closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How long did you wait before getting a new dog?

How long did you wait before getting a new dog?

Well the wife (and me) is sad today as it's a year to the day since we had to have our rescue dog suddenly put down due to a short aggressive illness.

My question is how long did any of you wait who have been through something similar before getting a new pooch? We have started to look half heartly at rescue dogs again but the main issue is the wife wants a dog that has similar temperant to the previous one and I feel that she'll aways compare the new with old and never be happy. I think it affects her more as we don't have kids and I work away half the year so she was with the dog 24/7.

Not even sure what I'm expecting posting but feeling a bit down and just need to ask.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

How long did you wait before getting a new dog?

1 month (not planned) but our younger dog was terrible when the old springer died and laid on his grave in the garden pining most of the time. Made my grieving process ten times harder too. Called up a breeder to ask about their next litter (was planning 6 months ahead) to be told she had an unwanted choc lab available there and then. Bit shocked but went with it and was the best thing we did all-round.

My old boy Barney. He taught me everything about dogs and was very patient with me as a beginner. Miss him terribly.

The Boys

Last edited by Chinnock; 8th March 2018 at 12:12.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Stu,

We previously had a rescue dog which lived to 12 and we waited about 6 months before getting our current pair of trouble makers. For info we are also without children and i work away a majority of the time.

The problem is our first dog was a pretty unemotional (due to his poor start in life) Lab-X who although we loved didn't provoke the same response as our current two who are always looking for affection, want to play etc. I am dreading the day we lose them and not sure we could ever replace them but common sense tells me a new pup would soon find a place in your wifes heart.

Hope you work it out.

Best regards,
    Tom

Blog Entries
    When we lost Barley whose pic is my avatar we were devastated and didn't think we would get another dog. After less than a year however we decided we missed having a dog around so got Freddie the cocker spaniel.
    Yes sometimes you compare to your previous dog, it's inevitable, but all dogs have different personalities so they will be different. And rehoming a rescue dog is really worthwhile, as there are so many who just need a second chance.

Barley, charmer of people, who we still miss......

And Freddie who looks after us now........
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 8th March 2018 at 13:15.

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

After losing our golden retriever to cancer age 5 I was heartbroken and I planned to 'see what it was like' to have no dog, with increased freedom and less responsibility, etc.

I work from home so it's not actually much of a hassle to have pets around and a lunchtime walk gets me out of the house. Needless to say it was unbearable not having the company and the house was so quiet... I lasted exactly 1 month before our new puppy came home, and it would've been sooner if not for waiting until she was ready to leave mum.

What's the point in delaying the inevitable?

We’ve been about eight months now but we end up babysitting my youngest daughter’s most days so don’t feel the need to get another dog yet.

I think you’ll know when it’s time or the right dog finds you!

Get yourselves 'whole-heatedly' back to the rescue centre and see what happens. You will know when you find the right one, as he/she will probably find you! It is easier said than done, but you should give another dog a great home as soon as you are feeling ready to do so.

I cant even begin to imagine living in my house without my dogs in it, as it would cease to be a 'home'.

As others have said, you will never 'replace' your previous dog, as they are all so very different.

ATB

You'll know when the time is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    17 years! Although my dog didn’t pass, she just left my life.

When I left my ex I moved back in with my parents (who had a pair of dogs) so I had to leave my old dog with her for a better life, and unfortunately due to our very tempestuous relationship and the fact my ex was an absolutely raving nutcase (I once woke to find her sat at the end of the bed with a large kitchen knife in her hand. I can only assume I talk in my sleep!) I couldn’t see the bitch anymore. Or the dog!

When I met Mrs RJM she’d never had a dog and didn’t like the idea..... it took 15 years to talk her around! Now they’re onseperat and I’ve already said when the day comes, we’ll be at the rescue centre again soon afterwards. There’s so many need rescuing......

Thanks very much for the comments chaps and some lovely pictures. I'm due away to work next week for 6weeks so on my return we'll start looking at the local rescue centers. Has anyone had any experience with rescue dogs from spain etc?

Master
    I have had dogs off and on for the last 30 years but because we now spend so much time abroad, it would be unfair to have another one. But we still miss them all the same.

We had my ex boss around for dinner this Tuesday and he is now a widower and absolutely dotes on his terrier and asked if he could bring it along and we naturally agreed. The evening went well, the dog was no trouble and at 11.00pm he and the dog departed. After doing a bit of internet surfing I retired to bed, had a shower and walked naked into a spare bedroom to do something and stood in something cold and slippery which was followed by a revolting smell. The dog had left a "deposit" and I had to hop one legged back into the shower to rinse my foot off and then clean up the carpet.

It has put me off dogs a little bit.

It’s much better to keep more than one dog, and to keep dogs with staggered ages. At present I have four aged between 6 to nearly 16. Having others makes it easier when the inevitable comes and steers you to taking on a new young pack member. It also makes my life much easier as mine spend around 30% of their time in boarding kennels where they have each other for company. I could never keep a single dog and kennel it for the amount of time I’m away.

Master
    We were ready for a new dog after about 12 months but due to the Mrs being pregnant by then and not knowing what to expect with a baby etc we waited almost 2 years but the second year was horrible because we wanted one so badly but didn’t want to rush in until we figured what changes a baby would make.
    Now we have 3 kids and the dog ( Henry the boxer) has been superb with all of them from being babies to now a toddler a 3 year old terroist and a 6 year old who’s going on 36, he’s been dressed up as a princess chased by electric cars and ridden like a pony but he loves it and goes looking for them to play with.
    If you are thinking of another then you are ready, take your time and enjoy the process of looking you will know when you meet them.

Lost my lurcher last year after 10 years,she was a Bedlington whippet cross . I lasted about 3 months , have always had rescue dogs but decided to get a puppy as hopefully I will have him a long time. Got a Bedlington terrier best thing I ever did . Regarding rescuing dogs from Spain , I think there are enough dogs in this country that need homes.

Craftsman
    We waited 6 months to replace a 3 year old male border terrier we had lost through my own ignorance with a 7 year old mini schnauzer bitch.
    It wasn't long enough and proved to be a mistake.

Lost our Murphy end of Jan, Irish water spaniel cross we got just over 9yrs ago as a pup from dogs trust. Half looking now, but going to look seriously after our easter holiday, As heart breaking as losing him was, we'd get one now, house feels too empty, but Murphy was going to stay with friends at Easter, but can't do that to a new pup. Want a rescue again, but tricky finding someone happy to give us one with cats and 2 kids under 8.

Master
    Blog Entries
    After always having a dog since we married 42 years ago, the longest we have ever gone is 6 months. We just love a dog in our lives, my wife especially.

Master
    When we lost Deefa 8 years ago I took about a week to decide I needed another dog or to move house. It just seemed empty without my canine companion & that was made worse by my working from home.

Found a local breeder and collected our new boy approx 3 months later (waited for a specific breeder/litter)

Master
    Been 3 years since we had our second do put down just one year after the other one :-(

I'm keen to get another but SWMBO says she couldn't go through the heart ache again :-(

OP: my advice would be to discuss and decide if both of you are ready to start looking for another dog now. If so, then get on with it! ;-)

We lost both of ours in quick succession late last year and we've decided to start now looking for either one or two rescue's. Probably one at first then another after a few months. The first will ideally be already house-trained and with no major issues as we'd also like to offer a home to a rescued 'puppy-farm' dog and they benefit greatly from having a resident dog to 'learn from'.

The girls we lost last year, even looking at their photo brings a lump to my throat.

Good luck.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Six years after my dear little girl Deana (in my avatar) passed, we really couldn't face getting another BT.

I went to look at a litter, all very nice but excused myself and just ran away!

We got Dot who was one year old because the previous owners, a neighbours sister, had been bitten and were afraid of her and my neighbour knowing I loved Bullies asked if we would take on Dot.

We did and she's one of the family now.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

How big’s a hole?

There is no set time yet mate, whenever you’re ready. Lost my boy three years ago last November at 13, not a bad innings for a very tall border collie. Had to get him out to sleep, cancer. Will be four years this November, and I’m still not ready. Circumstances don’t permit at the moment either, but one day.

Thank you everyone for all the advice and lovely pictures. I think we'll definitely start looking when I get home from work, we need a dog in our life. Time to start googling rescue centres in the east midlands / Leicestershire area unless anyone has any recommendations?

Betcha a quid to a tenner as soon as you walk in the rescue centre ,something with four legs will decide that they are coming home with you .
    Yep our furry friends do the picking of new owners ,we just sort of go along with it.

Four year back we lost our two dogs (Pepe and Ollie) and our 18 year old cat (Fluffy) in the space of 12 months and even at my age each passing brought more than a tear to my eyes :(

After the pain of loosing them I swore that at our age we wouldent have any more pets as it's just too painful when they pass, REALLY is.

But the house just wasent the same without them running about, greeting us, making a mess, picking up the poo in the garden etc etc.

Within no time we got Bailey and 12 months later Max (Mad Max because he is:) ) and they are a real PITA and so demanding and we wouldent have it any other way :)

Blog Entries
    I couldn’t be without a pooch now…. It’s up to the individual as to when they’d feel ready…

Lesson learned…. I just showed all the nice dog pictures to my 9 year old and she asked why people were showing pictures of their dogs…. I paused and told her the truth…. 30 mins later and a river of tears and she’s only just let go of Dudley…. These beasts are so loved by us all…

Craftsman
    When I lost my first dog I swore I’d not have another but I couldn’t last, the house just didn’t feel right. About 6 weeks later we’d rescued a husky, quickly followed by another about 3 months later.

We had to have one pts last summer and we’re looking for another, although not likely another husky.

It’s extremely difficult to return to a house without a dog when you’ve always had them. Even though you may shy away and know the heartache likely to come. I can’t think of a better use of the saying, better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

Blog Entries
    Back in the late 70s and early 80s we (my parents and I) had this enormous Rottweiler in the house. Despite its looks, it was a complete sissy. Totally dedicated to my mom. When I joined the army (after uni), the dog stayed at my parents. Both my parents were early retired, they had plenty of time. And because I have no brothers and sisters, the fact that the dog stayed at their home, gave them a purpose in life: long walks, the dog guarding the house (they lived rather isolated) etc. When the dog died, they didn't get another dog. In retrospect, I can safely say that it went downhill with their health. Physically and mentally.

Menno

Craftsman
    When I lost my first dog, Susie, I was very young. My Dad bought us another one a week later. We named her Susie too. When I got married, my wife was a cat lover so we had a couple of cats, one after the other. A house without pets just seems empty to us. Just over 5 years ago, I talked my wife (frightened of dogs) into getting our present pet - a working chocolate cocker. I named her....Susie! Wouldn’t be without her now. Her only fault is that if you lend her something, you won’t get it back. I’m still waiting for that Tag I loaned her........

It's seems thst those that have had a dog always go and get another. People are correct about the house being empty. To be honest I quite like it quiet after we lost Pau pau, but now it's too quiet.

I'd love a labradoddle but I ain't spending £750 odd on a designer mongrel. We'll hit the rescue centers in 6 weeks.

Recently lost ours but not in a position to replace her. I think were I to be in that position I wouldn't want to leave it more than a couple of weeks. Dog ownership is great and I don't see the need to arbitrarily delay the enjoyment of the next one!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Recently lost ours but not in a position to replace her. I think were I to be in that position I wouldn't want to leave it more than a couple of weeks. Dog ownership is great and I don't see the need to arbitrarily delay the enjoyment of the next one!
    I have to agree - our Springer is 10 and the retired guide dog lab 4 years old. I know i will be devastated when the Springer's time is up leaving me at the bottom of the family pack. But they ar so much part of the family and our lives I would be lost without one by my side

Craftsman
    I lost my GSD about 17 years ago. Said I would never have another dog.
    This came into our home on Wednesday!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My sister (no kids, dog is v important in her life) waited just over a year.

Her new puppy is a rescue puppy from Greece. I've never seen such a well behaved puppy before.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Thats a lovely looking pup SiSetts. Unfortunately life got in the way last time home so we never got round to dog looking.

#seikopath do you know which service your sister used?

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Thats a lovely looking pup SiSetts. Unfortunately life got in the way last time home so we never got round to dog looking.

I'll find out.
    We have quite alot of experience with dogs in our family. My mum used to breed Swedish vallhunds and then bernese mountain dogs. My sister was very impressed with them

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I'll find out.
    We have quite alot of experience with dogs in our family. My mum used to breed Swedish vallhunds and then bernese mountain dogs. My sister was very impressed with them
    Thank you. I think rescue is the way to go, I can't believe the cost of these "designer" mongrels now.

Thank you. I think rescue is the way to go, I can't believe the cost of these "designer" mongrels now.
    There are many, many reasons to get a mutt, both physical and behavioural.

Craftsman

Thankyou subseastu. He is a bit of a stunner.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Ta I'll take a gander

Journeyman
    I think it depends on the individuals involved. When our first dog had to be put to sleep, we said ‘never again’. We lasted 6 weeks before getting a 4-month old Samoyed puppy, Buddy, from a local rescue centre.

That was the start of our love affair with the breed. Another one arrived a year or so later. This time it was a five-year old Samoyed bitch called Kia. Her owner couldn’t look after her any more.
    About 8 years ago we started ‘succession planning’ and got another bitch (Nyla) from a breeder.
    Kia was put to sleep at almost 15 years old. She had terrible arthritis as well as a chronic condition called Diabetes Insipidus. She was a lovely, sweet-natured girl. We loved having three dogs and wasn’t long before another puppy, Ziima arrived.
    Then Buddy was put to sleep - he too had arthritis which was being managed with strong painkillers and we promised ourselves that when the maximum dose stopped working, we’d do the right thing (he says, wiping a tear from his eye). We had a few days before his final trip to the vet’s. In some ways, it was awful - the waiting for the inevitable. However, it also meant we were able to come to terms with the notion of losing him (he was my wife’s soul mate). I remember bawling my eyes out on several occasions.

So, then we were back down to two: Nyla and Ziima. They got on like a house on fire. Just before Christmas, Nyla started to have the odd accident in the house. We put it down to anxiety because of fireworks, which she hated. Then after Christmas, she started being sick, went off her food. Also during this time, we were treating her for an eye ulcer, which was very painful for her.
    The eye ulcer cleared up. Then she went right off her food and was having more accidents in the house and drinking a lot of water. So we went to the vets, suspecting diabetes. If only...
    The vet looked at her gums and they were yellow. She was kept in for tests and they found that her liver was just 20% the size of a normal one. They said it was an infected gall bladder and were going to operate the next day. She died just as the vet was putting her under.
    That has in January. Nyla was ‘my’ dog. She worshipped me and the feeling was entirely mutual. I think I’m just about ready for another one. We’re hoping to get another Samoyed in due course. Until then, we’ve got one, mad, bouncy utterly lovable buffoon of a dog whom I adore.
    Damn I miss her!

No Idea why I felt I should share this or whether it’s relevant. But you’ll know when it’s right for you.

All the best

Mark

Master
    Thanks very much for the comments chaps and some lovely pictures. I'm due away to work next week for 6weeks so on my return we'll start looking at the local rescue centers. Has anyone had any experience with rescue dogs from spain etc?

Try not to compare a potential new dog to a previous one..... they all have their own personalities and sometimes it takes a while for it to show through....

As for dogs from Spain, Romania etc... there are plenty here that need a good home before taking on dogs from abroad..

I know a lady that took a dog in from Romania, she regrets it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Try not to compare a potential new dog to a previous one..... they all have their own personalities and sometimes it takes a while for it to show through....

As for dogs from Spain, Romania etc... there are plenty here that need a good home before taking on dogs from abroad..

Spot on Enoch.

We are a nation of dog lovers.

Other countries have very different attitudes to strays.

Of course, many dogs are destroyed in the uk each year becuase they cannot be rehomed

But to use that as a reason not to rehome dogs from abroad - that's a bit like saying why should we send aid to Ethiopia if they have a famine there while some people are going hungry in the uk

Thats my opinion
    Ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Popey View Post
    I think it depends on the individuals involved. When our first dog had to be put to sleep, we said ‘never again’. We lasted 6 weeks before getting a 4-month old Samoyed puppy, Buddy, from a local rescue centre.

That was the start of our love affair with the breed. Another one arrived a year or so later. This time it was a five-year old Samoyed bitch called Kia. Her owner couldn’t look after her any more.
    About 8 years ago we started ‘succession planning’ and got another bitch (Nyla) from a breeder.
    Kia was put to sleep at almost 15 years old. She had terrible arthritis as well as a chronic condition called Diabetes Insipidus. She was a lovely, sweet-natured girl. We loved having three dogs and wasn’t long before another puppy, Ziima arrived.
    Then Buddy was put to sleep - he too had arthritis which was being managed with strong painkillers and we promised ourselves that when the maximum dose stopped working, we’d do the right thing (he says, wiping a tear from his eye). We had a few days before his final trip to the vet’s. In some ways, it was awful - the waiting for the inevitable. However, it also meant we were able to come to terms with the notion of losing him (he was my wife’s soul mate). I remember bawling my eyes out on several occasions.

So, then we were back down to two: Nyla and Ziima. They got on like a house on fire. Just before Christmas, Nyla started to have the odd accident in the house. We put it down to anxiety because of fireworks, which she hated. Then after Christmas, she started being sick, went off her food. Also during this time, we were treating her for an eye ulcer, which was very painful for her.
    The eye ulcer cleared up. Then she went right off her food and was having more accidents in the house and drinking a lot of water. So we went to the vets, suspecting diabetes. If only...
    The vet looked at her gums and they were yellow. She was kept in for tests and they found that her liver was just 20% the size of a normal one. They said it was an infected gall bladder and were going to operate the next day. She died just as the vet was putting her under.
    That has in January. Nyla was ‘my’ dog. She worshipped me and the feeling was entirely mutual. I think I’m just about ready for another one. We’re hoping to get another Samoyed in due course. Until then, we’ve got one, mad, bouncy utterly lovable buffoon of a dog whom I adore.
    Damn I miss her!

No Idea why I felt I should share this or whether it’s relevant. But you’ll know when it’s right for you.

All the best

Mark
    I've never heard of that breed, just googled it and they are a pretty looking dog. Sorry to read your story though, it is a painful process when your pet becomes that ill. I'm waiting on my wife to make her mind up as she'll be the one who spends the most time the dog if we do get another one. She poured all her heart into the last one and I think she's still very sad about it.

Agree with the first part of your post and partially with your other part. Doesn't matter where the animal comes from, people and animals have different personalities. some get on some don't. If we see an animal from Spain or wherever we like, we'll go for that. Obviously we will be checking out local rescue centers as well.