch came with and make it usable again, all three were well passed their sell by dates and if they had been modern watches would have benefited from new bracelets (if I had the dosh to buy them), this process will let me wear them with less fear of a failure.

Keith

Journeyman
    Always nice to see a quality item getting a quality refurbishment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk