closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home Design CAD Software

Home Design CAD Software

I've done a bit of a search but not come up with anything substantial so I thought this was worth asking...

Does anyone have any recommendations for some basic CAD software for sketching out ideas for extending and converting my new house?

I don't need it to be super-slick - just something that I can use to play around with ideas and maybe visualise the results in 3D before briefing an architect. Needs to be Mac based.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone have any recommendations for good books about building/renovation.

Many thanks in advance.

Take a look at 'Sketchup'

I have a free version and it's great for doing simple stuff, without going the full ACAD route.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Take a look at 'Sketchup'
    ^ This.

Quite intuitive and surprisingly capable. A few hours self taught tinkering using only basic functions and I managed to produce a simple but decent enough 3D model of my gaff, inside and out. Quite useful for visualising any potential improvements or extensions. I used it to help the mrs understand some planned internal alterations.

Mine is Windows PC based, but I believe there is a Mac version too.

Not for Mac, but while we're here, DraftSight is a free AutoCad clone, that can read and write .dwg files.

https://www.3ds.com/products-service...free-download/

DraftSight certainly does work on a Mac, I have it on mine. It's not, however, particularly suited to a beginner - perfect for me though, as I've been using AutoCAD since it ran under DOS! Also, it's very much 2D only but you can't argue with the price..

Cheers,

Plug

Thanks. The free version seems only to exist as an online thing - doing your design on the actual website rather than downloading the software. Is that how you used it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My version is on my PC, nothing online. Pro version. However, I just loaded it up and it's a 30 day trial and it's since expired

I see that the full version costs $695 so, no doubt, far too expensive for a casual/one-off project!

It's a good program though, so download the trial, and do your stuff within 30 days :-)
    Last edited by Mouse; 11th March 2018 at 19:21. Reason: added info

Just found the archived 'offline' versions so have downloaded it and will give it a go.

If anyone is interested, they're here.

https://www.sketchup.com/download/all

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    ^ This.

Quite intuitive and surprisingly capable. A few hours self taught tinkering using only basic functions and I managed to produce a simple but decent enough 3D model of my gaff, inside and out. Quite useful for visualising any potential improvements or extensions. I used it to help the mrs understand some planned internal alterations.

Mine is Windows PC based, but I believe there is a Mac version too.

That's a good effort, I struggled with the basics

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sketchup is the one I'd recommend too. Takes a bit of mucking about but you can get some decent results pretty quickly.
    I used to use one called Plan3d. It wasn't free but was cheap and was pretty good.

Another vote for Sketchup.

Most of the Architects I work with, who also have fully paid up subscriptions to professional CAD software, still use Sketchup for 3D images of their domestic projects as it is so powerful yet relatively simple to use. It is a cracking piece of software when you get the hang of it and LOADS of tutorials on YouTube too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sketchup also has a massive open source 3D warehouse too, which is handy for populating a model with stuff.