closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 'How much should I spend on a watch?' Watch buying advice from a Sunday supplement

'How much should I spend on a watch?' Watch buying advice from a Sunday supplement

Quite where he got the budget of £17,000 from is anyone's guess....I can't think it's normal to write to a Sunday newspaper for watch advice if that was a realistic or accurate budget....and blowing it on a Bremont is only a grand statement of stupidity unless it's Toby Wiseman's £17k and he happens to like the watch in question. Obviously splitting the budget is at least sound advice.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    More to the point 17k on Bell and Ross?

Editor of men’s health. Who else would you ask...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Someone good at maths? ;)

Master
    Someone wise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd have said you need to spend 9.2k, across 5 watches, 3 brands. One Swiss, one Japanese, one UK. At least one should have minimal water resistance and another 600m minimum. One must be two-tone. One should be plastic. One should irk others because it's too small. Another should irk because it's large and ungainly. One purchase should allow you to express disgust at the purchasing experience. Another should allow you to gush about it.

Just my tuppence......

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the laugh. I reckon Tim, Canterbury (if he exists) is still laughing, too.

The advice given started off badly but slowly improved towards the end of the article thank goodness.

17k on a Bremont or 17k on a Bell and Ross? Hmm let me think...

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    The advice given started off badly but slowly improved towards the end of the article thank goodness.
    Agreed. If only the rest of it was as good.

Craftsman
    £17k is such a random number to pluck out of thin air... but I guess the question didn't help much as it states nothing about the readers disposable income etc. Regardless, there's a lot of waffle in that article.

Master
    The best advice there was not to buy watches as 'investments.'

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    £17k is such a random number to pluck out of thin air... but I guess the question didn't help much as it states nothing about the readers disposable income etc. Regardless, there's a lot of waffle in that article.
    I'd understand if he'd gone for a price point of a popular PP model, but those two ones at 17k seem quite random. Bremont aren't exactly known for their PM models and Bell and Ross...well not sure what they're known for apart from square watches with poor QC.

Master
    Poor start and then 41 mm datejust and a trendy Tudor black bay dark, yer they are ok if not quite boring for 17 big ones. And men’s health, that’s just a magazine for teenage boys and fat middle age men (Toby wiseman) dreaming of getting a six pack in 3 months kinda thing. What a pile of tosh lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised he didn't advise a Daytona ;) Then some dressier watch to go with it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    That man is actually the biggest C- unit I have ever had the misfortune of encountering.

Utter total bellend.

Wasn't Tim Canterbury the character in 'The Office' played by Martin Freeman?

The Times. It's not what it used to be.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

In my view the article reads as though it was written by someone who does not really like watches. It does not capture the enthusiasm that many of us feel for our timepieces, whether that comes from a Genta designed case, a column wheel chronograph or a highbeat movement. To most people £17000 is a lot of money so if you are setting that as a theoretical budget you could at least try and explain why someone might be prepared to spend that much on a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Father Time View Post
    In my view the article reads as though it was written by someone who does not really like watches. It does not capture the enthusiasm that many of us feel for our timepieces, whether that comes from a Genta designed case, a column wheel chronograph or a highbeat movement. To most people £17000 is a lot of money so if you are setting that as a theoretical budget you could at least try and explain why someone might be prepared to spend that much on a watch.
    Agree. Also the airy treatment of vast sums as normal, then concluding with the "but my sentimental £25 swatch is more important" anecdote rings hollow to me as a self-aggrandising humblebrag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    We know how “pro active” the Bremont marketing team are so that might go some way to explain the inexplicable. A quick google suggests that Bremont get a lot of mentions in men’s health.

Master
    Men's Health magazine, is that the one for closet homosexuals who haven't had the balls to come out.

Asking for a friend.