closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster advice /opinions wanted

Master

Speedmaster advice /opinions wanted

Hi

I was in the Omega Boutique last week (picking up a strap for another member) and I tried on a couple of Speedmasters - both were the standard versions, one had the hesalite and the other sapphire.

I really liked the look of the hesalite version, especially once the assistant pointed out that with the sapphire there was a kind of extra ring inside between the dial and the case.

Anyway, I also like the 1957 'Patch' edition.

So question is - what's the difference between the 'standard' version of today and the 'Patch' version?? Does the patch version also have the ring inside? I know the patch edition is an older one so I'd be looking at a used one, but would like to understand the differences initially. I'm not really up on Speedmasters so don't know the version numbers etc.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    This is an excellent start on all Speedy stuff: http://speedmaster101.com/overview-1/

Here you go:

Hesalite crystal
    on steel
    Hesalite crystal
    on leather
    Sapphire crystal
    on steel
    Sapphire crystal
    on leather
    Sapphire crystal
    50th Anniversary 'Patch'

...so yes, the Patch model will have the inner ring associated with the sapphire crystal (see links for pictures).

Craftsman
    Hesalite is better looking than sapphire, but less practical for daily wearing. You’ll also notice that the sapphire crystal doesn’t curve that same way the hesalite does, it has a noticeable step instead.

I personally prefer hesalite but I actually own a speedy with sapphire, not for any reason other than the fact that the model I wanted (the FOIS: https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...1132403001001/) only came with sapphire.

I would say buy the model you want first and crystal second. If you love the original moonwatch then I’d say go hesalite. But if you prefer the patch, then just get it and don’t worry about the crystal. I think you’re more likely to continue pining after a special edition speedy you really love rather than wishing you had hesalite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks all. Some great stuff there and good advice.

I'll take a proper look at the links and its good to have the reference numbers for the various versions.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Thanks all. Some great stuff there and good advice.

I'll take a proper look at the links and its good to have the reference numbers for the various versions.

Other Speedmasters are available...

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Hesalite is ... less practical for daily wearing.
    Nonsense. Mine's been worn for six years without bother and for five years before that by the previous owner. It's eminently practical.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Nonsense. Mine's been worn for six years without bother and for five years before that by the previous owner. It's eminently practical.
    Well said, and if you scuff hesalite it's easily sorted for a few pennies.

Master
    I got Hesalite Speedy last April i think, worn it quite regular even work ect, and apart from a few very light scratches that can only be seen in certain light at certain angles its pretty much damage free, i did but a tube of polly watch thinking it would be almost a monthly ritual using it, but the tube remains unopened

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

The problem with the sapphire crystal is (at least for me) that once you see the white ring, you can't unsee it. Personally I am glad that I chose the hesalite crystal. OTOH, if that ring doesn't bother you then sapphire is a great choice.

Master
    another vote for the hesalite here,its a fundamental part of the speedy's classic look.

I just polished another acrylic crystal (not on an Omega watch). Took me three minutes, and it looks brand new again. I probably need to polish it again in a year from now, but that's not a big deal.

On a Speedmaster, it takes me a bit longer, because I tape off the bezel and gap first. Still under ten minutes, I guess?

But then, there's a video on YouTube from someone who got a quote for the sapphire crystal replacement on his Speedmaster ... he wasn't happy.

Big fan of the patch edition here. For me the sapphire is a positive, when my young lads get hold of them they'll be able to take the daily knocks and still look sharp. I do like the hesalite too!

I own the Sapphire Sandwich version as well as a couple of limited editions with sapphire. I just prefer the durability of sapphire crystal.

I can't say I have ever noticed this 'milky' ring and when it was pointed out to me I was, "Really!" and I still don't notice it now!

Can someone who owns both the hesalite and sapphire versions post a quick photo up as I am interested in what this white ring looks like (I have the hesalite version).

Master
    Yesterday I noticed a scratch nearly 1" long on the lens of my 39mm Explorer. I don't know how it got there, but it is there. I was really annoyed when I first saw it but have now accepted it and it can stay there until the next service in 2020.

If it had been plexi, I could have polished it out in 5 minutes.

You just got to live with it.

Another vote for hesalite. Had mine for 7 years now and only used poly once.

I used to wear the watch all of the time but its in a rotation now.

The hesalite version also has a more truthful caseback inscription...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The hesalite version also has a more truthful caseback inscription...
    In what way? None of the current watches are identical to that which went to the moon so is a change of crystal more damning than a change of movement, removal of the dial step, tritium etc etc?

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Can someone who owns both the hesalite and sapphire versions post a quick photo up as I am interested in what this white ring looks like (I have the hesalite version).

Apart from the photo above (hint, the Tintin 311.30.42.30.01.004 has a hesalite crystal) and links to pictures, just Google "Speedmaster milky ring" and select images.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I can't say I have ever noticed this 'milky' ring and when it was pointed out to me I was, "Really!" and I still don't notice it now!
    You are a lucky man ;-)

Master
    I have both and can't say as I have any problem with how the sapphire looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    In what way? None of the current watches are identical to that which went to the moon so is a change of crystal more damning than a change of movement, removal of the dial step, tritium etc etc?
    By omitting 'AND ONLY'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    By omitting 'AND ONLY'.
    Ok yes, they do need to change that if they haven't already.

I love the fact it says 'and only', and I really don't care if it's inaccurate, i like the chest banging. Also, dont forget of course that these 'error' casebacks will be worth a fortune in years to come don't you know.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Apart from the photo above (hint, the Tintin 311.30.42.30.01.004 has a hesalite crystal) and links to pictures, just Google "Speedmaster milky ring" and select images.
    Ah - I cannot see any pictures (probably caught by my works internet security measures). I will look from home later.