closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CL 500 owners advice

Craftsman

CL 500 owners advice

Inspired by the couple of CL500s that recently sold on SC, I bought one. I love the car - it's 13 years old and feels and drives like new. But I have a question: what's considered to be a normal running temperature? Mine seems to run between 80 and the high 90s... is this normal? I'm not getting any warning lights telling me the engine is overheating, but I've never owned a car where the temperature went much above the half way point on the gauge, so this is a bit unnerving!

Sounds about right, our C63 would sit in the mid to high 90s or low hundreds if making progress

Master
    Would really like to see some pics of your car if you are able to share.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Would really like to see some pics of your car if you are able to share.
    +1.... I've seen a few for sale locally since the ones sold here and would love one. Bit afraid of the abc issues mind you.

Master
    Completely normal. The gauge is a bit odd in that 'normal' is not in the middle (where the 80 mark is). My SL is exactly the same and quite a few MB owners ask the same thing.

Sounds bang on to be honest.

Do you have any plans to do any mods or add anything to it??

Some pics always welcome, they are handsome cars.

Craftsman

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies: I'm relieved to hear the temperature range is normal.

I'll post some pics when I next wash it, but until then, a bit of information... it's a 2005 car in silver with 80k on the clock and a comprehensive service history - loads has been spent on Keeping it in tip-top condition (and the ABC was overhauled at the start of 2017) .

As I mentioned, I was tempted by the two CLs that appeared on SC recently - they looked like well kept cars, but were just too far away. So it was a nice surprise to spot on as I was driving past a dealer local to me: tucked away at the back of the forecourt, almost hidden from view. I stopped and had a look at it and was immediately smitten.

I got talking to the dealer and he said he'd taken it in PX a couple of days previously and wasn't sure whether to prep it for sale (to be honest, he normally deals with much newer and even more prestigious cars) or use it himself.

He offered a test drive and that was all it took... I paid a deposit and picked it up two weeks later, after the dealer had done a 'B service' and put a fresh MOT on it, together with a new mirror indicator lens, which had a tiny stone chip in it. When I was going through the paperwork I noticed the name of the garage that had been servicing it: turns out it was run by a guy that lives around the corner from me - he's been servicing my cars for years and is as diligent a mechanic as you could ever wish to meet...

Anyway, it's an awesome car: very good looking, swift and a wonderful thing to drive: I don't plan to do anything to it other than enjoy driving it - it's more than enough car in standard trim for me.

Master
    Sounds spot on. I collected our e55 from central London and promptly got stuck on the A4 coming out. Temp maxed at 100 and I was bricking it, anything else would be (literally) boiling at that. But no warning lights and all seemed well. Got out and temp dropped to high 80s and its been there ever since. Superb car and yes that's how the temp range works.

Not you as well... those CLs have caused much debate round this way as I’d have loved one. Huge amount of car for no money.

I find myself listing after one also.