closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Explorer II

Craftsman

Rolex Explorer II

16570. Are they depreciation proof? The prices of good used examples are very low when compared to a sub of the same vintage. I love the polar version. Very tempted to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    They are certainly one of the better value Rolex sport's watches. They are seeing a growth in value so I'd guess your money should be safe in one.

They are not as good as Submariners as you say regards depreciation but are still a good buy as far as watches go.

I sold a 2006 polar Explorer a few years ago to a friend for a reasonable £2150. I would suspect that same watch in the same condition today would cost you around £3500.
    So my friend is happy and I'm sure you would be too.

I nearly bought one a couple of years ago when they could be picked up for £2.5-3k.
    They’re fetching £3.5-4k now so will probably continue to appreciate in value. Particularly as the 16570 isn’t made anymore and many people prefer it to the larger 116570.

Craftsman
    The 16570 is the one of the best tool watches Rolex has produced.
    Very nice understated stealth Rolex. Fit for almost any type of wear situation.

If I remember correctly, I paid £2.5K for a brand new one in 2008.

I do not see these losing any value, in fact there will be small gains in value.

As others have already stated, they go for quite strong money now, which makes me regret not picking one up a few years back - not to make money, but just because it’s understated, tough & looks great (probably my second favourite Rolex after the Submariner, and better proportioned than the current 216570 version).

Do a little research into them, because the later ones had some overlapping changes that affect desirability & price e.g. solid end-links, lug-holes, change from 3185 movement to the 3186, engraved rehaut, luminova etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Do a little research into them, because the later ones had some overlapping changes that affect desirability & price e.g. solid end-links, lug-holes, change from 3185 movement to the 3186, engraved rehaut, luminova etc.
    In addition there is also the 'thin frame' dials which looks different to the usual polar dials. Whichever iteration you opt for, it is a very nice watch.

I bought my 16570 black dial in December 2016 and they are selling on average now for roughly £500 to £700 more then what I paid for mine so there's definitely a profit to be made. I think the prices will continue to rise,not at the same rate as gmts and subs etc but then again they are proportionately cheaper to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Mmm might have to hang on to my tritium black dial then if there on the rise.

Craftsman
    What year did they end production on the 16570 ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
    They are not as good as Submariners as you say regards depreciation but are still a good buy as far as watches go.

I sold a 2006 polar Explorer a few years ago to a friend for a reasonable £2150. I would suspect that same watch in the same condition today would cost you around £3500.
    So my friend is happy and I'm sure you would be too.
    I’m not trolling here but what makes you say “not as good as Submariners”?

Craftsman
    I think he means they are not as good on the depreciation, ie they depreciate more than a sub.

Master
    Yep that makes sense - just re-read (properly this time)!

It’s my favourite watch, and I wouldn’t hesitate to get one. A good example at the right money will hold its value, and will probably make enough to cover the essential servicing costs. There will be Rolex watches with better price growth, but as a package it’s a solid choice, and at a more accessible price than the better known Sub and GMT.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    What year did they end production on the 16570 ?

2011 I think

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I reckon there is great value to be had in the black faced Exp II 16570. I have personally seen a glut of these in a dealers in Hatton garden (probably +12).

I keep having to persuade myself not to buy one to match my Polar model.

Craftsman
    is the original Explorer black or white face?

Got a white face one about 10 years ago as an engagement present and its been superb. Very classy and understated. Will never sell it but nice to know its gone up about 50-100%

Apprentice
    Perhaps the best example of Explorer II appreciation in value would be the original 1655.

$400.00 US in 1972 and going anywhere for $15-25K+ nowadays.

Master
    A 16570T with 3186 movement is probably the best choice, investment wise.

Craftsman
    I tried on a 16570 today, its too small for me.
    I then tried a 216570 and it's a great size. Tried a Polar and a black face, the Polar is stunning, but not sure I could live with it. The black face was a better option.