closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex service

Rolex service

Well I'm not to impressed with my first Rolex service.

My 14060M is a 2011 model and some time ago while welding I picked a small mark on the Chrystal. I thought I would wait until a service was due.
    I took my watch into the local dealer after speaking to them. They said they would handle the postage free of charge if I except the quote from Rolex.

When I dropped off the watch I pointed out the mark on the Chrystal and they took notes and we agreed the watch was in excellent condition and keeping good time.
    The only reason it was going was for an age related service and a replacement chrystal.

I waited several weeks for the quote to come through but heard nothing. I phoned the AD and asked if they had heard anything to which replied no but would ring Rolex and find out. They phoned back a little later and said everything is fine all it needed was a service and it would be back this week.

Today I get a call from the AD to say my watch is ready to collect. I ask is there a mark on the chrystal over S in Submariner they reply yes there is.
    I have asked them to return the watch to Rolex and ask why this obvious mark was not seen by their service department.

Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

Craftsman
    I would always deal direct with Rolex. You will get a very detailed breakdown of service costs and any optional items that you may want replacing but are non-essential. This sounds a little like the AD playing silly buggers.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe the crystal was functional and didn't need changing?

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I thought Rolex always replace even cosmetic issues even though they have no bearing on function unless otherwise requested? They want them to look 'as new' once returned.

RSC ignoring customer requests - that would be a new subject :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Rolex usually get criticised for replacing bits that are ok. This is a bit unusual.

I send a number of watches to Ruk each year and I’ve definitely noticed their quality control has slipped on a few occasions recently, mainly with timekeeping not being within tolerance after service,but also with requested items being missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    I send a number of watches to Ruk each year and I’ve definitely noticed their quality control has slipped on a few occasions recently, mainly with timekeeping not being within tolerance after service,but also with requested items being missed.
    How many would you say you send each year?

Rolex estimates usually come through within about 3 days so something wrong at the AD's I think - maybe a missed emailed estimate?

Rolex will probably have recommended that the glass could be replaced for cosmetic reasons, but if it was going to compromise the waterproofness of the watch would have insisted on it.

Had the OP received the estimate he should have had in the first place he would have been able to make his own choice.

It does sound like a breakdown in communications between the AD and Rolex.

I phoned the dealer again to confirm the chrystal was mentioned when the watch was sent in.
    They confirmed it is written in the notes and that Rolex were made aware of the mark.

They phoned the service centre again today to ask why it was not changed and was told it was not changed due to it not having any affect on the waterproofing of the watch.
    They went on to say I could send it back and they would charge for refitting the chrystal.

So it looks like even though they were asked to change the chrystal and didn't they think it fair I should pay for their incompetence.

The AD Micheal Spiers in Exeter have been very good and appear to agree with me on this. I will have an update tomorrow after the manager has looked into it.

Hopefully something positive will happen tomorrow but at the moment my view of rolex service has been seriously tainted.

Look on the bright side, at least they didn't damage your watch, or replace items with the wrong parts, whilst it was in their care.
    These have been the theme of a number of recent threads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
    I phoned the dealer again to confirm the chrystal was mentioned when the watch was sent in.
    They confirmed it is written in the notes and that Rolex were made aware of the mark.

They phoned the service centre again today to ask why it was not changed and was told it was not changed due to it not having any affect on the waterproofing of the watch.
    They went on to say I could send it back and they would charge for refitting the chrystal.
    Was there explicit instructions to replace the crystal given to Rolex Service? I always find sending direct to the service centre avoids any ambiguity - be it Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc. I am somewhat surprised you had no notice of estimate after three days or so.

Maybe phone up Rolex St James and speak to the service manager to explain your dissatisfaction and see what they can do.

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Maybe phone up Rolex St James and speak to the service manager to explain your dissatisfaction and see what they can do.
    From my experience the answer would be a big fat nothing - they don't even have the courtesy to return calls :(
    I'm only glad that I had a supportive AD to help me out.
    Hopefully the OP will have a better experience.

Blog Entries
    My experience is very good if you are able to pop into 19 St James Square, otherwise try: 020 7024 7300

For the last one I took to st James they took it in then mailed a quote including findings of superficial inspection, standard service charge and a breakdown of ‘extras’, that were optional at extra cost. Crystal was in extras.... I’d want to see the paperwork from Rolex to see what was actually requested by the AD.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    My experience is very good if you are able to pop into 19 St James Square, otherwise try: 020 7024 7300
    I tried calling there in person as well as the service manager at RSC Kent 01732 752400.
    Same result :(

Apprentice
    Acrylic crystals are always replaced during an authorized Rolex servicing. Sapphire crystals are a judgement call being that they are somewhat expensive to replace. If you requested a new sapphire crystal, the repair facility should have informed you of the additional cost to replace it and upon your authorization, proceed with the replacement.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    Acrylic crystals are always replaced during an authorized Rolex servicing.
    False.

Crystal not Chrystal!

Apprentice
    False.
    Maybe not in the UK but here in the United States, acrylic crystals on 4-digit models are regularly replaced as part of an RSC service interval (unless the customer requests that they not do so). It has something to do with ensuring the WR rating.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    Maybe not in the UK but here in the United States, acrylic crystals on 4-digit models are regularly replaced as part of an RSC service interval (unless the customer requests that they not do so). It has something to do with ensuring the WR rating.
    I was also told this by the local AD who is in the UK. I regularly swim with a 38 yr watch on my wrist and I am not going to haggle over the cost of an acrylic crystal.
    Last edited by Mick P; 9th March 2018 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    How many would you say you send each year?
    It varies but I suppose around five or six, however the last three had some issues one being a DSSD that they forgot by their own admission to change an obviously scratched Sapphire in,even though it was requested in our instructions

Craftsman
    What is the cost to service a 1980s ladies datejust these days? (assuming just a base service without any replacements)

Thanks

Update

I have an update on my service.

The AD phoned me this morning. They have offered to return the watch to Rolex and pay for the fitting of a new crystal (correctly spelt I hope) themselves.

I will of course have to pay for the crystal itself but apart from the time of about two weeks it should not cost me any more.

I feel the AD has done everything it can to help me with this and they have been very apologetic. I'm still not sure why this happened but I think the result is as good as I am likely to to get.

I would also like to point out that I have no relationship with the AD as I did not buy this watch or anything else from them. They are well out of pocket covering the shipping twice over and the re fitting of the crystal.

Grand Master
    Poor performance, poor communication. I would always enclose a covering letter with a watch.

Shocked that someone would weld with ANY metal watch on, absolutely crazy thing to do. Wear something cheap and plastic for stuff like that!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Poor performance, poor communication. I would always enclose a covering letter with a watch.

Shocked that someone would weld with ANY metal watch on, absolutely crazy thing to do. Wear something cheap and plastic for stuff like that!

Paul
    Didn't the Submariner grow up as a true tool watch with the Comex divers where welding whilst wearing the watch was commonplace?
    Not something I'd advocate today due to the current value of Rolex watches - but each to their own...
    Either way, it's good to hear that the OP is going to get it sorted - and a great way to show the value of a supportive AD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
    I have an update on my service.

The AD phoned me this morning. They have offered to return the watch to Rolex and pay for the fitting of a new crystal (correctly spelt I hope) themselves.

I will of course have to pay for the crystal itself but apart from the time of about two weeks it should not cost me any more.

I feel the AD has done everything it can to help me with this and they have been very apologetic. I'm still not sure why this happened but I think the result is as good as I am likely to to get.

I would also like to point out that I have no relationship with the AD as I did not buy this watch or anything else from them. They are well out of pocket covering the shipping twice over and the re fitting of the crystal.
    Do you have any paperwork from RSC? I wouldn’t be surprised if the AD tried to deal in house and charge you. My experience of RSC is excellent, full breakdown of all work essential and optional posted to me for me to confirm I’m happy to proceed. They wouldn’t do anything until I confirmed I was happy to proceed and they only did what I asked. I have also been in several times to sort bent claps etc always dealt with no question and without charge.

My money would be on the AD being the weak link....remove the middle man.