closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PRS-18Q COSC appreciation thread...

Eddie has posted mine today, so an anticipated wait in the morning! 👍

Apprentice
    I don't want to bother Eddie with trivial questions at the moment, (I'm sure he needs a break from stuffing boxes!) I know the new PRS-18Q COSC is "made in Switzerland" as per the Timefactors website and needs to be to attain the COSC certification but does that mean EVERYTHING is made/sourced and assembled there or is the watch case and some various other bits sourced or made elsewhere and assembled in Switzerland for the certification? The COSC Wikipedia page alludes to watches "manufactured/assembled in Switzerland" which to me implies watches do not necessarily have to be 100% made there but rather just assembled there under COSC regulations. If somebody more knowledgeable can offer any info I'm very curious.

As an aside, I believe that the PRS-18 cases have not been Fricker made for many years, where are they now made?

Thanks!

Apprentice
    Here we go...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by enochRoot View Post
    Here we go...
    That's not very helpful. I'm may be new to this forum but I've been a member of Watchuseek for years. If the discussion that I've prompted has been kicked to death - which by your comment I guess it has - then politely say so and I will do my own further digging. The last thing I intended to do was to start one of these half full / half empty discussions 'cause they're tiring!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That's not very helpful. I'm may be new to this forum but I've been a member of Watchuseek for years. If the discussion that I've prompted has been kicked to death - which by your comment I guess it has - then politely say so and I will do my own further digging. The last thing I intended to do was to start one of these half full / half empty discussions 'cause they're tiring!
    He's only been here a month and half himself

Mine has arrived, many thanks Eddie.

I should have known exactly what I was getting because I've been wearing my 18A for the past month or so.

Differences that I can see are

1. The dial is more grey, perhaps just more matte.
    2. The bezel insert is definitely more matte.
    3. The digits are slightly smaller, as is the L symbol.
    4. The minute hand is fractionally less long, although I wouldn't have noticed had I not been looking for it.
    5. The bezel is more "gritty" and there is a tiny amount of backplay, but nothing to worry about.
    6. The lume, with a very quick and unscientific test, glows slightly less powerfully, but probably perfectly adequately.
    7. The case seems a little lighter in colour

The second hand was missing the markers by a mile on the way up earlier, it seems to have drifted round to the 5 a little now.

Overall I prefer the more matte look on the dial and bezel, but I think I prefer the larger digits.

A not very good photo

Apprentice
    If you've been on Watchuseek for years, you have undoubtedly seen this thread: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/cur...s-1940905.html

And while I only signed up a month and a half ago, I have been visiting to read here for quite some time. Questions like these never turn out well anywhere and are tiresome. The watch is only 250 GBP and comes with COSC certification. Buy it and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post

A not very good photo
    You think?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

No email, no watch...

I know I ordered late in the day so have no complaints but, now that competitions for 'first to arrive' and 'furthest to buyer' are settled, I wondered if I'm in with a shout of winning 'last person to order on day 1 to receive'?

You most probably know that in order to have a COSC certificate, the watch must be assembled in Switzerland, which is why I went to Switzerland for this watch and not Germany. Since they changed the rules, 60% of the value of the watch must be Swiss (it used to be 50%). I don't have a breakdown of origins but it's quite possible that not all components are of Swiss manufacture but I have only ever dealt with the Swiss supplier, received invoices from the Swiss supplier and made payment to the Swiss supplier. When you appoint someone to manage the production of a watch for you, you let them manage it without interference. After submitting the detailed specification, I left them to it other than approving and commenting on the drawings and prototypes. Anyone who has been following this watch will know that there were a couple of tweaks along the way, the most notable being the length of the hands.

You will note that the dial says "Swiss Made": it doesn't say "Swiss Design" or "Swiss Mov't" so I'm quite sure that it conforms to the relevant legislation covering what consitutes "Swiss Made".

Why not pop over to the Rolex Forum and post

I know the new Rolex Submariner COSC is "made in Switzerland" as per the Rolex website and needs to be to attain the COSC certification but does that mean EVERYTHING is made/sourced and assembled there or is the watch case and some various other bits sourced or made elsewhere and assembled in Switzerland for the certification? The COSC Wikipedia page alludes to watches "manufactured/assembled in Switzerland" which to me implies watches do not necessarily have to be 100% made there but rather just assembled there under COSC regulations. If somebody more knowledgeable can offer any info I'm very curious.
    That would provide many hours of entertainment.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice
    Granted, I should know better than to open such a large can of worms but thank you for your answer Eddie.

Master
    #68 checking in.

Arrived today. Will post some pictures later, but happy boy today. On my wrist as I type.

Master
    #5 arrived today and very pleased with it.

Will get a proper look over the weekend, but it appears very good at first glance.

Incidentally I didn't bet a 'dispatch' email but it could well have been ate my my over-enthusiastic Spam filter at work

Granted, I should know better than to open such a large can of worms but thank you for your answer Eddie.
    There is no can of worms to open, it was casting doubt where is no doubt.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

No.50 arrived! Very pleased with it. For the money, excellent. Will put a pic on the Friday thread ☺️

I picked up number 46 from depot today. Very pleased with price, quality and especially the proportions. Thank you Eddie for an excellent watch.
    Nigel

Last edited by tempfort; 14th March 2018 at 21:01.

Apprentice
    So jealous! Mine was slated for delivery today, but the snow storm we just got delayed it until tomorrow!
    Last edited by enochRoot; 14th March 2018 at 18:18.

Apprentice
    "Out for delivery" my 3 favorite words.

Number 53 reporting for duty...

Just to add to the comments that others have made - Eddie has knocked this one for six - thank you.

As a newbie(ish) here it's also great to have seen something progress from a post that Eddie dropped into the forum a few months ago to something now sitting on my wrist

Master
    A few pics...

We haven't had an unboxing so far, so here is the box once the SD bag has been removed:

Few pics of the watch in it's case, with the papers:

Then onto a new strap - an old Timefactors olive green 2-piece:

Few off the wrist:

Pretty impressed with it so far. It is quite light, wears well, hands hit the markers well and is very legible. Bezel can be turned by one hand quite easily, but with firm, positive ciicks. The matte finish on the case makes the watch quite unobtrusive and the AR coating on the sapphire, along with the matte dial makes it easy to read quickly.

I quite like it on the olive green strap, but it also looked good on a RAF Speedbird NATO as well. Am sure it will work well on quite a few options so will try a few more over time.

Already been used in anger - to time dinner this evening.

Thanks Eddie for a remarkable watch at a remarkable price.
    Last edited by bambam; 14th March 2018 at 21:33.

Master
    Everyone is posting their numbers - is a thread to keep track of owners going too far? (he says, all chuffed at getting a single digit number. Snarr) I think it’s been done for a few of Eddies offerings.

Thread running :-)
    Last edited by demonloop; 14th March 2018 at 22:38.

Master
    On Phoenix grey

Apprentice
    I received mine with a yellow microfibre cloth rather than a green one everybody seems to have got, does that make my watch special?!

I received mine with a yellow microfibre cloth rather than a green one everybody seems to have got, does that make my watch special?!
    A nod to your username perhaps?

Arrived at my parents house yesterday, collected this morning, brilliant watch for so little money.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Arghhh flip, got home and a red note from Royal Mail was sitting on the floor. Ready to be picked up from the post office, but i have 2 14 hour days ahead.
    Monday for me

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Arghhh flip, got home and a red note from Royal Mail was sitting on the floor. Ready to be picked up from the post office, but i have 2 14 hour days ahead.
    Monday for me
    Life can be unfair, but it's worth the wait.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Mine has arrived, many thanks Eddie.

I should have known exactly what I was getting because I've been wearing my 18A for the past month or so.

Differences that I can see are

1. The dial is more grey, perhaps just more matte.
    2. The bezel insert is definitely more matte.
    3. The digits are slightly smaller, as is the L symbol.
    4. The minute hand is fractionally less long, although I wouldn't have noticed had I not been looking for it.
    5. The bezel is more "gritty" and there is a tiny amount of backplay, but nothing to worry about.
    6. The lume, with a very quick and unscientific test, glows slightly less powerfully, but probably perfectly adequately.
    7. The case seems a little lighter in colour

The second hand was missing the markers by a mile on the way up earlier, it seems to have drifted round to the 5 a little now.

Overall I prefer the more matte look on the dial and bezel, but I think I prefer the larger digits.

A not very good photo

I prefer this new COSC version but it's close! To me the COSC bezel is ever so slightly narrower rendering the dial a tiny bit bigger the crown looks smaller on the COSC watch.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 15th March 2018 at 21:45.

Just arrived today, stunning watch for the money.

IMG_0132.JPG

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Mine has arrived in Melbourne

Love the watch and strap.

Imagine my surprise to get the serial number I requested AND Eddie had set the time for Melbourne Day Light Savings Time (GMT + 11)!

Great job Eddie and fabulous value for the money

Kind regards

Chris in Melbourne

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Melbourne View Post
    Love the watch and strap.

Imagine my surprise to get the serial number I requested AND Eddie had set the time for Melbourne Day Light Savings Time (GMT + 11)!

Great job Eddie and fabulous value for the money

Kind regards

Chris in Melbourne
    Didn't take long to make it over to you and not at all surprised that the time was already set for your time-zone.

I know a few people have commented on the case being a darker grey than the previous model. I took mine for a dive this week and gave it a bit of scrub with soapy water last night which seems to have made the case a bit lighter. Might be anecdotal, but it certainly seems different. Almost as though there's a very light oily coating when it leaves the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    I know a few people have commented on the case being a darker grey than the previous model. I took mine for a dive this week and gave it a bit of scrub with soapy water last night which seems to have made the case a bit lighter. Might be anecdotal, but it certainly seems different. Almost as though there's a very light oily coating when it leaves the factory.
    The case on my COSC is slightly lighter than that on my 9015 18A.

Apprentice
    Received yesterday. It's my first Time Factors watch and it is as gorgeous as the pictures suggest [#43 for those keeping track]. Packed to survive a zombie apocalypse, no idea how Eddie gets the watch into the cardboard shipping container.
    What really blew me away was that the watch was already set to the correct time! I live in Chicago, so Eddie got both the timezone and daylight savings time offset correct. Unexpected, and appreciated. Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by AR413 View Post
    Received yesterday. It's my first Time Factors watch and it is as gorgeous as the pictures suggest [#43 for those keeping track]. Packed to survive a zombie apocalypse, no idea how Eddie gets the watch into the cardboard shipping container.
    What really blew me away was that the watch was already set to the correct time! I live in Chicago, so Eddie got both the timezone and daylight savings time offset correct. Unexpected, and appreciated. Kudos!
    When shipping internationally, I get the local time from this site - https://www.timeanddate.com/

No point setting a mechanical though ;-)

Eddie

Used in anger on a recent trip to the kitchen. Eddie, please feel free to send any new watches to me for location promo shots.

Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    Used in anger on a recent trip to the kitchen. Eddie, please feel free to send any new watches to me for location promo shots.
    Are you mad?!

Evry fule noze detergents will b*gger seals...

;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Are you mad?!

Evry fule noze detergents will b*gger seals...

;-)

R
    I think you know I maybe mad [Is b*ggering seals a diver thing?]

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Attractive she is, now where's my club and condom.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by AR413 View Post
    What really blew me away was that the watch was already set to the correct time
    x2.

picked mine up on thursday morning and finally got round to UXing it this morning. went well, double seal was no issue and case design makes for a nice effect.
    my watch was set to NZ time when it arrived, nice touch.

reset to Time.is and will run for a month and see what the go is, obviously battery life is down but from previous jobs it has a minimal impact.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    When shipping internationally, I get the local time from this site - https://www.timeanddate.com/

No point setting a mechanical though ;-)

Eddie
    My PRS5-Broadarrow was running at the correct time when I received it. However, quite a while later I timed the power reserve at a little under 68 hours, so you were on pretty safe ground. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    picked mine up on thursday morning and finally got round to UXing it this morning. went well, double seal was no issue and case design makes for a nice effect.
    my watch was set to NZ time when it arrived, nice touch.

reset to Time.is and will run for a month and see what the go is, obviously battery life is down but from previous jobs it has a minimal impact.
    Love it. Looks awesome.

Apprentice
    Her it is, #30 on a Bond's Nato & Geckota Shark mesh....more than happy

#51 arrived this morning

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks to Eddie for sending me the number I requested - 41.

Comparision with my A

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Nice Andy! Absolutely boss.